PL D FA Premier League

Everton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 March 2020

Superunknown

Likely struggling with the injury from during the week.
If that turns out to be the case, then fair enough. Just seemed like a really weird moment to make that change. He even walked past the corner kick taker on his way off. It seemed surreal.

The Irish Connection

Disappointing once again. But in the context of the match, an ok result. We needed the win though with city and Tottenham coming. Maguire man of the match.
Why are Everton so aggressive against us?!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That makes that DDG mistake abit more bitter.
We were good first half, pathetic second half.
Matic probably our best player today.
DDG mistake was bad, but it didn't cost us the match. Martial and Greenwood not doing anything did.

Matic, Fred, and Maguire had great game, all three of them.

vanderpants

The worlds laziest and most overrated award goes too........... Yeap you guessed it Martial. We might as well play with 10 men

theklr

Easy to see how much McT sub had to say for the game. He is probably not 100% matchfit yet, got abit less involved before that.

Think James could have done a difference for us here though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The positives are a point away from home and a much much improved defensive display versus set pieces and crosses, credit to Maguire in particular for that.

Elsewhere poor on the ball; Bruno the only one looking like he had the quality but even he overhit it a couple of times and no control from us in midfield. Also an absolute pisspoor mistake from De Gea, giving him that massive deal has proven to be an error from us, as I'd happily part company and get Henderson installed as number one.

Once again when we're given a sniff of top four we find a way to waste it, so frustrating and predictable.

Edy2

People seem generally happy with that. I'm fuming. There was no urgency. We were so sloppy in possession and we created next to nothing in the second half. I'm not seeing what's acceptable about that cowardly performance when there's so much to gain from a win.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Nominee for this month's inept performance by a ref award?

- Shaw gets booked for being fouled hard and then trambled on by that thug Tom Davies

- Fred gets a handball call against him in a very dangerous area late in the game when the ball hits his fking knee and then gets carded

- Mata gets clattered off the ball in a promising counter attack late in the game, no foul

- Doesn't book Calvert-Lewin when he dives to get Shaw sent off

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good recovery from 1-0 down after a De Gea disaster. I'd have taken a point before the game.

Kappa123

"The defence is fine, look how good Maguire was"

And the 3 other clowns? I swear people here become fans of one player and get blinded to what's actually going on. Our defence is a nightmare despite over 100m spent :lol:

cyberman

Chelsea allows us to drop points in big games. Its ridiculous. No doubt theyll drop points v Everton and give us another free shot at catching up v City
They still have to play City and are Liverpools last home game in their first title win in 30 years. Good luck with that

Irwin99

Actually a good point all things considered and with this being one of our trickiest remaining fixtures. First half we dominated and the second half they got to grips with the diamond and started to overpower us a bit. Fair result.

Maguire and Bruno were outstanding, Lindelof did very well too. Forwards movement was ok but they didn't contribute much else. AWB not great at times. After Coleman went off I thought both Everton's full backs looked vulnerable and it's shame we didn't test them more.

I'll say it a gazliion times, if we'd bought a cheap back up striker in the summer and Bruno (or a player of similar quality for the same money) we'd easily have this champions league spot. Fecking stupid planning from the board.

Zlatattack

Poor result. Today had to be a win. Well never succeed until we get that killer instinct back. Its just another 2 points, but if we had them we'd be a point off of Chelsea. It's put pressure on them, 1 mistake and we're in. Unfortunately we flopped.

Josep Dowling

One of the worse refereeing performances I can remember. So many soft yellows given to our players.

As for us we were terrible second half. Probably as a result of the Europa League mid-week. Greenwood was poor and that chance where he was clean through should have been taken. But he’s young and probably playing a lot more football than was expected.

Martial was poor again. Constantly drifting wide leaving us with no one in the box. I would love to get a decent striker in this summer but no idea who we could buy.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I put that down to Everton raising their game in the second half more than our lot performing badly.

You have to admit, that Everton side in second-half looked as good as anyone we've played this season bar Liverpool.

I can see them challenging for top-four next season.
That’s a concern for me though. It’s as though we don’t have a plan for stemming the tide when it goes against us. I was pretty happy after the first half, but feck me we were bereft of anything in the second half. It was all a bit cowardly in the second period.

Gstyle

Rubbish 2nd half, possibly too tired after Thursday, It's ok though only got citeh next week :(

Coops73

Good first half, shite second. Matic my MOTM, Shaw and Maguire played well too, I feel like we lost a bit of momentum When Mctominay was taken off because we pretty mush had control of the midfield till then but not a disastrous result against Everton.

some cnutish games coming up though, a win would of been ideal but I really think we could get a result against shitty....:nervous:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
DDG mistake was bad, but it didn't cost us the match. Martial and Greenwood not doing anything did.

Matic, Fred, and Maguire had great game, all three of them.
In theory it did cost us, we would have had a 1-0 advantage if he didn't feck up.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I put that down to Everton raising their game in the second half more than our lot performing badly.

You have to admit, that Everton side in second-half looked as good as anyone we've played this season bar Liverpool.

I can see them challenging for top-four next season.
Everton actually have been building the team with CL ambitions for quite some time now. They made big purchases and hired a guy who boasts all time record of 3 CL wins. Paisley and Zidane are good company.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Everton also greatly benefited from having Andre Gomes in the middle rather than Schneiderlin.

Devil may care

I'm pissed off and that's a good feeling to have back, it wasn't that long ago that getting a point in a tough game like that would have been a sigh of relief, now it feels like 2 points dropped as I felt we created the better chances, so frustrating with the Toxic One's team losing as we could have put some distance between us and them and really got on Chelsea's neck.

simplyared

Maguire was superb today. Majestic's the word! Thought we put in a good performance. Let's be fair getting a draw at Goodison is about the most we can expect from this bunch pf players. Bring Rashford and Pogba back into the side then we're challenging for 2nd place never mind 4th.

Irwin99

Disappointing once again. But in the context of the match, an ok result. We needed the win though with city and Tottenham coming. Maguire man of the match.
Why are Everton so aggressive against us?!
They were obviously getting pissed with the treatment of Richarlison and I thought it was quite good to see a bit of aggression from both sides.

Denis' cuff

Really need a partner for Maguire, although that wasn’t a problem area today. Bissaka/Williams should rotate depending on oppo. Bissaka passing awful.
A few weeks ago the attack looked very potent but toothless today.

DevilRed

Chelsea allows us to drop points in big games. Its ridiculous. No doubt theyll drop points v Everton and give us another free shot at catching up v City
They still have to play City and are Liverpools last home game in their first title win in 30 years. Good luck with that
Im hoping 5th place will do it :)

That or a Europa League trophy!

Schmeichel=God

It's a good point as long as Everton bring that performance to their matches against those around us. As then we can expect further opportunity to make up ground.

As it is...I don't hold out much faith in them to not just revert to rolling over.

hobbers

Anyone happy or 'satisfied' with that second half performance needs their head wobbling.

That was an even more insipid performance than the 4-0 defeat. No joke.

Game midweek? Give fecking over. A cakewalk at OT against 10 men for 80 minutes. That is not draining the energy levels of anyone.

Ludens the Red

Nah, that is shite. You were better in the first half and dominated the midfield as I expected and the ref was giving silly yellows to you for no reason which was unfair but we were much better in the 2nd half. Maguire was excellent in organising your defence and showed signs of the leadership he was expected to bring but you were really poor going forward in the latter stages aside from Fernandes who is going to be brilliant for you.

I'd wager most of you would be livid if the goal at the end got disallowed for you. There is no way that De Gea would have time to react if Gylfi wasn't there. He didn't need to adjust because of him and he could see over him so there was no obstruction to De Gea. He followed the path of the ball from when DCL hit it and from when it deflected from Maguire. It was just one of those goals that was very lucky and left a keeper with no chance to react. With or without Gylfi being there. Obviously I will be a bit biased but it was a poor choice to disallow it.

The ref didn't have great control on the game either and I'm interested to hear what Carlo said to him. Don't like to abuse them but good on Carlo for sticking up for a poor decision.
It’s not disallowed because “de gea wouldn’t have got there” . That isn’t the rule, in fact I don’t see what relevance it has at all.
He’s sat in front of him directly on the ground, about 1 foot away and there’s a question whether or not he’s in his eye line? As in What? unless David De Gea’s eyesight works differently to normal people’s there is no way Sigurdsson was not in his view. Degea could not have judged the path of the ball without seeing Sigurdsson because the ball was on the ground along with Sigurdsson. Dunno why I’m surprised though, judging by the Everton fans at the game today, all the fake injustice with the booing of the ref at half time and full time, genuinely laughable. Can’t even tackle an Everton player clean without the weirdos at Goodison shouting for free kicks.

EwanI Ted

The problem was greenwood and marital today for me. Even when we dominated they were hardly in the game and it meant that when that domination eventually faded we had nothing to show for it beyond Bruno’s goal. Everton played pretty well, it’s too much to expect us to boss them for the entire game, we have to make the most of it when we’re on top. Still, at least we got plenty of practice defending corners...

LJJT

We where good first half in total control and looked really solid. 2nd half was poor we needed to change system 2nd half. Don’t like 5 at back but think that would have worked better. Bruno is better deeper not point of diamond.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We're not terrible and Everton aren't terrible so it's a fair result.

Enough said already about mistakes and they add up and cost us but so be it.

Reminds me of 04-06 where we have periods of really playing well but then brainfarts and bad luck and we don't get the results that the team is potentially capable of.

Can only hope we add in summer and we suddenly become like we were from 06-08.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Embarrassing second half performance. In the whole match we had no more than a good half an hour. Bruno visibly a cut above the rest. A sobering wake up after some good recent results.

Jonno

How Maguire has only been rated an average of 7.2 is beyond me.

Is it a protest vote? He was absolutely fantastic in defence. Won every header, marshalled the defence for a tough 30-40 minutes.

9/10 for me, near perfect performance.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 48% of 295 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 309 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win