Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 August 2020

Manny

Grammar Police
Forget Jadon. Sign their keeper

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Despite some close moments Romero had no saves to make.

Dan_F

Need some perspective on the game tonight.

We were poor in the first half. Williams got turned inside out a few times and Rashford was particularly off the boil, but

- two goals disallowed;
- denied a clear penalty;
- hit the woodwork 3/4 times;
- 14 shots on target;
- their keeper made at least 3 wonder saves.

On another night we’d have scored 6. We definitely made hard work of it, but fine margins between a 1-0 and us running away with it.
Sums it up pretty well.

Probably doesn’t bode well that all out best players had to play 120 minutes. Hopefully the temp drops a little bit for the next game.

CM

We should've buried them much earlier but their keeper's had the game of his life there

Crashoutcassius

not the worst team, said it in the match thread but RVP and scholes got it right before the match, end of a long season, vs a really good defensive side, in crippling heat, we were patient at in terms of the flow fo the game it paid off for us, even though we had two nervy moments. most days we win 6-0 and people say we played great.

Mr.007

Very exciting match, and also open all the way, keeping it very entertaining until the very end :)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Doubt we will beat Inter if we meet them. They are better at what they do than we are what we do. Go a goal down to them and we are fecked.

Rashfords form is a bit worrying. He is being very reactive and not proactive on the pitch. He just seems to be waiting for a counter attack all the time.

Conte will be creaming himself watching this game, especially the first half. Its a blue print on how to stop us. That is if we beat Wolves or whoever in the semi.

DevilRed

I hope this means we have finished our "warm up" in front of goal today and will bang a few more in for the next match.

Its going to be tricky no matter if its wolves or sevilla. Still have nightmares of sevilla vs us in european competition.

Rashford needs to find his form. Its been lacking since the restart. Also needs to learn how to cross a ball because I lose count of how many good positions he gets into only to not produce anything of danger.

Fred is not good enough. Sorry. He isn't.

AWB blocked everything! If only him and Brandon Williams could also learn how to cross or find a player in the box..

Martial was unplayable. Our backline was also very good. Maguire faultless and I thought it was harsh to take off Bailly who did very well.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Glad we didn’t play Wolves, Inter, Sevilla, or leverkusen today. I like the look of Falk. He will do well at a mid table club. Also, Martial is maturing in the number 9 role. MMM looking solid overall. Marcus need to shot more.

siw2007

Relief, that was a tougher match than I expected, we weren't at our best but we should have won far more convincingly if not for some unlucky moments in front of their goal and an inspired performance from their goalkeeper. Pogba and Martial had very good games today but not a lot of others to shout about. Rashford had a good start but should have come off sooner, he grew tired and ended up picking up a groin strain.

A semi final is good but we really need to up our game if we have any chance of beating Wolves or Sevilla. Sods law, we play crap, create a few chances that go in off our backsides in contrast to tonights game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Win is a win. One down, two to go.
Indeed.

People need to look at that and get on with it. It was a game we would have lost year but we're digging in and winning ugly.

We'll click better in the semi

Tiber

Thought we looked pretty good and were unlucky not to have multiple goals.

The moaning in the match thread was way over the top

Tel074

You guys are off it. You're not going to win every game 4-0. Keeper and post made it a lot closer than the scoreline suggests.

Was a good game.
I'd side with this compared to all the doom and gloom. 2 shots of the inside of the post and 4 or 5 top saves from their keeper although we should have scored most of them . That could easily have been a 4 or 5 goal game .
A win is a win so unto the semi final

K_Ash

could have easily been 4-1...on to the next one!

Anybody's Guess

While there's a lot of issues with this team, the full-back positions has to be the biggest worry and something that we should prioritize during the transfer window. Our current set of full-backs offer next to nothing going forward, which in today's game is a big problem. AWB has some redeeming qualities, but on the opposition half he is incredibly limited. Williams had a very poor game and overall is not good enough to start for a team looking to win the big competitions. Shaw is almost never fit and that is basically it.

Andi Latte

Meh, just your typical game against ultradefensive underdogs.

Ole has yet to find a reliable method to break these down, other than having 3-4 offensive players on top of their game.

Nothing new here, really.

I also find it pretty concerning that after 4 1/2 seasons in the first team, Rashfords decision making still isn't substantially better than in his breakthrough season. Combined with a lack of "form", he's pretty useless and arguably has been since the restart.

Ekeke

Great block from AWB stopped us going behind, had some luck at the back but also some bad luck up front. Their keeper did well but I feel like when our shots were towards the corners they beat him and the post saved them. Far too often our shots gave him a great chance to save them

Jibbs

What a laborious, lethargic win. If this continue we can say next game will be our last of the season.

Okey

Phew that was hard work! Won't get away with misfiring so much against a superior side in the semis. But hey, we're there! Onwards...

baskinginthesun

I guess even a couple of weeks off loses a bit of that cutting edge that players tend to have in these matches.

Either way, deserved win. Should won by more but, it was one of the games. All that matters is a win and onto the next round. Happy days!!

Banana Republic

Poor Poor Poor
A hard fought game against a tough team to break down, but that’s no excuse.
The failings are all there in plain sight.
Rashford, no excuses. If he isn’t fit, or fully recovered, he shouldn’t be in the team.
Poor and lacking in motivation, poor quality, he should have hauled off at half time.
I don’t think he’s good enough.
Fred as a sole defensive midfield player was over run and swept aside time after time.
We can’t play with one holding/ defensive mid alongside Pogba. We just don’t command the midfield and good opponents just play right through us.
Copenhagen faded, which made us look a lot better than I think we are.
With this form, i can’t see us winning this competition.

MalcolmTucker

Wasn't great and we should really have avoided extra time. Mata came on and we looked a lot better, seems to do well in these Europa games. Rashford was poor again, perfromed well vs. Crystal Palace (iirc) but other than that he's been underperforming post-lockdown. Games like this show why people saying we don't need Sancho are wrong.

Martial was absolutely quality after the first half.

Chicharo

Strange game. We could have won it 7-0.
Semi final is 7 days from now, so enough time to rest despite the fact that we had to play overtime

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We really made that hard for ourselves, however we got there in the end. We really should have beaten them in ordinary time, we had a lot of control in the second half. Its like we were doing the crossbar challenge with the way we were hitting the post. Very nervy at the end, you could see the inexperience in the side. Heart was in my mouth when Bruno went down holding his hamstring at the end. :eek:

Caesar2290

This game reminded me of one of those games we had vs Blackburn or Newcastle in the mid 2000's. We would slaughter them, but Given or Friedel would put a world class performance against us making the score respectable.

Could have scored 7 tonight without getting out of the 2nd gear. Good performance against a team who was playing like their life depended on it.

stu_1992

Feeling relieved more than anything at the end of that game. Can't say I'm too happy with the performance, however I do acknowledge we faced a goalkeeper having thr game of his life too. Top many poor performances out there was big players. Would only really credit Greenwood and Martial after that performance.

b82REZ

Substitutions were wrong IMO.

How Rashford stayed on over Mason is beyond me, and IMO Fred was playing well and helped massively with our high press and should have stayed on.

On another night it could have been 5/6 but that keeper had an absolute worldie and I hope our players were a bit rusty from the break.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
13 saves. That's a record in the competition.

Al-T

Keeper aside, they were gash. If we'd won by 4 it wouldn't have been a travesty.

Tournament football. One-off games rather than two legged ties. Win the game is what matters. We all know what needs to be improved. It won't happen before this is done.

Mental toughness matters and tonight, we toughed it out, kept a clean sheet and took the chance to win the game.

Last 4. Happy with that. Let's see where we get to.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 FC Copenhagen
  • 28% Man Utd 2:0 FC Copenhagen