PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 January 2023

downunder red

One way to look at it is Casemiro gets a well deserved rest.
If we are going to win trophies again we have to learn to win games like Arsenal without certain players through the season. We lost Roy Keane in the semi in 99 and the rest is history.
Looking forward to Sunday, to sea what the boss comes up with.
Loving every bit of this year with the more ups than downs.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You could say we were unlucky, but Palace had some close chances too, so... Overall we didn't deserve much more than a draw.

Our squad is too thin .Cant' be playing Rashford every 3 days, of course he will not last.

I felt sorry for WW. He is so new, he doesn't yet understand his teammate's move. He looked totally lost.
Antony, however is starting to piss me off. He is pretty horrible. Forget about insane money we played for him, he looked like somebody who playes in relegation zone of Championship. He needs to get his shit together!

manclad1256

The level of frustration is a reflection of how well we've been doing of late.

Not a vintage performance but we were on the brink of another win on the bounce with another clean sheet to boot

Then suddenly a wonderful freekick flies in. football can do that to you unfortunately

Gutted but let's not forget where we've come from
I dont see it like that. I see it as on the brink of a clean sheet etc, and then shaw makes a rash challenge and gives away a silly, unnecessary free kick that loses us 3 full points and going 2nd.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Frustrating one that. Being 1-0 up after 90 minutes you expect to win, but on the balance of play a draw was probably fair enough. Felt like we definitely had one eye on the game on Sunday. Foul on McT was definitely a pen, but we got the rub of the green on Saturday against city so hard to complain too much about that one. Time to recover and figure out how to compensate for Casemiro on Sunday - not an easy one.

Nicoseth

You could say we were unlucky, but Palace had some close chances too, so... Overall we didn't deserve much more than a draw.

Our squad is too thin .Cant' be playing Rashford every 3 days, of course he will not last.

I felt sorry for WW. He is so new, he doesn't yet understand his teammate's move. He looked totally lost.
Antony, however is starting to piss me off. He is pretty horrible. Forget about insane money we played for him, he looked like somebody who playes in relegation zone of Championship. He needs to get his shit together!
This is definitely a concern. We could actually do with losing to Barca. It would allow us to recover for league games. I think we are good enough to get top 4 if we're fit, so Europa League, while nice to win it, is not a priority, imo.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This is definitely a concern. We could actually do with losing to Barca. It would allow us to recover for league games. I think we are good enough to get top 4 if we're fit, so Europa League, while nice to win it, is not a priority, imo.
So a top 4 is priority over winning a trophy that gets you in to the same competition - that quite frankly is nuts!

Nicoseth

So a top 4 is priority over winning a trophy that gets you in to the same competition - that quite frankly is nuts!
It's really not. It's a trophy that could jeopardize our chances of top 4, which are more realistic. I agree that the EL is winnable, and it would be great to win a trophy, but top 4 via the league is easier, especially if we don't have a squad that's running on fumes.

croadyman

Why has not a single person mentioned that de Geas positioning/the wall was all wrong for their goal?

left footer on the free kick, it was always going to that corner - so why not put the wall to the far side and de Gea take the near post.

Do you realise how improbable it would be for Olise to stick that in the far corner? I think that was a tactical mistake. But still, once we set up like that, it was a great hit. Having played as a GK I’d always force the taker to shoot for their least favoured side personally.
Oh no it's not Villa away again which coincidentally was last time we dropped points

croadyman

I dont see it like that. I see it as on the brink of a clean sheet etc, and then shaw makes a rash challenge and gives away a silly, unnecessary free kick that loses us 3 full points and going 2nd.
Oh no yet more schoolboy errors when we should be keeping the ball down other end

MUFC OK

Oh no it's not Villa away again which coincidentally was last time we dropped points
Yep. That’s on David. Force the taker to go far post and it’s almost impossible to score. Olise’s was a great FK, but he was shown where to put it.

croadyman

Yep. That’s on David. Force the taker to go far post and it’s almost impossible to score. Olise’s was a great FK, but he was shown where to put it.
Jeez it could have been prevented then

croadyman

Yee I’d say so, or at least made harder for the taker. Definitely not the only reason we didn’t win though based on 2nd half.
Yeah that second half fecked me off,STOP trying to hold on rather than killing games off,has cost us pushing Arsenal this season now

MUFC OK

Yeah that second half fecked me off,STOP trying to hold on rather than killing games off,has cost us pushing Arsenal this season now
Let’s see mate. Key to avoid defeat on Sunday. 1-0 never enough to think you’ve won a game in the PL though, I agree.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I don’t get all the fuss on here over the 1 point. We’re still in the Top 4. We were never going to win the league with this paper thin squad. And one bad game doesn’t mean Rashford’s streak has come to an end. Let’s have some perspective

Frank Grimes

Hope Barca smash us in first leg. Our squad is not large enough to compete on 4 fronts. I'm confident we will get top 4 and the bookies odds suggest that our chances of getting top 4 are significantly better than winning Europa League. It's a nuisance.

Fahad Jawaid

I think it's a lesson for us though that one nil is never enough in PL. The other team is always in it. That's where having a world class number 9 helps. Or for us that is Rashford to play like a reasonable footballer and we win that match.

I remember there was a sequence around 85 mins with two counter attacks and we had 4vs 4 and Rashford messed up both due to his selfishness. I told myself it appears to be one of those days and when their player scored. I was actually half expecting them to score so it was not unexpected.

MUFC OK

I think it's a lesson for us though that one nil is never enough in PL. The other team is always in it. That's where having a world class number 9 helps. Or for us that is Rashford to play like a reasonable footballer and we win that match.

I remember there was a sequence around 85 mins with two counter attacks and we had 4vs 4 and Rashford messed up both due to his selfishness. I told myself it appears to be one of those days and when their player scored. I was actually half expecting them to score so it was not unexpected.
Was that a lesson we needed? That’s been clear to anyone who has watched the PL for a long time. Poor passing didn’t allow us to sustain attacks and Marcus was greedy but see how we managed to find a gear with 2 mins to go after conceding, definitely should have gone for it more.

croadyman

Was that a lesson we needed? That’s been clear to anyone who has watched the PL for a long time. Poor passing didn’t allow us to sustain attacks and Marcus was greedy but see how we managed to find a gear with 2 mins to go after conceding, definitely should have gone for it more.
Perhaps we needed punishing in an earlier game and tonight they see things out better

croadyman

Still only half way through the season, after arsenal we won’t play the top 2 again either. Draw would be okay.
Nah draw is no use whatsoever,only could afford that if we won tonight but bottled it badly

MUFC OK

Nah draw is no use whatsoever,only could afford that if we won tonight but bottled it badly
I think the title is out of reach anyway, sadly, but we had no right to expect to be in the hunt. Would need Arsenal to go on a terrible run and that won’t happen.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don’t get all the fuss on here over the 1 point. We’re still in the Top 4. We were never going to win the league with this paper thin squad. And one bad game doesn’t mean Rashford’s streak has come to an end. Let’s have some perspective
I will agree wit that. Never forget what is the real objective of the season

croadyman

I think the title is out of reach anyway, sadly, but we had no right to expect to be in the hunt. Would need Arsenal to go on a terrible run and that won’t happen.
Focusing on League Cup Semi Final now,hard to feel any excitement from our point of view now on Sunday with that gap at 8 (UGH that's huge)

Last edited:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Well that would be corruption. WhIc

Its facts. If yOu cant see it youre mad. When we are a goal ahead we get denied clear opportunities to kill the game off. Happened here, against everton, and against wolves to name a few
That’s not what a fact is.

Sgreddevil

Are the free kick takers from mid and bottom teams much better trained than ours? We always get sucker punched at the end by such free kicks. On the other hand, our free kick takers are terrible and most of the time i don't have high hope of them scoring, unlike in the past when we had beckham.
I think we are also not well trained in understanding when and where should not be making rash challenges and giving free kicks away. I wondered if Shaw was overly excited. He did not have to make a tackle. He just need to contain and shepherd the player away from the goal. Stupid way to give away 2 points especiallt when var not on our side last night

Melvin_

Supports
United
Yeah the result was very disappointing but I remember last year drawing to Everton and Ole just smiling and putting his thumbs up! We are still a work in process but slowly we are getting there!

GreatDane

We were never going to win the league this year, our squad just isn't good enough outside of our first 11.

Still in all cups, still undefeated since the WC and we beat Arsenal without Casemiro last time. We are doing good.

croadyman

We were never going to win the league this year, our squad just isn't good enough outside of our first 11.

Still in all cups, still undefeated since the WC and we beat Arsenal without Casemiro last time. We are doing good.
Yeah only because Partey wasn't playing and we are a different prospect at home than away

Devil77

Speechless how shit that second half was. How are we being outplayed by Crystal fecking Palace? So many players should be ashamed of themselves after that second half.
We were definitely not outplayed. Our problem was that we gave away the ball far too easily when we looked for the killer pass instead of being more patient. The subs didn’t help us getting more composed either.

Having said that, Palace didn’t deserve the equaliser. 29 times out of 30 that free kick doesn’t go in.

croadyman

Are the free kick takers from mid and bottom teams much better trained than ours? We always get sucker punched at the end by such free kicks. On the other hand, our free kick takers are terrible and most of the time i don't have high hope of them scoring, unlike in the past when we had beckham.
I think we are also not well trained in understanding when and where should not be making rash challenges and giving free kicks away. I wondered if Shaw was overly excited. He did not have to make a tackle. He just need to contain and shepherd the player away from the goal. Stupid way to give away 2 points especiallt when var not on our side last night
Should buy Ward-Prowse in summer

Devil77

Hope Barca smash us in first leg. Our squad is not large enough to compete on 4 fronts. I'm confident we will get top 4 and the bookies odds suggest that our chances of getting top 4 are significantly better than winning Europa League. It's a nuisance.
Weird take. Getting smashed by Barca will not help us with the confidence and momentum needed to get top 4 in the PL. Moyes mentality really!

Frank Grimes

Weird take. Getting smashed by Barca will not help us with the confidence and momentum needed to get top 4 in the PL. Moyes mentality really!
Disagree think it's the clever play. Play our second string. Europa League holds no value this season unlike other ones where it was our best chance of getting top 4. We can go all out for domestic honours.

Our forward line options consists of Weghorst and the perma crock Martial ffs. Get real.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd