PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 January 2023

Wrecking ralf

Does that Casemiro booking make a back 3 needed rather than relying on mctominay against arsenal. Varane/Martinez/ Shaw with Martinez stepping up a bit maybe

If we get the penalty we win 3-0. On Saturday we got a decision, that's it for the season now. Shame about Casemiro yellow, although fully deserved.
It still took a worldy for Palace to gain a point.

croadyman

Why put a limit on things?
If we'd come through tonight, which we very nearly did, we'd have gone into the weekend full confidence, then who knows?
We're in January for goodness sake.
Please don't say that feeling sick enough already

iamking

Thought that myself so looked it up. Apparently he is a bit weird like that and doesnt always celebrate goals.
Quality freekick though so have to give the lad credit.
We played crap second half. Looked a bit leggy. Could have still nicked it though. 100% was a penalty and score that and it was game over. Casemiro lunge was silly and probably came out of frustration. Losing him against Arsenal is huge. We beat Arsenal without him but they didnt have Partey then either. You can't win every game and there will be bumps in the road still.

The fact this draw feels like a loss shows how far we have come. We are on the same points as City right now, granted playing a game less!!! We were never going to be in a title challenge this season. The fact we even for a moment thought it possible shows how quickly Ten Hag is making an impact. Arteta has been at Arsenal since 2019. Ten Hag has been here a matter of months.
I think we have done very well this season. But I also think in some ways the table is overstating our progress. So all this overreaction from the CP draw sounds really silly considering our goal at the start of the season was top 4 and we are well on track for it.

Pool played 60 odd games last season. With an ageing midfield and injury prone defense, they have tanked badly this season. I fully expect them to refresh their midfield and be way up higher in the table next season. Same with City, all their players look jaded from a difficult PL season last year and the mid season world cup definitely has taken a big toll on both teams. Unlike Pool however they had the resources to bring in massive players without losing their cream (a.k.a Halland). With the wholesale changes happening in Chelsea (bringing in Potter for "Tuchel", etc.). These 3 teams are massively underperforming. It has significantly helped us, and Arsenal.

That said, even with those teams doing well, I think we would still be up there right in the mix for Top 4. That's how well ETH has done in the short time he has been here, considering most of our core is still the same from last season. Casemiro has been brilliant, but needs cover. With a Striker and a Midfield cover added in the summer, I expect us to really push forward next season. Watching the games I feel, despite how well Rashford has done, his decision making hasn't been great in the final third. I can't wait to see how well we will do with a proper striker next season. Also, Wout is underrated, he did surprisingly well when he came on for Holland. Hopefully he will fill in till the end of season.

Heinzesight

Having calmed down…up until we tired and started giving the ball away for fun, it was a good performance at a tricky away. We were so comfortable and in control the first 50/60 minutes but the wank non-penalty decision plus tiredness fcuked us in the end. We can’t forget we did play really fecking well for a lot of the match.

The players and ETH will learn from it and yeah we go to Arsenal without Casemiro, but Martinez and Varane will deal with the little pricks.

mav_9me

So many talk about lack of pace when in reality what killed us was like of composure and control. Less flicks and more intelligent play and we easily win this.
Spot on. Kept giving away the ball with stupid flicks all 2nd half.

croadyman

Our players are daft, we have a target man upfront but we never played off him enough. I remember only 3 crosses into him two were way off.

Casemiro should have been off long before that card.
Yeah wtf was he still out there on 80 mins

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Until we learn to control the while 90 minutes, we are going to see lot of setbacks. Title talk was all premature. Just keep the momentum and try for top 3.

City would have subbed in Foden, Gundagon and Alvarez.

Our options were Wout , McT and a 17 year old kid. Patience is required.

croadyman

The penalty was annoying, but sometimes you feel these idiotic decisions are going to happen when you've had a lucky break the game before.

Palace didn't do much and rescued it on a wonder goal. 2 points dropped is frustrating. Going to have to play on the counter vs Arsenal without Casemrio in the middle.
Oh yeah we were always gonna get a shit decision from VAR after all the fuss on Saturday

oz insomniac

Not sure how McTom is ever on the field before Fred, oh he’s 6’3” and academy, he’s always looked like a back up CB as control and passing is not on his radar.
As I live in the other side of the world, must assume he’s a dynamite trainer and really nice to the manager, as his onfield contributions have got worse year on year.

moodyred

Rashford was too desperate to get his goal. Refusing to pass even when he runs into defenders.

glasgow 21

Casemiro feel sorry for him but listen guys don't panic. Ten Hags on the phone as we speak, we are activating Enzo Fernandez release clause 8am tomorrow so he will be in manchester tomorrow afternoon and registered before friday lunchtime. So don't panic.

Will Singh

I don’t understand why he kept Casemiro on when McT came on, to be perfectly honest I was surprised he started with Arsenal coming up I thought he’d be on the bench. The yellow card hurts more then the draw as it took them a worldy to score…

croadyman

We need to improve the squad depth. We need better quality players to come on.

Also ETH did mess up with the substitutions. We were in control of the game, but the substiutions somehow allowed Palace to have more of the ball and we lost control.
Won't be doing anything about squad depth until the summer,well Sancho back for Cup games (prediction) will help a bit

Castia

Still gutted hours later. First the yellow card then the dropped points is a real sucker punch.

croadyman

Was always going to be tough to sustain this run. On another day we have Martial and Sancho chomping at the bit to come on and we get the second goal.

Yes its a setback, but there’s literally half a season to go and I think there are more twists and turns in the league still to come.
Well perhaps if Premier League hadn't pushed us into playing it tonight we could have had them available, absolute feckers

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Fatigue setting in. I still believe we can beat Arsenal.

croadyman

Yep. It's why our goal difference is shit. We have been on a great run but our team isn't capable of really racking up the wins because we don't have the players to put the games out of reach before they get encouragement. It's happened multiple times this season, if the game stays at 1-0, every team can get lucky. Getting the 2nd is vital to being a top team
Yeah far too often in these tight away games we rely on 1 goal to get us over line. We got away with it against Southampton Leicester and Wolves but not tonight. Have to get more ruthless in second half of season in preparation for being in this position next season.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah far too often in these tight away games we rely on 1 goal to get us over line. We got away with it against Southampton and Leicester but not tonight. Have to get more ruthless in second half of season in preparation for being in this position next season.
Eh it's not so much about being more ruthless, I mean yes we are underperforming a tiny bit to our chances we've created on the year but generally we just need an elite striker if we want to step up from being a good top 4 side to being a title challenging side. Our team has a title challenging defence, a title challenging midfield, a title challenging system, we defend as a team to a title challenging standard... But the attack is meh. Rashford is excellent, but he is our only performing attacker this season.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Cas yellow felt like a red and the equalizer felt like arsenal had scored it.

MUFC OK

Why has not a single person mentioned that de Geas positioning/the wall was all wrong for their goal?

left footer on the free kick, it was always going to that corner - so why not put the wall to the far side and de Gea take the near post.

Do you realise how improbable it would be for Olise to stick that in the far corner? I think that was a tactical mistake. But still, once we set up like that, it was a great hit. Having played as a GK I’d always force the taker to shoot for their least favoured side personally.

SirMattlives

Giving away silly free kicks around the penalty area -- we know attackers will try falling over if given a chance but there's no need to make it easy for them to do so with mins left on the clock. Irritating that we gave them the chance, but it was a great shot to score. Poor from us in second half.

manclad1256

Should've had a penalty, then we give away a freak equaliser.

Not sure how two referees came to the conclusion that it wasn't a foul on McT. As clear of a trip as it gets.
I mean its pretty obvious, they aint gonna give it cos of all the fall out. Sports and football is so corrupt. Even martinez nearly gets knocked out and the player doesn’t even get carded. Mctominay would probably have to have been karate kicked in the face to get a penalty tonight. Makes me sick

manclad1256

Yeah, look possibly poor in game management, but at the end of the day it was a wonder goal that got them level, should have scored at the end, but jesus how did mctominay not get the peno, maybe they felt after City game couldn't give another VAR call
Well that would be corruption. WhIc
This ABU conspiracy shit is insufferable. Come on.
Its facts. If yOu cant see it youre mad. When we are a goal ahead we get denied clear opportunities to kill the game off. Happened here, against everton, and against wolves to name a few

NK86

Now that it's been a few hours, realized we are literally just at the half way stage. Plenty of points to still play for and after this weekend we would have played the top 2 home and away.

The fixture schedule is very congested but we have a run of winnable games coming up in the league before we play Pool away. Time to get back on the winning run starting with the weekend fixture.

As long as we can keep hanging onto their coat-tails, it's still everything to play for.

Frank Grimes

What really hurts about the result is that Palace are rubbish and I couldn't see them scoring.

Too many unnecessary flicks tonight, Bruno the main culprit, noticed it in 1st half and it continued into 2nd when another attempted flick from Bruno led to Casemiro's yellow.

reelworld

McTominay should've had a penalty. How on Earth that is not a penalty. Missed the ball, take out the legs. Clear penalty even without having to check VAR

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd