PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 March 2024

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
3 points and clean sheet looks great on paper. But to allow relegation team to have 23 shots and 50% possession at OT is a thing to be very worried about.
We created only one or two clean chances in whole game. Blimey....

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
So unbelievably spoiled these guys. Well, that's just the way it is with modern football fans, isn't it :lol:
3pts is the only thing that matters as we reach the end of the season.

But still ‘Everton is a team we should be beating’ turns into ‘That was shite, boring, etc…’ when we do beat them. Some folk are never satisfied.

AndyMUFC

We've played like this pretty much all season so nothing is gonna change now. It works when we play a side that can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo like Everton to be fair.

TheReligion

Abusive
3 points and clean sheet looks great on paper. But to allow relegation team to have 23 shots and 50% possession at OT is a thing to be very worried about.
We created only one or two clean chances in whole game. Blimey....
They didn’t create anything clean cut.

Irrespective of these stats United deserved they win and it was more likely 3/4 than it was for Everton to get on the scoresheet.

Red & White

3 points and a clean sheet. Needed this win with the league break coming up. Let’s get some players back, try and finish the season strongly and see where we finish.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
What crap football from both teams. I'm ready for the ETH era to be over and the sooner the better.

- I think Casemiro gave the ball away every 4th pass
- We tried to let Everton back in the game. We tried pretty hard and if they scored just one you know we would be looking at a draw or loss.
- Even Mainoo is now going through the motions and playing uninspired. Another spirit being crushed.
- Please, please, someone coach Garnacho on the early cross.
- The one positive, though, is at least ETH finally learned that Rashford through the middle is dumb. It took him long enough, though.
- This would have been a great opportunity to give Amad 25 minutes and give Garnacho a rest. ETH, though, goes back to Antony because it's clear Antony will get better with more playing time.

SO BORING!

Longshanks

A win is a win, even a lucky win. It's just rinse and repeat performances and a better team than Everton would of taken us apart today. Everton probably a little unlucky to come away with nothing from that game.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People write the same every week as though they expect us to suddenly turn a corner despite lots of injuries.

We're going to middle through until the end of the season but we won't be playing better football consistently until we have new coaches or personnel.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
A win is a win, even a lucky win. It's just rinse and repeat performances and a better team than Everton would of taken us apart today. Everton probably a little unlucky to come away with nothing from that game.
How do you come to that conclusion? They gave away 3 penalties for crying out loud! (Admittedly the last one was cancelled out for offside)

December_16

Yeah I don’t have crazy expectations on the team playing champagne football week in and week out, but once in a while if we could play like a team who does passing drills and likes playing with each other, it would be nice. Never a good sign when watching your team becomes a chore. Sigh.

RuudTom83

Having a core of Casemiro, Bruno and McTom is never gonna win you the possession war.

But 3 points....move on.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Yes. Man of the match for me. Think many on the board are overrating Garnacho’s match today. Both pk’s were more about sloppy defending than brilliant play from him. I don’t believe we score in either of those situations without the foul. But then you look at his lack of tactical awareness, his poor first touch, the amount of giveaways throughout the game, and how frequently he is wasteful when getting behind the defense, I just don’t see him as the quality threat many here do. He’s quick, and he is somewhat dangerous on the counter. But like Bruno, he’s a home run ball player. He’s going to give the ball away 7 times out of 10, while playing out of control, and having no clear idea of how to attack a defense. Also like Bruno, he’s a very direct player, so he produces moments of brilliance. But in my opinion, this team will never be a contender to win the league until we have players in attacking positions that are more complete players. Garnacho is one dimensional. He is young, so perhaps he grows into it. But my point here is just that Onana had a better performance than Garnacho by a good margin today…despite the pk’s drawn.
I totally agree. Garnacho lack of awareness is so painful to watch. He is young, though, so there is hope.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How do you come to that conclusion? They gave away 3 penalties for crying out loud! (Admittedly the last one was cancelled out for offside)
Because they don't watch the games, they look up the stats after the game and decide who deserved it on the basis of possession or xG or whatever their personal flavour of the month is.

Von Mistelroum

Didn't mind the game really. The level of this current United though, is truly awful. Everton looked the better side if you discount Garnacho and his runs. Not a good situation at all.

Irwin99

First half wasn't that bad but the second half was a tough watch. Hardly any bad performances but not many great ones either.

Ludens the Red

That match was so bad it deleted football cookies from my brain.
But I’m okay with it now. Come to terms with it. Just need to get the wins. Get into Europa League minimum.

Wisqo

Even the post match thread is boring. Next season can't come soon enough.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
2-0 at half time and we completely killed the game in the second. Made it a boring 2nd half but we did the job and controlled it.

90 + 5min

Easy game. Total control. Nothing to worry about.

Fernandes, McTominay and Garnacho were good and back four did a good job.

NICanRed

2-0 at half time and we completely killed the game in the second. Made it a boring 2nd half but we did the job and controlled it.
Yes - boring. Tomorrow we get to watch two teams who can pass the ball to a team-mate and hold possession but it will likely still be boring but in a different way!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Even the post match thread is boring. Next season can't come soon enough.
Keep your expectations low. Last 10 seasons have been all disappointing. There are not many reasons why next one should be any different.

We are not going to even get Berrarda and Ashworth in time for the Summer transfer window, let alone the fact that we seem to have no money for the changes needed

Robertd0803

Watched it recorded. Then watched on 2x speed, which saved me loads of time. Might be the way to watch for the rest of the season.
Try the 3 minute highlights on Sky Sports app. Much better for the sanity.

I will say one positive thing about the early kick off Saturday- its great when you win them.

Todd

Woke up in time to watch the second half, which was anything but impressive. Meh. At least nobody got hurt.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 67% of 205 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 188 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw