PL L FA Premier League

Everton 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2019

AOAARON

Supports
liverpool
What if Ole's not actually a good coach and doesn't know how to really have the team controlling games? It looks that way to me. When the honeymoon period and the players short lived motivation went... we've been horrible.
Short lived motivation.

I think that's the problem, as opposed to Ole's talent as a coach.

In what world have players at any big football club be allowed "Short lived motivation"? They should be motivated ALL the time. And yes, you do get players who struggle to get motivated... and they're players who aren't fit enough to wear the badge and ultimately end up at lesser teams.

Don't fire your coaches over and over and give those players a new, much better paid home.

I find it maddening. I remember reading how SAF used to make sure his players were still hungry and motivated, despite them winning title after title. The hardest thing sometimes afterall is to motivate someone after they've been there and done it.

But the set of boys you guys have.. They've done nearly nothing in English football within the last 5 years yet can't be motivated? Everything I see United players do from Snapchat to Instagram dance videos to being the newest fashion icons... I feel like this is all stuff you do when the going is good. You do this stuff when you're on top. But they're not. The players remind me of that kid in school who partied every weekend, drives around in his new car and then fails his exams and is ultimately going no where in life.

KristianMackle

At this point, I'm seriously ok with both DDG and Pogba leaving. Unpopular opinion that may be but I feel like we cant count on Pogba's consistency. Neither can we count on De Gea's. Pogba especially, I dont feel is all in. He feels bigger than the club and Mourinho was right.

ash_86

What if Ole's not actually a good coach and doesn't know how to really have the team controlling games? It looks that way to me. When the honeymoon period and the players short lived motivation went... we've been horrible.
Tactics come into picture only against top clubs . Likes of everton , West ham should be beatable irrespective of tactics by a club in status of united .

DaRussianRed

Supports
Mourinho
Tactics come into picture only against top clubs . Likes of everton , West ham should be beatable irrespective of tactics by a club in status of united .
This isn’t some Mickey Mouse league where tactics don’t matter. Plus Everton is a decent side coming off an embarrassing loss. For starters I don’t think playing 4 3 3 with Lukaku on top away from home was a good idea.

DSG

So the fans are responsible for buying cast offs. Is your name Woodward?
You people seem to think Woodward is scouting and buying these players. No. It’s the managers. Same setup as when SAF was in charge. Mourinho bought Matic, Fred, Dalot, Zlatan, Pogba, Lindelof, Sanchez. LvG bought Martial, DiMaria, Schweinsteiger, Blind, Falcao, Schneiderlin, Depay, Robo. Moyes bought Fellaini. All of this is well documented. Woodward writes the checks.

We’ve the second most net spend on players in the last 5 years at 500m+, about 200m behind City. We’ve spent tons of money. These were bad buys, no doubt. Tottenham has a net spend of 35m over the last 5 years.

Woodward has written tons of checks. There are three reasons we are where we are:
1. The managers have made poor decisions in the transfer market.
2. We need a more modern structure with a DoF.
3. We lost our culture, our philosophy and our soul.

I’m not defending Woodward. He definitely bears some of the responsibility. He hired these managers. But let’s be honest: managers who felt they had to win immediately bought poorly, and most of these players don’t have our ethos. Because the managers didn’t have our ethos.

Denis79

Depends really, today we tried to sit off Everton and counter them. Didn't go too well. As the "better" team we should be controlling the game, not rely on counters only.

ash_86

Depends really, today we tried to sit off Everton and counter them. Didn't go too well. As the "better" team we should be controlling the game, not rely on counters only.
We don't have a natural controller in our team . We haven't dominated games in years except for odd ones here and there. Again the we don't need to dive into talking about tactics too much againt everton . This team should be doing more than getting 1 shot on target regardless of tactics .

Intilo

Can anyone reminds me when the last time pairing chuckle brothers work ? If we use them we must use Fellaini to bypass enemy press because these 2 along with De Gea is incapable of building attack from the back. Remember what Jose said, in order to attack you have to fix the defense first, good defender allow free flowing football , every attack start from defense this is why Pep spend more on defense than on attack. Mourinho only played hoofball with us, He didn't actually hoofing it from the back when he was with Inter or Real Madrid, that says a lot about our defender. I really hate how Ole put Lindelof on the right when he is the only one who can build from the back. Smalling isn't footballer , apart from winning header , he is useless, he should be the one to be subbed in +80 minutes onward to close up the shop meanwhile , Jones should not be in our club anymore.

Canagel

Away from controlling the more alarming aspect is our complete toothlessness and inability to create chances and take them. Certainly recently at least. From an attacking perspective the only one that can be relied to pass the ball and create some danger with consistency is pogba passing. There's literally nothing else. Our crossing from wide areas doesn't exist, we don't create overlaps, barely any successful combination plays- anything on the flank breaks down in 2 second, we don't have single attacker player that can be relied on to finish their dinner in the event we create a rare opening. We're a shocking football team tbh.

Last edited:

ErranMorad

And his team were on their knees towards the end of that season. Even when he had a preseason it was a similar situation. It’s only this year where they look a different outfit
No, they weren't. Made the finals of both Europa & the league cup.

The point is that it was evident what the manager was trying to do even though it may not have worked on the field every time. We have reverted to back to Jose's counter attacking and hoofball system instead of building on the earlier approach. The evidence is that we ran 4km less than Everton in each half of football.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really. A specific tactical adjustment is used against the better teams, but the general tactical setup /style of play is always relevant and over the course of the entire season too

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The players attitude was summed up by a martial moment today. We had a rare attack, he broke into the box and then he misplaced the final pass. He then stood like a statue in their box looking around him as Everton played it out and countered... wtf is he doing, move, chase back.. just dont stand like a stone statue looking like the dummest feck on meryside.

He wasnt the ony one but that moment told me all i need to know about his desire and attitude. We cant have players like that, no matter how talented they maybe. If they dont want to fight and battle on a really off days then get rid.
That's Martial in a nutshell, he seems to not understand why the play broke down and that he was at fault. He has that look about 3 or 4 times a match.

OneUnited24

No, they weren't. Made the finals of both Europa & the league cup.

The point is that it was evident what the manager was trying to do even though it may not have worked on the field every time. We have reverted to back to Jose's counter attacking and hoofball system instead of building on the earlier approach. The evidence is that we ran 4km less than Everton in each half of football.
What was their form like in the league? No one can say that team didn’t look unfit towards the end of that season. Unless they’re trying to rewrite history. If that’s the case then carry on.

ash_86

Not really. A specific tactical adjustment is used against the better teams, but the general tactical setup /style of play is always relevant and over the course of the entire season too
We setup in a 433 which we have under Ole before and seen better results and performance . Tactics today didn't make the team have just 1 shot on target . Its on the players

ash_86

This isn’t some Mickey Mouse league where tactics don’t matter. Plus Everton is a decent side coming off an embarrassing loss. For starters I don’t think playing 4 3 3 with Lukaku on top away from home was a good idea.
Let's not take this away from the players . They were absolutely dog shit and failed to have a shot on target until their fourth goal . Surely tactics or not that's poor

kerryman

No desire or effort when there's a massive prize still at stake. Simply not an acceptable situation.
Agreed, it's quite unbelievable that they turned in a performance like that when a win would have us in 4th place level on points with Spurs with only 4 games to go.
They showed no desire to finish top 4 and get into CL next season.
If we are going to bring in players in the summer having CL to offer is a big incentive for many players to sign these days.
I really don't understand it...something is rotten. How many of these players think they could sign for a CL club on similar wages to what Utd pay if they leave? Pogba and DDG only I'd say.
Does Martial think any top club in Europe would have him for performances like that and also pay him the wages he gets at OT, he's never going to have it as good as he has now so why can't he make an effort? Same goes for most of the others.
I think Pogba sees himself as bigger than the club and wants out to Madrid and many of his mates in the dressing room probably know this. Big clear out needed sadly.

Water Melon

Herrera will be missed. He was one of the very few who gave his all no matter what. Prior to his first injury under Ole, he was the one doing all the dirty work in midfield. It will be hard to replace him, mark my words. Should have extended his contract earlier, as neither Fred nor Matic are as effective as Ander was, while Pogba is a better midfielder but less consistent and does not have Ander's tenacity. Our terrible recent will most likely continue against City, and I have no doubt that the midfield battle will be lost pants down without even putting a proper fight.

chilakak

Nothing was positive from the match. maybe is time to give Andreas more game time instead of Fred. Lets's give chances to the all the young lads.

predator

Youth NITK
We just aren't good enough. I was at goodison yesterday and I've honestly never seen such an all round bad performance from a professional football club before. It was embarrassing. Disorganised and void of any passion.

Ole deserves a summer to rebuild and did who he thinks isn't up for it.

FrenchRed

We have reverted to back to Jose's counter attacking and hoofball system instead of building on the earlier approach. The evidence is that we ran 4km less than Everton in each half of football.
This is shocking, we should outwork every team we play, as a minimum.

We have too many players unwilling or unable to put in the hard yards.

RedAlways78

I’ve said this before that we rushed to appoint OGS but people disagreed. I know there are players we need to oust but I would have preferred Poch.

Axle17

I blame the players that have been bought by our previous three managers. The garbage that we have representing the shirt is pathetic and we just kept bringing in more and more garbage.

Obviously these players are motivated by their ego, so why not boo the crap out of Pogba when he gets the ball? Maybe that will have a mental impact on him.. Because talking to them has no effect.

What's more disappointing is the opportunity of both Tottenham and the Arse losing!

Celoti23-81

We setup in a 433 which we have under Ole before and seen better results and performance . Tactics today didn't make the team have just 1 shot on target . Its on the players
The tactics and team selection were as much as fault as the players. Rashford has never had a good game on the right wing. Lindelof was rubbish at right back at Barcelona, so why pick him there again. So again the right hand side struggled, and saw Digne and Bernard completely dominate.

The other side we had Dalot and Martial, 2 players awful at defending. So Everton had a field day that side too.

Matic shouldn't have started when his job was to keep tabs on Sigurdsson. He struggles against those kind of players cause his mobility let's him down.

We should go for the 3-5-2 formation for the rest of the season. The team has no balance whatsoever. Our wingers are in reality not wingers, and our full backs but for Shaw can't really defend.

I would go Romero in goal, Lindelof, Bailly and Jones centre backs. Young and Shaw wing backs. Mctominay, Fred and Pogba in midfield. And Rashford and martial up top. At least it has balance and it's not shoe Horning players into positions that don't suit them.

Bestietom

One rotten Potato will spread quickly. Too many players not Performing. It's not the manager as these same players went 14 games unbeaten.

Verbalkint

At this point, I'm seriously ok with both DDG and Pogba leaving. Unpopular opinion that may be but I feel like we cant count on Pogba's consistency. Neither can we count on De Gea's. Pogba especially, I dont feel is all in. He feels bigger than the club and Mourinho was right.
That's the problem with Pogba. For someone with his price, ego and all that social media jazz he isn't showing up on the bloody pitch often enough. He has never been a consistent week in, week out player for United. I'll be happy if he takes that awful agent of his and leaves. It'll fund 2 players at least.

Verbalkint

I’m glad we won. I think we deserved it and some credit should be given for our performance too.
For sure, mate. For sure. Some great goals and attacking play in there. Our defence was shit and you guys exploited the heck out of it. Fair play.

extincti fugax hominum

That was the perfect game to get the three points which would have get us in front of both Arsenal & Chelsea in the table and level us on points with Spurs in the third place and also losing to City wouldn’t gonna hurt us but it would Liverpool. Now we’ll look to Burnley, Brighton and Wolves to do us a favour and hope our overpaid prima donnas don’t turn up against City like they did last year to prevent Liverpool being PL champions for the first time ever. What’s more hurtful is it happened because of the lack of effort and desire and was preventable. It’s feckin infuriating and I’m still mad. Fecking gutless stupid useless overpaid bastards.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Said in another thread, the players got what they wanted, a soft manager who is friendly and let's them "express themselves". Now hes been appointed, no reason to worry or try, easy time now.
This does seem to be the case.
God forbid that our manager be a serial winner like SAF or Jose, both of which, will demand hard graft on the pitch and matching winning performances.

And to think that we are about to let go of Herrera who is the kind of player who grafts and who can captain this team.

It is shocking that we went from title winning form to relegation form in the space of 1 month.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hoping to see the players redeem themselves in the next match! They need to make a statement and win the next fixture!
This has been said multiple times before. There is no response from these players.
We lose 1 match, then the next match we lose by a bigger margin.

Player Ratings

2.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Everton 0:2 Man Utd