LC W League Cup Quarter-Final

Everton 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 December 2020

RedDevilRoshi

Deserved win, especially after our 1st half dominance when we should have been out of sight in the first half hour.

2nd half, our performance levels seemed to drop and we became really slop at times. Then a moment of magic by Cavani won the game and Martial then made sure of it.

Absolutely over the moon just now!!!! :drool:

ash_86

Our bottom line seems to be improving even after making so many changes which is good news. Solid win today and another Semifinal.

fergosaurus

Good performance first half and at the end of the second. Just noticed the semi final is a one-off game which is great. Hopefully we get Brentford.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Good match. Felt sorry for Van De Beek. He seemed out of sorts. Maybe low on confidence.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good performance, my only criticism is that we should've settled it earlier in the match.

SirAnderson

I actually enjoyed seeing us toil away and make sure we didn't get despondent from our missed chance and kept at it. We need to learn its not knife through butter or slugfest, but just being patient and knowing you will get more opportunities to make it right.

Will Singh

We need to start putting away our chances as we create a lot of chances. Don't care what anyone says but if we are gonna rotate then rotate Bruno too, yes he wants to play every game but why not have him on the bench like Rashford and Martial?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Cavani, what a man.

Axel and Bailly were good. VDB whilst busy, still thought he didn't really do enough. He will get better though.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I think 0-2 is a fair scoreline, although we should have won that comfortably.

AndyMUFC

Great win, Cavani showing he's a difference maker again. Very strong first half and a sloppy second but deserved the win.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rested a few and although we left the actual goals until late on, we've comfortably outplayed the team fourth in the league away from home.

We're going very well right now. Need to continue this momentum at the weekend.

KW2006

Surprised we made 9 changes and still put out a professional performance.

TheRedHearted

Deserved win. A shame our momentum is halted but you could see at the start some of our lads were absolutely shattered from a patch of tough games. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt our league form.
Yeah I’m wondering why this game had so many of our starters, the league is surely way more important. With a month between now and Europa we should be resting more players. Imo the only two competitions that should matter.
That being said it’s good for the lads to keep winning mentally. Proud of them and Antony with a goal and an assist, more than happy for him.

Art

Art the artist
Uff.For the first time in a long time, I’m looking forward to united games again. Credit to Ole and the squad.

Hester_manc

Matic, Cavani, Maguire, Bailly and Martial. These 5 were all fantastic and our best players today, as I see it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Pleased for Martial. Thought we were gonna lose the game on pks and he'd get blamed for the miskick when he was put through by Bruno but his movement freed him up to receive a pass and then to lay off the assist for Cavani. Plus he finally finished a clear cut chance. I think this is the first time he's faced a persistent period of adversity in his time with us purely through a lack of form and nothing to do with not being favoured by the manager and so far he's reacted decently.

Rashford needs to work on finishing clear cut chances. Not the first time he's done that, smashed a shot when a bit of placement would've done the job.

RedIan

very good for 30 minutes in first half and really should have taken advantage.. lost our way a little, 2nd half i thought we played far too slow and were sloppy we were lucky Everton were poor And i was screaming for some subs.
Great goal from Cavani, 2nd goal bit of icing on the cake catching Everton as they chased a goal late on.

MUM

Cavani's goal was pure class.
We should of had goals in the first half, but I cannot complain after that goal. 9 changes since Leeds and they all did well. Great stuff.

VivaRonaldo85

To put it into context, we made 9 changes from the league game at the weekend and have gone to a solid top 6 to 8 PL side and battered them. Things are looking up!

croadyman

Very good performance and well deserved victory. Most players played well, though for me Cavani gets the plaudits for his goal, was worried he’d get the red for one moment though.
Yeah think he would have been in trouble had VAR been in place,obviously that was a bit of angst between two rival South American countries.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah I’m wondering why this game had so many of our starters, the league is surely way more important. With a month between now and Europa we should be resting more players. Imo the only two competitions that should matter.
That being said it’s good for the lads to keep winning mentally. Proud of them and Antony with a goal and an assist, more than happy for him.
We're Man Utd, we want to win every competition we enter. I want us to win the league cup, and it's clear Ole does too.

wolvored

If we had have had our shooting boots on we could have hit 6 again. Controlled the match completely. Bet we get City in Semi

siw2007

Yeah think he would have been in trouble had VAR been in place,obviously that was a bit of angst between two rival South American countries.
Yeah got lucky there. Maybe decision going our way is a good omen for us in this competition

drmuji

Having fans made me realise that sometimes crowd just tries to create storm in the tea cup. I mean, Everton had pretty much nothing throughout the game, yet the sounds of the crowd constantly kept me on edge as if we were hanging by the thread
Fecking toffees

Robertd0803

Get in. City again in the semis (or Spurs for another media wankfest), no way we are getting Brentford.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Top win. So glad Ole realized it was an important game. Any trophy is important and you should always go for it if you find yourself in the quarter final.

A lot here wanted him to basically throw the game with a terrible lineup, which wouldn’t have been good for momentum or for our prospects for this season.

Well managed and we continue to have 4 pops at a trophy. No teams to fear either. City and Spurs both look very average.

Well done Ole

retired_muppet

Dominant. Not once did we look in danger, and loved killing them off at the end. Cavani's strike :drool:

What's our away record now?
Unbeaten in 20 domestic away games.
Last away lost in domestic competition was to Liverpool last season.

According to beIN sport commentator today.

LDUred

Was that the slowest goal we have ever scored on the counter attack??

Great to see Edinson and Anthony on the scoresheet with confidence-breeding finishes.

Despite being held to 0-0, we looked comfortably the better side and this keeps the momentum going. It would have been easy to get sloppy in this game what with the change of faces and competition.

Okey

Beautiful performance. Nice and easy win. Well done lads. We're looking good hey...

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 244 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Everton 1:3 Man Utd