PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 February 2023

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
None of this is happening without ETH. Even bringing in quality players as we've done wouldn't have been enough. Managers like ETH are rarer than midfield beasts like ClassyMiro. Whoever convinced the board to hire ETH deserves a statue outside OT. So glad we got this fella.
Well said. Great nick too, btw.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
We were coasting towards a casual win without having been in any danger the entire game. Loved that. Sadly it got out of hand but I don't agree with some posts in various threads stating it was a bad performance. They are a tough team to play and we had complete control until the red card.

Antony got a lot of criticism on Dutch TV (Viaplay) because he didn't continue on certain "breakouts" even though there were still 5 Palace defenders in front of us and just two of our attackers on the far side of the field. Think he overall just did what he had to do and in those moments specifically did the right thing.

I was pleased with the way we played up until the Casemiro incident, Palace had no say whatsoever and for the majority of the game it looked like an easy win against a tough, defensive team. For a very long time we haven't been able to say that often.
Only thing to add perhaps is how strong they were in midfield down a man, and that Rashford is outstandingly good. Completely agree on your take of coasting and how it starts to look like in good old times.

norm87cro

Well Im sorry if I dont think somebody is free of criticism and my take is "absurd" to some of the CAF. In reality Casemiro has been our best player this season with Rashford being a close number two. He is just so present in the midfield and he completely deserves all the praise he got. Today he f... up and it really doesnt matter if the Crystal Palace player also deserved a red. Keano was being childish in 05 for his Mutv antics, Becks got shipped off to Madrid in 03, CR7 made a tit of hymself in a Piers Morgan inrerview, Rooney wanted a City transfer in 10 and Paul Ince did the unthinkable with his transfer to the Dippers.
All this players did much more for this club than Casemiro.
Like I said earlier he is the kind of guy who likes to get stuck in and I love that about him (and I dont mind the occasional red) but he still made a mistake.

DSG

Wish we were a bit better creating chances going forward. Before Casemiro got sent off, they really didn’t create much.

fecking Fred. He does some things so well (pressing in final third, movement in final third) and some things so poorly (defensive positioning, passing, slow on the ball). Eriksen is out and now we have Casemiro out for 3 matches. Sabitzer and Fred I presume… sigh .

At least Newcastle dropped points.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Fair point, although in practical reality none of those clubs are catching us. Newcastle, not United, need to worry about Brighton catching them. In any event, Palace aren't taking 9 points off those three.

The real point is equity. If Casemiro was rightly sent off and banned for putting his hands around the neck of an opposing player (which he did), Ayew also should be banned.
I'd rather the sort of equity whereby we appeal and Hughes thanks Case for adjusting his shirt collar. Hugs and kisses, we twat Leeds and that suits Palace.

dks17

Well Im sorry if I dont think somebody is free of criticism and my take is "absurd" to some of the CAF. In reality Casemiro has been our best player this season with Rashford being a close number two. He is just so present in the midfield and he completely deserves all the praise he got. Today he f... up and it really doesnt matter if the Crystal Palace player also deserved a red. Keano was being childish in 05 for his Mutv antics, Becks got shipped off to Madrid in 03, CR7 made a tit of hymself in a Piers Morgan inrerview, Rooney wanted a City transfer in 10 and Paul Ince did the unthinkable with his transfer to the Dippers.
Like I said earlier he is the kind of guy who likes to get stuck in and I love that about him (and I dont mind the occasional red) but he still made a mistake.
He made a mistake on the field and hes been punished for it by the referees.

all those other examples you gave? They made mistakes off the field and so they were dealt with by the club.

Viral United

7 mins added on time doesn’t mean the ref has to blow on exactly 97 mins. There was injury time and time wasting in those 7mins, which the ref has to consider.
How many times you seen 1.30 min added to injury time for time wasting.
Are we only team who wast time in injury time?

The White Pele

A big weekend of results in terms of us getting top 4. Casemiro red is annoying but I think we can win those games without him and he’ll be fresh and hungry for the Barcelona games.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Only thing to add perhaps is how strong they were in midfield down a man, and that Rashford is outstandingly good. Completely agree on your take of coasting and how it starts to look like in good old times.
Yeah I'm curious if he's going to give Sabitzer a full 90 vs Leeds or if he's going with McFred. Or even Lindelof.. I liked his energy but sadly didn't get to show us a lot. As for Rashford we need to sign him on a long term deal ASAP!

cyberman

I wish people could have heard the Irish commentary for the game today.
Gary Breen and whoever else really hates Antony, at one point he said well done you only won a throw in when he carried the ball 40 yards up the pitch!
Never mind telling us the obvious pen wasn’t a penalty and there would be uproar about it ala Man City after the game. And yes, they brought up the Bruno goal v Man City.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Wasn't a red card. Ref was a fecking joke, beat these shite hawks under pressure against 12 men. Job done.

Seen united, now feck off home!

HaliRed

The Casemiro red card has really brought the looney tunes out in the caf.

Imagine asking for your team's best player to be disciplined further than the 3 games, just for standing up for his teammates.

I personally love the fact this team stands up for each other. No more Mark Noble carrying Herreira off the pitch incidents anymore. Not with this group.

We will miss Casa for the three games, no doubt about that. It was a bit daft to raise the hands but emotions can get the better of you in these situations.

That fecker Schluppy shoved Antony into the boards and then had a few words to say to him while he was down. But some in here are still quick to judge their own team. Some of you have reallt never laced boots on a pitch, have you?

Emotions were bound to come up.

I am sure Sabitzer and Fred can do the job for 3 games.

Oh, and Martinez is a joy to watch!

scottser

This team thrives on adversity. We'll be grand, so stop fukn whining and have some faith ffs.

lex talionis

Yes, Casemiro made a mistake, but it is absurd to punish every player who makes a mistake with a forced benching for a half. Casemiro will be banned, possibly for three matches. That should give him enough time to reflect on his mistake.

Vida_15

Special mention to Simon Stone for his shameful effort in the post match press conference. Take a look at yourself in the mirror you reptile.

VictoriaRed

Forgive me if someone has asked this, but how many passes, without loosing possession, did we complete for Rashford's goal? It was an unreal passage of play!

Dr Foo

I just want to say that I am proud of the team's fighting spirit, whether standing up for team mates during brawls or the determination to win with 10 men. This is one of the most important traits that EtH has brought back, and will be the foundation for us back to the top even if our performances still fluctuate in the short run. Everyone gives their all each game now, and all fans can get behind that, win lose or draw.

Marcus

Sabitzer's tackle and pass to Rashford for criminally stopped. Any analysis of whether this was a foul? Looked legit to me.

Marcus

everyone is fuming about the inconsistent refereeing during "that" incident, and rightly so. But I am still pissed about the Sabitzer "free kick" that sent Rashford 1 on 1 in the 89th minute. Has anyone done a gif of it yet?
This!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Sabitzer's tackle and pass to Rashford for criminally stopped. Any analysis of whether this was a foul? Looked legit to me.
That was so annoying and Sky NZ didn't show a replay. Looked fine in real time and Rash was through, albeit from around the halfway line.

stoinz

Great win. We always struggle with this lot. Not sure why. Our pressing and defense was great to see especially in the first, every palace player that crosses the halfway gets tackled the hell out.

starting to see why Eth wanted Antony so much. He is integral to our gameplay.

Never knew Varane to be such a sweet passer. Not sure how i feel about Weghost, is great to have a target man and he helps by drawing opponent defenders away but he really isnt the type to play 1-2 with.

Fred was world class without the ball, constantly winning the ball back. Getting into great position. But when he does get the ball he is always under hitting or over hitting. I hope Eth sorts that out.

Disappointed with Case’s redcard but happy to see our players ready to fight for their team mates.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Having seen the other angle where it is clear Casemiro is not trying to throttle Hughes, I would appeal this if I were United.

Belisarius

The Casemiro red card has really brought the looney tunes out in the caf.

Imagine asking for your team's best player to be disciplined further than the 3 games, just for standing up for his teammates.

I personally love the fact this team stands up for each other. No more Mark Noble carrying Herreira off the pitch incidents anymore. Not with this group.

We will miss Casa for the three games, no doubt about that. It was a bit daft to raise the hands but emotions can get the better of you in these situations.

That fecker Schluppy shoved Antony into the boards and then had a few words to say to him while he was down. But some in here are still quick to judge their own team. Some of you have reallt never laced boots on a pitch, have you?

Emotions were bound to come up.

I am sure Sabitzer and Fred can do the job for 3 games.

Oh, and Martinez is a joy to watch!
This! Well said

Maticmaker

Up to the sending off United 'bossed' the game. Palace had been in a 'needling mood' since the early penalty, and eventually they lit the blue touch paper. Eric was right, three or four players could have seen red, but a hand around the neck no matter what angled viewed from, was always going to be a dismissal.
Martinez again in warrior mode, what a buy him and Casemiro have been. The impact of these two is on a parr with Cantona, and RVP's.

G-manc

Martinez MOM by a mile.

Antony was better in patches but looks like 60 min player.

IMO, Casemiro was poor by his standards prior to his sending off.

Weghorst completely out of his depth, however, it’s promising we still look half decent when woefully short of striker options. Get a quality 9 in over the summer and we’ll hopefully get games like this put to bed earlier.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 45% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace