CL W Champions League Group B

Manchester United 1:0 CSKA Moscow

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 November 2015

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The most telling thing about our performance was the width!

Rojo and Lingard on the left, Young on the right. We made the pitch big and that gave our midfielders the space to pass with a higher tempo than usual. It was back-to-basics stuff. Sometimes I think LvG is too clever for his own good.
I partially agree with you but we still rarely went round the outside. Having opposite footed wingers can be a plus but if we never change it up, the opposition know they are always going to cut back in. Mata does it almost every time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I partially agree with you but we still rarely went round the outside. Having opposite footed wingers can be a plus but if we never change it up, the opposition know they are always going to cut back in. Mata does it almost every time.
That's why we need Young back on the left asap. He's our only winger other then Martial (who needs to play up top) capable of going inside or outside with pace and doing it consistently. Youngs crossing might be average at best, but he gets in very good crossing positions and since Van Gaal has come in, he's consistently been the only one who has beat his fullback pretty much every week. Put him on the left and we'll have a consistent threat there and through the middle with Martial, and then just sort out the right.

RedDevil@84

It was a performance way above our usual standards. But we need to work on our accuracy. Loads of offsides.. And loads of times we cross without accuracy..

Sereques

70% possession and we scored one goal from a header. That's not a good performance at home in my book. If it was away then you wouldn't see me complaining.

First time beating a Russian opposition at OT, is that considered good?. Your media darling Paul didn't beat a Russian side at OT despite all the talk of United blowing teams away.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We tried to use the width of the pitch which helped create space. I think Rojo has been doing pretty well, but we really miss Luke Shaw. Him and Darmain at the start of the season really looked to give us some balance on the flanks.

Shiva87

Our group table is tighter than any other. PSV did us a huge favor today.
Not really. If wolfsburg had won, all we needed to qualify was to draw any one of the next 2 games. If anything, PSV made it more difficult for us. The next game is now a must win, if we draw PSV (home) and lose or draw to Wolfsburg (away), we will be 3rd.

Rezyuz

I dont get how some called this a shit performance.

Despite some ridiculous longballing some tried (carrick in general) and missed chances (well we are used to that with rooney top), the football was great and had huge entertainment value.

Been a long long time since neutral fans at my home were entertained by man utd.

Ixion

First time beating a Russian opposition at OT, is that considered good?. Your media darling Paul didn't beat a Russian side at OT despite all the talk of United blowing teams away.
Out of a grand total of 3 matches, 2 of which were in the UEFA Cup over 20 years ago. Who cares about a record like that.

NJM78

Actually, brining on Fellaini proved to be their undoing. It was a very shrewd move by Louis to disrupt their defensive shape.

Before that, both Lingaard and Martial were trying to dribble past defenders and failing. When Fellaini got on and the crosses came in, more than one player got pulled towards Fellaini, opening up space for other players to take advantage of. That sub changed the game for us.

Who should've been taken off was probably debatable. But, I guess taking off a 19 year old who has played continuously and may be too fatigued to contribute in a high pressure situation is not all that questionable. Keeping seasoned, experienced players on the ground to soak up the pressure and provide a breakthrough is genuinely a better option. Carrick stays calm, crosses the ball into the box, Lingaard brilliantly sets it up for Rooney who finishes it off coolly. Any other younger player other than Carrick or Rooney may not have been too cool in that situation. This is where experience counts. Plus, your captain cannot be subbed off in a tense situation like this unless he has been God awful which Rooney wasn't tonight.

I think, our team will fight for the wins if the fans get completely behind the manager and them. OT did feel a little embarrassing today with the negative chants and the booing.
I may have been slightly harsh on Fellaini but I think their tiredness and us actually passing the ball first time made more of a difference. Our two quick players were dribbling often due to this not happening at the time so they were trying too hard to make things happen. Lingard was already getting a lot of space whereas Martial was being double and sometimes triple marked. The booing aspect was considering we needed a goal and the most likely person to score a clear chance is him whether he has had a great game or not. The players would understand that and should be big enough to take it, the booing was aimed at Van Gaal anyway. They are not stupid.

As for fighting for wins we shouldn't have to do it so often and this is where the philosophy shackles us. We proved if we play more direct with quick forward passing then opposition defenses will struggle. No need for all the possession and pedestrian shit. Tactics change we'll improve that much is plain for everyone to see.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't see the Palace game, but if that was an improved performance and "quicker tempo" by comparison then jesus fecking christ.

An awful 90 minutes, and we would quite probably have lost if they hadn't contrived to miss an open goal.

I can only think of Smalling and De Gea who played well. The rest were between bad and awful. Lingard was at least trying hard enough that I felt sorry for him that he was playing shite, and he did get his reward for not going hiding, so marks for him.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Overall some good Football and fully deserved win. Would have been a shame if we had not taken 3 Points with us.

However, we are a bit toothless. Would like to see more direct stuff like the Goal.

Good Performances by Rooney, Rojo, Smalling.
Carrick, Young and Lingard not too bad either.

Depay seems to have completely lost his confidence. I hope he can get his head up again.

Well done Overall. We should win the Group.

drmuji

I didn't see the Palace game, but if that was an improved performance and "quicker tempo" by comparison then jesus fecking christ.

An awful 90 minutes, and we would quite probably have lost if they hadn't contrived to miss an open goal.

I can only think of Smalling and De Gea who played well. The rest were between bad and awful. Lingard was at least trying hard enough that I felt sorry for him that he was playing shite, and he did get his reward for not going hiding, so marks for him.
Wow. That's quite something. If someone thinks that two players who collectively made one save, which shouldn't actually be considering it was Mike's own fault to let the guy in --- then that person needs a pair of new glasses. We were dominant.... Utterly Dominant and created quite a few chances which weren't taken by the striker or Rojo in a couple of cases. Michael Carrick was brilliant and so was Lingard. Can't fault Basti for his work rate. There were bodies in the box all the time and we were quicker in conversion to the final third. Rooney spurred two chances, which any player should be converting.
Maybe you should have a look at the palace game before passing your judgement

Parma Dewol

For the first time last night I felt like leaving the stadium at half time to escape the traffic! :(

There was just something about the way we played. Too many touches by every player, slow movement of the ball, no real incision. Every pass looked choreographed and you could see our moves coming - and I don't remember their keeper having to do too much. It's also worth adding that CSKA looked absolutely awful, they were asking to be teared apart but we didn't have the speed or invention to do it.

Second half was better and the team seemed to improve as the crowd got going. When CSKA finally went on the attack (and almost scored) we were able to punish them moments later. Huge three points but still a lot of room for improvement in the attacking department.

On a side note, some funny chants in the stadium last night:

"We'll score when we want, we'll score when we waaannnntttt. We're Man Utd, we'll score when we want!"

"We're gonna score a goal. We're gonna score a goal. And now you're gonna believe us, and now you're gonna believe us. And now you're gonna belieeeveeeee ussss. We're gonna score a goal."

"We want to attack. We want to atttaaaccckkkk. We're Man Utd, we want to attack!"

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Wow. That's quite something. If someone thinks that two players who collectively made one save, which shouldn't actually be considering it was Mike's own fault to let the guy in --- then that person needs a pair of new glasses. We were dominant.... Utterly Dominant and created quite a few chances which weren't taken by the striker or Rojo in a couple of cases. Michael Carrick was brilliant and so was Lingard. Can't fault Basti for his work rate. There were bodies in the box all the time and we were quicker in conversion to the final third. Rooney spurred two chances, which any player should be converting.
Maybe you should have a look at the palace game before passing your judgement
Smalling played well all night and was having to, as usual, just sort of being there but not actually doing anything.

De Gea made one save, but if we didn't make it, we'd have probably lost the game.

Every touch Lingard had of the ball in the first half was bad. That is not "brilliant". In the second half he kept trying to take two or three people on by himself despiteit not once working, which again is not my idea of playing brilliantly. I admired his effort, and he put in a good ball for the goal.

Carrick had a decent spell in the second half, in the first he was too slow.

We were slow and poor in possession. We created few real chances against very average opposition. How many saves did their keeper make? I think one? and that was after the goal.

The amount of the game CSKA were just stood there watching us do feck all with the ball was embarassing. If we're passing the ball it should be to move or tire out the opposition. If their entire team is stood still watching us do it, that means we're doing it wrong.

This just seems to be another case of people pretending to see what they want to believe instead of paying attention to the actual game, which was a very poor one. On another night the same game ends 0-0 or 0-1 and the same people on here are whining about how awful it was.

Give me one reason why I would actually want to watch the Palace game. Was it that bad that this one actually did seem comparatively good?

jojose

the thinking behind this is that it is the overlapping full back which provides the width. successfully done expecially by rojo.
also....mata is never going to beat anybody on the outside, he couldn't beat our lass to the by line so it suits his left foot coming in from the right.

Gerald G

70% possession and we scored one goal from a header. That's not a good performance at home in my book. If it was away then you wouldn't see me complaining.
Winning 1-0 doesn't mean it wasn't a good performance.

There's still room for improvement obviously but it was a much, much improved performance.
We lacking in quality in the attacking positions in terms of personnel but our intent was good. More of the same please.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The criticism about the substitution is weird. Rooney was completing more of his passes than Martial. They were obviously trying to use Martial but it wasn't coming off. Who did they think was going to come off? Rooney actually wasn't that bad. He wasn't impacting on Martial, he was doing the impacting for himself. The M.E.N earlier had a headline that LvG still can't get his name right, when anyone who saw the press conference could see it was said as a joke. He called him Michael Smalling. Too many agendas out there now.

DomesticTadpole

Winning 1-0 doesn't mean it wasn't a good performance.

There's still room for improvement obviously but it was a much, much improved performance.
We lacking in quality in the attacking positions in terms of personnel but our intent was good. More of the same please.
I have seen some great 1-0 wins. Even 0-0 games can be great. If we don't score a bucket load of goals people will not be happy it seems.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I may have been slightly harsh on Fellaini but I think their tiredness and us actually passing the ball first time made more of a difference. Our two quick players were dribbling often due to this not happening at the time so they were trying too hard to make things happen. Lingard was already getting a lot of space whereas Martial was being double and sometimes triple marked. The booing aspect was considering we needed a goal and the most likely person to score a clear chance is him whether he has had a great game or not. The players would understand that and should be big enough to take it, the booing was aimed at Van Gaal anyway. They are not stupid.

As for fighting for wins we shouldn't have to do it so often and this is where the philosophy shackles us. We proved if we play more direct with quick forward passing then opposition defenses will struggle. No need for all the possession and pedestrian shit. Tactics change we'll improve that much is plain for everyone to see.
I disagree. Fellaini being brought on screwed up their shape during crosses. They were defending well against the dribbling. A 19 year old guy is the last person you can pun your hopes on during a high-pressure situation. Even if he's your best scorer, if he misses a sitter due to pressure, it negatively impacts his psyche. Lingaard pulling off a class assist was also a big boost to his confidence after he missed a few chances earlier. Even though the last free kick wasn't crucial for a win or loss, Memphis would have had a huge confidence boost had that gone in. At such times, the manager has to look up to his senior and mature players to deliver. And evidently, they did deliver.

By saying the fans are not stupid, you're counter presenting a point that the person who made the subsitution was stupid. Apparently, he's not.

And any team would've struggled the way we did against an extremely disciplined defensive performance by a team that is top in their league. Which means they have good players and a good manager. We needed to fight to win. And every time this happens, we will have to fight to win. Like Van Gaal said, it is not so easy to beat any team I'm Champions League.

We could constantly go direct yesterday because the other team wasn't playing to win. They were defending for a draw. It changes the dynamics. Yes, we were quicker and more attack minded which we should always be. I agree about that.

The point is, like VDS said in his article today, it will come.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think that a lot of groans/chants by the stadium crowd was because previously LVG stated that the fans in the stadium are very happy with things.
We had a full stadium against Middlesborough, so the fans are happy.
I think many fans heard that, so gave LVG some feedback, yesterday.

Bear in mind, Moyes got a standing ovation when he took us to 6th/7th place. The stadium fans actually applauded him (which stunned me).
So LVG 4 points from the top of the league and top of the CL group table, isn't consistent with the reception which Moyes/LVG got.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I have seen some great 1-0 wins. Even 0-0 games can be great. If we don't score a bucket load of goals people will not be happy it seems.
I realise that you are satisfied with 0-0 games, and thats fine.
But most people around the world watch teams because they can score goals. We relate goals with entertainment.

Madrid, Barca, Man City etc, are all enjoyable to watch not because they make 0-0 scorelines, but because they score goals.
And just to remind you, the aim of the game is to win, which can only be achieved by scoring goals. There is no other way to win games.

Todd

Great match for Lingard, happy to see a young kid get a big chance like that and put in a great performance.

Glad that it was Rooney that got the winner.

We might actually win this group after all.

siw2007

It was a tight one but I thought we deserved the three points and should have won by more. We came out trying to attack CSKA and played at a high tempo, it was disappointing not to go in to the break in the lead as we missed several great opportunities. Second half was more difficult and CSKA were very well drilled defensively which made it hard to break them down. I know fans were frustrated to see Martial go off for Fellaini but they had Anthony's number and we needed to change things. Schweinsteiger got us going in the middle of the park and our direct attacks eventually broke CSKA's resolve, and it was a good goal too.

Lingard stood out for me last night. He struggled in the first half to find an end product but he played with great enthusiasm and determination, he kept running at the Russian's defence in the hope that he could make something happen and was rewarded in the end. Rooney deserved some credit as it was one of his better games. He has been poor this year but he played well and got us the goal. Credit to De Gea and Smalling too, when you go for it you always run the risk of those counter attacks happening and at this point we needed some defensive brilliance from both of them and they delivered. In contrast, I disappointed in Mata who didn't really make an impact and Memphis who's confidence is at rock bottom.

DomesticTadpole

I realise that you are satisfied with 0-0 games, and thats fine.
But most people around the world watch teams because they can score goals. We relate goals with entertainment.

Madrid, Barca, Man City etc, are all enjoyable to watch not because they make 0-0 scorelines, but because they score goals.
And just to remind you, the aim of the game is to win, which can only be achieved by scoring goals. There is no other way to win games.
I am not satisfied with 0-0 games. I was just saying that a 0-0 should not always be taken at face value, that they can be entertaining. That there can be lots of attacks and fabulous defending and unbelievable saves from a goalkeeper.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Your right, it's perfectly acceptable for the fans to boo the manager/team and to openly be so against them. That really helps the team.

And if I was at the ground I'd say the same thing to everyone being a cnut around me as well. That's not how you support your team.
I was and not one person near me has booed apart from the Martial sub. I can tell you Stretford End was amazing and showed it's support for Van Gaal non-stop. Everyone sungbtheir heartbout so perhaps you think twice before being this unfair towards those who actually tried to support the team.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
the thinking behind this is that it is the overlapping full back which provides the width. successfully done expecially by rojo.
also....mata is never going to beat anybody on the outside, he couldn't beat our lass to the by line so it suits his left foot coming in from the right.
Yes I understand the concept behind an overlapping fullback, but it's not proved to be very effective for us, especially since Shaw's injury. This also highlights why Mata isn't a natural wideman. He always comes in, which limits our options and makes us more predictable, which was exactly the central premise to my entire point.

NJM78

I disagree. Fellaini being brought on screwed up their shape during crosses. They were defending well against the dribbling. A 19 year old guy is the last person you can pun your hopes on during a high-pressure situation. Even if he's your best scorer, if he misses a sitter due to pressure, it negatively impacts his psyche. Lingaard pulling off a class assist was also a big boost to his confidence after he missed a few chances earlier. Even though the last free kick wasn't crucial for a win or loss, Memphis would have had a huge confidence boost had that gone in. At such times, the manager has to look up to his senior and mature players to deliver. And evidently, they did deliver.

By saying the fans are not stupid, you're counter presenting a point that the person who made the subsitution was stupid. Apparently, he's not.

And any team would've struggled the way we did against an extremely disciplined defensive performance by a team that is top in their league. Which means they have good players and a good manager. We needed to fight to win. And every time this happens, we will have to fight to win. Like Van Gaal said, it is not so easy to beat any team I'm Champions League.

We could constantly go direct yesterday because the other team wasn't playing to win. They were defending for a draw. It changes the dynamics. Yes, we were quicker and more attack minded which we should always be. I agree about that.

The point is, like VDS said in his article today, it will come.

I think we obviously disagree on a few things but that's what is great about the caf and forums in general, to air opinions. I do understand there is no easy game in the CL but we seem to struggle in 90% of our games under LvG whether against a top team or a team who seems to be struggling against everyone else and that is down to the way we play. This is my more my overall point as opposed to just being based on the CSKA game.

I don't want booing to become a habit of the fans but in that instant I could understand it. It wasn't a shrewd a move as I think you believe it was, it was his constant go to move when struggling, throw on Fellaini. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but he could have been brought on to replace BFS for instance who was fading after about 55 mins and not for our most dangerous player. At the end of the day we won so that's great and a lot of thanks go to big Dave and Mike for that as much as anybody else.

Lets just see what approach we take against WBA who will no doubt play the same way hoping to take home a point, I feel we will struggle again if everything is slow in the build up. Also I hope VDS is right!

jojose

Yes I understand the concept behind an overlapping fullback, but it's not proved to be very effective for us, especially since Shaw's injury. This also highlights why Mata isn't a natural wideman. He always comes in, which limits our options and makes us more predictable, which was exactly the central premise to my entire point.
You could argue it increases options. Whilst mata might always come inside, if the full always over laps we have the option of width provided by the full back, Mata getting a shot off with his left....or mata picking a pass.

I understand exactly what your saying but wingers that go past full backs, get to the byline and cross the ball are few and far between. Even the ones with the ability to do so are all played on the opposite wing to encourage them inside......Ronalso and Messi being the obvious ones.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 676 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Moscow win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Moscow
  • 22% Man Utd 1:0 Moscow