CL L Champions League Group A

FC Copenhagen 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 08 November 2023

Ranie

9 games lost in 17 matches this season and this is fecking Manchester United. For fecks sake this is dreadful, not good enough and i’m inches from giving up on this club.

Yeah, the red card changed the game but that’s not an excuse against a relatively mediocre FCK team. What is wrong with this club and how can it be fixed? Sorry, but i’m beyond words.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Didn't Liverpool beat a far superior side in Newcastle whilst going down to to 10 men at 28 minutes? That was also away from home. We need to stop making excuses for this shower of shite. There is no excuse to throw a 2 goal lead against fecking Copenhagen 10 men or not.
One exception doesn't prove the rule. Liverpool are also a much, much better side than us and are Newcastle's bogey side.

Yanited__

It's obvious we suck when you ship this many goals but when are we ever going to get a game to go our way. When United struggle, we just seem to crumble. Actually thought we played well especially given the situation with 10 men but individual errors cost us in 5-10 minute spells.

There's no leadership in this side to game manage that situation. Rashford red card (OK questionable), Maguire handball, Dalot forgetting he's a defender and not defending the back post, defenders not being able to command that team for the final goal.

Only negative against ETH was to take Hojlund off our only focal point, and that too for Mount to play false nine (clearly did not work).

Feels like our games are played in cycles of hope, elation and disappointment. I went through all the emotions watching that but sadly it ends in another defeat.

RedIan

Well it was entertaining !

such a Brilliant start, we were romping it at 2-0 up. The red card changed the game, we just capitulated the rest of the first half.
In the second half we controlled the game for 15- 20minutes but looked short on being a threat up front.
At 3-2 up we should shut up shop and fight and battle to close spaces but some individual errors led to another capitulation. We are just too easy to score against.

some of the guys on the pitch deserved better, hojlund and Garnacho ran their hearts out.

I have little to no criticism of the team tonight. I saw the reaction I wanted to see. We can’t be mad that we can’t beat 10 men for more than an hour away from home in the CL. The odds are always against us. This is on these appalling officials.
I disagree. We were leading a very beatable side with eight minutes left, yet couldn’t even get a draw. That wasn’t because of the officials.

Utd4orever

Its not about the red card, we gave up 4 goals ffs. Even with 10 man thats ridiculous its fecking Copenhaguen not prime Barcelona. This squad is full of losers.
Dalot needs to be sold to Liverpool. He is the worst player not just on today's showing but for the past few years. Gives the ball away, can't cross, can't defend, lashes the ball away for clearances, plays hospital passes when he's in trouble, causing others to lose the ball.
Erik can you hear Me? Drop Dalot and everything else will click into place I promise

Kinky Melinky

I have little to no criticism of the team tonight. I saw the reaction I wanted to see. We can’t be mad that we can’t beat 10 men for more than an hour away from home in the CL. The odds are always against us. This is on these appalling officials.
I gotta say I tend to agree. I've been a whole lot more pissed off after other games than the game tonight. Very disappointed of course, but during the spells where we were passing the ball around and controlling the game we looked very good. The red card changed it, and obviously our defence is appalling. Some of the players out there tonight really looked like they were trying to make it happen.

Kinky Melinky

I disagree. We were leading a very beatable side with eight minutes left, yet couldn’t even get a draw. That wasn’t because of the officials.
I think he was referring more to the team in general. The loss came from moments of individual idiocy at the back. There are a few players who are absolutely murdering the effort that others are putting in.

JimiboyX

There are a ton of teams that have defended well going down to 10 not to mention defending a 2 goal lead.
Yeah this. The properly good teams would have tightened up and not blown a 2 goal lead to a side like Copenhagen (no disrespect), let alone blown it by half time and ended up shipping four.

It's symptomatic of where we are. We aren't any good and so things like this decide the games. Arsenal or City would have held out for a comfortable win from that position and I wouldn't even expect the more maverick outfits like Liverpool or Spurs to have blown that one.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I’d love to see the sliding doors version of our season if Onana had been sent off against wolves. And the media and everyone hadn’t started a campaign about VAR always favouring us.

santeria13

Sublemon
One exception doesn't prove the rule. Liverpool are also a much, much better side than us and are Newcastle's bogey side.
They've gone down to ten men three times this season and only barely lost one of them due to a last minute goal vs Tottenham so it isn't exactly one exception. There's also hundreds of examples of teams being able to hold leads against far inferior opponents down to men and even continue to score more.

Making excuses for this kind of stuff just goes to show how far our standards have dropped. Is this excusable vs a top team? Yes. Against Copenhagen with a 2 goal lead at one point? Absolutely not.

Our manager decides to make a defensive sub at 3-3 when we need a goal rather than when we took the lead to go 3-2 in the first place. Ridiculous

RonaldoVII

We still went to shit and conceded 4 games against a very poor team though. 10 men or not. We completely bottled it.

JediSith

Not for me. He’s protecting the ball and doesn’t look at the player at all. What is he supposed to do?
I agree. Looked very soft. No malice, not dangerously reckless. More his foot landed where the player had tried to tackle

Parma Dewol

Gutted. Given how bad we’ve been the season, I thought we’d struggle away from home in the face of that atmosphere.

Was pleasantly surprised with how we started the game, played some of our best football in a while and looked unbelievably comfortable. Felt like it would be a stroll until the ref got involved.

Despite the unjust setbacks, we started the second half well too, but it was always a big ask for a squad so devoid of confidence to see it out with 10 men. Could we have held out by parking the bus? With these players, on current form, doubtful.

Torrid night in the end, we deserved something from the game but can’t catch a break right now.

Gotten used to thinking oh well, another loss, but this one actually hurts. Should have been a great boost for the players and manager. Wasn’t to be.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Lot of bedwetting on the Caf tonight. Hard watch for those who only watch when we win, must have been tricky to know when to turn off.

We lost to 2 very dodgy decisions. 11 men and this game would've been 4 or 5 nil.

Kinky Melinky

Lot of bedwetting on the Caf tonight. Hard watch for those who only watch when we win, must have been tricky to know when to turn off.

We lost to 2 very dodgy decisions. 11 men and this game would've been 4 or 5 nil.
Yep. I'm taking what positives I can from this because after other games I've just been numb.

wolvored

Not for me. He’s protecting the ball and doesn’t look at the player at all. What is he supposed to do?
Never went for the ball for me, a stamp on the foot is a red. Put it this way if it was a stamp on Rashford we would all have been screaming for a red card for the opposing player.

Big Andy

Bloke
In 1993 just before we played Sheff Weds at OT, some cnut sold their soul to the devil for 20 years of sustained United dominance.

That 20 years took us to 2013 and since the devil came to town to collect his soul, we’ve been fecking cursed.

What we need now is some other cnut to do the same for the next 20 year period.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Never went for the ball for me, a stamp on the foot is a red. Put it this way if it was a stamp on Rashford we would all have been screaming for a red card for the opposing player.
Where are you from and does stamp mean something else there?

davidmichael

We lost to a third rate team. But my main annoyance was ETH taking off our 2 goal number 9 and bringing on Mount when we needed a goal.
Completely agree and team selection and in game management has been fecking shocking all season from ETH, he just does nothing or is fecking erratic and does the most mental thing possible.

This season we’ve had Lindelof at left back, Mount in a two in midfield, Fernandes wide right, McTominay as a 10 or as a defensive midfielder but the in game management and ability to clearly read what’s going on has been scarily horrific and not what I enjoyed about him before he came to United.

Hojlund as a focal point and out ball when we’re playing with 10 men was such a simple choice yet he moves Fernandes wide right when he’s awful there and it’s at a time when we need to keep the ball which Fernandes doesn’t do, I’d have pushed Hojlund out to wide right with Garnacho left and both cut inside.

The White Pele

Reminder of the mad stat that Sir Alex Ferguson never lost a single game of football in his managerial career after going two goals ahead

Heinzesight

It was a fantastic away CL performance, almost perfect…until we were fecked over.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yeah this. The properly good teams would have tightened up and not blown a 2 goal lead to a side like Copenhagen (no disrespect), let alone blown it by half time and ended up shipping four.

It's symptomatic of where we are. We aren't any good and so things like this decide the games. Arsenal or City would have held out for a comfortable win from that position and I wouldn't even expect the more maverick outfits like Liverpool or Spurs to have blown that one.
Even poor teams can play as a unit and defend well. We see that in PL all the time. We were playing Copenhagen not Bayern.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Obviously. We couldn’t see it out because we were under pressure away from home with a man light. There are two teams on the pitch. It’s great of we win a game with one less player, but it’s no disgrace if we don’t. That’s the idea, it makes it harder to get results with less players.

Norris Cole

Worth remembering we lost on our last visit to Copenhagen (Rooney, CR7, Scholes, Carrick, Vidic)

Away games in Europe always difficult, wouldn't categorise this loss with some of the other disasters we've had this season

Irwin99

For a team with ten men we kept possession reasonably well in the second half at times. Two stupid mistakes from Dalot and Varane ruined what could have been an unlikely win.

I feel sorry for EtH. He's not above criticism but we've had some ridiculous bad luck and some stupid individual errors from experienced players have cost us yet again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We still went to shit and conceded 4 games against a very poor team though. 10 men or not. We completely bottled it.
Not ‘10 men or not’. Just ‘10 men’. That’s not an irrelevant detail. Football is an 11-a-side game, and we were never conceding 4 goals in a fair fight. Anything that happens in an unfair one is of course disappointing, but easily mitigated. It’s a handicap match. We showed that the two teams were not equals when it was 11 each.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Has ETH said anything in the post match interview?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
And your point is? I don't give a toss about "doing well here".
That last bit was obvious, no need to type it.

Gatekeeping comments like yours are on my 'call out bullshit' list.

McFred

Wow. You know that the players do retain some agency over their actions even after a wrongful red card? AWB back pass, Varanes part in the 4th, Dalot sleeping again…but that’s all on the officials?

I’ll go back to the source of most of this recurring farce and it’s John Murtough and his complete incompetence with recruitment

RonaldoVII

Not ‘10 men or not’. Just ‘10 men’. That’s not an irrelevant detail. Football is an 11-a-side game, and we were never conceding 4 goals in a fair fight. Anything that happens in an unfair one is of course disappointing, but easily mitigated. It’s a handicap match. We showed that the two teams were not equals when it was 11 each.
A competent team doesn't concede 4 goals against Copenhagen with 10 men.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 215 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% FC Copenhagen 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% FC Copenhagen 0:1 Man Utd