PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 September 2023

BrayRed

Awful, no idea how to break down a team who sits in.
Palace were happy to just sit there and soak up the pressure because we never really threatened them at all.

Yes we've a mountain of injuries but there's absolutely no imagination out there, so slow, backwards and side ways.

Something needs to change and quickly or it's gonna be a very long season and 2 steps backwards

RedDevilRoshi

It’s the same problems that we knew about before the season began - we can’t score.

Our inability to successfully convert our chances is just beyond laughable now.

santeria13

Sublemon
It's actually unacceptable that Rashford hasn't been benched after putting in 2/10 performances every single game except for the Arsenal game, where the only good thing he did all game was the goal he scored.

What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players?

Then again, look what happened when Rashford was benched after similar performances under Rangnick. His PR team came out in full swing and he didn't exactly look motivated to win his place back. He has a losers mentality but people will forgive him because he had two good seasons out of 7.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Garnacho and Hannibal should have started this game...speed and workrate. Rashford should be benched...he´s playing at the same level as his friend Sancho now and needs a kick up the .... Play McTominey at Rb and Dalot a LB and let Amrabat play with Bruno + Hannibal. Casemiero looks like he´s aged 5 years since last season and is so slow. This has become such an depressing start to the season that it´s beyond belief.
They did well, has the confidence, but ETH did not have the balls to bench Rashford and Bruno once more

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is Wenger ball. Lots of possession, but physically weak and get bullied and the opposition wins. This is what Fergie did regularly to Wenger. Bully them off the park. Score with worrying to possession.

IRELANDUNITED

Not even mad anymore as I feel totally detached from this squad of weirdly assembled averageness. Worst it's ever been. I can't sympathize with any of them nor do I like about 80% of these guys.

What will be funny however will be the inevitable total overhaul once the bald twat gets the sack as most of these weirdos he bought won't survive the next manager. Rinse and repeat again and again and again.

As long as we don't get proper owners and a proper DoF and not these bunch of fecking amateurs nothing will change. And as long as that isn't the case I won't give much feck about these idiots out there anymore
How is sacking ten Hag the answer? Is there a manager in the world who can make this club, with these owners, work? I genuinely don’t think so. Look at poch at Chelsea, a lot of people wanted him at United. There’s only so much a manager can do. Until these cnuts sell up and allow the club be rebuilt from the bottom up we are going to be going in this continues circle of shite, regardless of who the manager is.

sglowrider

Awful, no idea how to break down a team who sits in.
Palace were happy to just sit there and soak up the pressure because we never really threatened them at all.

Yes we've a mountain of injuries but there's absolutely no imagination out there, so slow, backwards and side ways.

Something needs to change and quickly or it's gonna be a very long season and 2 steps backwards
The ol' Dinosaur Woy outthought our Modern Manager, ETH.

May have injuries but really it only affected our squad depth -- it was only Martinez that was really missing from ETH's best side. Amrabat on the LB didnt really change in a negative sense, our team that much.

This team isnt that far off his optimum side.

Ibrahimorich

I don't think we were that bad. There will be a lot of block back for ETH and the team because it's an awful result and we did lack some cutting edge against a deep, well drilled defence, but I don't think overall it was that bad as an individual performance. We had huge control over the game, we just couldn't find the killer blow. It happens in football but we're on a poor run so things will also be seen in light of that. Which is not totally unfair either, the results at the moment are very poor.
Watch out with your reasoning and rationality around here

GL21

Garnacho and Hannibal should have started this game...speed and workrate. Rashford should be benched...he´s playing at the same level as his friend Sancho now and needs a kick up the .... Play McTominey at Rb and Dalot a LB and let Amrabat play with Bruno + Hannibal. Casemiero looks like he´s aged 5 years since last season and is so slow. This has become such an depressing start to the season that it´s beyond belief.
agree Hannibal should def have started he's earned it and Garnacho surely more effective than Rashford. when was the last time Rashford was positive or went past someone. imagine any of our past greats like rooney not attacking the chance with the handball appeal. hunger is ruined with wealth. needs a rocket up his hole. amrabat must start in the Midfield too. wish I could check out for the season like some have said.

moodyred

I dont really see any player who can come back from injury and significantly improve the team. I think there is an issue with the tactics and how we play as a team rather than missing specific players.

Joseunited

How is sacking ten Hag the answer? Is there a manager in the world who can make this club, with these owners, work? I genuinely don’t think so. Look at poch at Chelsea, a lot of people wanted him at United. There’s only so much a manager can do. Until these cnuts sell up and allow the club be rebuilt from the bottom up we are going to be going in this continues circle of shite, regardless of who the manager is.
Well said mate.

VivaRonaldo85

The regression this season is staggering. Between us and Chelsea for the most farcical club in the league

sglowrider

Not saying you sack him. But he needs to re-look what he is trying to do. You dont score goals, you cant win games

Wheato

We still can't break down teams that stick everyone behind the ball. Too slow in the build up play which is easy to defend.

I thought the balance was better on Wednesday with Hannibal and Mount and the two natural wingers out wide. There was always an out ball. Today there wasn't one.

That said, we didn't get any luck today, every loose ball went to a Palace player. Every split decision went their way.

Amrabat and Casemiro were wreckless and lucky to stay on the pitch.

Jersey Heel

Don’t kill the messenger, but I’m starting to think we may not win the league this year.

sirAlexsglasses

Sack him. No coaching and plays Bruno-Mount-Casemiro forever
and do what, stay in the manager merry go round, then they buy their own players and don’t want what we have and we rinse and repeat. This isnt on ETH, he has literally had his 3rd or 4th choice and or free players out of contract. No what we need is new owners, a massive clear out of deadwood (only Qatar can afford to boot them regardless) and get rid of the absolute shower of at board level. Sorry if my response sounded as though I was having a dig as I’m not, I’m just curious as this shot show of a club.

sglowrider

Not sure selling out is like some magic wand that will change everything. Nobody will ever come in and change everything thing -- from the bottom up. And besides what guarantee is there even if they did?

Godfather

ETH not having the balls to bench Bruno and Rashford in the important games and just for some meaningless cup games is worrying

Judas

Open to offers
Unfortunately an oddly predictable performance with the lineup we put out. Many saw it coming. It just doesn’t work, and a lot of our “starters” aren’t up to the job and don’t work hard enough. We have so little energy, and issues all over the pitch.

Wing Attack Plan R

We lost because Bruno, Rashford, and Pellistri didn’t turn up.

Mount and Amrabat were good in the first half. Our attacks were impotent because neither Rashford nor Pellistri appeared to have ever seen a football before. So we try and cross for headers, instead of attacking approaches that move their defenders around then move into vacated space. Not clever enough. I thought Højlund was decent, didn’t really get any service. Some hood hold up play, came close to scoring.

Hindsight is 20/20 but Rashford should have been subbed after any 1 of the 3 times he went down in the first half. It was clearly not his day, he looks like he’s carrying an injury. Garnacho came on way too late, should have been half time at the latest.

I liked the look of Mount. He was setting the standard. Amrabat was everywhere again but not as accurate. It gave Casemiro time to play his game but he wasn’t effective. To my eyes there was half a team that was not up to standards.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The ol' Dinosaur Woy outthought our Modern Manager, ETH.

May have injuries but really it only affected our squad depth -- it was only Martinez that was really missing from ETH's best side. Amrabat on the LB didnt really change in a negative sense, our team that much.

This team isnt that far off his optimum side.
Of course it does, means we lack a natural wide option on the left and Amrabat is constantly going up against their winger outside our box with predictable results.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I dont really see any player who can come back from injury and significantly improve the team. I think there is an issue with the tactics and how we play as a team rather than missing specific players.
Agree with this

Kearnkoff69

Need to try someone out on the left besides Rashford. It was evident how much more dangerous we looked with Garnacho creating havoc with his direct runs - and his looking to cross the ball instead of trying to fashion a shot every time. Rashford could be a great player for us, but needs to stop thinking of scoring every time he gets the ball. Peak 2000s United was driven by the combination of goal scoring + selflessness of Rooney and Ronaldo - two players who obviously possessed the killer instinct more than most players of that era.

mk7

There is just no plan or tactics to be seen. A bunch of players shipped out, a bunch of new ones brought in ... I was staunchly in favor of getting him in but there is no game plan (I dare not use the word tactics) to be seen bar the odd game or run of games where our "star" players clicked. I hate to say it but there really is no progress from Ole to be seen. It just seems that the players do not know what to do on the pitch - is it too much or too little instructions?

JeffFromHK

We still can't break down teams that stick everyone behind the ball. Too slow in the build up play which is easy to defend.

I thought the balance was better on Wednesday with Hannibal and Mount and the two natural wingers out wide. There was always an out ball. Today there wasn't one.

That said, we didn't get any luck today, every loose ball went to a Palace player. Every split decision went their way.

Amrabat and Casemiro were wreckless and lucky to stay on the pitch.
it's not as a result of luck, we always have troubles winning the second ball in the past few seasons

justsomebloke

Funny. We didn't play awful, like we have on several other occasions this season. We just met a team that came to defend and did so extremely well, and converted a set-piece to win. If we were coming off a five-game winning streak, we'd all think of this as just one of those nights.

But we aren't, and this is a disastrous result. Takes the wind right out of our sails, just at the point where we're heading into the part of the season that's no longer thought of as "the opening".This is when good teams who just had some troubles in the opening stop having them.

Player-wise - Casemiro good again, all in all. Bruno too. Dalot actually had one of the best games in a United shirt I've seen from him. Season-best for Mount. Garnacho a contributor after coming on. Varane very solid. Amrabat the big disappointment - on Tuesday he lorded it, today he looked like he was struggling to cope with the level of the PL. Rashford not very good, and Pellistri to my mind showed again he's not at the required level yet. Højlund okayish, and he seems to be steadily inreasing his level of involvement at least.

sglowrider

exactly. Other than Martinez its almost his best side. Amrabat for Shaw. Thats it.

Redfrog

It is hard to stay positive about ETH when he basically took everything positive about that midweek win and threw it in the trash in favor his preferred starting crap.
Exactly. He has his favorites.
The midfield is a shambles as well. Mount and Bruno will never work. They have no composure. But he will just play them because he is stubborn and can’t admit he is wrong.

Blood Mage

We're a better team without Rashford. Bin him off, that new contract was a joke.

AndySmith1990

I'm so fed up of this team and club. It's constantly 1 step forward and 1 step back. We are going absolutely nowhere and make zero progress

Quinze

I think we played as well as we did in the cup. The only difference is that we failed to convert our chances and conceded from a set piece. We really have a goalscoring problem if Casemiro is our main threat.

R'hllor

What was more piss poor, is this place going whole RAWK mode, ref/VAR this ref/VAR that, luck this luck that, "if that was us, it would be pen, he would give us 15 red cards, GK turned into prime X" etc. Shameless shit

sglowrider

Of course it does, means we lack a natural wide option on the left and Amrabat is constantly going up against their winger outside our box with predictable results.
so if shaw was back, you wouldn't play amrabat?

Casemiro, Mount, Bruno midfield -- and leave out Amrabat who I thot was one of our better players today?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 207 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 2:1 Crystal Palace