EL L Europa League Group A

Feyenoord 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 15 September 2016

JustinC00

Played like shit. But how does a team committ 17 fouls and only get 1 yellow card? Also goal was clearly offside

Macern

Pee pee pants
Couldn't care less what so called experts or FIFA say :lol:
Yeah, that's because they are a part of a select few qualified and objective sources and they disagree with you.
In fact, most United fans does as well. I think you're the only fan I know of who think Smalling isn't good enough for Man United. It's weird.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I really don't mind that we lost, shite competition. I said that in the prematch thread. Sooner we're out of it the better.
In theory it should help having more games as we have a lot of players to give minutes to.

Never seems to work like that though.

hobbers

Positives:
- First look for Mourinho at Rojo, Schneiderlin, Depay and Young in a competitive game, now he will know not to play them.
- More evidence that Mata should never play on the wing, ever.
- Pretty strong statement by subbing Martial and Rashford off for playing shit.
- It's only Europa league and we'd be better off going out in the group stage, honestly.

Negatives:
- Everything else.

MooseTheMooche

Probably have to remember our "A" team, will have Shaw, Valencia, and eventually Martial and Miki in good form.
Those 4 should make a huge difference.
Sorry mate, but the XI that played today consisted mostly of first team players. Pogba, Martial, Bailly, Mata, Herrera, Zlatan, Rashford (can also be considered as a regular), and we still played the same dross as under Moyes and LVG.

We still don't create nearly enough. And it's not because we will have too many average players, either. We've got more than enough that should be. It's a cohesion/confidence/whatever problem.
This.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Definitely, its just every single player except Herrera and Bailley were, I just find it strange to pick one out who played so little.
Yeah I see what you're saying - was talking to someone earlier who said "waste of 89m" - and I was like "everyone played shit, not just Pogba..."

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Its the performance thats more worrying than the actual result.
I don't think so. The performance was very poor, but we won't perform that bad on Sunday, considering how many changes will be made to the team. This just told me that our (mostly) second-string team can't win away to decent teams in Europe - that's how it would be with most clubs, in fairness.

---------------------------------------

I do think there is a big overreaction in this thread. We played Man City 5 days ago, in which Mourinho would have played more or less our strongest team possible. He made 8 changes out of 10 outfield players today, so it obviously wasn't our best side. I think most CL teams would struggle away to Feyenoord if they put out a side that had 8 changes from their squad on the weekend, assuming they weren't resting players (like Barca, for example).

Ludens the Red

It wasn't great but 8 changes away from home away to a team in form who were very up for the game, a 1-0 loss is hardly a shock.
What I noticed was our midfield looked decent, Pogba was in the positions he's supposed to be in and it was done without the need to empty our midfield. He fecked up everything he tried to do yes, but at least he was taking up the positions we need him to.
Herrera and Schneiderlin were two of the better performers tonight too. We Weren't helped by the terrible full backs and a front three who looked like they'd never played together.

podurban2

Blind - Bailly partnership has worked pretty well, wouldn't tinker that. Smalling has been very good last season but he's the one who may have to wait on an proper opportunity. Its always nice to have good options like the 3 of them vying for the 2 spots.
I just fail to see how much difference a ball-playing CB can make. If anything that's just a warning sign that things are not going as well as they should.

Manny

Grammar Police
I agree with Scholes on Schneiderlin and Carrick, and the need to dictate from deep

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yeah, that's because they are a part of a select few qualified and objective sources and they disagree with you.
In fact, most United fans does as well. I think you're the only fan I know of who think Smalling isn't good enough for Man United. It's weird.
If he's so good why was that his first game of the season then? It's weird, indeed.

vidic blood & sand

My God, 9% gave MotM to Schneiderlin so far. Can we just ban all of them?
Playing Schneiderlin is like just putting a random member of the public in the team. He doesnt tackle, pass, cross, run, score, defend. Id be intersted to see what his fifa 17 ratings are.

Roger

Offside goal, and had to use the big players.
Crap night, but easily forgotten.

Hopefully no ill effects for Sunday.

Memphis a standard pointless display. one more chance for him v Northampton, then ship him I think.
Yep!

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
We really struggle at opening teams up. We urgently need to find a way to get mkhitaryan in a central position (ideally in a 3 with pogba in front of someone holding). Get pace and quality put wide and ibra in the middle. But you look at arsenal and city, or barca/real madrid/bayern, and they just start games with more attacking players on the field so they can dominate games higher up the pitch.

I know its been banged about recently but I'd like to see us take a similar approach starting 11 wise to City. Just get more creative quality on the pitch so it becomes harder to shut us down as this has been a problem for ages.
Who would you start though, we can only really play how we do because De Bruyne and Silva are both very capable in the #10 role. How do you see a more attacking line-up at United? Who then plays as the one deeper midfielder like Fernandinho? It's probably a bit harder when a few players aren't on form. Weirdly everyone at City seems to be playing reasonably well so far.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah I see what you're saying - was talking to someone earlier who said "waste of 89m" - and I was like "everyone played shit, not just Pogba..."
People are going to say, 'but we didn't pay 89m for them'. He really needs to improve. I know the lad hasn't had a pre-season, which will not be helping, but the longer he stays in this form it will get more and more difficult for him.

friend

How exactly did Feyenoord park the bus? Just because we had no tempo to our game and had no idea what to do with the ball, which allowed them to get their players back in defense, doesn't mean they parked the bus.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
...Aaalways look on the bright side of life...
NO INJURIES! ;)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry mate, but the XI that played today consisted mostly of first team players. Pogba, Martial, Bailly, Mata, Herrera, Zlatan, Rashford (can also be considered as a regular), and we still played the same dross as under Moyes and LVG.

This.
How many of tonight's lineup will start on Sunday?

I'd say at tops 5

redNATION

I just cant believe that we continue to spend fortunes, and this is what we end up with?? Its not like the players are bad either - our squad is definietly better than Leicester's and they thrashed Bruges, who we'd probably struggle against. We have to seriously evaluate what it is that stops top class players performing here.

Macern

Pee pee pants
If he's so good why was that his first game of the season then? It's weird, indeed.
Oh my god don't be ignorant. Have you not noticed how Blind has performed extremly well so far? Smalling was banned for the first games which gave Blind the chance and he performed so well that it was unfair to drop him.

VP

Performances like that make me worry there's something rotten in our club that renders good players into utter shite.

That was as bad as anything we produced under Van Gaal: aimless, negative, embarrassing. Absoloutely appalling and unacceptable. Feyenoord are very average, but we created nothing.

predator

Youth NITK
The team just isn't clicking. It's such an easy comment to make and is very cliché but it's true. You have Pogba there on the ball and you can tell he is individually better than anyone on their team but he just can't do anything that is productive in the game. I can't put my finger on what is the actual problem.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At the end for the day we are a "work in progress", I still think that Pogba doesn't know how to play is position or even know what type of player he wishes to be.

I think we was missing the midfield, Herrea did his best. The rest apart from Smalling (who hasn't played for a while) were crap.
This work in progress. Transition. Or whatever you want to call it. I don't buy any of this.
MCFC, Chelsea and MUFC - all teams got new managers at the same time.
And we have just lost 2 matches in a row.

We have a Galatico class manager, so there is no excuse for losing 2 games in a row.

SirAnderson

Micky mouse competition, don't care! But still should be winning this.

Honeymoon well and truly over now. Now comes the for better or worst bit...more like till death do us part!

SAF out of retirement!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I said it was about as bad as I've ever seen us play yes

Midtjylland
Basel
Benfica

It was as bad as all of them
Are you some sort of new fan? Were you not around for most of Moyes or Van Gaal's spells?
Were you not around when we lost 5-0 to Newcastle, 6-3 to Southampton, 6-1 v City etc?

I'll say it again, woeful hyperbole (unless you are a new fan)

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If Rojo stays where he is supposed to, The CB's dont have to move across and that goal doesn't happen. His is the biggest individual error in the build up to that goal
No way. Schniderlin leaving Vilhenna that free yet he is the defensive midfielder is utterly criminal. The defence covered well for Rojo's loss of the ball. Its Schniederlin's fault entirely the goal was scored. For even Herrera was picking up somebody

vidic blood & sand

I don't think so. The performance was very poor, but we won't perform that bad on Sunday, considering how many changes will be made to the team. This just told me that our (mostly) second-string team can't win away to decent teams in Europe - that's how it would be with most clubs, in fairness.

---------------------------------------

I do think there is a big overreaction in this thread. We played Man City 5 days ago, in which Mourinho would have played more or less our strongest team possible. He made 8 changes out of 10 outfield players today, so it obviously wasn't our best side. I think most CL teams would struggle away to Feyenoord if they put out a side that had 8 changes from their squad on the weekend, assuming they weren't resting players (like Barca, for example).
I thought Feyenoord were awful. They never looked like scoring until they had a lucky break. We were utterly attrocious. Couldnt pass, poor movement, no attacking threat.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The approach was very strange - he fields 2 pacey strikers, an energetic 3-man midfield and then restricts them from pressing Feyenoord higher up the pitch? :confused: Definitely Mourinho's fault. Players weren't better though.

We missed Blind's passing and Valencia's overlaps. Pogba, Martial and Rashford were disappointing. Rojo and Depay were shit.

I expected more from De Gea though, same as against City, the keeper of his class should've saved at least one of those 3 goals.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And what's up with their goalscorer? Is he wearing an awful wig? His hair looked incredibly weird.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It wasn't great but 8 changes away from home away to a team in form who were very up for the game, a 1-0 loss is hardly a shock.
What I noticed was our midfield looked decent, Pogba was in the positions he's supposed to be in and it was done without the need to empty our midfield. He fecked up everything he tried to do yes, but at least he was taking up the positions we need him to.
Herrera and Schneiderlin were two of the better performers tonight too. We Weren't helped by the terrible full backs and a front three who looked like they'd never played together.
Yes, I think this is important. Ok so he was bad today, but it's important that this happens and he gets going. He'll improve, as the first step is getting him in the position he ought to be in. One game is not enough to come to a definitive conclusion.
I hope he has a strong mentality because the ex players, pundits etc surely smell blood already. Needs to ignore that and keep working.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 460 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Feyenoord win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Feyenoord 0:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Feyenoord 1:2 Man Utd