g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 September 2023

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Try and stay on topic. Sancho was dropped for half-assed training. Rashford has not been dropped. What questions are you expecting him to be asked, “why aren’t you dropping Rashford?” He’s seeing enough from Rashford in training to include him. The other option, Garnacho, has never pulled up trees when starting. Ten Hag has already seen that Garnacho is more useful as a sub. I think what’s null and void is your dogged devotion to Sancho.
You need to try and keep up. Being shit in training and being shit on matchdays equates to the same thing. You're going to have more questions asked of you playing a player who isn't performing on the pitch. Saying "Well he's great in training?" just isn't going to cut it.

Go back over ten Hag's interviews where he repeatedly states that players have to deserve their place in the team and that no-one is immune to being dropped.

I'm not devoted to Sancho at all. I don't have a problem with ten Hag digging him out so long as he is consistent with the other players.

Cathy Ferguson

What people fail to see with this is that these two guys are the reason we are lacking cohesion in the team.

We were much better on Tuesday, even if the opposition was trash.We need players who are confident on the ball and can 'bop' it around confidently.

These two (Rashford and Bruno) do not know the meaning of the word composure. And, in my opinion, composure and control is how you consistently play well and win leagues.

We are on a hiding to Chelsea if we keep going this way.
Why does he keep buying players who are not composed? Only Shaw Eriksen and Martinez are composed, maybe also Martial.

Wing Attack Plan R

You need to try and keep up. Being shit in training and being shit on matchdays equates to the same thing. You're going to have more questions asked of you playing a player who isn't performing on the pitch. Saying "Well he's great in training?" just isn't going to cut it.

Go back over ten Hag's interviews where he repeatedly states that players have to deserve their place in the team and that no-one is immune to being dropped.

I'm not devoted to Sancho at all. I don't have a problem with ten Hag digging him out so long as he is consistent with the other players.
Sounds like a “you” problem. Maybe you should write an email to Ten Hag. If you can’t tell the difference between something that happens in private (i.e., training) and what happens broadcast to the entire world (i.e., matches), then you’re hopeless.

The press didn’t see Sancho being shit: that’s why they asked where he was. So you want Ten Hag to show up to the next presser and dig out Rashford for a display seen by the entire world? If he excludes him from the match day squad and if they ask where he is, then Ten Hag will probably say he needs some time out of the firing line. You’re imagining that Ten Hag somehow won’t say the truth, but he just demonstrated that he tells the truth, which is why you’re upset with him.

Do you get it now?

Parma Dewol

Opportunity to go level with Newcastle, four behind Pool and six off the top. But nope, naused it right up with yet another bumbling performance against a very average opponent.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Why does he keep buying players who are not composed? Only Shaw Eriksen and Martinez are composed, maybe also Martial.
Major question mark for me but since it has happened time and again, it's clear there's pressure, direct or implicit, that big-money (salaries and transfer fees), big-name have to play.

We had it with Maguire. The only reason he was dropped is the new guy didn't buy him (Sancho is somewhat similar).

Would he however drop Antony who he bought and Rashford who got the fact contract on his watch?

Not so sure and I really despair at this point.

Fitchett

That was dire. Palace are a poor side, only capable of parking the bus and enjoying the occasional attack. Their goal was a fluke, as it came from a ridiculous free kick, after their player went down very easily after a challenge from Amrabat.

United were shocking, 77% possession, but too slow, ponderous and predictable at all times, so Palace could get ten men behind the ball, all in position, to defend so easily. Rashford must be dropped, Fernandes too. Let's have eleven players on the pitch who play as a team and work hard for each other.

Chris Kavanagh was a disgrace as referee. Two clear handballs in the Palace penalty area not given. This is the same referee who failed to give an obvious penalty for handball against Fulham in the FA Cup last season, before VAR intervened. Today, Kavanagh gave Palace every 50/50 decision, as well.

Canuckred64

Starting to regret buying Fubo TV and Dazn Canada this year, wonder if I could get my money back.

croadyman

We drop our heads when conceding,people will point to Forest but honestly looks like that was on them imploding more than us showing fight

BootsyCollins

Our play in defence was good.

Our general play with the ball was ok, almost good.

Our play in the last third was bad.

Our attitude, fighting spirit and creativity was horrible.

Our decision making was on the level of 10 years old.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Sounds like a “you” problem. Maybe you should write an email to Ten Hag. If you can’t tell the difference between something that happens in private (i.e., training) and what happens broadcast to the entire world (i.e., matches), then you’re hopeless.

The press didn’t see Sancho being shit: that’s why they asked where he was. So you want Ten Hag to show up to the next presser and dig out Rashford for a display seen by the entire world? If he excludes him from the match day squad and if they ask where he is, then Ten Hag will probably say he needs some time out of the firing line. You’re imagining that Ten Hag somehow won’t say the truth, but he just demonstrated that he tells the truth, which is why you’re upset with him.

Do you get it now?
Oh the irony of saying someone is devoted to Sancho whilst blindly following a failing manager. Truth or not you keep that shit in-house. If you don't understand that basic principle, football isn't for you. It won't be long before ten Hag gets caught out by his own double standards. He's certainly been in no position to be calling any player out this season, no matter how bad they have been...not when he now has the worst start in United's history. Try and keep up.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We drop our heads when conceding,people will point to Forest but honestly looks like that was on them imploding more than us showing fight
And to think that we had the best away record: and the most points earned by a team after conceding a goal first in a game in the league -- only a couple of seasons ago.

Piskin

Ten Hag is digging his own grave this season, he needs a serious rethink on his management skills asap. Much as I don't like Sancho Ten Hag should have kept his trap shut in the Arsenal game interview. Two bad losses against City & Liverpool will see the supporters turn against him full force.

T Red

I will continue to insist our problems are not mystical, they are right there in our faces and how it has continued to elude these managers for so long is beyond me.
Or is it time to now look at the willingness of these players to follow instructions?

The no1 problem with this team is the movement off the ball. This lazy feckers just stroll or hang around and expect the ball to be passed straight to their feet

2nd is ball retention ability.
I can barely count in one hand how many of these players are confident in possession and are press resistant. The so called midfielders are even worse at it. Too many players turning over possession minute by minute.

3rd is football intelligence.
For the front men just take a look at Matinelli, Nketiah, Odegard and Saka for example. The way they work together as a team, making those little off the ball runs and actually having the ability and intelligence to spot those runs and make those between the line passes. One man showing up to receive the ball, and a third man running into the space created by the defender trying to track the player showing up to receive the pass. Also making little cut backs, threading in through balls, quick 1 2s inside the oppos 18yard box and all that smart stuff (which is basically the best way to open a packed defense)
Compare with Rashford, Antony, Bruno and Martial (at least Martial seems intelligent but too lazy to be bothered)

Our so called hit men are only suited to transition football where everything is done at a hundred miles per hour.
Kick and hope Hail Mary kinda footy where you just hit the ball, do a sign of the cross and then hope everything goes as wished.

Same crope of players (especially up front) who where suited for Ole kick and hope football, and where very good in the one season it worked but couldn't sustain it because that kinda system may only get you to the top but cant keep you there. They are the same set of players letting ETH down now he is trying to reinvent our style of play.

Its his call to make. He either gets rid or goes down same parth has Ole..

DSG

We really have no redeeming qualities as a football club right now.
After spending 400m in a year and adding three expensive forwards, we can’t score. The revamped midfield lacks a final ball. Half the first squad is injured. Our manager looks out of ideas and, uncharacteristically, is starting to use excuses. We have a dysfunctional ownership group, a crumbling stadium, and outdated training facilities.

We keep blaming the players, the manager, and the owners in a never ending cycle. Maybe we should blame ourselves for getting our hopes up every match, only to be disappointed.

Bondi77

The worrying thing for me is that the players showed plenty of effort but there was no quality on show.
Why the feck are we paying such high transfer fees and high wages for players that struggle to show any quality when it is required.

Matt851

The worrying thing for me is that the players showed plenty of effort but there was no quality on show.
Why the feck are we paying such high transfer fees and high wages for players that struggle to show any quality when it is required.
No scouting or transfer expertise we just buy from a limited pool of players eth knows

El Zoido

The players can't be that bad. Good players come here and turn to garbage overnight. It's happened with multiple managers too, it's not just due to Ten Hag. I've no doubt that if Ten Hag got sacked in the morning, we'd be back in this exact same situation in 12 months time with the latest manager.

big_jeffstar

It’s so bad now that even my mates that are fans of other clubs aren’t taking the piss anymore.. it’s almost like an inevitable that we play such terrible football, they’ve run out of things to say

big_jeffstar

Mount was the one for me.. as soon as I heard the announcement my heart sank. I’ve struggled to really get into this season ever since.. i was desperately hoping the rumours weren’t true, whatever problems we had, he was never the answer.. and I still can’t quite understand it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He lost me with the line up. Mount is not a CM under any circumstances whatsoever and we have multiple players available who would have obviously been more effective on the right than Pellistri.

I've had enough of ETH at this point. I didn't think I'd be saying that less than 10 games into this season, or at all after last season, but he's just making so many completely brain dead decisions and then he's not even recognising how stupid they were after the game.

I don't for the life of me understand how anyone comes to the conclusion Mount can play in a 3 man midfield with Bruno, but ok you try it because I dunno LVG came to you in a dream and demanded it or something,but how in the feck of God's fecking name do you sit there watching the games against Wooves and Spurs, and NOT see that this is a really, really awful idea?

Maybe he picks Eriksen in CM and Mount/Garnacho/Hannibal/Fernandes on the right and we still lose, and then it's still shite but at least the manager isn't sabotaging the team and making it impossible for them to play well.

Andersons Dietician

I’m not even mad about that performance. I saw things that made me think good solid performances are not that too far away.

We just lack an ability to make good chances. There are people in the team that just ruin our build up and they need to find a way to adapt to the new way or make way for someone else.

Banana Republic

Sacking Ten Hag at this stage won't solve anything.

We have a number of players who are overpaid on ridiculous contracts, that we are stuck with, even if the club wanted to dispose of them.
Some of last season's unwanted, or "deadwood", couldn't be offloaded this summer and if a new manager comes in, there'll almost certainly be a couple more that he'll want rid of at the end of the season.
So that problem hasn't gone away.
Plus, there are at least two "problem children" the club is having to deal with, along with the accompanying media soap operas.

If we thought the fan base's mood was bad over the Glazer issues, it's only going to get worst unless performances on the pitch are turned around ASAP.

Wazzaduke33

I agree with you, ETH’s “tough line” doesn’t wash as it’s only reserved for certain people. It makes him look inauthentic and actually a bit of an idiot

always_hoping

Was I alone in thinking our goose was truly cooked when chasing the game late on and De Beek,Maguire,Martial was brought on to at least rescue a point? three players that should be no longer at the club.

Palace in that 2nd half of 49 mins had just 79 passes and I don't agree with the view they were hard to break down, sides less toothless than United this afternoon would have scored 2 or more goals against them.

AndyMUFC

Keep starting okay, conceding and going to absolute shit afterwards. Had plenty of possession but never felt like a goal was truly coming.

What a depressing start to the season this has been.

Smithy89

We have only a handful of good technical players, it is nowhere near enough.

Big Andy

Bloke
Was I alone in thinking our goose was truly cooked when chasing the game late on and De Beek,Maguire,Martial was brought on to at least rescue a point? three players that should be no longer at the club.

Palace in that 2nd half of 49 mins had just 79 passes and I don't agree with the view they were hard to break down, sides less toothless than United this afternoon would have scored 2 or more goals against them.
I've just watched all of todays highlights, and most of the goals scored today, we'd never have scored.

Our final ball is absolutely shite across the team, only really Garnacho has any kind of composure to look up and pick someone out. Dalot is a headless chicken and just aimlessly fires it across goal, Rashford couldn't find his arsehole with a map at the moment, and Pellistri isn't the second coming many thought he was. Just toothless up top, we bought Hojlund but can't actually provide for him, he's feeding off scraps.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I hope I'm wrong, but I think the club, right now, is in the worst situation we've been in since Fergie retired, and the risk of fading into mid table irrelevance is more stark than its ever been.

I hope I'm wrong, I was full of optimism when EtH was appointed, and feel he over achieved last season.

But, this team had no balls, and no character, and no time to really allow that to develop.. If our early season form isn't corrected, EtG will be gone and we'll be back to square one, yet again.

Wing Attack Plan R

Oh the irony of saying someone is devoted to Sancho whilst blindly following a failing manager. Truth or not you keep that shit in-house. If you don't understand that basic principle, football isn't for you. It won't be long before ten Hag gets caught out by his own double standards. He's certainly been in no position to be calling any player out this season, no matter how bad they have been...not when he now has the worst start in United's history. Try and keep up.
Your tag line is right, at least, but you're wrong about everything else. But frankly, friend, you're boring, and I've made my point, and you refuse to actually think about what I've said. So here is where I leave you.

Wing Attack Plan R

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the club, right now, is in the worst situation we've been in since Fergie retired, and the risk of fading into mid table irrelevance is more stark than its ever been.

I hope I'm wrong, I was full of optimism when EtH was appointed, and feel he over achieved last season.

But, this team had no balls, and no character, and no time to really allow that to develop.. If our early season form isn't corrected, EtG will be gone and we'll be back to square one, yet again.
If it makes you feel any better, I think times were way more bleak under Moyes (remember Fellaini being our big signing?), our brand of football was pragmatic but ugly to the eye and coma inducing under LVG, then we were saddled with yesterday's man who thrived on creating inter squad rivalries. Briefly, under Ole, things turned around. That 14 game unbeaten streak was lovely. But everyone quickly figured out that we were Individual FC, and we were years behind our contemporaries in terms of playing a modern style (or any style other than bad). Rangnick was maybe the nadir, because he pointed out that we needed 10 or 11 new players to even think of competing, and he was right. Everything but the first few months with Ole were far worse, in my opinion.

Cut to: Ten Hag.
He is a good coach, a good tactician, has a style he is trying to implement, along with a culture he is trying to foster. He demands commitment, and many of our players (and recently departed players) simply had no commitment to anything other than themselves. Plus, many of these same players were technically deficient. Ten Hag has been replacing those misfit parts with new players, and currently we are only just emerging from a four alarm availability crisis.

Beyond the injury crisis, reliable performers are playing terribly (Rashford, Bruno, et al.), questionable performers are getting themselves sent to train with the kids or given time off to try and stay out of prison. I do honestly think Amrabat and Mount are going to be leading this team before too long. Hojlund looked pretty good, had a couple efforts at goal with precious few passed played into him. They will come good. There were signs of it against Palace. We just had zero edge in the final third and absolutely dogshit from wide play. Pellistri is not the first or second choice. Shaw, Malacia, ReguilOn, Martinez, AWB, still out. I don't know what was up with the late subs of Maguire and VDB, but neither should realistically still be at the club.

So: green shoots. Positive signs. A rough start. An injury crisis abating. Today was disappointing but it's been far worse. When Ten Hag came in, I believe most people were expecting it to be a couple of years of rebuilding before we could realistically expect silverware. He's changing the culture. He's getting players who are desperate to play for him/United. The bad apples will be found out eventually.

steffyr2

I can't help but think that ETH works to get rid of players who will stand up. (I also think that Redcafe has applauded ETH for that, thinking that having a team full of mealy-mouthed do-nothings is a sign of a good manager.)

IamBurnsey

Mount and bruno just don't seem to work together at all and as for rashford ughhhh, hannibal shouldn't of lost his place in the team!

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I reached a point where this is no longer a surprise. Not as frustrated and “angry” anymore.

We’ll win some games but we’ll lose some as well. That’s our level at the moment.

cyril C

Mount was the one for me.. as soon as I heard the announcement my heart sank. I’ve struggled to really get into this season ever since.. i was desperately hoping the rumours weren’t true, whatever problems we had, he was never the answer.. and I still can’t quite understand it.
Mount is clearly not a CM, playing on the left was trying to fit a square leg onto a round table. Plenty of effort but no killer pass, no intelligent distribution. Coincides with Rashford pretending to be Messi, trying to dribble pass 3 defenders, is disaster in the making.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If it makes you feel any better, I think times were way more bleak under Moyes (remember Fellaini being our big signing?), our brand of football was pragmatic but ugly to the eye and coma inducing under LVG, then we were saddled with yesterday's man who thrived on creating inter squad rivalries. Briefly, under Ole, things turned around. That 14 game unbeaten streak was lovely. But everyone quickly figured out that we were Individual FC, and we were years behind our contemporaries in terms of playing a modern style (or any style other than bad). Rangnick was maybe the nadir, because he pointed out that we needed 10 or 11 new players to even think of competing, and he was right. Everything but the first few months with Ole were far worse, in my opinion.

Cut to: Ten Hag.
He is a good coach, a good tactician, has a style he is trying to implement, along with a culture he is trying to foster. He demands commitment, and many of our players (and recently departed players) simply had no commitment to anything other than themselves. Plus, many of these same players were technically deficient. Ten Hag has been replacing those misfit parts with new players, and currently we are only just emerging from a four alarm availability crisis.

Beyond the injury crisis, reliable performers are playing terribly (Rashford, Bruno, et al.), questionable performers are getting themselves sent to train with the kids or given time off to try and stay out of prison. I do honestly think Amrabat and Mount are going to be leading this team before too long. Hojlund looked pretty good, had a couple efforts at goal with precious few passed played into him. They will come good. There were signs of it against Palace. We just had zero edge in the final third and absolutely dogshit from wide play. Pellistri is not the first or second choice. Shaw, Malacia, ReguilOn, Martinez, AWB, still out. I don't know what was up with the late subs of Maguire and VDB, but neither should realistically still be at the club.

So: green shoots. Positive signs. A rough start. An injury crisis abating. Today was disappointing but it's been far worse. When Ten Hag came in, I believe most people were expecting it to be a couple of years of rebuilding before we could realistically expect silverware. He's changing the culture. He's getting players who are desperate to play for him/United. The bad apples will be found out eventually.
But the worrying thing is that, even after we've brought that 10 or 11 new players in with over 400m fund spent since ETH took over, we are still the same, almost like playing with no progression at all, and off with the worst ever start in club history this season.

New incomings:
- Onana (GK)
- Martinez (CB)
- Regulion (LB) - loan
- Malacia (LB)
- Amrabat (DM/LB/CB) - loan with option to buy
- Casemiro (DM)
- Eriksen (CM)
- Sabitzer (CM) - loan ends
- Mount (CM/AM)
- Antony (RW)
- Hojlund (CF)
- Weghorst (CF) - loan ends
- Garnach (LW) (promoted from academy)

I will still let ETH continue his thing until end of this season. But he really need to do some magical work and make some noticeable improvements/progression, otherwise its really hard to justify keeping him here spending all our funds while playing dire football beyond next summer.

Mainoovement

Biggest worry for me is I don't know where our next goal is coming from outside of a moment of brilliance, everything is a struggle in the final third. Uncreative, uninspiring, put you to sleep football. Concerning.

croadyman

And to think that we had the best away record: and the most points earned by a team after conceding a goal first in a game in the league -- only a couple of seasons ago.
Away record was down to no fans, soon as they came back we lost the ability to play in front of opposition home crowds

Last edited:

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 207 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace