PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 January 2023

Bertie Wooster

Ferguson, as good a manager as he was, did the exact same thing for years. The greats eek every single advantage they can to win. If ETH wants that, he has to learn how to do that to.
I'd say a big difference to that is that the media called out Fergie's comments for what they were - mind games, putting pressure on refs, etc. They didn't just back up his comments and help heap further pressure on officials for us.

But when managers play the same 'United get all the decisions' bs, it gets backed up by the media, discussed everywhere as a valid 'thing', and we start seeing blatant decisions go wrongly against us.

I've no real issue with the managers saying bs stuff - as you say, they all do it. It's the validity and support that those bs claims are given by the media when it's said about us that's so frustrating - as it makes it a bigger thing than it should be and heaps even more pressure on the officials to give us absolutely nothing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Now I've calmed down a bit I do want to give some props to the defensive structure we have in place, Palace's only chances to score were from a corner, a 35 yard free kick and a worldie attempt from the edge of the box. We're conceding so few chances compared to previous seasons. If the attack and midfield pull their finger out offensively then we can still win a cup this season. I'm hoping this is a case of ten Hag building from the base, then expanding onto the attack but only time will tell.

dinostar77

Its games like this where if we had harry kane, he'd score a brace and we'd have the game tucked by 60mins.

We really do need an elite no9.

Its games against teams outside the top six, where peak Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez, Salah etc did so much damage. They would help have the game wrapped up early. We need a elite forward if we are to win PL again.

George The Best

Poor effort, tried to cruise it. Rashford looked to still be carrying his injury but the intensity was lacking from the whole team. Ref didn’t help by not giving an obvious pen on McTom, and Casemiro booking is a disaster. Need more from Antony for the price, didn’t take on a man all night - AWB was more dangerous than him down the right. Forget the title race, just need to keep the focus for top 4

Bertie Wooster

happened a few seasons ago with the "high" number of penalties we were getting. Keys, Lampard, Klopp
That's right.

I knew something like that had happened in the last couple of seasons, but couldn't remember the exact details otherwise I'd have included it. Of course, as you say, it was all those playing the 'United get too many penalties' card. All of a sudden, we couldn't get any no matter how blatant.

George The Best

I am a believer in karma and we've had no luck tonight, possibly on the back of the first goal against City.

Hugely disappointing to concede so late in the game.

The team still looks very short on goalscoring potential. Not signing a decent level of striker in January could be the difference between a genuine title challenge.
Forget the title challenge, never on. Top 4 has to be the aim now.

Lentwood

Sorry, but that's rubbish. You are not paying attention if you think that.
Care to articulate? Its not an uncommon opinion, I know some United fans personally who think he's awful - I wouldnt go that far but he is a liability at times

He's undoubtedly an effective player but is he the sort of player you want on the pitch when you're leading an away game 1-0? For me, it comes down to decision making and maturity and he is lacking in both areas.

always_hoping

Ten Hag on McTominay call: 'You have to accept the decisions from VAR, from the referees. I look in the mirror, I look to my team, I look to my own managing and coaching and I say invest more for the second goal then you avoid situations you are dependent on the referee

Gorse Hill Red

We all know why that pen was not given, disgraceful that a ref and VAR is influenced by a decision made in the previous game.

LordSpud

I thought we played well today just lacked a bit in front of goal. Selhurst Park has always felt like a bit of a bogey place to go and Palaxe, much like the likes of West Ham, Southampton and Villa always seem to raise their game against us.

Tough game to come Sunday, had a couple of Arsenal mates text me in the last hour saying its a foregone conclusion. I hope we can shut them up.

RedIan

So many talk about lack of pace when in reality what killed us was like of composure and control. Less flicks and more intelligent play and we easily win this.
was saying the same thing, to many attempted flick ons, instead of quality pass and move game.. Maybe a touch to much arrogance.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
That second half was a tough watch. Just sloppy all round. Casemiro out for Sunday just made the night much worse.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still a lot to be positive about, we’re a lot further along than we all expected to be and after a tired second half a point really isn’t the end of the world.
The whole squad lacked a bit of composure, as we get better I think we’ll see fewer performances like this even with busy schedules.

Marwood

Its games like this where if we had harry kane, he'd score a brace and we'd have the game tucked by 60mins.

We really do need an elite no9.

Its games against teams outside the top six, where peak Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez, Salah etc did so much damage. They would help have the game wrapped up early. We need a elite forward if we are to win PL again.
We didn't create a single chance for a No.9 to finish. The problem is wider than just one player.

ExoduS

We didn't create a single chance for a No.9 to finish. The problem is wider than just one player.
Sometimes number 9s score out of nothing. Not saying having legit number 9 would help us tonight but to become a serious team we need a true assassin 9.

croadyman

Harsh lesson in not building on such a dominant first half,derby win has definitely been squandered with this result

RC89

The games were going to catch up to us sooner or later. We didn't play well, but this being our worst performance in a while says a lot about how much we've improved. The Cas yellow immediately killed our spirits.

Now, on to beat the pretenders :keano:

United Irishman

We’re genuinely about 25 goals short of a title challenge. That’s why it was always going to be a battle for top 4. Only for a Rashford hot streak we’d be in dire straits. Still, Erik has us ahead of schedule.

That was so hard to take tonight. Still gutted. Can’t help but think the players will be deflated and exhausted after the run of games this week.

lex talionis

Fourth place is secure, but I’d we really are going to launch an improbable PL trophy run we needed to win tonight and beat Arsenal. Oh well.

Marwood

Sometimes number 9s score out of nothing. Not saying having legit number 9 would help us tonight but to become a serious team we need a true assassin 9.
Sometimes they do but most of the time they need service. No matter how good they are.

I really don't think tonight was one of those games where we can say having a top No.9 equals a win.

The whole front four wasn't functioning.

MetoTTT

I understand that most are disappointed. Me too, I am obviously disappointed with the score. But very positive from the team and there are so many positives to take away. There is still a long way to go to be at the top again but this team again gives us real pleasure to follow. That hadn't been the case for a very long time.
ETH has done a tremendous job. We look like a real team again.
The back 4 was superb. DDG and Cas too. AWB is back to a good level. Yes, we lack bench depth and that is the consequence of so many years of disastrous decisions at all levels.
Personally, I hope ETH will play the youngsters against Barcelona and get out of the EL (I hate thursday football and that hurts us), the sale of the club will happen soon and the club will fall into good hands.
Yes, Antony needs time, Sancho will have to do better, we will need luck to avoid injuries to our important players...but there are so many positives!
Come on, United! I'm pleased again!

Wing Attack Plan R

DeGea made a couple insane saves that a normal keeper would not. The one that went in was as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen. His positioning was good, his dive excellent, and it still eluded him.

AWB looks a player reborn.

Sexond half our brains couldn’t keep up with our feet, kept doing flicks and dummies and through balls to no one, gave the ball away cheaply too many times.

Bruno tireless, erratic as feck, and scores.

We played some really nice stuff, but we should always press for that 2nd goal instead of passing it around aimlessly.

Laurencio

Fourth place is secure, but I’d we really are going to launch an improbable PL trophy run we needed to win tonight and beat Arsenal. Oh well.
If Arsenal are going to collapse they will drop a lot more than 9 points in their remaining 20 games. We're still a few games off their traditional spring time collapse.

The race is still wide open, even with a draw at Palace.

croadyman

Antony and especially Rashford were terrible. McTominay comically bad too. Bruno too lazy in the 2nd half. Its like they thought we'd won this and didn't bother for the 2nd half.

So fecking pissed off, its games like these we need to win if we're ever gonna go anywhere.
Yep this is what separates contenders from pretenders

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd