PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 March 2024

NLunited

We were pretty bad on the ball, but I got no problem with how we approached the game.

Everton can defend well, but we caused them a lot of grief with our tactics. They could not cope with Garnacho and Rashford.

Bruno did brilliant in his false striker role.

This game was not half as boring as Cheaty‘s game against them.

We are playing without a striker and a lb, and our only cb we can progress the ball.

Red00012

So are we hoping Villa win tomorrow and hope top 5 is enough for CL? Can’t see us catching Villa at this stage

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Because they don't watch the games, they look up the stats after the game and decide who deserved it on the basis of possession or xG or whatever their personal flavour of the month is.
On my feed, no idea who was commentating but one said Everton's xG was 12 less than they've scored this season, the other commentator said "what is that in English?" :lol: :lol:

Reynoldo

It was a desperate watch to be fair, the sort of performance that would make you not want to watch football again.

KranjskaKlobasa

Goal.com's ratings are surprisingly spot on:
Goalkeeper & Defence
Andre Onana (7/10):
His revival continues. Made big saves from James Garner and Abdoulaye Doucoure, preventing Everton's dominance from showing.
Diogo Dalot (6/10):
His crossing was a little suspect but good defensively.
Jonny Evans (5/10):
Made a few bad decisions but got away with them.
Raphael Varane (6/10):
Made lots of valuable blocks and interceptions but his passing was poor.
Victor Lindelof (6/10):
An improvement on recent weeks, anticipating well off the ball and making plenty of clearances.

Midfield
Kobbie Mainoo (5/10):
A big contrast to his last performance against Everton. Couldn't influence the game.
Casemiro (5/10):
Too slow off the ball and not precise enough with it.
Scott McTominay (4/10):
Used the ball badly, failing to make the most simple of passes. Barely had a sniff of danger in attack.

Attack
Alejandro Garnacho (8/10):
Everton couldn't cope with his devilish play and he had them on the backfoot every time he got on the ball. Only negative note was the fact he did not score, blasting over the bar, albeit from a tough angle.
Bruno Fernandes (7/10):
Enjoyed himself in the free role, spraying passes around and launching attacks. Scored his first Premier League goal since November and was generous to offer Rashford the second spot-kick.
Marcus Rashford (5/10):
Took his penalty well but again looked lost for most of the game.

Subs & Manager
Sofyan Amrabat (6/10):
No disasters this time.
Antony (N/A):
Replaced Garnacho in the 83rd minute and struggled to do anything of note.
Willy Kambwala (N/A):
Came on for Evans in the 89th minute.
Erik ten Hag (5/10):
Picked the same team as at the Etihad and the performance was similar, the big difference being that, unlike City, Everton were incapable of exploiting United's weaknesses.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Weird I thought that apart from Garnacho being the obvious pick, Jonny Evans had a sniff at MotM
Gave the ball away too much, as did most our team, McT should be rated better than Casemiro though

Strangest Tribe

You’d swear we lost going by all these posts, get a fvcking grip people, our defence is shot to pieces and has been all season, the shots against stat is bobbins as how many were actually a legitimate goal threat ? Not saying everything is rosy but c’mon, a win, clean sheet, no (more) injuries, Mainoo and Garnacho looking more like first teamers with every game, Onana looking like he isn‘t the calamity he was during his first few games..I can see green shoots but maybe I’ve had too much wine

Wazzaduke33

Weird I thought that apart from Garnacho being the obvious pick, Jonny Evans had a sniff at MotM
This is just how depressing the current times are, I feel like I’m in a time warp when I read “Jonny Evans and MOM” in the same sentence and that it should be followed by
“Rooney and Berbatov played well too”

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
No idea if this is correct but on NBC they said that Varane and Evans are our most common CB pairing this season, presumably PL matches only

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Only positive is really Onana who is proving to be the keeper we thought he would be for us.

Fitchett

You’d swear we lost going by all these posts, get a fvcking grip people, our defence is shot to pieces and has been all season, the shots against stat is bobbins as how many were actually a legitimate goal threat ? Not saying everything is rosy but c’mon, a win, clean sheet, no (more) injuries, Mainoo and Garnacho looking more like first teamers with every game, Onana looking like he isn‘t the calamity he was during his first few games..I can see green shoots but maybe I’ve had too much wine
Well said! At last a realistic summary of the match, instead of the incessant moaning on here. I was at the match, and it was an open game, with plenty of shots on goal by both teams. The crowd certainly weren't bored or restless.

Superden

Easy game. Total control. Nothing to worry about.

Fernandes, McTominay and Garnacho were good and back four did a good job.
I wouldn't say total control when we kept giving them the ball in our half and if they had even one half decent forward they could've made those situations count. We were no better or worse than most of our other games this season, which is why we've lost so many and have a Gd of nothing.

Superden

Some of the 'positive' comments make it sound like we were playing away at real Madrid. We were at home against one of the worst teams in the league who haven't won a league game for 3 months.

Andy_Cole

There’s just no change in style or anything. it’s horrible stuff even when we win. Regardless of results Hag needs to go.

Matt851

Everton are really poor. Some of us just recognise that this kind of terrible performance will eventually result in losses

We may not have conceded many good chances today but that was largely due to Everton ineptitude, in previous games we have conceded far more chances. It's easy to blame the defence but the majority of chances seems to stem from our team being unable to retain posession

I can't quite understand what green shoots were visible today but each to their own I guess

Zed 101

It was ok but the context is Everton are really bad, Garnacho was pretty much the difference

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Casemiro is like someone's out of shape uncle trying to play football with the kids. Sad watch. This team cannot control games against anyone. It's just not possible with the players we have. Slow, slow, slow. Mainoo is the only one capable of keeping the ball. Bruno, Casemiro, McT, Rashford and the whole defence are absolutely atrocious at it. We've built a team that' knows one thing - sitting back and hoofing it forward. A rich man's Stoke.

The Irish Connection

Just got to watch the match.
Piss poor in possession. Casemiro the worst culprit given his role in the team and experience. Midfield will need two or three players incoming.
Evans and Onana probably our best two. Garnacho at least affects the game.
Fair play to Onana of late but needs to keep this level up.

saivet

Didn't watch the game but just seen the highlights on MOTD. Looked like we were pretty mediocre and despite allowing Everton to have a lot of efforts they didn't really get that close and didn't seem to get into many threatening positions either. That doesn't make it a positive but the bar is on the floor, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

NoPace

The game was fine, only we looked like scoring really, but at the same time if I was an Everton fan I'd be thinking we were having an actual RB, not diving in to make penalties and a decent Dwight McNeil performance away from winning, and most teams have those 3 things (a real RB, CBs who don't dive in unnecessarily which normally Everton's guys are, and someone other than Dwight McNeil as their primary creative option).

So, job done, but no real positive signs other than Ten Hag figured out we should just play Rashford as a wide forward with 4 CMs and no #9 when Hojlund is out, though there's probably a reason nobody really plays that way (even Firmino was more of a #9 than we played today), and Lindelof did well enough at LB for the first time in a while.

In terms of developments, I'd say that Mainoo struggled to get on the ball (happening more and more lately, at his age it's normal but we really do need a DM and a #8 this summer so Mainoo can get like 20-30 starts and lots of sub appearances rather than playing a Bruno number of minutes next year), our Onana had a good game which is nice to see, their Onana had a good but not oustanding audition, Brathwaite much less so though the raw potential is obviously there.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'll deny I ever said this but that's a little harsh on McTominay, who made 3-4 decent passes for once.
Yeah but the simple passes he misses, and he missed a few that could have resulted in good chances, stood out like a sore thumb. His limitations reflect where we are as a football team.

NoPace

Yeah but the simple passes he misses, and he missed a few that could have resulted in good chances, stood out like a sore thumb. His limitations reflect where we are as a football team.
If he passed like this and we played Everton every week he'd be a solid squad player, instead of someone who should be sold to a side in exactly 12th place, regardless of who that is.

BelfastRed2021

The moaning is getting tedious its all about fecking winning matches with our makeshift defence and lack of any STRIKERS if the performances are crap when we have our best 11 out then fair enough but we got the job done today enough of the fecking moaning.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 67% of 205 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 188 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw