PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:3 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 February 2021

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
2 of the 3 goals were clearly De Gea's fault. The first one (palming it softly into Doucoure) was an appalling mistake, and he lacked bravery for the third, although Calvert Lewin shouldn't have been able to get anywhere near that. For me however, the biggest problem tonight were the wasted chances, several clear cut chances that on another day we might have buried. Our performance warranted more goals, but we were shocking at the back when it counted. Infuriating to lose 2 points with the last kick of the game, and I will never understand that substitution...we just had to see it out.
After sleeping on it, I don't blame Axel for this. It was a foul miles away from goal. It should have been defended properly. Maguire is always sleeping on the job and is too slow and DDG is a highlight reel goalkeeper, with fantastic saves, but cannot do the basics right. I have said elsewhere we need a big presence in that goal, a big personality who organises his defence and will quite happily flatten them to get to a ball.

NK86

The change in Pool once they got VVD is there for all to see. I think a similarly commanding CB who can organize the back 4, will transform our defense too.
Maguire just isn't the leader Ole hoped he would be. Just give the armband to Bruno as he is the only indispensable player in our squad who genuinely deserves to always play when fit.
What is with our club and choosing shite captains. Agree it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but a fierce captain who commands respect will go a long way.

NK86

After sleeping on it, I don't blame Axel for this. It was a foul miles away from goal. It should have been defended properly. Maguire is always sleeping on the job and is too slow and DDG is a highlight reel goalkeeper, with fantastic saves, but cannot do the basics right. I have said elsewhere we need a big presence in that goal, a big personality who organises his defence and will quite happily flatten them to get to a ball.
Maybe you should see again. Axel loses DCL as well when the ball comes into our box. Was caught ball watching after giving away the needless foul. The guy isn't good enough and would have never played for us had he not been from the academy.

DomesticTadpole

Also, I think people have this thing about blaming Lindelof for absolutely everything. It is always about getting somebody to play with Maguire, when actually Maguire might be the biggest problem.

DomesticTadpole

Maybe you should see again. Axel loses DCL as well when the ball comes into our box. Was caught ball watching after giving away the needless foul. The guy isn't good enough and would have never played for us had he not been from the academy.
Maybe, I think Axel's progression has stalled completely due to constant injuries. One day we will learn to close a game down properly. Still think DDG needs replacing. Teams will now target his weaknesses all the more and you cannot trust the defence in front of him to get him out of trouble.

BigBebe

When you compare how Newcastle (who were down to 9 men) successfully defended a 3 - 2 lead yesterday, it makes our lot look even more pathetic.

When you are coming under pressure in the final minutes with a 1 goal lead, you have to do some basic things:

- keep the ball, do not give it away with low percentage passes.
- do not give away stupid fouls
- frustrate the opposition so that they give away fouls
- close people down and block life your life depends on it.

All of this basic stuff seemed to be beneath our lot.

As I said, pathetic.

NK86

Maybe, I think Axel's progression has stalled completely due to constant injuries. One day we will learn to close a game down properly. Still think DDG needs replacing. Teams will now target his weaknesses all the more and you cannot trust the defence in front of him to get him out of trouble.
DDG has become more soft, if that was even possible. However the problem is no one in that backline knows how to organize the back 4. Someone of VVD's ilk would be massive for us. We definitely need one top top CB and a striker.
We are now creating chances but the profligacy of the likes of Rashford will keep costing us as well. Cannot believe how many 1-vs-1 he misses. Never confident he will score when he is through on goal. Someone like Konate and Haaland would transform this team. Grealish really isn't that big of a need.

NK86

When you compare how Newcastle (who were down to 9 men) successfully defended a 3 - 2 lead yesterday, it makes our lot look even more pathetic.

When you are coming under pressure in the final minutes with a 1 goal lead, you have to do some basic things:

- keep the ball, do not give it away with low percentage passes.
- do not give away stupid fouls
- frustrate the opposition so that they give away fouls
- close people down and block life your life depends on it.

All of this basic stuff seemed to be beneath our lot.

As I said, pathetic.
A lot of it has to do with coaching too. What is Ole coaching them when he can see consistently we are shitting the bed with every set piece.

Pearl's a minger

Having slept on it I'm still fuming now, totally naive to give away a foul where they would obviously throw bodies in the box. Then the inevitable happened with our circus at the back. De gea weak as piss,a coward and a shadow of his former self(Harry also gets a notable mention for stinking the place out again). That said though we also missed a hatful of chances at the other end especially rashford. I'm no fan of lindelof but I feel he's the easy option to drop. Harry has the armband so seems undroppable and de gea the same because he's been playing himself back into form for the last 2 seasons.

nickyboy1981

Yet another instance of us not seeing games out properly.

At like 92 mins, what the feck is DDG doing trying to start a counter attack with a long ball down the wing? Hold the fecker and pass it out to run the game down!

No idea how we didn't win that game.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah more annoyed this morning. Just such a shame a brilliant attacking performance was 100% let down by the defence. Most frustrating result of the season for me, it totally showed exactly where our glaring issues are.

Loved to have seen how Bruno and the rest of attack felt in the dressing room after they did their job so well.

MattyB1986

People keep blaming De Gea but the two centre-backs are fecking shit...you could have prime Buffon in goals and they would make him look shit too.

feck buying Sancho this summer, I'd rather the club invested in two CB's instead. The attack is fine for now with Greenwood playing well on the right again
For real!! you can't ship in 30 goals at this stage of the season and expect to win the league. We're top scorers so the balance suggests money needs to be spent at the back.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This team is still in the process of repeatedly showing that it doesn’t have the ability to step up and win anything.

But being the bridesmaid is still better than where we were. The objective at the moment is to finish second. That’s a bigger goal than what we had at the start of the season.

The Original

Yeah more annoyed this morning. Just such a shame a brilliant attacking performance was 100% let down by the defence. Most frustrating result of the season for me, it totally showed exactly where our glaring issues are.

Loved to have seen how Bruno and the rest of attack felt in the dressing room after they did their job so well.
Given how often the defense has held it together while each of them (attackers) has had stinkers, they better not have had anything to say.

Judas

Open to offers
Given how often the defense has held it together while each of them (attackers) has had stinkers, they better not have had anything to say.
There's not exactly been many great defensive displays this season, just look at the stats. What happened last night so easily could have happened in many games just this calendar year.

Godfather

Same. Still fuming. We have some proper bottlers at the back

Dearg hÉireann

Also, I think people have this thing about blaming Lindelof for absolutely everything. It is always about getting somebody to play with Maguire, when actually Maguire might be the biggest problem.
I couldn't agree more, while Lindelof isn't at the required standard that I'd like to see starting for us. Maguire is overrated by some due to the fact that he's English and expensive when in reality he's a complete liability.

We are, potentially, a very good team being let down by schoolboy errors on a consistent basis and a lot of that is due to our cowardly GK, Slow cumbersome CBs and a right fullback who is positionally very poor.
Shaw aside, I'd like to see them all replaced.

Obviously I'm still fuming from last night and I know that what I just said won't ever happen but it's what needs to happen for us to win big trophies again, we keep conceding silly goals and its not like those mentioned are young guys starting out.

The Original

There's not exactly been many great defensive displays this season, just look at the stats. What happened last night so easily could have happened in many games just this calendar year.
Yes, the defense hasn't set the world alight but it has been competent enough, and they don't get enough credit. Much of that unbeaten run has been because of tight draws where the attack simply wasn't there. Attackers also get much more leeway to make mistakes so I am more sympathetic to defenders who tend to get slaughtered for even basic errors.

Slysi17

Lost control of the game when Paul Pogba went off injured and Ole subbed on Fred instead of Van De Beek. One of the reasons we blew the 2 goal lead

hubbuh

We've conceded the same amount of goals as Brighton this season! And only one less than Fulham!! And we've scored the most in the fecking league! I hope the attackers absolutely leathered them. The collective defensive bed shitting has cost us yet again.

OLLY ORANGE

Hard to take and don't feel any easier this am. To score three goals against an Everton side that didnt play well and come away with a point is criminal.
Had numerous other opportunities to score more but wasteful decisions by players who have got them selves into dangerous positions again and again is frustrating.
To concede three goals in any game and you are more likely to drop points than take all the spoils.
Obviously the defence has got to be addressed this summer.
Firstly i would relinquish Maguire of the captaincy.
Your captain has got to be virtually undroppable and he clearly i'snt.
The centre back issue is not right with Lindelof and Harry if the club want to challenge for the title.
Degea isn't going to change he has always hated the physicality of english football and he has cost us numerous times over the years because of his lack of bravery. Is there a better gettable option out there? Romero would have got ue the three points today but obviously his time is up (still a good catch for someone). Henderson was a good addition and his time will come but not with that back four in front of him. Would most probably do more damage than its worth atm.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil2019

Still feel's like I've been trolled hard on FIFA.

:( DDG certainly earned his £££ this week. :rolleyes:

FireballXL5

Just woke up and I'm still seething. Just can't get my head around how badly we managed those last few minutes. Amateur level stuff.

Dearg hÉireann

Solskaer also needs to take responsibility for that last night, absolutely no need to bring Axel on, it was a ridiculous decision, not least because he's played so little and apart from the PSG game He's been atrocious almost anytime he's involved. Ole should definitely shoulder some blame for these constant
F-ups.
That was like a massive defeat last night, such wonderful attacking play, undone in a few desperate minutes.

Christ I'm angry

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Our full backs defend narrow to cover for our CB lack of pace, this gives plenty of space for opposition to play the ball into. Harry should be attacking every high ball in our box and let other players cover any resulting knock downs.
Correct.

I cannot believe, after one-and-a-half seasons now that this isn’t the case. Maguire is one of the most aerially-dominant players in Europe yet every game we have him contesting knockdowns against quicker and more agile attackers whilst our minute full-backs and midfielders ‘contest’ the first header.

You couldn’t actually make it up.

OmarUnited4ever

This result actually frustrated me more than the Sheffield one, that game we didn't play well the whole game, but this one, we had an excellent first half.

I think the reason we dropped points (feels like a loss!!) is because we conceded 2 early goals in the 2nd half,, in Doucore's goals, Davis walked through our midfield almost unchallenged!! and passed it to DCL, the second goal, Lindelolf tipped the ball away from Maguire who was about to head it clear, and Doucore was allowed time and space to pass!!! silly silly defending again, i rather our defenders press the attackers and tackle them and risk fouls, we are not playing against many skillful players in the EPL ffs.

if we made it to the 70th minute with 2 nil up, we could have controlled the game much more (bring 2 subs like Martial & Matic for Cavani & Greenwood for example) and force them to come out and we could've hit them on the counter with Rashford & Martial pace and damage them further....

Aaaarrrrgghhh

hubbuh

Lost control of the game when Paul Pogba went off injured and Ole subbed on Fred instead of Van De Beek. One of the reasons we blew the 2 goal lead
It was 1 nil when Fred came on, so that's not one of the reasons why we blew the 2 goal lead. Jaysus, the game only happened a few hours ago! It's a completely ridiculous thing to say that we lost control of the game because Fred was on the pitch instead of Van de Beek ffs. What on earth has Van de Beek shown that he would have controlled that game in a 2 man midfield?

hubbuh

Correct.

I cannot believe, after one-and-a-half seasons now that this isn’t the case. Maguire is one of the most aerially-dominant players in Europe yet every game we have him contesting knockdowns against quicker and more agile attackers whilst our minute full-backs and midfielders contest the first header.

You couldn’t actually make it up.
It's completely mad. We've conceded buckets of goals from setpieces this season yet nothing appears to have changed in terms of our defensive structure and setup. What on earth are they working on in training? Maddening.

lysglimt

Scout
We are one quality central defender away from really being title contenders. Basically we are where Liverpool were without VVD -

RopersReturn

How Maguire was signed and finds himself captain is beyond me. Give the armband to Fernandez, Cavani, Rashford... hell give it to Luke Shaw. Maybe they should have invested in a proper CB, rather than the Dutch midfield paperweight they have warming the bench.

Slysi17

It was 1 nil when Fred came on, so that's not one of the reasons why we blew the 2 goal lead. Jaysus, the game only happened a few hours ago! It's a completely ridiculous thing to say that we lost control of the game because Fred was on the pitch instead of Van de Beek ffs. What on earth has Van de Beek shown that he would have controlled that game in a 2 man midfield?
Van De Beek hasn't been given a fecking chance. Starts or is given minutes then is back on the bench. You can't expect Van De Beek to perform if he is just randomly chucked into the team. Plus the 2nd goal was an individual goal from Fernandes. Don't have a go at me for feck sake. We lost control in midfield because Fred is a DEFENSIVE midfielder whose passing is off. I don't appreciate your tone as I am just giving my opinion and your having a go at me. Your tone in the post is silly.

The Original

We've conceded the same amount of goals as Brighton this season! And only one less than Fulham!! And we've scored the most in the fecking league! I hope the attackers absolutely leathered them. The collective defensive bed shitting has cost us yet again.
Our goal tally can be exaggerated in this context since we scored 9 just the other day...that's not a reflection of how the season has gone, and ironically, the defence in Shaw and AWB were massive contributors in goals and assists in that game.

Even against Everton, Rashford had an easy chance that he's missed, Greenwood had chances, and Cavani did too. We should have scored at least one more, as much as we should have conceded one less.

And what about the games such as against Sheffield where we were undone by refereeing errors and the failure of the attack? Arguably, we should have won at Anfield too...there have been bad performances all-round, and no one can take the moral high ground. Besides, it is still a team sport!

tayside red

Was I dreaming or having a nightmare last night, did that really happen.
Everton are so poor, it's unbelievable they got a point, how could any team concede 3 goals to that lot.
The performance of our CB's & DDG must be a cause for concern (again) for the coaching staff when they analyse what went wrong, shocking game management.
You just knew the game had another twist.
We are pure $hit at set pieces, very rarely win the first ball and as for DDG.
David just doesn't command like he should, he looks like a big girls blouse. He's not the keeper he was.
Never mind, what will today bring...
Citeeh to win, keeps Liverpool further back from us.
A draw, both drop points, City on gain a point on us.
Liverpool win, which keeps our slim chance of finishing top a possibility.

hubbuh

Van De Beek hasn't been given a fecking chance. Starts or is given minutes then is back on the bench. You can't expect Van De Beek to perform if he is just randomly chucked into the team. Plus the 2nd goal was an individual goal from Fernandes. Don't have a go at me for feck sake. We lost control in midfield because Fred is a DEFENSIVE midfielder whose passing is off. I don't appreciate your tone as I am just giving my opinion and your having a go at me. Your tone in the post is silly.
Complains about my tone, proceeds to talk like an arsehole. Righto!

I'm sorry but Fred was the obvious and correct sub. It's as simple as that. We didn't lose that game because of Fred, we lost it because the defence and goalkeeper shat themselves. Give it another watch as you seem confused.

Can7onA

We knew since his first game that De Gea hasn't got any balls, it was only last week he was being crowded out at a corner again.

Give Henderson a run.

Slysi17

Complains about my tone, proceeds to talk like an arsehole. Righto!

I'm sorry but Fred was the obvious and correct sub. It's as simple as that. We didn't lose that game because of Fred, we lost it because the defence and goalkeeper shat themselves. Give it another watch as you seem confused.
That's not fecking on. You basically called me an arsehole. You should be banned for that. Also read my post properly. I said one of the reasons. Another reason is our defense is actritous and Lindelof and Maguire shouldn't play together. Eric Bailey should be starting over either Lindelof or Maguire.

hubbuh

Our goal tally can be exaggerated in this context since we scored 9 just the other day...that's not a reflection of how the season has gone, and ironically, the defence in Shaw and AWB were massive contributors in goals and assists in that game.

Even against Everton, Rashford had an easy chance that he's missed, Greenwood had chances, and Cavani did too. We should have scored at least one more, as much as we should have conceded one less.

And what about the games such as against Sheffield where we were undone by refereeing errors and the failure of the attack? Arguably, we should have won at Anfield too...there have been bad performances all-round, and no one can take the moral high ground. Besides, it is still a team sport!
So take away the 9 goals (which is ridiculous) and we're still the second-highest scorers in the league. You shouldn't need to score 4 goals at home to win a game! Last night falls squarely on the defence. I don't understand why you're trying to reappropriate blame? We controlled the game for the most part but the defence let us down and cost us. It really is as simple as that.

We lost to Sheffield U because of the failure of the attack? Errr.. what? We were toothless going forward at times, but do you not remember their second goal? It was the second-worst piece of defending in the history of Manchester United, after the absolute mindfeck of a goal we conceded against Istanbul in the CL.

Yes, it's a team game but our defence is costing the rest of the team. It needs reworking.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 321 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Everton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Everton