PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 December 2019

Godfather

Just can't break teams down that put men behind the ball. These results against teams going for it don't mean shit if we can't do it against 70% of the other teams.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Same thing again, against teams who sit deep we create so very little. Its also telling that most other big teams have solid level guys to freshen up the attack, city normally have one of the silvas mahrez, jesus on the bench and we have Mata and a 17 year old to save the day.

ExoduS

We got the fight, spirit and pace. We need better tactics and midfielders with better technical abilities. We are 2 signing away from being a decent side. Hopefully we don't f up. Bad performance today. We seem to always concede and then struggle to score. Basically we have to score first or else we are in big trouble.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Their goal shouldn't be given.
I dunno, we can moan about that all we want but De Gea is still at fault there, for me. If he’s stronger there he gets somewhere near the ball and either punches it away, or gets properly cleaned out and the foul is given. As it is he hides from the ball and makes the refs mind up.

SteveW

Deserved to win. Story of most of these games. Greenwood is the real deal. Lingaed should have had us up 1-0 after 16 seconds.

Im looking forward to our squad being strengthened.

To be fair, we played 1-1 vs Manchester United today. Everton were barely participating

We gain on the 4th place which is whats impotant.

8 shots on goal. Deserved to, and should have, walked aaway with a win here.
Shooting was terrible. 19 shots off target? Ridiculous. Should have won that easily on the balance of play.

Gasolin

How do you know James was tired?
My understanding is that James is fit enough to play for 90 minutes.
Whatever the case though, subbing of James, for Mata, did not make a difference to the score line.

The issue we have is that we are a counter attacking team. If a team does not attack us, then our attackers don't know how to break that team down.
If a team attacks us, they leave more space in their own defence, which Rashford is very good at exploiting. This is why against teams like LFC and MCFC (who came to attack us), we did well.
If a team wants to beat us, they need to hit us on the counter - that's the best tactic to use. And as it happens, it is the smaller teams who tend to use this tactic, which is why we do poorly against the smaller teams.
If James was effective, he should be able to get us space and situations in that left side. It did not happen. So we just need to play between a lot of opposition players near the box. Mata is better in that regard.

R'hllor

Nobody could see this coming. After 2 wins vs Spurs and City, people just went full Dory and acted like season started 10 days ago.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Unless you have Liverpool or City’s attack, you’re going to drop points unless you keep clean sheets. Conceding soft goals hurts.

pascell

Business as usual. The hype and praise for Rashford midweek has gone to his head, he was very greedy today, Martial was just a lazy b*stard. When James had the chance to cross the ball, Rashford was back post behind 3 Everton defenders, Martial was on the edge of the box. That's why we're not scoring enough, our only striker is at the edge of the box when the ball is about to be whipped into the box.

kidbob

Also Haaland is a must now (despite my reservations) because we need more than one game changer off the bench. As another poster said this is where our squad should be right now so it's up to Ed and the Glazers to pump the money in January and the summer. Poch is also clearly an option but IMO it's worth waiting for the Rose and Naaglesman of the World.

Roboc7

What we should expect, we average point a game from these type of fixtures and likely to continue based on that performance. Anything more than 3 points from next 3 games would be an improvement for us.

iHicksy

Martial is an absolute joke attitude wise. Strolls around, no urgency, not making runs. Greenwood showed him in 5minutes what a striker should be doing for Manchester United. I'd drop him for Mason next game. Rashford after looking absolutely world class was really selfish and reverted to how he's been pre his good run of form.
Lingard was useless, as soon as Ole replaces Martial and and gets Pogba in we'll hopefully be able to unlock teams that don't play into our counter attacking game. That said, we should have been 2-0 up after 10 minutes, poor misses by Lingard and James. It's hard to fault James though, he never stops running and works so so hard to win the ball back. Fred is an absolute work horse too, I feel like McSauce and Fred behind pogba will change the dynamic of our attack.

Defensively we can't really be faulted. We just have an issue that AWB (can be be beaten 1v1?!) and Shaw don't offer enough going forward. Shaw definitely needs replacing, it's clear as day he's never going to be the player he was pre leg break and we need someone who can put more of a shift in.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What is my agenda? wanting us to beat teams and win titles. I guess I am guilty. So tell me now, when Pogba is back and we still look like today, will you change your mind?
We all want us to beat teams and win titles. Expecting this team to do that, despite all the obvious deficiencies is illogical. And when we invariably struggle to break teams down, you pretend our lack of creativity isn’t an issue? Tell me who the creative players are in our team, go on. Instead of just saying it’s all Ole’a fault, elaborate on it. You would have thought this places would’ve learned something from having LvG and Jose fail here.

siw2007

Wasn’t a bad performance, but we didn’t do enough against a resilient Everton side and on the balance, a draw was a fair result.

Thought we started off really well and could have scored 1 or 2, but typically we didn’t take our chances, we started lose our way and got sucker punched by a lucky goal.

Great to see Greenwood score again, he is starting to find his way in this team now and also thought Fred was great too.

SER19

We need to accept that we have a great system that will serve us well and is good to watch for certain games.

But until we strengthen 2 areas we will be woefully inconsistent as some players that feature heavily are either not good enough or consistent enough. You can't afford to have 2-3 passengers some weeks. (lingard, martial) a new ten and striker followed by a top partner for maguire and we should improve hugely.

Until then, hope for a fluke cup win and the odd occasional enjoyable win like last week

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Cool story Premier League. Apperantly, you can slap players in the face as long as you look at the ball while doing it. Damn, i really do learn something new everyday.

The game? It's getting better against these kinds of opposition. We created enough to comfortably win this game, but lack of quality in the end-product cost us that win. AWB our best player, by a mile. I do not look forward to our games this christmas. Lots of "low-level" teams, so expect few points.

MDFC Manager

madness. What did he honestly expect Mata to contribute in a game where the oppo are very physical.

he’d have been better putting Williams on at least for a bit of pace and perhaps an overlap
Williams would have made far far more sense

MrSingh2002

Lingard, Shaw and Lindelof are clear weak links too often.

Pogba, a new Left Back and Tuanzebe need to come in asap if we are to have anything other than a poor season.

Williams and Young aren't a big enough upgrade but Shaw and Lingard need to be put out of their misery. All they do is hide on the pitch.

A proper left back is well worth signing who can allow us to sell Shaw, retire Young and give Williams someone good to learn from.

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire LB
McTominay Fred
James Pogba Rashford
Martial​

Romero
Lindelof
Williams
Pereira
Lingard
Greenwood

I believe Pogba is head and shoulders above Pereira, Lingard and Mata as a number 10 and the biggest priority is signing a new left back. Look at the difference AWB has made defensively down his side. We need the same on the left which completes our foundation to build from.

If we invest 10 games in Tuanzebe he will already prove himself to be better than Lindelof. Ole needs the bollocks to bring in a left back instead of repeatedly handing chances to a player in Shaw who has never been up to the task.

CR1

Haven’t posted since before the game against Spurs since, as an OLE IN:er, I didn’t want to gloat. Some thoughts from this game against Everton though:

– The team is young and inexperienced, let’s not forget. This was expected after three absolutely massive results against Spurs, City and AZ Alkmaar that any manager in the world would be proud of.

– We dominated the first 30 minutes as well as most of the second half. We lacked that little bit of cutting edge in the penalty area which a player like Haaland could give us.

– Everton’s goal was a clear foul on DDG and a total fluke anyway. They’re also not a bad side and have a new-manager-bounce at the moment, let’s remember.

– We should not buy Sancho or any other winger right now IMO. We have Rashford for the left, Greenwood for the right and James for both positions.

– Instead we need a CF that attacks crosses, a world class CAM (not if Pogba stays, obviously) and a 6 that plays through balls from deep as well as offers cover/rotation for our midfield.

– We also need some tactical and technical tweaks to break down teams that sit back, but I think this will come with time.

OLE IN

Giggsyking

He can't do the shooting and crossing for them.
We scored and had 15 minutes playtime to score a second goal, yet we created nothing, because he decided to take off a wing/attacking player and put back another midfielder. He will be sacked sooner or later, no matter how long we stick with him, he will always produce the same football, a bad version of Mourinho's bad football.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Rashford was greedy and made idiotic decision making. Martial was useless.

One of them should have been subbed off at least - to at least bring an effective player on to make an impact or to at least make a statement that if they don’t perform they will get dropped.
I agree about the sub option but have you seen the bench?

MDFC Manager

We scored and had 15 minutes playtime to score a second goal, yet we created nothing, because he decided to take off a wing/attacking player and put back another midfielder. He will be sacked sooner or later, no matter how long we stick with him, he will always produce the same football, a bad version of Mourinho's bad football.
I'll sound like a broken record now but taking off James for Mata was a hilariously poor decision.

Irrational.

It's so frustrating watching teams like Liverpool play, scoring against the run of play whilst their opponents squander chance after chance; whilst it's completely the opposite for us. Pathetically laughable.

Run_time_error

So frustrating. Could have scored in the opening few seconds then the first half became a familiar sight. Us not being able to break down a team set up to defend while looking likely to concede at every set piece. VAR could have saved Lidelof's blushes but exactly what was he doing facing his own goal at the back post while two of theirs get a free run at De Gea? It's nonsense defending. We seemed to pick it up a bit in the second half but too many players being too greedy when a pass or cross was the better option. AWB immense again, Shaw getting back, Fred showing great energy. Unusually poor performance by McT, maybe he's tiring and could do with a rest, not that we can afford to give him one. Lingard not really good enough and Martial, James and Rashford just playing in patches. We still haven't figured out a way through these defences. Great strike by Greenwood, he's got the knack.

Djemba-Djemba

Today really highlighted our lack of quality in the final third.

We got into countless great positions on the edge of their area but over and over again the final shot, pass or cross would be poor and the chance would be gone. Everyone bar Greenwood was guilty of it.

Even Mata, who was only on 5 minutes managed to balls up a great opportunity by playing a shit pass in the wrong direction.

Our decision making was awful.

SteveW

Mata came on for the last 5 because James was shattered. Can't say I was upset because James's was easily our most wasteful player.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Had enough chances to win this but it's typical of us to help big Dunc along with a friendly point. Will be a while before they get another result against anyone. Great goal from Greenwood, just a pity no one passed to him after that! Corner kicks, whether defending or attacking, we are horrific and somehow worse since Maguire arrived.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Haven’t posted since before the game against Spurs since, as an OLE IN:er, I didn’t want to gloat. Some thoughts from this game against Everton though:

– The team is young and inexperienced, let’s not forget. This was expected after three absolutely massive results against Spurs, City and AZ Alkmaar that any manager in the world would be proud of.

– We dominated the first 30 minutes as well as most of the second half. We lacked that little bit of cutting edge in the penalty area which a player like Haaland could give us.

– Everton’s goal was a clear foul on DDG and a total fluke anyway. They’re also not a bad side and have a new-manager-bounce at the moment, let’s remember.

– We should not buy Sancho or any other winger right now IMO. We have Rashford for the left, Greenwood for the right and James for both positions.

– Instead we need a CF that attacks crosses, a world class CAM (not if Pogba stays, obviously) and a 6 that plays through balls from deep as well as offers cover/rotation for our midfield.

– We also need some tactical and technical tweaks to break down teams that sit back, but I think this will come with time.

OLE IN
Jesus. We’ve had a year and we still don’t see anything to suggest we can break things down. And I cannot believe anyone reallly thinks we don’t need to strengthen our wing options considering how inconsistent Rashford and James are and with subs like Mata. Greenwood should be playing as striker anyway.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 44% of 269 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 275 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw