PL W FA Premier League

Everton 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 November 2020

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A very good win but I still think we should sack Ole now. I knew we’d win with Ole’s job under pressure. He always does it. It was a great performance too.

I think our inconsistency though is the reason we need a change. We’ll probably go on to lose vs WBA next.

It would show great character of the board if we got in Poch now regardless of this win. Would show that they make decisions from an assessment rather than react on a game by game basis.
If you think that sacking Ole and appointing Poch is a show of character....

MrSingh2002

Shaw and Rashford being out means Telles, VdB and Cavani can come in for champs league and a league game.

No drama.

Shiva87

Good result and performance. Significant drop off in the second half but the tiredness would explain that.

Hopefully some of our players take a break from international commitments, and get some rest.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Two touch maximum for Fred and Scott in midfield works wonders. Whoever put a gun to their head to do that this game deserves a lot of credit. To be good at 2 touches in midfield you have to master your body’s shape and first touch. Fred and Scott been taking a lot of notes from VDB.

The quicker they sort their body out, the quicker they found Marcus, tony and Bruno in the holes. The quicker you got to have a chance to attack them while they were somewhat unsettled in defensive shape.

Simple, effective attacking football.

I can’t wait till we get a strong attacking right back. He’s such a bottleneck going forward. He dribbles a football like an athletic basketball player trying to play football

The Irish Connection

Happy with the win. All we want is consistency. Fred and Mctominay have to be tried as regulars together now. That right wing is still weak. Would be great if the lad Diallo Traore could come in and make a real impact.
Fernandes motm but the two above and maguire did well too.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I would like to see Bassaka and Shaw (with another) as a back 3 with Telles and a good crosser as wingback. Happy to see Pogba go. Bring in a DM and forget the winger dream.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
A very good win but I still think we should sack Ole now. I knew we’d win with Ole’s job under pressure. He always does it. It was a great performance too.

I think our inconsistency though is the reason we need a change. We’ll probably go on to lose vs WBA next.

It would show great character of the board if we got in Poch now regardless of this win. Would show that they make decisions from an assessment rather than react on a game by game basis.
Aside from the fact of how ill-fitted Pochettino would be for United, what has Poch ever done to glorify him this much? Did he win anything that the world is unaware of? Did we not learn anything from hiring Jose (who was million miles more accomplished)?

No but he has the credentials to be given a shot.
Please tell us more about what are those credentials…

Robertd0803

Our inconsistency is insane.

Anyway all postives here, delighted with the win, wasnt able to watch live and followed the game on the Sky Sports app instead of obsessivley checking twitter every few minutes like normal. Worked out a lot better for my sanity.

Nice to see the sunshine that always seems to be a problem for us at Anfield/Goodison affect the other team.

Thought the 3 goals were fantastic and really well worked.

Stig

I'm glad that Bruno made it through that match; I kept thinking that he was going to get a second yellow and we just couldn't afford that to happen. Ole should have seen it as well and subbed him. Better lose him for 30 minutes than 3 games - but we and he got through.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Aside from the fact of how ill-fitted Pochettino would be for United, what has Poch ever done to glorify him this much? Did he win anything that the world is unaware of? Did we not learn anything from hiring Jose (who was million miles more accomplished)?

Please tell us more about what are those credentials…
Well getting Tottenham to a CL final is pretty damn good.
And remember. The only credentials Ole had was that he used to play for United.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The only credentials Ole had was that he used to play for United.
Yes and no. Lets not forget there were a number of options available to us if we simply wanted an ex player to come in and hold the fort. Neville, Giggs, Keane, Bruce to name a few. All have managerial experience.

I think its more likely that Ole had reached our radar as an option, for whatever reason, and ticked many of the boxes in the interviews. Anybody who thinks we'd hand out even an interim manager position without a lot of due diligence is fooling themselves. If they were looking for an ex-player exclusively, its probably because they felt that the inside knowledge that person would bring was what we needed at that time.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Decent result but does nothing to paper over the fundamental problems we have as a team. Martial’s anonymity in this game is concerning but not surprising given his inconsistency. Shaw and Bruno are proper United players. Never thought I’d say that for the former.

Reactions: golden_blunder

manunited1919

Great performance all around. Martial needs to put those chances away, he’s still not on form,

RedBedlam

Credit where credit is due, good win. Haven't seen a lot of Evertons' games but they didn't give DCL much support. Missing Richarlison? When first goal went in, thought here we go again, it was a soft goal. De Gea won't like getting beat at near post, maybe wee bit unsighted but shot wasn't that powerful.

Fernandes took game by scruff of neck and hope Rashford is not too serious injury. Maybe give Cavani a start as he gets back to full fitness, Martial a bit peripheral. Not biggest fan of Fred but energetic display and broke up play well.

Happy days, a win and 3 goals, now to get through Internationals and hopefully just Biden(winner) our time for more victories.

Foxbatt

It is Martial and Rashford. Rashford for some odd reason does not want to pass but put his head down and run and Martial seems out of sorts today. I think that Bruno not being on form for some time up to this match and Rashford on on his game also played a part. Normally Martial is a player who can score.

Don't know how Ole does it, pulls off a great win when on the brink of losing his job. Didn't get to watch the game but sounds like we were the better side from Sky and BBC. Big performance from Bruno and Shaw, glad to see Cavani get off the mark.
Surely these two statements contradict? :nervous:

You’re right though mate. Both were excellent especially Bruno. Same as Fred.

arthurka

Didn't like this game one bit but the results were very good. Shaw and Bruno were good the rest was ok. Not much you say Ole lives to see another game.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just saw the match after a day of avoiding the score as I couldn't tune in earlier. Thought that was the most committed performance I've seen under Ole I can remember. Plenty of misplaced passes, but the intensity was there every single moment, which makes all the difference when you've got quality in the team. If only this was the general level of commitment shown in every match.

Phenomenal that Maguire didn't get a pen after being kicked and kneed in the box.

Oldham

Good performance. Deserved win.
To be fair Everton were not very good.
But so important 3 points, my god if we'd lost ...

czemuch

Just saw the match after a day of avoiding the score as I couldn't tune in earlier. Thought that was the most committed performance I've seen under Ole I can remember. Plenty of misplaced passes, but the intensity was there every single moment, which makes all the difference when you've got quality in the team. If only this was the general level of commitment shown in every match.

Phenomenal that Maguire didn't get a pen after being kicked and kneed in the box.
even Maguire himself admitted that it would be a soft pen, he pushed their goalie

redmanx

Good result that, especially since we always seem to struggle vs Everton. the Cavani goal was the icing on the cake, Martial and Rashford I thought were poor though. At least we go to the international break off of a win, if they want Poch though this result shouldn’t change their plans.
I really cant see this desire for some supporters for Pochettino.....hes done and won NOTHING!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I really cant see this desire for some supporters for Pochettino.....hes done and won NOTHING!
He's won nothing but he impressed a lot of people with what he did at Spurs. He'd have a lot more talent to work with and is far more proven in top level management than our current manager. It's absolutely reasonable and expected for people to think he would be an upgrade. I think it's obvious why many would consider him. Apparently Fergie rates him highly also.

Lentwood

Good today. That’s the best back balanced four and midfield three. Would like to see maybe Cavani and Greenwood bought into the attack to put a bit of a rocket up Martial and Rashford though.

Also, I thought even though we didn’t play sparkling football today we created enough chances to be optimistic. We’re actually fine when we’re patient, it’s when we try to force it. Too many aimless crosses and shots from distance usually but seemed less of that today. First two goals are good examples even though they eventually came from crosses, the build up and movement was good and we managed to get a few players into scoring positions.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
No but he has the credentials to be given a shot.
Well getting Tottenham to a CL final is pretty damn good.
And remember. The only credentials Ole had was that he used to play for United.
We are talking about Poch, not Ole. Many great coaches had little credentials before getting appointed to their home club. Including Pep at Barca. That happens all the time, and is not really the point.

The question is - why would we want Poch? He spent 5 years at Spurs, never won anything worthwhile, just to get himself fired and replaced by the manager that we fired.

Bondi77

Entertaining game and one of the things it has told me is that Pogba is a bench player at the moment as he simply does not get in front of Scott or Fred on his performances so far this season.
We are so up and down at the moment and it would be great if we could just get some sort of consistent good form.
If Luke has done his hamstring then it looks like Telles will get his chance to impress after the international break so looking forward to that.

boxykronikle

As many of the previous matches, Ole left it late for subs. Mata was clearly off the pace and so did Rashford. Martial was an another case. He left it very late to sub in Cavani and Pogba. And what VDB has to do to get some game time?

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
Ole proves again that he is not the problem. Get the right players in and everything will be fine.

Cantonagotmehere

Decent result but does nothing to paper over the fundamental problems we have as a team. Martial’s anonymity in this game is concerning but not surprising given his inconsistency. Shaw and Bruno are proper United players. Never thought I’d say that for the former.
Shaw as a proper United player shows how far we have fallen. He was great today and so so awful in other games. No consistency and lack of effort at times. Irwin and Neville would cry if this is our new great back.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 77% of 351 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 330 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw