EL D Europa League Round of 16 1st Leg

FC Rostov 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 09 March 2017

Coops73

Shit pitch=shit game but an ok result for us, though Winning at Old Trafford is far from a given these days.

Afro MOTM for me closely followed by Rojo.

The_Order

Our forwards couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

The referee, wow, he made damned sure that this game already handicapped by the atrocious pitch wouldn't happen

KN5

OK result, puts us firmly in control going into the second leg at OT. Moreover, conditions at OT will be far superior to whatever sort of surface we just played on.
Not sure it qualifies as a surface mate.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Rubbish game. Not a terrible result. Should hopefully get the job done at OT

Water Melon

I am afraid we won't have enough steam to survive the end of the season. Tiredness is growing and am not sure the return-leg at OT will be a walk in a park.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Disappointed we conceded but otherwise ok. Wasn't worried about watching a great match as the result is what's important at this stage.
Need our lot to concentrate for the next leg and not have any brainfarts. Honestly, that shouldn't be too much to ask of our lot.

Edit - Also hope all our fans come back home safe and sound.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
Midfield sat too deep and forward line to isolated. Rostov were playing the long ball and picking up the rebound from defence as it was bypassing the deep lying midfield. Thought Rojo was best player. Glad we got an away goal and dont seem to have any injuries. Lets hope we turn it on when we're on a good pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not quite as terrible to watch as I was expecting. Decent result given the conditions.
I'd say it was exactly as terrible to watch as I was expecting. Although the Rostov playacting was an element of shitness I didn't predict.

Decent performance in disgusting conditions, poorly referee'd. Away goal sorted, two of their best players out of return leg and no injuries (miraculously) or suspensions for United. Good outcomes all round. The only casualty is the beautiful game.

PogbaUnited

I'm not lying. In my top 3 over worst matches I've ever seen and I'm from Denmark where we have a dreadful league and shite teams. Those matches were better than this shite I've just seen.

Horrendous. Dreadful. Terrible. I could continue, but you know the drill.

How do I get my two hours back??

MadMike

Shit pitch, bad/boring game, decent result.

Let's smash them at Old Trafford

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Pitch condition is being exaggerated beyond belief. Old Trafford used to be a fecking plowed field right about this time of the season. Yet we've played many magnificent matches on it.

Different times though, different class players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Only thing decent about the game was the result. I don't see these scoring two at Old Trafford. The rest? Poor.

stevoc

Good result, we should beat them next week when we play them on a football pitch.

AXVnee7

Pitch condition is being exaggerated beyond belief. Old Trafford used to be a fecking plowed field right about this time of the season. Yet we've played many magnificent matches on it.

Was it so bad you couldn't play a pass 5 yards without it bobbling?

Was it so bad the opposition team submitted complaints to FA/UEFA before a game?

Man-United

Fellaini, Rojo, Mkhi, Zlatan best players in a poor team but with a great result.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'd say we would've played a similar game even if the pitch was perfect. We (hopefully) just wanted a decent result with minimal effort.

hn4manunited

I'm glad we came away with an away goal and no injuries. I'm sure Jose and the players were shooting for that as well considering all the fixtures coming up. I'm fully content with the result!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Those players also learnt their football on the streets. Players now go into academies early and play on surfaces like a snooker table, the top players hate this sort of surface.

Jericholyte2

Don't think there's any way to complain at that.....no injuries and an away goal, pretty much 100% happy at that.

Anyone who was expecting a tikka-takka masterpiece was fooling themselves with that abomination of a pitch.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Considering the state of the pitch and our congested fixture list, 1-1 in Russia is a decent result, especially in a knockout stage. Puts us in a great position to progress and we were able to rest a couple of key players as well.

What a shite game, though. If United weren't involved, I'd have switched it off in the 15th minute.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Sorry but you're talking out your arse. The Old Trafford pitch was never even close to that bad. Even when the grass was patchy the surface was flat and didn't cut up the way this pitch did. That would be right up there with the worst playing surface I've ever seen, at any level

Djemba-Djemba

I'd say it was exactly as terrible to watch as I was expecting. Although the Rostov playacting was an element of shitness I didn't predict.

Decent performance in disgusting conditions, poorly referee'd. Away goal sorted, two of their best players out of return leg and no injuries (miraculously) or suspensions for United. Good outcomes all round. The only casualty is the beautiful game.
Forgot about that.

That's a great bonus to the night.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 357 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Rostov win
  • Draw

Detailed Results