PL L FA Premier League

Everton 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2019

Steerpike

There is just nothing positive to say after that showing. There was an absence of effort and commitment from so many players that it's hard to know where to start. Some of those in the side today should not be picked again this season and, unless they show a real change in attitude, should not be picked again for the club. I'm not talking about players who simply had a poor game - Dalot and Fred for example fall into that category - but players who can do so much better but just don't appear to be up for the fight.

What, right now, is the point of Martial? He can be a great player when he performs, but we're effectively taking the field with ten men when he doesn't. Why did Pogba wait until the game was essentially over before he actually got on the ball? How does arguably the best goalkeeper in the world ship five goals from outside the box in the space of two games? Perhaps the pertinent question is whether these players still want to be here. If they don't, and it's certainly possible to form that view after today, then we need to ship them out.

To be clear, nobody was very good for us today. Rashford's decision making was woeful, Lukaku's touch was elephantine, Lindelof was all at sea, and Matic just looks past it. Jones and Smalling, whilst far from convincing, at least played with a decent level of commitment. McTominay, when he came on, got involved and was one of the few to appear angry about what was happening on the pitch. For that reason alone, he warrants the dubious honour of being our man of the match.

I hope Ole uses the games left in the season to give a few youngsters a run out. They may be out of their depth, but I'm sure they'll at least put a shift in. Let's face it, the results are basically immaterial now as there's no way this team, playing as it is, will pick up four wins and make the top four.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he is always so quick to side with managers because of the train wreck that happened with him and Valencia so he doesn’t want to dish out what people were giving to him
Not only that, some of those players have been around too long and don't care. They should have gone long ago but the board preferred to sack the manager instead because it's cheaper.

RuudTom83

Everton ran 8km more.. thats just effort, plain and simple. Im still on board with ole, he got us what 10 wins out of 12?
3 managers in 5 years and now we've got a squad that doesnt fit at all , gut it out.
It's like the players think putting the United shirt on makes they great and they don't have to even try...

I don't understand with all the data available, you could clearly see who wasn't putting a shift in! give them a warning and if they don't buck up then sit them on the bench.

Jeffthered

Most certainly the worst performance I can remember, and that is across a number of managers.

That is a group of players that need to be broken up.

And the club needs to change, because something is not right. And it is deep-seated. And it isn't all about players, or a player.

I want this season over, some players out, and then we move on.

You know the weird thing is, as stunned and as low as I feel, I do feel we as a club, needed these recent games. Because it is highlighting everything.. players, the structure of the club. All of it.

Ravel96

Gary Neville is absolutely right. This is a spineless performance. Players jogging around rather than bursting a few lungs to get up and down the field. I'd like to see more than half the team sold.

space

Feeling bad for Ole. He defended these players when he joined. He said they were talented. Look at the performances now. They are all utter wankers and I wouldn't care if every single one of them left. This game should be the last we ever see of some of that lot.

Sara125

Not only that, some of those players have been around too long and don't care. They should have gone long ago but the board preferred to sack the manager instead because it's cheaper.
Yeah I do agree that in this instance he is right to side with the manager

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Theres no evidence at all that we could not get trashed by City 8-0 or something. For real

Im so sorry for all of us, the fans. We have reached a new low and the only ones to blame are thes spoiled kids in our team sheet. I hope they enjoy their inflated wages

AJ10

Put our players under any sort of pressure and they'll crumble, regardless the opposition. No need for talent/brilliant tactics for any opposition team just put these pussies under pressure and you've won or got a point.

RedIke

Got to the point where I 2as hoping Everton would score two more.

Maybe that's what this group needs. Previous managers, pundits, and even Ole can say it until they're out of breath. But a real beat down from a mid-table team might finally be the wake up call this team could use.

Because, and I know I'm in the minority here, but this team is still in middle of a fight to earn CL games next year, and they're good enough to fishish up there. And it's still possible.

So wake the feck up, get refocused and finish the season strong.

Red Stone

It's a sad state of affairs when I want to see more than half of the squad gone, but we absolutely need a top-to-bottom renovation. There has to be some next-level toxicity in that dressing room that has to go as soon as possible, and then we need to find players with a semblance of desire.

Surely Woody must realize that having a squad full of extremely unlikeable individuals isn't great for business?

john moran

Let's hope we see the Baby Faced Assassin get as ruthless with the squad as he did in front of goal and that he is actually allowed to do so.
Waaaaaaay too many average/below average players sucking on the United tit and a fair few also taking the Michael.
Bad luck and mistakes influenced the score line against Barca in both legs but it doesn't cover up the fact that MAJOR surgery is needed to get us back on the right track.
Ole is the man for me, he gets United, is one of us and knows what it takes to be a United player.......over to the lot upstairs, get your freakin' fingers out!

I posted this after the Barca game and here we are after a capitulation against an average Everton team and I believe this even more. Too many players either simply not good enough for United or think they're too good for us and way too many not bothered enough to put in a proper display.
G Nev just said it on Sky......rancid.
Pogba is a cancer in the team and the club , get him out now. He needs to be joined by at least 5 of that team that started today . Martial , Matic , Smalling , Jones and Luckaku . By the time we play everton in 2 years time i would be surprised if more than 3 of the starters today are still at the club .

That how dramatic the clean out needs to be. As for the Glaziers, you have had your time and your pound of flesh, just go.

ErranMorad

Everton ran 8km more.. thats just effort, plain and simple. Im still on board with ole, he got us what 10 wins out of 12?
3 managers in 5 years and now we've got a squad that doesnt fit at all , gut it out.
That is a bit concerning. Ole keeps mentioning in his press conferences that a United team should always run and work harder than the opposition. So I was shocked to find out that Everton ran 4Kms more than us at half time. Are these players not listening to his instructions? Are they tired? What is the reason for us not putting in the effort when the manager clearly wants it?

Patrick08

Never a good lineup that. Mctominay and matic needed to sit deep in this game behind pogba.

Mess up smalling and lindelof partnership with jones and put lindelof on the right and lukaku up top. Recipe for disaster against physical hard working side like Everton.

redmanx

Well hey, we lost away to the team one place below us. Surely that can't be such a big deal, right? Right...?
Its not about the losing its about the way we lost, this wasn't a Manchester United team, it was a bunch of overhyped, over rated, selfish, lazy, arrogant players who should be ashamed but instead will simply get in their flashy cars and bugger off, leaving the supporters who help pay their grossly inflated wages and nurture their grossly inflated egos to wonder just what the feck is going on!

pogs

Lindelof at RB was a mistake. Ole should have trusted Lindelof to deal with physical game of Everton’s young striker. Matic has become way too slow and his general awareness was non existent. Everton was pressing hard and we had nobody to cope with from the back and through the middle.
Well every player was sleepwalking so maybe it didn’t matter nonetheless. This is really hard to understand after what the team did in Paris.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Definitely agree on this. I can see him leaving. I don’t blame him really, his supporting cast is dreadful and I don’t think he’ll want to be part of a rebuilding period unless we somehow manage to get star quality players this summer which is highly unlikely so definitely we should cash on him now.
The saga to bring him in was such hard work though, I'd hate to lose him.
We'd all like to bring in a stack of those players bubbling just under top quality who can develop, but that's so much easier said that done.
It takes huge patience, which most of us have zero of. Remember the abuse Ronaldo used to get at the start!!

Tosicsleftpeg

Thank God I didn't get to see the game bit by the sounds of things it was atrocious. We definitely need to make some changes in the personel and I'm amazed at some of the renewals.
We are crying out for a partner to lindelof and a right back. We are also in dire need of another Central mid and a right sided attacker.

Players I wouldn't mind see leave...

Rojo
Matic
Jones (but he signed a new deal...)
Darmian
Sanchez

And I'm 5050 on Pogba at the moment as I know he can be great but in don't think he wants to be here anymore and would take the money for a rebuild.

MrBest

We do not get top 4, they all have a 25% pay cut. Works for me. Sell Pogba, he is a virus (wonder where i heard that before), martial can go, lukaku,lingard .... i think i have no affiliation with any of these players. I have accepted we will be finishing 6th, i just hope we can sign some players. Absolute joke this team are, i refuse to watch another game this season unless Ole puts the money where his mouth was and play the youth. I think we will get more out of that than watching crap and overrated pogbas.

Edit: how are people digging into Fred! It is clear he cannot play with a imobile Matic. Ole needs to get him out his ass.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well hey, we lost away to the team one place below us. Surely that can't be such a big deal, right? Right...?
In one way, yes you're spot on.
People were getting blaze about Everton being crap, but Everton away has always been a tough game, except if you're Liverpool.

But 4-0?! That's a shocker.

Red_Army10

Living in Switzerland - Originally from Australia
Gary Nevilles assessment was so right. No real fan will go against Ole and rightfully so. The problem is with Woodward and some of the deadwood.

I mean the only players who have really been playing with the club badge on their hearts is Rashford, De Gea and Herrera.

Pogba costed 100m to prance around doing what exactly? Scoring penalties and posting on social media everyday?

Fred was a massive waste of money as well. Lukaku offers absolutely nothing.

We really need a clean out. Just sweep out all the weeds and start from scratch.

Buy 5-6 quality players and give the youngsters a promotion. They will do far better than this mob.

OneUnited24

That is a bit concerning. Ole keeps mentioning in his press conferences that a United team should always run and work harder than the opposition. So I was shocked to find out that Everton ran 4Kms more than us at half time. Are these players not listening to his instructions? Are they tired? What is the reason for us not putting in the effort when the manager clearly wants it?
How do you think players can run more? It’s not as simple as ole telling them to. You have to work on that throughout the season but lay the ground work in preseason. Under Jose we ran the least out of most clubs in the league. Similar story with lvg .... but that should be fixed a couple of months under ole? Ok.

Irwin99

:lol: So who did you all pick for MOTM? I went for Fred, since he didn't stink up the second half.
I've been really critical of Pogba but at least he made a few decent passes. Best of an exceptionally bad group of players.

Btw so much for the 'Dalot should be starting ahead of Young' argument :houllier:

ErranMorad

How do you think players can run more? It’s not as simple as ole telling them to. You have to work on that throughout the season but lay the ground work in preseason. Under Jose we ran the least out of most clubs in the league. Similar story with lvg .... but that should be fixed a couple of months under ole? Ok.
Almost 6 months.....

We were doing it at the beginning of Ole's reign. What has changed since then?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Well this is a new low. I honestly think we're better off selling everyone and starting fresh with 15 new players.

john moran

He has to be thinking he's wasting his prime years here. He has to be.

Manchester United are one of the biggest football teams on the planet and you think this jerk is "wasting his time here" . No matter where he is Pogba will be a malign influence on a club and the players . He never will and probably isn't capable of putting in the level of effort and concentration that the really top players have and put in year after year .Players like Ronaldo Messi do it . Hopefully Madrid are desperate enough to buy him

cyril C

Back to the future, this is the kind of performance that got Mourinho sacked

Icemav

Definitely agree on this. I can see him leaving. I don’t blame him really, his supporting cast is dreadful and I don’t think he’ll want to be part of a rebuilding period unless we somehow manage to get star quality players this summer which is highly unlikely so definitely we should cash on him now.
The only way Ole's appointment works is if Ole kept winning and performing miracles and the board splashed the cash like Japanese businessman at a Karaoke bar.

Well the first part has come crashing down and I doubt the board will spend like they need to. So on one side the big players won't want to join a mess of a club without CL football, and the we won't spend enough to bring top top signings.

If some of our better players leave then this could get ugly very very quickly for the club.

Betson

The problem in the summer is that every other chairman out there know just how desperate we are to bring quality into the squad , price tags are going to crazy every time we show interest.

Then you have Real Madrid likely to be on a massive spending spree as well further inflating the market for the top players.

We may be Manchester United but he name does not carry as much currency these days as it used in attracting players who have options with other big clubs , been out of the CL is not going to help that.

OohAahMartial

Ole really slamming the players in the post match press conference. Not individually, but very clear that some don't have the desire, effort or fitness to stay at the club.

Player Ratings

2.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Everton 0:2 Man Utd