PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:3 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 February 2021

hubbuh

That's not fecking on. You basically called me an arsehole. You should be banned for that. Also read my post properly. I said one of the reasons. Another reason is our defense is actritous and Lindelof and Maguire shouldn't play together. Eric Bailey should be starting over either Lindelof or Maguire.
Jesus Christ relax man. I agree that the partnership of Lindelof and Maguire won't ever work, and that Bailly should be starting when he can. He's injured though.

Slysi17

Jesus Christ relax man. I agree that the partnership of Lindelof and Maguire won't ever work, and that Bailly should be starting when he can. He's injured though.
Next time when you post don't swear back and call people an arsehole. It just was over the top. Respect goes both ways. If you just said I disagree and the reason in a polite way then that would of been fine. Of course I can be wrong sometimes and don't mind at all if you disagreed. I agree that the Fred sub wasn't the sole reason and defense was just as culpable

norm87cro

We deserved to win but then again we were lucky to beat Wolves the way we did. That's football for you

Last edited:

hubbuh

Next time when you post don't swear back and call people an arsehole. It just was over the top. Respect goes both ways. If you just said I disagree and the reason in a polite way then that would of been fine. Of course I can be wrong sometimes and don't mind at all if you disagreed. I agree that the Fred sub wasn't the sole reason and defense was just as culpable
Don't swear back? If you read back through our short interaction I think you'll see you flew off the handle unnecessarily. I can't even see why you got so irate looking at my first post to you, to be honest. Ho-hum.

The Original

So take away the 9 goals (which is ridiculous) and we're still the second-highest scorers in the league. You shouldn't need to score 4 goals at home to win a game! Last night falls squarely on the defence. I don't understand why you're trying to reappropriate blame? We controlled the game for the most part but the defence let us down and cost us. It really is as simple as that.

We lost to Sheffield U because of the failure of the attack? Errr.. what? We were toothless going forward at times, but do you not remember their second goal? It was the second-worst piece of defending in the history of Manchester United, after the absolute mindfeck of a goal we conceded against Istanbul in the CL.

Yes, it's a team game but our defence is costing the rest of the team. It needs reworking.
I never did. I said the attackers don't get to take the moral high ground because they have also had stinkers in other games, and also had failures in this one.

Slysi17

Don't swear back? If you read back through our short interaction I think you'll see you flew off the handle unnecessarily. I can't even see why you got so irate looking at my first post to you, to be honest. Ho-hum.
So ffs stands for something else then. I replied back then you called me an arsehole. Last time I checked ffs is an abbreviated swear word. Am I wrong? For christ sake I just made a post saying bringing on Fred affected the game then got blasted for it.

Josep Dowling

I’m just gutted that yet again a last second goal has caused us to drop points. We have done this so many times over the last 3 seasons. If City win today that has to be the end of any title race.

8 points dropped in the last 4 games. It’s simply not good enough. The team has progressed under Ole but that weak under belly still remains. He needs to sort that out otherwise we aren’t going win anything under his management.

vanrooney

very bad draw as we were clearly better. seems the tital chase is over, its citys to loose

hubbuh

So ffs stands for something else then. I replied back then you called me an arsehole. Last time I checked ffs is an abbreviated swear word. Am I wrong? For christ sake I just made a post saying bringing on Fred affected the game then got blasted for it.
You didn't get 'blasted'! That was not a blasting by anyone's metric!! I think you're being a bit thin-skinned and touchy but I'm happy to shake hands and makeup.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
It was nice to see our take on the current trend in football (high line and FB pushing up) and it provided some insight into some weaknesses.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It was nice to see our take on the current trend in football (high line and FB pushing up) and it provided some insight into some weaknesses.
I think this is a good take. If you want the team to evolve its style, we have to accept there will be growing pains along the way.

Lentwood

The way that we threw away this game was incredibly niave.

We had multiple chances to kick the ball into the corners and see out the clock. That's before you even get into the debacle that was their goal. I've noticed in recent weeks that we are very poor at running the clock down and now it has come back to bite us.

Only Utd could drop points in a game where your GK has a free-kick halfway into your own half with the allotted added time played. How we went from that to conceding is criminal.

vanrooney

Feck me I must have watched the wrong game.
really? we dominated 80 mins and should have scored some more (shaw, rashford alone for example). the 3 everton goals were all gifts, the free kick in the 94 min shouldnt be given away. everton had 3 shots on target

Fluctuation0161

That's not fecking on. You basically called me an arsehole. You should be banned for that. Also read my post properly. I said one of the reasons. Another reason is our defense is actritous and Lindelof and Maguire shouldn't play together. Eric Bailey should be starting over either Lindelof or Maguire.
Put your handbags away lads. :lol:

I thought it was a fair point that VDB is not some magical answer to a midfield problem. Fred wasn't great but, for me, the problem was defence and GK. Looking back, Maguire played worse than Lindelof, De Gea was poor and maybe if we actually had a RW, we would have scored more goals or retained the ball better.

red4ever 79

really? we dominated 80 mins and should have scored some more (shaw, rashford alone for example). the 3 everton goals were all gifts, the free kick in the 94 min shouldnt be given away. everton had 3 shots on target
80 mins. Could have sworn Everton were on top for the first 25 mins for example. Plus they were all over us for the first 10/15 mins of the second half. Each to their own.

Coops73

Can’t believe how that finished. We played some really good stuff in parts, Cavani and Bruno in particular were excellent, if only Rashford could find some kind of form, he should have buried a couple today and but for De Gea completely bottling it against Calvert Lewin at the end it would of been a deserved win.

Ive been sceptical that we were ever really good enough to win the league, we have to hope Wolves can get a good result against Leicester (which I doubt) and Liverpool and City drawing, then next week with Leicester vs Liverpool and City vs Spurs, points will hopefully be dropped in our favour....providing we beat West Brom.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can’t believe how that finished. We played some really good stuff in parts, Cavani and Bruno in particular were excellent, if only Rashford could find some kind of form, he should have buried a couple today and but for De Gea completely bottling it against Calvert Lewin at the end it would of been a deserved win.

Ive been sceptical that we were ever really good enough to win the league, we have to hope Wolves can get a good result against Leicester (which I doubt) and Liverpool and City drawing, then next week with Leicester vs Liverpool and City vs Spurs, points will hopefully be dropped in our favour....providing we beat West Brom.
Think the only points being dropped next week will be for us to get Top 4,

captain666

Scandalous waste of all our good attacking play.
If an old boy like Cavani can transform our strike play then surely Ramos can do similar for our defense?

MikeeMike

Watched the replay and clearly the 3 defensive gaffs cost us 2 points but we missed 4 clear cut chances. Should have be over at HT.

Also on their 3rd goal Shaw is totally fouled by keane . He has his arm across Maguires shoulder and blocks his attempt at the ball. Maguire clearly protest this with referee but not even reviewed. Clear as day foul.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think we deserved to win because frankly, it doesn't matter how well you play, if you're that weak and present the opposition with 3 golden chances to score, you deserve to concede 3 goals.

Also worth noting the best chance of the whole game that wasn't converted also fell to DCL (flag went off but VAR may well have found him onside after the fact)

Maticmaker

Everton do have that habit of catching us with the 'sucker-punch' especially at OT and they did it again.

I think Dean Henderson needs a decent run in goal now. David's been a great servant and won us many games, almost on his own, but his recent spate of mistakes has cost us dear and he needs to be stepped down by Ole and Henderson given a run.
If poor play, that directly leads to a loss of points doesn't warrant a step-down, then squad players are rightly going to feel they are maybe wasting their time (some are, but that's another matter!).

Ole needs to 'stand-up' on this one and I don't just mean putting in Henderson for the Cup games, he needs a proper run. 'Playing for your place/the shirt 'etc. is an old football maxim but its true and when managers deviate (unless because of injuries) then they send out the wrong message, to players and fans alike.

Apart from signing Bruno, Cavani could turn out to be the best investment the clubs made in a player in a long time.

dogwithabone

Feck me I must have watched the wrong game.
Yeah, god knows what you were watching. We were superb in the first half - aggressive, quick and our movement was exceptional. A rocky 10 or 15 minutes around the time of their goals and we were very good again. Only one team in it.

Jaae

Not ITK
I was annoyed after the whistle yesterday. I was fine this morning. And now I've just seen that City are playing Liverpool today...

FFS! Why must we suffer this bunch of bottlers. That was a must win.

Tony247

I really don't mind a tough match and then end up 3-3, whoever is the opponent. But this match we dominated all the time, comfortably too. Conceding 3 goals in 5 minutes of madness is absolutely devastating.

Hope the team's moral is up because such games can have detrimental effect on players. If they lose the belief then we are doomed.

lex talionis

For all the talking points the one that stands above all is the shocking defending at the death of the match. Central defenders have to give it everything. And De Gea had to come out quicker to close the man down.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Somewhat surprising verdict. One of the most dominating performances I have seen in a long time. Apart from like two five minute streches United were in complete control, Everton created practically nothing outside the goals. In the first half there was a period if about fifteen minutes when the ball was literally never in our third, it was crazy. As far away from deserving something from a match as it gets imo. We just gifted it.
Aside from the goals we defended pretty well I think. We set up to play in a way where you had the ball and we soaked the pressure and countered. In the first half we weren't executing that at all aside from the DCL chance which he should have scored. Digne also hit the post in the 2nd half. You had far more of the ball and attacking chances but we had our own too. In the 10-15 minute blitz where we scored 2 we should have went for the jugular but we stuck to our game plan again and it invited you back into the game and that was a mistake. We should have went for another goal and then sat back after that.

I personally don't believe you can dominate a game whilst being so poor defensively, that's also part of football. As I said you were the better team and should have won but we didn't collapse like Southampton, we kept grinding.

Crimson King

Aside from the goals we defended pretty well I think. We set up to play in a way where you had the ball and we soaked the pressure and countered. In the first half we weren't executing that at all aside from the DCL chance which he should have scored. Digne also hit the post in the 2nd half. You had far more of the ball and attacking chances but we had our own too. In the 10-15 minute blitz where we scored 2 we should have went for the jugular but we stuck to our game plan again and it invited you back into the game and that was a mistake. We should have went for another goal and then sat back after that.

I personally don't believe you can dominate a game whilst being so poor defensively, that's also part of football. As I said you were the better team and should have won but we didn't collapse like Southampton, we kept grinding.
I know you're obviously just happy with the result but this is a real stretch. Everton have invested a lot of money and are pushing for top 4, at least that's where they want to be, and they were incredibly poor last night. If they had actually performed the draw wouldn't have felt so gutting for Utd fans, and maybe we'd be happy with a point from a strong team, especially after our poor home form this season.

The 'blitz' never really occurred, and there was no jugular to go for because they were only ever going to score another if Utd gifted it to them. I think they actually tried to but the passing was so poor they just ended up ceding possession to Utd again and again. Thankfully Utd chose that moment to wake up and start playing again.

Also, you're being pretty generous including that Digne shot as evidence of some kind of bite in Everton's play last night. If anything he should have crossed it. DDG basically let it hit the post as he knew it wasn't on target.

Everton can count themselves very lucky, really didn't think they showed much at all but came away with 3 goals and a point. I guess it's all about perspective though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know you're obviously just happy with the result but this is a real stretch. Everton have invested a lot of money and are pushing for top 4, at least that's where they want to be, and they were incredibly poor last night. If they had actually performed the draw wouldn't have felt so gutting for Utd fans, and maybe we'd be happy with a point from a strong team, especially after our poor home form this season.

The 'blitz' never really occurred, and there was no jugular to go for because they were only ever going to score another if Utd gifted it to them. I think they actually tried to but the passing was so poor they just ended up ceding possession to Utd again and again. Thankfully Utd chose that moment to wake up and start playing again.

Also, you're being pretty generous including that Digne shot as evidence of some kind of bite in Everton's play last night. If anything he should have crossed it. DDG basically let it hit the post as he knew it wasn't on target.

Everton can count themselves very lucky, really didn't think they showed much at all but came away with 3 goals and a point. I guess it's all about perspective though.
I was responding to the point that we created nothing out of the goals. We had a few chances. We definitely could have had you on the ropes after the two goals if we applied pressure because your defence was positionally shocking all evening. On the ball we were poor for 70-80% of the game. Off the ball we were decent enough.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Is this to play alongside Harry??
It wouldnt really matter - he could be alongside Bailly, Harry or Lindelof - but that one quality defender is what we need more than anything. A few months ago I thought we needed attacking weapons - but we have that - we need that one central defender. Find the best available in the game and splash £100 million on him.

AshRK

This draw is hurting more than the Sheffield loss. Still can't come to grasp that we threw away the 3 points. Conceding 3 goals in one half is inexcusable though. I hope Ole doesn't become defensive but instead addresses the key issues and work on defending. Ole is not a fool and hence he doesn't want to talk about winning titles because he knows with this defense we won't win feck all.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Im still seething.

Scandalous performance, disgusting.

Pughnichi

So many at fault. Lost as a team. Rashford should have put it bed with two great opportunities. AWB conceding possession easily leading to their free kick. Tuanzebe for conceding weak free kick in dangerous area. Maguire for playing them all on side for third. DeGea for being awful for two of their goals. Lots of other small instances where players could have done better towards the end

kitress

So many at fault. Lost as a team. Rashford should have put it bed with two great opportunities. AWB conceding possession easily leading to their free kick. Tuanzebe for conceding weak free kick in dangerous area. Maguire for playing them all on side for third. DeGea for being awful for two of their goals. Lots of other small instances where players could have done better towards the end
Jeez, sounds like the 2nd Sheffield United goal. The question is, are our players a collective idiots or do we have some amateur coaching going on here?

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 321 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Everton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Everton