LC W League Cup Quarter-Final

Everton 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 December 2020

Tarrou

considering it was largely a second string side that was a really good performance

the squad is starting to look pretty strong isn't it?

roseguy64

Good win.

But I need a win on boxing day to really celebrate. That way I know this win didn't cost anything in the league.

Anyone else want to see a Bailly Tuanzebe CB partnership any some point. Maguire and Lindelof need a break.
FA Cup match next month most likely.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Can't believe what i saw the first 25 minutes. That has to be the best ive seen United for at least since SAF retired. Probably even longer. That was pure world class football on display.

Wonder how far this team can go if our lowest level(which is way to bad still) can get better while we keep working on being more consistent in our top level performances.

Wicked_Badger

Great result, and really solid performance. Everton didn’t get a sniff (when was the last time we could say that in any game?) and we looked threatening in spells. They’re a decent top 6 side this year, under a v good coach.

Decent little bit of momentum we’re getting now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
considering it was largely a second string side that was a really good performance

the squad is starting to look pretty strong isn't it?
Nine changes from the XI that annihilated a team that caused Liverpool and City all sorts of problems and we dominate one of the best teams in the league this season. Who are on a good run of form and played their strongest team. That is seriously encouraging. We’ve finally got a squad where we can play with a bench full of quality every week. So refreshing.

Grande

I’m happy with a win but disappointed with how we played. There were so many poor passes and it was slow and no creativity. Pogba and Bailly were the two positives for me.
Wait ... we switch 9 players and go away to Ancelotti’s Everton who switch 2 players, and create bucketloads of situations the first 30 mins and the last ten (including et). That’s 40 % of the match hypercreative with any reasonable expectations, and 60 % were we just kept a clean sheet. Do you only count the middle part of matches, or is your definition of ‘no’ creativity very far removed from ‘zero %’ creativity?

Come on. Some people are criticising the team tonight! Utilising the squad. Well done OGS.

It’s always dangerous making so many changes, but we played extremely well against pretty much the best team Everton could put out (bar the keeper, potentially). I’m not sure what would make people happy if 0-2 against Everton doesn’t.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I thought it was rather sloppy, a lot of misplaced passes, etc. Took 88 minutes for first goal in the match I watched.
You are either a troll - or new to this lark. Best of luck getting promoted

Number32

Everton was parking the bus a la Jose, can't complaint about the goaless in the first half. At least, now we know our opponents fear us.

My only concern is Bruno's over playing time, Ole should trust Van de Beek more to plays a key role in midfield.

A-man

Wait ... we switch 9 players and go away to Ancelotti’s Everton who switch 2 players, and create bucketloads of situations the first 30 mins and the last ten (including et). That’s 40 % of the match hypercreative with any reasonable expectations, and 60 % were we just kept a clean sheet. Do you only count the middle part of matches, or is your definition of ‘no’ creativity very far removed from ‘zero %’ creativity?
There’s a reason we didn’t score a single goal for 88 minutes against a poor Everton, and that reason was not Robin Olsen. I don’t understand how this can be so sensitive. I thought it was sloppy and poor creativity. If you thought we just had great match and our players performed at their maximum, it’s obviously fine by me, I just believe they can do better.

Needham

Don't know if this is going anywhere but it's a glorious run of form.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Dominant, as many have already said, is the best description of our performance tonight. Credit to Everton, they defended very well.

You can sense a change in the team's mentality, and also in the way other teams play against us now.

Bailly deserves man of the match, Martial who came in late, got an assist and a goal is a close second for me. Almost everyone did well. Our first goal seems to be the first in ages that wasn't scored or assisted by Bruno or Rashford.

Good to be enjoying matches again.
After breaking negative records over the last years this feels like a breath of fresh air.

Tincanalley

Pogba and Bruno clicking, maybe. Tell Raiola to F off, Paul, and stay and become a part of this

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
2nd gear cruise control with one step on the gas towards the end won this game.

This is exactly what we've been missing for the past 5 years. Whenever we made 9 changes to our team in the past few years we looked like a Championship side.

We made 9 changes tonight and still looked like a top 4 team. Our '2nd' team beat a team that is in top form recently beating Arsenal, Chelsea, and Leicester.

Well done Ole. Ole continues to have this squad tick like a clock

Tincanalley

I suppose the weakness is our utter reliance on Bruno. But anyway great night’s entertainment. If we can get past Pep’s Parked Bus the silverware is within touching distance

Achilles McCool

Missed that bit, when did it happen?
What happened?
1st half. Matić and Bruno were arguing and Matić walked up to Bruno and shoved him in the chest. I’d add a video, but nothing on YouTube shows a decent picture of the incident.
I’m hoping it’s just two spirited, competitive individuals in the heat of the moment, and was forgotten soon afterwards, but I’m still searching for an explanation

Edit: see @Gary_Walsh_Nou_Camp_Hell vid above.

roseguy64

1st half. Matić and Bruno were arguing and Matić walked up to Bruno and shoved him in the chest. I’d add a video, but nothing on YouTube shows a decent picture of the incident.
I’m hoping it’s just two spirited, competitive individuals in the heat of the moment, and was forgotten soon afterwards, but I’m still searching for an explanation

Edit: see @Gary_Walsh_Nou_Camp_Hell vid above.
Doubt you'll ever get an explanation. With how Bruno is, those arguments probably happen every match. Just this time Matic pushed him. Meh.

MetoTTT

2nd gear cruise control with one step on the gas towards the end won this game.

This is exactly what we've been missing for the past 5 years. Whenever we made 9 changes to our team in the past few years we looked like a Championship side.

We made 9 changes tonight and still looked like a top 4 team. Our '2nd' team beat a team that is in top form recently beating Arsenal, Chelsea, and Leicester.

Well done Ole. Ole continues to have this squad tick like a clock
True we looked like a top 4 team tonight.
You're maybe right(Ole)...since the PSG and Leipzig games. That wasn't longtime ago.

adamwest

Don't know if this is going anywhere but it's a glorious run of form.
We’ll be swiftly reminded of how frustrating this team can be at the weekend :)

Fair play to the lads though they’re putting in a good shift right now.

Grande

There’s a reason we didn’t score a single goal for 88 minutes against a poor Everton, and that reason was not Robin Olsen. I don’t understand how this can be so sensitive. I thought it was sloppy and poor creativity. If you thought we just had great match and our players performed at their maximum, it’s obviously fine by me, I just believe they can do better.
I don’t know how I’m being sensitive, just in plain disagreement that the chances created the first 30 mins or the last ten can be included in ‘no creativity’. There was a reason we didn’t score until the 88th minute, and that reason was that Cavani missed three chances in the five yard box and three other duels with The Swede, Greenwood headed ten centimetres wide, Bruno missed a few final passes he usually finds, Van de Beek hit Coleman from a good position. It was not that United created nothing, which is what you imply. I counted six dangerous United attacks the last ten minutes as well.

If you said United created almost nothing and were sloppy forward the middle 60% of the game, it would have been easy to agree with you. It’s just a bit hard to understand what you saw when you put the tag ‘no creativity’ on the entire match. It makes it seem like you came in late, went to bed early and decided you were going to disbelieve everyone who said United were impressivefor the parts you missed. It just sounds very strange, that’s all. Not offending. Just weird.

Hope you’re not offended by this.

Very good football. Only room for improvement on this performance would be to create more chances throughout the match.

Not related to this cup match. But If we get CL football as minimum and offer Pogba a new contract but on condition that he fully commits and shuts his lawyer up then it’ll be better for us as a footballing team.

PitTon

It has been long time to feel like we are playing away with such control and it was against good Everton side. Calm defending as well.

Only thing I seriously want us to do better is to kill those chances near the end, especially Rashfords one. Top player shouldn't miss that open goal opportunity.

POF

This is a really good United side. Ole deserves so much credit for what he's building.

This sort of depth will really help when the Europa League kicks in. United have a second string with enough quality to be genuinely competitive in that competition.

Players like Henderson, Tuanzebe, Telles, van de Beek, Greenwood and Cavani should be mainstays of the Europa League team.

criticalanalysis

Felt Everton gave us far too much respect. We were/are suspectible to any sort of press and of course we have counter attacking threat but they played really meekly.

I hate myself for doing it but I have more hope now in Ole (well you know until the next loss/poor performance). I have always said we have an extremely talented squad (even during the LVG days, comparative to the rest of the league) and it's looking more evident now.

That's down to Ole's man management and full credit to him for that. We're not actually suffocating teams with supreme passing/possession but we're technically, athletically and tactically motivated which means we're always a good match for anyone if we start right and the game is managed mid-game (something Ole needs to improve on and I'm not talking about just bringing on subs).

Looking forward to the next game!

MikeeMike

Felt Everton gave us far too much respect. We were/are suspectible to any sort of press and of course we have counter attacking threat but they played really meekly.

I hate myself for doing it but I have more hope now in Ole (well you know until the next loss/poor performance). I have always said we have an extremely talented squad (even during the LVG days, comparative to the rest of the league) and it's looking more evident now.

That's down to Ole's man management and full credit to him for that. We're not actually suffocating teams with supreme passing/possession but we're technically, athletically and tactically motivated which means we're always a good match for anyone if we start right and the game is managed mid-game (something Ole needs to improve on and I'm not talking about just bringing on subs).

Looking forward to the next game!
I am hoping we can top the league and then see some hunger and desire in the team.

united for life

I hope so but Bruno, Pogba and Maguire all played a full 90.
i don’t expect him to rotate 11 players. But you are right, we don’t want overworked players. I’m specifically concerned about Bruno (we need to keep him fit to continue getting the best return from him) and Maguire who has played the most minutes across all leagues. Pogba was anyway rested last game and he is anyway being rotated (though I’m impressed with his game recently).

I think till the fulham game on 20 January, it will be difficult to rotate much. We have some tough gams coming up.

Web of Bissaka

Good rotation, but again we had to play Bruno.

Woah, what's with the over the top praises here? Dominating? Not even close.

Solid defensively from us despite individuals making few big mistakes, which didn't cost us this time. Thankfully, Everton's attack is so bad, their form is not really that good. It's still way too easy past by our midfield.

Our attacks though is overall poor. Lost so many possession higher ups and a lot of misplaced passes. Everton is solid defensively until they don't care at all to defend at the closing minutes. Thankfully we have Cavani, our only threat in this game before they decided to all-out attack.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 244 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Everton 1:3 Man Utd