EL W Europa League Quarter-Final

Manchester United 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 August 2020

Josep Dowling

Yeah back then I was watching every united game, I never understood the love for M. C. on this forum. To be honest from my experience and many, many hours of discussing football over the world I don't think many people outside the UK did.
Carrick dictates the pace of games in midfield. I’d rather trust Sir Alex Ferguson’s judgement thanks.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thought we played well, should have been 5-0 on another day. One of the best keeper displays I’ve seen in ages. Martial was unreal as usual. Not sure how people are saying the game was boring or we were poor, watching a different game.

RORY65

Yeah back then I was watching every united game, I never understood the love for M. C. on this forum. To be honest from my experience and many, many hours of discussing football over the world I don't think many people outside the UK did.
He was way better than Matic though, he had a couple of long spells where he was bad like Matic can be but unlike Matic his good spells lasted more than a couple of months.

Andre Kagawa

Copenhagen keeper is a local boy from my home town (Halmstad, Sweden). I think he's a United fan.

MalcolmTucker

Just read their keeper just broke the record for the most amount of saves in a single match.

buckooo1978

slow start but this game reminded me how enjoyable knockout football is

We are unbalanced and we lack some players like Rooney/Scholes or Carrick - players who make you tick and add attacking rhythm

we could really use more quality in reserve. Looking to change the game and you look at the bench. Mainly large downgrades in the attacking positions in particular

kirk buttercup

I actually enjoyed that . Very much a cup tie we had loads of chances and credit to Copenhagen thry didn't give up and produced some good moments themselves . I thought Pogba and Bruno were good and Martial was fantastic , Greenwood is going to be a superstar but he did fade a bit in the second half . Rashford has looked a bit off I wonder if he is fully fit . Mata did really well when he came on . Look forward to the Semi this is like a mini world cup or euros . Performance is secondary to result.

Dansk

Dull. A club of this caliber ought to be above such ordealas.

Glorio

So can we all give Ole credit for making that inspired Mata for Greenwood sub? I think most on here wouldn't have agreed with it at the time

kitress

I don't know why Copenhagen didn't attack down our left flank. They seemed to get around Williams every time, and yet they kept attacking the right flank. Mental.

tjb

Glad we didn’t play Wolves, Inter, Sevilla, or leverkusen today. I like the look of Falk. He will do well at a mid table club. Also, Martial is maturing in the number 9 role. MMM looking solid overall. Marcus need to shot more.
I won't hound him too much since I still feel he is trying to limit his dribbles due to adapting to his back injury or at the least, is trying to incorporate patience to his game and will eventually merge both games. Rashford needs to get back to his dribbling. His determination to attack and dribble is what made him special for us. It's the reason why he's a threat to the opposition. He will never be a creative playmaker. He can improve his playmaking, but as a player that simply is not his profile. Hopefully he returns to the aggressive player that he is before the season starts.

big rons sovereign

30 years old, joined them this year from Guingamp in France and just the seven caps for Sweden. One of those out-of-body experiences for him tonight, without watching him I still feel confident enough to say that was likely the best performance of his professional career.

Without him between the sticks, we win that by three or four easily.
Most attempts were straight at him or up close where it's 50/50. Even the martial shot from distance was quite central and a good height to save.
That's not to take anything away from the guy though, he's gotta make the saves.

RedMilo

Well that was more nervy than it should have been!! Why does Ole always hook Greenwood before Rashford? The lad is our most potent goal threat and Rahsford's form has been abysmal since the restart. Bruno & Williams looked spent at the end. Just hope our opponent in the semi's, also have to play extra time tomorrow to even it out - we look really tired..

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was way better than Matic though, he had a couple of long spells where he was bad like Matic can be but unlike Matic his good spells lasted more than a couple of months.
He had much better players around him though.

Carrick was very consistent, I can agree on that. But currently Matic is much better player for us than prime Carrick has been.

Nr.7

This will surely make Sancho put in a transfer request.

Bad jokes aside, I expected a game like that, though I was sure it wouldn’t go into ET and I wasn’t expecting a prime de Gea in goal for Copenhagen.

Matic made a difference. Fred is weak against a press. He improved a lot this season, but I’m not really sure he’s good enough.

Martial is class.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah i agree this game was nothing special from Matic, but watching him reminded me Carrick (always in the right position) and I've had this on my mind for quite a long time. Nevertheless, his composure on the ball and ability to find passing options is fantastic and miles better than Carrick (who in my view has always been very overrated o here).
Carrick had his faults but I don't recall him giving the ball away with underhit passes in dangerous areas with the frequency Matic does. Maybe time has been kind to my memory.

always_hoping

Worth remembering when United won the Europa league in 2017 they needed extra time to win the quarter final, hopefully history repeat itself.

Withnail

Yeah i agree this game was nothing special from Matic, but watching him reminded me Carrick (always in the right position) and I've had this on my mind for quite a long time. Nevertheless, his composure on the ball and ability to find passing options is fantastic and miles better than Carrick (who in my view has always been very overrated o here).
I mean of all the things to claim Matic is better than Carrick at and you choose passing... Feck me

ColvaleGoa

Any Spanish football experts here who can tell us what are our chances against Sevilla if they get through tomorrow?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I mean of all the things to claim Matic is better than Carrick at and you choose passing... Feck me
Madness :lol: they are very similar players but Carricks passing was brilliant, and his positioning and intercepting ability was great too.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Neueresque performance from their keeper. We were sloppy in that fecking heat though.

Amarsdd

Weird game that. I don't think we played particularly well or overplayed it a bit today and Copenhagen defended very well. But still we should have scored at 6 or 7 goals. Probably the best goalkeeping performance I've seen since De Gea against Arsenal few seasons ago.

Easy game made far harder by them having Lev Yashin between the sticks. We need to make shorter work of this kind of opposition from now on, too often we try to score the perfect goal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Carrick dictates the pace of games in midfield. I’d rather trust Sir Alex Ferguson’s judgement thanks.
Carrick never dictated the pace, he was a deep lying midfielder without much impact on attacking game. His role in midfield was very limited because as good as he was at positioning and passing, his limitations were quite obvious.

The thing is, Matic is much better at moving the ball forward.

TheReligion

Abusive
Doubt we will beat Inter if we meet them. They are better at what they do than we are what we do. Go a goal down to them and we are fecked.

Rashfords form is a bit worrying. He is being very reactive and not proactive on the pitch. He just seems to be waiting for a counter attack all the time.

Conte will be creaming himself watching this game, especially the first half. Its a blue print on how to stop us. That is if we beat Wolves or whoever in the semi.
Blue print of how to stop us by getting knocked out and losing the tie. Sounds legit.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 FC Copenhagen
  • 28% Man Utd 2:0 FC Copenhagen