LC W League Cup Quarter-Final

Everton 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 December 2020

Hughie77

Solid win and deserved, and what a shock City in semis . What was the point in pulling the balls out. At least it's a one match at home ..

Kyonn

Good win.

But I need a win on boxing day to really celebrate. That way I know this win didn't cost anything in the league.

Anyone else want to see a Bailly Tuanzebe CB partnership any some point. Maguire and Lindelof need a break.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Cavani looking like an inspired acquisition, great win for us.

Falcow

9 changes and we could still put out a team that strong. Good sign!
Exactly.

Most here seem to be of the view that we have a poor strong and I recall at the start of the season there were posters on here claiming spurs had a better squad....bizarre.

Anyway, good win. Sloppy in second half but Cavani with a bit of class. Another away win, some key players rested. Goal and assist for Tony, all good.

tjb

another key feature, we need to keep that pressing format we used in the first 30 minutes. The spread 442. Everton weren't sloppy, our front lines pressing and Matic holding managed to cover so much ground. Imagine Fred or Mctominay behind that? Pogba played well on the ball, he and Fernandes were again dynamic. Greenwood's interplay is also impressive, he's struggled to get himself into proper shooting positions this season, but when he and ole figure that out, he'll become a monster. Cavani was as good as Cavani is supposed to be. both he and martial have 4 goals at this point of the season, even if they combine for as low as 12 in this campaign, we would have gotten 24 goals from our centre forward position, which is class. I expect an additional 10 to 15 from Greenwood, with Rashford and Fernandes carrying the major offensive load with 15 plus each.

Okey

I'd love to see the scheduling. Should favour us in terms of the gamea before and after the semi final. Citeh already ran scared from us once at OT this season. No need to fear them next time round. It's the FA Cup game after so we can go full whack at it. Dreams of Wembley...

tjb

Matic, Cavani, Maguire, Bailly and Martial. These 5 were all fantastic and our best players today, as I see it.
I
People need to leave Maguire alone and allow him flourish here. He's the most dependable, consistent player ( well Bruno) we have in the team and consistently gives his all. I wish our fans would back him a lot more. Aside from Van Dijk, he's better than any other defender in the top 6 teams

A-man

I’m happy with a win but disappointed with how we played. There were so many poor passes and it was slow and no creativity. Pogba and Bailly were the two positives for me.

Withnail

Surprised we made 9 changes and still put out a professional performance.
That's the best part about it.

Things really seem to be coming together now. If we can make that many changes and put on performances like that consistently we'll really be going places.

Roll on Leicester

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I’m happy with a win but disappointed with how we played. There were so many poor passes and it was slow and no creativity. Pogba and Bailly were the two positives for me.
Dear me. But the match. Everton v United. Great game. For long sections of it Utd dominated. Movement was fast, creative and gelled great. Hellish to defend. Glimpses of how awesome this team could be - loved the first quarter. Everton had a few chances - another night it would have been 4 for United, they created some great chances.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The first 25 minutes were the best 25 mins I've seen as this team play in almost a decade. Looked like a team. No need to dribble. Get the ball, pass, get the ball, pass, intercept, 2 touches, pass.

Withnail

From the post match interview: Ancelotti is pleased with his team. The plan was to defend. That should tell you a bit about what the other managers think of OGS' Manchester United.
Yeah, he basically said they had no expectations of beating us. It was keep it tight and try to nick something at set pieces.

Enfant terrible

what a team and what an attitude. I cant praise EB enough. He is not for every game, but if ole finds a way to utilize him smartly, he is a game changer. Also, we kicked hard. Was nice to see this kind of a hearty performance. Great game, tough but we defended every chance they had and kept pushing until we broke them down.

A-man

Dear me. But the match. Everton v United. Great game. For long sections of it Utd dominated. Movement was fast, creative and gelled great. Hellish to defend. Glimpses of how awesome this team could be - loved the first quarter. Everton had a few chances - another night it would have been 4 for United, they created some great chances.
First 20 was good except we lacked that final concentration. The rest was not so good imo.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Bruno should have been rested. I’m hoping Ole’s choice to play him doesn’t come back to haunt us. Great performance all round otherwise.

city-puma

Cannot watch the game in US. Can anyone tell me our keys players are not injured, especially McGuire, Bruno, Rashford and Martial, please?

united for life

Good win.

But I need a win on boxing day to really celebrate. That way I know this win didn't cost anything in the league.

Anyone else want to see a Bailly Tuanzebe CB partnership any some point. Maguire and Lindelof need a break.
Hope this wont affect us on boxing day. Ole rotated well this game.

great match! Martial, please watch cavani and learn

ReddBalls

Yeah, he basically said they had no expectations of beating us. It was keep it tight and try to nick something at set pieces.
It's a recurring theme when listening to opposing managers. Ole's standing among his peers is rising. Guardiola playing two defensive mids against United is also a testament of this.

United58

Agree. Problem is that he plays in the position where it shows when you do wrong thing. Misstakes cost to much. He should play simple as he did today. Pass and move. Don't make U-turns with the ball.
I agree with you; I wish he was a player who was naturally more comfortable upfield cause he's a real high risk/high reward player - that kind of thing can cause serious problems in a deeper midfield role. If he's going to play that role, he needs to be as he was in the 2018 World Cup, where he showcased his ability to do it at the top level (albeit next to the most destructive midfielder in the world at the time)

U.N.C.L.E

Good run of away wins. Players rested. Depth in several positions. A ground out win against a tough opponent and the formation put out against us showed what other managers are beginning to think about our side.

Can we get solid coverage for Bruno?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Excellent first half hour but should have taken our chances. After that we were lucky that Everton couldn't pass a broken bike on a 6 lane motorway as they had a few opportunities to get in and royally screwed them all up, particularly Iwobi.

On balance though we were clearly the better team, more chances, more possession, class goal from Cavani, and great to see Martial break his duck. Hopefully he can kick on from here because he was fecking useless again for most of his time on the pitch, but that happens to all forwards at some point, it's all about how they bounce back.

I reckon Spurs will win this cup but there's 3 great teams still left in it so would be lovely to get our hands on it.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 244 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Everton 1:3 Man Utd