CL L Champions League Group A

FC Copenhagen 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 08 November 2023

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How were both handballs penalties, yet Maguire’s in the opening minute wasn’t?

DON’T PANIC ™

Fairly much in control until the sending off, which was very soft.
Completely changed the game. Dalot has been very poor all season and was fully culpable for their 3rd goal and made no effort to close down the shot for the winner.
Positives: Our slight improvement in recent games is down to the return of AWB. Maguire has looked much more like the player we thought Utd were buying. Hojlund. Bruno as a 10.

Negatives: These var and refereeing decisions are really punishing us far more than we deserve. Dalot (as above) and Varane is done. Amrabat is no better than Sabitzer. Bruno on the right.

Superden

If we're going to be upset about poor decisions then the ones from ten hag need just as much focus. Not reorganising the team properly and not using his bench properly either.

The Irish Connection

The game was lost after the red when we absolutely crumbled to shite again. If we had composed ourselves and stayed deep and compact like the majority of the 2nd half and not conceded more than 1 goal before half time we probably would have won it.

it’s the hope that kills you and this game had a lot of that.
In fairness, we look a lot better with Wan Bissaka in the team and Hojlund and Garnacho played well too.

Obviously. We couldn’t see it out because we were under pressure away from home with a man light. There are two teams on the pitch. It’s great of we win a game with one less player, but it’s no disgrace if we don’t. That’s the idea, it makes it harder to get results with less players.
It makes it harder when the ten players you do have commit schoolboy errors and have no backbone. To lose against Copenhagen when ahead in the final few minutes isn’t acceptable. We weren’t hanging on for dear life against Bayern Munich; it was self-inflicted wounds against Copenhagen. It was totally amateurish from our players, which wasn’t the fault of the officials. They capitulated once again. No composure or game management .

youngrell

I was so pleased after the penalty and then Kane got a brace to set us up perfectly. Absolutely fuming with the defenders for those school boy errors to gift them the win.

Get In Scholesy

2013/14 - knocked out by Bayern in quarters after beating Olympiacos with a comeback
2015/16 - 3rd in group stage with Wolfsburg, PSV and CSKA Moscow
2017/18 - knocked out by Sevilla in last 16 at Old Trafford
2018/19 - knocked out by Barca easily after that comeback at PSG
2020/21 - 3rd in group stage with PSG, Leipzig and Istanbul Basaksehir
2021/22 - knocked out by Atletico at Old Trafford in last 16
2023/24 - most probably going to finish 3rd/4th in group with Bayern, Galatasaray and Kopenhagen

7 CL seasons since Fergie retired. Only progressed 4 times and then beaten pretty comfortably by Bayern, Sevilla, Barca and Atletico. Other 3 times we couldn't finish in top 2 places of our groups despite being favourites in all situations.

We've been irrelevant in Champions League since 2011 Final. More than a decade.
José?

R'hllor

All that talk about top 4 being success, how its important to be in it, how it attracts world class players (LOL), people drool about it just to be a joke, this is getting worse than Arsenal under Wenger.

OleGunnar20

In 1993 just before we played Sheff Weds at OT, some cnut sold their soul to the devil for 20 years of sustained United dominance.

That 20 years took us to 2013 and since the devil came to town to collect his soul, we’ve been fecking cursed.

What we need now is some other cnut to do the same for the next 20 year period.
Fancy taking one for the team?

stu_1992

Terrible refereeing killed us. It's never a red for Rashford. Its a accident with no malice and it's never a penalty either.

The thing I can't defend is how quickly we collapsed after that red card. You have to try to make yourself difficult to beat.

Second half was such an improvement and I was shocked at how composed we looked. It was never a penalty for us either but had to be given in light of it being so similar to the earlier one. From there we really had to see the game out, but some poor concentration and moments of madness in defense again and we threw it away. Utterly deflating game.

tjb

Our in game management is amateurish. You can say all you like about it being fecked by the ref, but plenty of teams go down to 10 men and can handle it. We just immediately crumble, we get given a lifeline and instead of playing the game out we crumble again.

It's not a one off, it happens time and time again. Something seriously wrong with the entire club that this happens, from the Management making poor decisions to the players bottling it.

The only positive I can take out of that was the first 20 minutes, we played decent stuff.
I'll be honest. When people say the entire club, I think it needs to be clear now. It's Ten Haag and the team in front of him. We can't be hiding behind senior management or the Glazers. They don't play on the pitch or manage what's on the pitch. I don't think Spurs has a better squad. I don't think Arsenal or Liverpool's players are that much better than us, yet they don't struggle on games like this the way we do. We have to be honest. In game management is something a manager should be judged on. The same way Mourinho was praised for game management is the same way Ten Haag should be criticized heavily for it this season.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Some great performances in there tonight, good signs even though we lost. Garnacho & AWB were great.
I agree. Actually enjoyed a lot of it. Lunch definitely against United. Likeable lot; stuck to their job. Great by Hojlund, too. Absurd decision to send off Rashford

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wow. You know that the players do retain some agency over their actions even after a wrongful red card? AWB back pass, Varanes part in the 4th, Dalot sleeping again…but that’s all on the officials?

I’ll go back to the source of most of this recurring farce and it’s John Murtough and his complete incompetence with recruitment
‘Wow’, you know. Imagine being in shock at a take that a team wouldn’t have made defensive mistakes, or even been in the position to make them, had there been equal players on each side. It’s easy to point at Dalot errors. They are of course errors, but if you can’t see that the likelihood of such errors increase massively when being outnumbered and under pressure away to a team away from home chasing the lead. Of course, it doesn’t always go like that 10 vs 11, but there’s obviously an increased chance. Otherwise it would be no problem at all to lose a man in a football match!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Our in game management is amateurish. You can say all you like about it being fecked by the ref, but plenty of teams go down to 10 men and can handle it. We just immediately crumble, we get given a lifeline and instead of playing the game out we crumble again.

It's not a one off, it happens time and time again. Something seriously wrong with the entire club that this happens, from the Management making poor decisions to the players bottling it.

The only positive I can take out of that was the first 20 minutes, we played decent stuff.
And plenty of teams don’t. The odds are against you, and while you might make it out, you also might not.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I thought the CL has the semi-auto offside rule in play - how was their first goal allowed to stand? They had a guy in Onana's line of sight and offside.

Ady87

After watching United for the best part of 30 years, I can’t just give up on the club and stop watching but they are having a disproportionately negative impact on my wellbeing. Liverpool office based work chat stick the boot in hard every week which doesn’t help. I can’t not care.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It makes it harder when the ten players you do have commit schoolboy errors and have no backbone. To lose against Copenhagen when ahead in the final few minutes isn’t acceptable. We weren’t hanging on for dear life against Bayern Munich; it was self-inflicted wounds against Copenhagen. It was totally amateurish from our players, which wasn’t the fault of the officials. They capitulated once again. No composure or game management .
The point is, this happens when you are under pressure and outnumbered to boot. There’s no point getting caught up on the individual loss of a runner. The point is, the likelihood of a player eventually losing a runner 10vs11 is simply high.

Andersons Dietician

Started off great then it went to absolute bobbins. Never a red card for Rashford. Ridiculous decision. Letting clowns officiate these games that must not have ever played a game of football just ruins things. Anyone with any semblance of common sense who has played should think even a yellow for that would be harsh.

Then the errors passing it round at the back. One poor pass leading to others then making things worse as they try to repair the situation. That Varane Maguire screw up was just stupid.

tjb

The red card changed the game in their favor, there is no doubt about that. But ultimately we aren't good enough to hold on with 10 men. We should be, but we aren't. I don't even know what EtH should be doing. There is no accounting for the suicidal passes from AWB and Varane and the non-existent marking from Dalot. Maybe EtH shouldn't be playing Dalot at all seeing as how bad he is at defending, but AWB and Varane are the best we have. The lack of composure in what are supposed to be international footballers is inexcusable.

I just feel sad for Hojlund. The kid scored a brace in two CL matches now and has nothing to show for it. Must be frustrated just like the rest of us at the state of this team.
It's even worse than that. We barely create. He dragged us with individual magic in the first game. Yet when we finally create chances for him, we still find a way to lose despite his goals. The media has been licking their lips talking about our strikers not scoring, trying to paint him as a bad signing. Yet we don't create for him. Put Haaland in this team and it'd be the same. The sad part is we have one of the most creative players in the world with us as well , and another fast direct attacked in Rashford. It's quite clear the build up behind them is responsible for this, yet the media won't see that when criticizing.

And plenty of teams don’t. The odds are against you, and while you might make it out, you also might not.
True, but eight minutes left against Copenhagen when 3-2 up. We couldn’t even get a draw against them. That’s really poor, whatever else you can say in mitigation. Eight minutes that completely change our chances in the group.

Judas

Open to offers
Usual suspects letting us down at the back. Same old same. We were great up until the sending off, that swung the game, but even then we should never ever have lost.

Statue of Limitations

A clinic in awful in-game management, should have dug in and got to half time and grind it out, instead now we are in an uphill battle to qualify from a piss poor group. Sickened.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Infuriating game. Cruising, the most comfortable we've looked all season. Could have been a Hojlund hattrick after 30 minutes.

Then it all falls to shit after the red.

Usual suspects letting us down at the back. Same old same. We were great up until the sending off, that swung the game, but even then we should never ever have lost.
Yes, we shouldn’t have lost from a winning position in the final ten minutes, even with ten men. Not against a side like that. A number of players panicked again. That has killed our chances.

Bosnian red

Dear UTD, it can't be like this anymore. You are not an anonymous club that only local people support, you are a global brand, still among the most popular clubs in the world, and you have a bigger responsibility than such a club. History, glory, trophies, the system that the two coaches created for about 50 years obliged you personally that when you come to this club, you should know where you are coming from and what is expected of you.
You should know the value of that jersey. You should know that you are privileged to have the honor of being in that place, that club and that stadium. You should know that you are privileged because you are overpaid for what you give, but you live beautifully, much more beautifully than most in this world. Therefore, shame on you for what you are doing. Everyone in that club, from the owners who don't understand the difference between American football and football, from the manager who doesn't know what to do with these players, to the players who don't deserve to play in this kind of club. what kind of players are these? how much did you pay for this garbage of people and players? Instead of world class football you have given hundreds of millions to players who beat their wives, who are depressed but earn £200k a week, wingers who can't pass anyone 1v1, a defense where you have a player who is obviously a stupid man and player and who is costing the team every single match. This is a disaster. People are dying in poverty all over the world. People struggle to survive a month with 600 euros. You
you get £200-300k a week to entertain people once or twice a week and you can't do that. You all need to get out of this club. This club needs a complete reset, drive you all away, so that nothing reminds of you, and start from the initial level. To begin with, at least hire some good people, and then maybe a football player will join the team.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bayern playing 3rd placed Stuttgart after us in CL is handy to get a rotated side.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I thought up to the red card it was probably as well as we have played all season. After that it was just nuts.

RedOrange

I'm pretty chill about this result actually

We'll never win the CL with this squad but we have a chance to win Europa

I know which competition I'd rather us partake in

We're United and I hope we don't have to start begging for CL funds like other clubs
Would honestly prefer to drop out of Europe entirely so we can feck off some of these clowns in January and go with a smaller squad.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 215 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% FC Copenhagen 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% FC Copenhagen 0:1 Man Utd