PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 January 2023

ShinjiNinja26

Absolute sickener but I suppose the fact that a draw feels like a defeat now shows how far we’ve come as a team. Last season we’d be lucky to get out of there with a draw.

kaku06

Vulgarian
McTominay is chaos. Pure, unadulterated chaos.

It's not just about what he does on an individual level, but it's what his presence does to the team overall. How many times in the past have we brought on McTominay to shore up things to secure the win, only for him to become the bringer of the chaos which results in the result turning negative? It's happened so many times.
People here have told me that he’s better than Ruben neves, franck kessie, Tielemens and Declan rice as a footballer.

glasgow 21

That Var Penalty Non decision is retribution for saturday plain and simple at least minimum there was enough to ask the ref to look.

Bobade

I'm actually fuming with this result. Should have hooked Case, should have had a pen, classic wonder goal against us for the opposition.

But in reality , it happens. Few wrong decisions, yes, but we dominated for first half and I don't think we were as bad the second half as some make out. Weghorst has been with the team about two days so can't expect too much, but personally thought he looked OK. Good hold up play and movement in the box. Just an unlucky day and an only ok performance, but it puts loads of pressure on the Arsenal match now.

Bertie Wooster

I think we'd have, rightly, got given that penalty had Guardiola not played the 'refs favour United' card after the last game. And was backed up by some gits in the media.

Every time that becomes a 'thing', we start getting given very little as refs feel under pressure and are concerned about being seen as favouring us. They know full well that decisions given for us will be scrutinised much more than decisions given against us.

It was a poor performance, and we should have played better and pushed more for that second goal. But it's still frustrating that, once again, another manager making a dig about refs favouring us has again been quickly rewarded by influencing refs decisions against us.

Dominos

Eth is to partly blame for today. Tok early he decided to close the game. Last 30 minutes we didn't plsy at all
Is no one wondering why we find ourselves in this position nearly every game?

We don't put enough effort in to getting a 2 or 3 goal cushion. We're constantly bringing on Maguire for the last 5 minutes so he can the head the ball away as we hang on for dear life to a scrappy 1 goal lead. Even going back to Leicester/Southampton in gameweek 4/5 and we've just continued that pattern.

As soon as Palace equalised we started playing again and we looked like scoring with every attack. There's a mentality problem.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Luckless.Should have had a penalty in the 2nd half for the foul on McTom. We didn’t really get after them enough though.Looked a bit toothless up front. Feel for Casemiro. Great effort from him.

Siorac

Palace were fecking shite but made us shit our pants some reason all second half. Every fecker just giving the ball away for no reason, inviting pressure and meant that booking for Casemiro was always coming. At a ground like Palace if you give the ball away like that consistently the fans lap it up and it spurred their team on. Livid with that performance when with some composure we win that 3-0
Yeah I don't understand all the panic during the second half. Every bit of composure and control we had disappeared and I'm not sure why. Are we just physically wrecked to this extent?

city-puma

Massive setback and our winning run can’t go longer than 5 in league. Hope this become an extra motivation to win against Arsenal next. We can do it.

ArbeitervonWien

I'm so gutted. Feck all of it, feck football, feck VAR, feck Casemiro (no, not really - bless him, but feck him tonight), feck fecking freekicks in the corner of the goal in the dying minutes of a game.

On a positive note: Weghorst looks great. Not at playing football unfortunately.

dinostar77

We need to improve the squad depth. We need better quality players to come on.

Also ETH did mess up with the substitutions. We were in control of the game, but the substiutions somehow allowed Palace to have more of the ball and we lost control.

Dash247

Of course its very frustrating to drop points, but we can't win every single game.

The biggest win for us this season is to see us play like a proper team and proper vision, may be thats after world cup and after CR7 left the club. I do not think this happened in a long time.

We are still in this and are competing for multiple trophies.

Lets' Go Team and win that game against Arsenal despite not having Casemiro.

Savlehest

come on, this is football. That free kick was world class and you only do it 1:1000 times. Of cause we should win and could do better. would be a well deserved 3 points if not for that shot.
Just wait, after the Arsenal game we will all be on the moon again. I am really just happy about see a fighting team who can beat everyone. Look at us 12 month ago, so much better!

Josh 76

To all those fans who wanted the strongest team today, hope your happy.

The players looked shattered. Now the big issue is what does Ten Haag do on Sunday? He has no choice, but to make changes

dinostar77

Massive setback and our winning run can’t go longer than 5 in league. Hope this become an extra motivation to win against Arsenal next. We can do it.
Huge setback as we would have been six behind arsenal with one game played more by us. If somehow we won at the weekend. The gap would have been down to 3 points. That would have been huge psychologically.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agree with this, really frustrating but we dont have a Haaland to put games beyond teams.
Yep. It's why our goal difference is shit. We have been on a great run but our team isn't capable of really racking up the wins because we don't have the players to put the games out of reach before they get encouragement. It's happened multiple times this season, if the game stays at 1-0, every team can get lucky. Getting the 2nd is vital to being a top team

RedDevilQuebecois

Agree with this, really frustrating but we dont have a Haaland to put games beyond teams.
One thing I did not understand is why we pulled Weghorst out so early. Even though he did not register a shot, one could see he was making those runs and that he was working his socks off at both ends of the pitch. According to Transfermarkt, he played the full 90 in all league matches for Besiktas. I'm sure he would have gone the distance today if he was allowed to play the full 90 to keep the Palace defenders honest.

Waynne

I really think there's a lot of positives to take from that game.

The players would have been exhausted after the City game and we can't play well every game.

Sometimes taking a point and keeping an unbeaten run going when we're not quite at our best can let us keep our momentum.

Could have easily lost that tonight, 2 incredible saves from De Gea.
This.

I'd rather a point that nothing at all and the boys have been doing very well recently so I'm not going to bash them. We're only growing more as a unit and that for me is good enough.

Over time the consistency will be there when we had a chance to recruit more players to add depth. Something which is lacking right now.

Real Name

This kind of things happen. Should have scored a 2nd and absolutely silly yellow by Casemiro.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I think we'd have, rightly, got given that penalty had Guardiola not played the 'refs favour United' card after the last game. And was backed up by some gits in the media.

Every time that becomes a 'thing', we start getting given very little as refs feel under pressure and are concerned about being seen as favouring us. They know full well that decisions given for us will be scrutinised much more than decisions given against us.

It was a poor performance, and we should have played better and pushed more for that second goal. But it's still frustrating that, once again, another manager making a dig about refs favouring us has again been quickly rewarded by influencing refs decisions against us.
Ferguson, as good a manager as he was, did the exact same thing for years. The greats eek every single advantage they can to win. If ETH wants that, he has to learn how to do that to.

thisISben

Feels like such a loss after our recent form, but if someone said we’d get 4 points from City & Palace I’d probably have taken it….just maybe not in the order we got them in.

Really trying to cure my pessimism here…

Coops73

We were so much better than them, should have been a pen and gutted to have Casemiro booked but you know the media narrative will be so much against us.

Get a win against arsenal and this will look positive.

CloneMC16

Is Olise a United fan or something? He barely celebrated after scoring a worldie.

DavidDeSchmikes

happened a few seasons ago with the "high" number of penalties we were getting. Keys, Lampard, Klopp

StiffTackle

Was always going to be tough to sustain this run. On another day we have Martial and Sancho chomping at the bit to come on and we get the second goal.

Yes its a setback, but there’s literally half a season to go and I think there are more twists and turns in the league still to come.

Real Name

The players looked shattered. Now the big issue is what does Ten Haag do on Sunday? He has no choice, but to make changes
What changes. Its in 4 days, of course he'll play the strongest team.

A-man

We are doing the no-rotation thing like we are a small club. Maybe not a City bench but still, almost every player on our bench would start for Palace.
It will be tough on Sunday considering some key players looked exhausted today.

RomfordRed75

Thoroughly frustrating night. Denied a stone wall penalty, Casemiros booking, the equaliser. We weren't great but it really feels like we were.robbed of 3 points.
Anyway onwards and upwards and as ETH said "we beat Arsenal without Casemiro earlier in the season" so why not again.

MegadrivePerson

I am a believer in karma and we've had no luck tonight, possibly on the back of the first goal against City.

Hugely disappointing to concede so late in the game.

The team still looks very short on goalscoring potential. Not signing a decent level of striker in January could be the difference between a genuine title challenge.

Lyng

So many talk about lack of pace when in reality what killed us was like of composure and control. Less flicks and more intelligent play and we easily win this.

The Irish Connection

Disappointing performance. So sloppy in passing compared to other games recently and lacked energy to press and win it back in the second half.
Not confident for the Arsenal game.

city-puma

Huge setback as we would have been six behind arsenal with one game played more by us. If somehow we won at the weekend. The gap would have been down to 3 points. That would have been huge psychologically.
Agree. I originally hope we can string a league winning run for more than ten games. It’s ok it ceases at the mid point. But we can try again. If we achieve it, we can still catch them I think. It’s difficult but not impossible.

MegadrivePerson

You say that but Arsenals goal difference is worth an extra point.

jmatrix85

Why didn't their goal scorer celebrate? He a United fan?
Thought that myself so looked it up. Apparently he is a bit weird like that and doesnt always celebrate goals.
Quality freekick though so have to give the lad credit.
We played crap second half. Looked a bit leggy. Could have still nicked it though. 100% was a penalty and score that and it was game over. Casemiro lunge was silly and probably came out of frustration. Losing him against Arsenal is huge. We beat Arsenal without him but they didnt have Partey then either. You can't win every game and there will be bumps in the road still.

The fact this draw feels like a loss shows how far we have come. We are on the same points as City right now, granted playing a game less!!! We were never going to be in a title challenge this season. The fact we even for a moment thought it possible shows how quickly Ten Hag is making an impact. Arteta has been at Arsenal since 2019. Ten Hag has been here a matter of months.

SirScholes

Hard to take, we wasted several killer balls.
I thought rashford went back to playing for himself, could have moved the ball quicker instead of trying to take on the whole palace defence.

Couldn’t take the sting out the game and played into palace hands

Long Time Red

I actually have no issue with the no penalty PROVIDED that's how all games are going to be refereed from now on.

I think Richards might get the tiniest of touches and it's hard to tell for sure that he doesn't.

If that's Varane on Odegaard on Saturday then I probably don't want a penalty given against us for that either so let's just hope for some consistency.

Judas

Open to offers
Really disappointing. I was hoping the Casemiro booking would be the big negative, but really felt like we threw it away a bit.

We were wasteful and greedy in some of those late attacks, that scewed us over.

Gutted to put it bluntly. But these things happen. We were very controlled for most that second half, more so than we have been in the past.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Thought that myself so looked it up. Apparently he is a bit weird like that and doesnt always celebrate goals.
Quality freekick though so have to give the lad credit.
We played crap second half. Looked a bit leggy. Could have still nicked it though. 100% was a penalty and score that and it was game over. Casemiro lunge was silly and probably came out of frustration. Losing him against Arsenal is huge. We beat Arsenal without him but they didnt have Partey then either. You can't win every game and there will be bumps in the road still.

The fact this draw feels like a loss shows how far we have come. We are on the same points as City right now, granted playing a game less!!! We were never going to be in a title challenge this season. The fact we even for a moment thought it possible shows how quickly Ten Hag is making an impact. Arteta has been at Arsenal since 2019. Ten Hag has been here a matter of months.
If Casemiro hadn't made that lunge they'd have like scored being clean through in the middle of the area

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd