PL L FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 06 May 2024

Matthew1972

ETH has sealed his fate. I don't even think an FA Cup can save him. And he might be the best choice for manager next season!

But he's done. And it's not just the unprecedent number of team losses he's managed this season, or even the the UCL dud.

It's that he needs his best players to play just to have a chance. And without them, he has no strategy or make-shift approaches in his lunch pail.

I'm pretty sure the play of the players today reflect their personal feelings about him behind closed doors.

He's done. And we may not come close to UCL for years as a result of this season. The 95 million Euros for Antony and the 50 million Euros for Onana are the final nails in his coffin. FFP will see to that.

Is anyone telling me that Dean Henderson (no transfer fee needed) would not have done a better (or even the same) job than Onana did this season?

Last edited:

Zed 101

another record broken by ETH then, that is before finishing 8th with a negative goal difference WOW hats off to Eric

Glorio

EtH - you are wrong when you say we play bad. You see the fans, heh? They can see the progress, which is why they applaud us with hearts bursting full of pride.

You see the possession stats heh? That shows we controlled the game.

Overhaul FC

Players are shit. But Ten Hag isn't even getting performances out of players he signed.

Bad sign.

GL21

As an aside,, Ashley Young talks a lot of sense on Sky whlist Spitty C continues to talk ball lacks. How does he steal a living?
I cannot fathom how that dirty rat is still on TV. even Liverpool fans can't stand him. makes me sick

Woziak

Players are shit. But Ten Hag isn't even getting performances out of players he signed.

Bad sign.
What’s worse is he keeps playing Anthony?
When Amad is clearly the better player just reeks of nepotism!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
The injuries are obviously a big problem, but Newcastle had similar issues and performed much better than this. Injuries don't justify playing that badly.

Raw

Since Ten Hag arrived he hasnt even tried to implement a style of play, he just seems to send out 11 players and hope for the best.

Ole had most of this squad and managed to get us playing some decent Football with 3rd and 2nd place finishes.
Exactly. You see Liverpool recently when they got struck with lots of injuries, they bring in some youth players no one's ever heard of and they fit in very well. Man City can probably play their 2nd team and still blow most teams away. Villa and Newcastle also have injury issues and they don't seem like they're in freefall either.

Of course City and Liverpool are the best of the best in this league and we're far from it, but ETH still had almost 2 seasons to implement a system that our whole squad can follow and so far it seems like he can only get it working when his preferred XI is available. Even then that's questionable. It wouldn't be so bad if we looked like we were building towards something but we just aren't.

So far all I see is that his methods gives us shit loads of injuries (to a team that's pretty injury prone already) and he gets us conceding lots of shots.

Swearing Budgie

Nobody is surprised by the performance and the result. Says everything about this team.

Prodigy24

Easily the worst season in my 32 years on this planet. Feel dead inside watching these guys try to play football.

As expected. The tactics and coaching is league 1 level. Newport County level. He’s dragging Mainoo, Hojlund and Garnacho to this level. It’s unacceptable.

Bobski

There have been maybe 3 or 4 games this season when you could say Utd have played genuinely well, looked like a team who understand and believe in what they are trying to do.

The results, still, massively flatter the performances. Talk about injuries, talk about refs, but the structural shambles he has presided over, I can't think of an equivalent at any big club. Utd have had other terrible seasons recently but this has been beyond the pale.

Stig

As expected. The tactics and coaching is league 1 level. Newport County level. He’s dragging Mainoo, Hojlund and Garnacho to this level. It’s unacceptable.
Mainoo has gone from the hottest young talent in England to bloody hopeless in about 6 weeks. It takes something as a coach to achieve that; it quite remarkable.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
If that game doesn't signify that the second team needs to be given a chance and play in the cup final, I don't know what does!!

Matthew1972

David Moyes lost his job as Manchester United manager on April 22, 2014 following a 2-0 defeat at Everton. That team would finish 7th in the league.

Van Gaal was sacked following the 2015-2016 campaign when the club finished 5th and scored only 49 goals for the PL season

Mourinho’s final game in charge at United came against Liverpool at Anfield in December 2018. Sadio Mane’s strike and a brace from Xherdan Shaqiri gave the hosts a 3-1 win, leaving United sixth in the league.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer lost his job as Manchester United manager on November 21, 2021 following a 4-1 defeat at Watford that left his side eighth in the table. They had won five of their first 12 games of the league season and had the worst defence in the top half of the Premier League.

See a pattern here?

Don't be surprised if ETH is gone before the next game. Probably for the best, give us a head start on finding a new manager. Break the bank for Emery.

GL21

They've got to have at least one professional Scouser. It's in the golden rule book of punditry.
any other scouser would be better. Jamie carragher is a scumbag, ego driven, scumbag. not that I would be giving sky any money with their greed anyway but their decision to have that W...anchor on screen is disgusting.

Nogbadthebad

If you are forced into a defense of two guys who can barely run, then you cannot put a third guy who can't run infront of them. Because if you do, you ship 4 goals to crystal palace.

No excuse for ten hag here, could see what waa going to happen the moment I saw eriksen's name.

You can't play 3 immobile players as the spine against a premier league team. It. Does. Not. Work.

More than that, it meant Mainoo and Mount were put under ridiculous pressure too, and that is not helping for long term development.

Onana should never have been bought. We'd be no worse off with De Gea on the pitch and 60 million better off in our budget.

Winrar

If ETH is somehow still in charge by the cup final, we might as well forfeit to save us the embarrassment of losing by more than 3.

Melville Red

ETH has sealed his fate. I don't even think an FA Cup can save him. And he might be the best choice for manager next season!

But he's done. And it's not just the unprecedent number of team losses he's managed this season, or even the the UCL dud.

It's that he needs his best players to play just to have a chance. And without them, he has no strategy or make-shift approaches in his lunch pail.

I'm pretty sure the play of the players today reflect their personal feelings about him behind closed doors.

He's done. And we may not come close to UCL for years as a result of this season. The 95 million Euros for Antony and the 50 million Euros for Onana are the final nails in his coffin. FFP will see to that.

Is anyone telling me that Dean Henderson (no transfer fee needed) would not have done a better (or even the same) job this season?
Indeed, Henderson must have laughed his bollocks off throughout that match.

RedRocket9908

:lol::lol::lol: What kind of reply is that. The guy was on for barely 10 minutes with the team morally broken at 4-0 down. He was hardly going to set the world on fire!!
I know we were 4 down and had nothing other than pride to play for but he had 16 minutes and seemed to be just jogging about doing very little.

Strachan8

The warning signs were there from last season’s end with the collapse in form after the League Cup victory (Casimero and Rashford both suffered a big drop off in performances) whilst Liverpool rallied strongly.

At least Weghorst could hold the ball up and defend from the front. Rasmus was dreadful tonight and looks knackered. The FA Cup Final will be a total embarrassment without a chance in manager and mentality.

Bright_Eyes

David Moyes lost his job as Manchester United manager on April 22, 2014 following a 2-0 defeat at Everton. That team would finish 7th in the league.

Van Gaal was sacked following the 2015-2016 campaign when the club finished 5th and scored only 49 goals for the PL season

Mourinho’s final game in charge at United came against Liverpool at Anfield in December 2018. Sadio Mane’s strike and a brace from Xherdan Shaqiri gave the hosts a 3-1 win, leaving United sixth in the league.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer lost his job as Manchester United manager on November 21, 2021 following a 4-1 defeat at Watford that left his side eighth in the table. They had won five of their first 12 games of the league season and had the worst defence in the top half of the Premier League.

See a pattern here?

Don't be surprised if ETH is gone before the next game. Probably for the best, give us a head start on finding a new manager. Break the bank for Emery.
What's the pattern? Our managers get sacked when they're underperforming?

Wing Attack Plan R

If you are forced into a defense of two guys who can barely run, then you cannot put a third guy who can't run infront of them. Because if you do, you ship 4 goals to crystal palace.

No excuse for ten hag here, could see what waa going to happen the moment I saw eriksen's name.

You can't play 3 immobile players as the spine against a premier league team. It. Does. Not. Work.

More than that, it meant Mainoo and Mount were put under ridiculous pressure too, and that is not helping for long term development.

Onana should never have been bought. We'd be no worse off with De Gea on the pitch and 60 million better off in our budget.
The season has been one long nightmare. DeGea would have saved a lot more shots, I'd take unease with the ball at his feet if it meant our keeper could stop some shots. We got absolutely rinsed on all of Ten Hag's buys: Onana, Antony, Mount, Malacia, Hojlund. Not saying they aren't any good but we paid double about what each player is worth. feck this, can't wait for this season to be done.

RedRocket9908

Still playing in morally broken team full of inept players. The poor guy can't do it on his own. Antony was on for three quarter of the game and did absolutely nothing. As he has done all season.
Antony did nothing? He probably had our best effort on goal other than the disallowed goals and more than once was back in our area doing the CB's job.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I enjoyed ironing 30 items of school uniform more than i did the match. The wife even came in and said “Jesus Christ, do you want to come and watch what I’m watching instead?”

Player Ratings

2.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Crystal Palace 2:1 Man Utd
  • 14% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd