CL W Champions League Group B

Manchester United 1:0 CSKA Moscow

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 November 2015

LARulz

Took a while. Thank goodness for De Gea and Smalling

dsch

14 shots, 7 on target. More of the same, please. (With better finishing.)

Lingard MOTM

InfiniteBoredom

Shit performance, perfect result, with PSV's win.

Take care of them next at home and we finish top, can't ask for more than that.

Manchie

Massive 3 points and better play eventhough it is not decorated with goals.

Raw

We actually played much better than usual for most of the game. CSKA aren't an easy team to beat (haven't they lost like 1 game this season or something) so I'm happy with that result.

Smalling is my MOTM.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Thank god. And the best of all it was Rooney who scored.

Lingard showed the desire though, he kept going and going, amazing effort from the lad.

space

Dominated, should have had more, in the end you have to give Rooney some credit. Disagree about Martial getting taken off, but he has played a lot so may have been tired. BFS, Lingard and Mata were very good I thought, Rojo too. Mike Smalling is something else!

imperi

And why is that? We gave little away and created some very good chances. I certainly disagree.

Riz

Not necessarily, it guarenteed progress to the last 16 though.

Get In Scholesy

It was a win and I'm very happy about that. However, we could have played smarter football but credit to CSKA, they played the offside trap efficiently. A win and we are through, PSV at home, it's in our hands.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Generally better. Rooney improved. Lingaard isn't that good but was one of our better players today. Result.

Godfather

Good performance I thought overall. Especially first half. Second was a bit meh but gave us the goal. Important win.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
dominated without overly threatening, but kept them to the minimum of chances. Although obviously one was a really good chance. When Young slipped it looked curtains, but thankfully their man had zero composure

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's no surprise we look better when we have a bit of vigour to our attack and we don't mess about as much (shown with the goal).

At the time, let's be honest, it was a shocking decision taking Martial off. Luckily for LVG he's got away with it.
Hopefully Rooney goes on to improve now though.
Well played by Lingard for the goal too. Didn't take the cowards way out and chose the harder option.

Smalling excellent again. If we get someone of real quality next to him we're looking really good at the back with a bit more organisation.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Big couple of minutes for us there. Great save, good finish. Lot of hand-wringing on here but LVG will only have had his beliefs confirmed in that 90 minutes. Total domination, probing till we found the finish, solid again, pole position in the group. We may dig in for the long haul, men. Can't see anything changing in the near future.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
good at times, too slow at others, good defensively apart from one major lapse, happy with the result, not the score though

rpitchfo

much better than recent performances. we still don't look like we quite understand how we are supposed to actual put together a coherent attacking move...but the desire was there tonight.

Devil may care

There were patches of improved play in attack but I felt we faded in both halves, thankfully got the goal and 3 points.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Relieved. I genuinely worried that it wouldn't happen for us tonight. When Martial went off I almost lost it. As it is, it all worked out in the end.

Lingard missed a lot of chances but he never let his head drop, and in the end he produced a lovely bit of quality for Rooney's goal. Rooney was much better tonight, despite the bizarre tangle of legs he got into from Mata's square ball in the six yard box, and he took his header with aplomb. Smalling was beastly, as ever, and De Gea's composure in the one on one was a sight for sore eyes. Must give our lads so much confidence knowing Dave's behind them.

Result puts us top of the group thanks to Wolfsburg's loss in Holland. Win one, draw one and we're through. A very good night in the end.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good win in the end. The supporters pissed me off, poor form from them all game. Should be ashamed of themselves. 1 win from our next 2 and we're through.

Rooney put in his best performance in ages. Still loads of room for improvement, but there was a clear lack of confidence from almost everyone on the pitch. Lingard did well with the assist but he ruined a lot before that. Still visibly just a youngster. We need to do better in attack though. And get Young on the wing, not at fullback.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
That should see us through the group, assuming we don't collapse in the remaining 2 games. Very well played by LVG.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 676 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Moscow win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Moscow
  • 22% Man Utd 1:0 Moscow