EL L Europa League Group A

Feyenoord 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 15 September 2016

DevilRed

Honestly couldnt be arsed about this competition. The sooner we get out the better.

Hinderance to our league hopes.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We were poor all over. Fullbacks were disastrous, shit defending and offered zero going forward - slowed us up a a lot. It also led to a big gap between defence and attack. Martial and Rash swapped every now and then but zero ball worked consistently down the flank, and nothing no through the middle.

Subs made little impact too. This will take time, 3 years of utter chaos and evidently awfully average signings - our squad depth is just very poor.

Thought Morgan played good though considering he hasn't kicked a ball in vein in months.

Not bothered about this competition, just with it highlighting our shortcomings

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
When I said that history would likely judge LvG kindly, I didn't want it to be like this. That was one seriously podgy, stale display. For the second match running, I'm a little baffled by the team selection and underwhelmed by the strategy of the team. We've got a real game on our hands this weekend now.

shaky

Couldn't really give a hoot about the Europa League. Half their team should have been on yellow cards by half-time, offside goal. Pretty standard away from home European game. It's hardly the end of the world.

clarkydaz

Are we still too big for the competition? looks like the players couldn't motivate themselves like Jose said they would have to

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
IMO the easiest fix is to buy Leicester.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can't help but think that Mourinho played the importance of this competition down when he said it's not where we want to be.

The lack of creativity is what worries me the most. With 11 men behind the ball we still seem to have no-one who can create a bit of magic.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Resignation. I just dont know what to feel anymore.

We continue to buy top dollar players, we change managers, we change tactics, we change competition...

..and the result is just the same. Just lost for words.

Dinghy

If it takes a performance like this for Mourinho to realize how much dross it is in this squad then maybe something positive can come out of this.
I'd much rather see TFM, Pereira and Borthwick-Jackson play than Memphis/Young, Rojo and Darmian. I'm sure they'd perform a lot better as well.

LouisDanGaal

Offside goal, and had to use the big players.
Crap night, but easily forgotten.

Hopefully no ill effects for Sunday.

Memphis a standard pointless display. one more chance for him v Northampton, then ship him I think.
You watched that game and Memphis grabbed your attention in some way?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We really struggle at opening teams up. We urgently need to find a way to get mkhitaryan in a central position (ideally in a 3 with pogba in front of someone holding). Get pace and quality put wide and ibra in the middle. But you look at arsenal and city, or barca/real madrid/bayern, and they just start games with more attacking players on the field so they can dominate games higher up the pitch.

I know its been banged about recently but I'd like to see us take a similar approach starting 11 wise to City. Just get more creative quality on the pitch so it becomes harder to shut us down as this has been a problem for ages.

GwilDor

Holy shit.... The thing is, what i am most afraid of, is that Mourinho doesn't get a good start. In general that is. So far there is no crisis. 4th in the league with 3W0D1L is acceptable, and loosing away at the group win challenger in EL is no crisis either. But 2 losses in a row, i'm wondering how Mourinho deals with that this early in his reign.

I'm just a bit disappointed i guess. Not that i expected us to go to the toughest away game in the group stage and go gung ho. I expected us to be defensive and pragmatic, so that was all as expected. What worries me is the body language of the players. Stuff like Pogba(more or less all the game looking half unmotivated, half irritated), and Rashford, who looks irritated he's the only one giving a fu*k. Also, i know we expect too much from DDG, but the goal today, he would have saved 97/100 times the last 3 seasons.

Regarding the offside situation at the goal, norwegian tv-studio claims that the analysis tools drawing tthe offside line shows that it is NOT offside, which means the grass cut is more diagonal than perpendicular to the sideline. The dude responsible for that probably didn't drink responsibly....

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
How can he end the game at 93:03 on a corner, when they did a sub in injury time?
Goal was offside, United was shit.
Bleh!

Deleted member 101472

While he was rubbish, where did the midfield disappear to? That guy ran 70 yards unnoticed
If Rojo stays where he is supposed to, The CB's dont have to move across and that goal doesn't happen. His is the biggest individual error in the build up to that goal

AndyJ1985

How much money do we need to spend before we have a great team? Just feels like de ja vu at the moment.

mufcforever

This match has confirmed my belief on Blind being an extremely crucial cog in the team.

We have almost brainless, meaningless short passes from our defenders to midfielders / attackers who generally struggle once the haphazard passes arrive to them with the burden of handling high pressing from opponent's midfielders.

Most teams have read our ineffective passing like a book and press us in our own half and force us into stupid passes where our attackers have less room to maneuver.

Blind has the intelligence to distribute effectively & build our passing into something substantial from the back.

Bar Martial, there was no attacking outlet and no one took responsibility of sorting things out in the final 3rd.

A day to forget, lets hope we play some good football in the weekend

The Firestarter

FAO people blaming the officials: Yes they did make mistakes. But we were atrocious. Most worrying of all we had absolutely no idea what to do on the pitch. And we did not look like a team at all.

Stactix

Awful performance.

Mourinho has to take alot of the blame.
Sat way to deep and let them come onto us by not pressing enough, same problem at City.

Even then, our counter attack is pure fecking awful.

Honestly, so far this season, apart from Hull has our midfield even controlled the game?

Can't blame it on Rooney anymore, this side is far from finished.

Macern

Pee pee pants
What? He's not good enough for us. I know that may burn deep, but its true.
Nah, he's the best centre back in the league according to a lot of objective football experts. He has got a rating of 84 in FIFA. He has been amazing for us in the past two seasons. How can you say that he isn't good enough for us, when there are like 20 worse players in our squad?

podurban2

This match has confirmed my belief on Blind being an extremely crucial cog in the team.

We have almost brainless, meaningless short passes from our defenders to midfielders / attackers who generally struggle once the haphazard passes arrive to them with the burden of handling high pressing from opponent's midfielders.

Most teams have read our ineffective passing like a book and press us in our own half and force us into stupid passes where our attackers have less room to maneuver.

Blind has the intelligence to distribute effectively & build our passing into something substantial from the back.

Bar Martial, there was no attacking outlet and no one took responsibility of sorting things out in the final 3rd.

A day to forget, lets hope we play some good football in the weekend
So you'd play Blind instead of?

Raw

4 successive away losses in Europe. First time that's ever happened.

Glad to see the record breaking is still going on.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Same old same old from last season, if we want to be a team that challenges for regular trophies then we need to improve massively. Schneiderlin, Rojo, Smalling, Mata, Rashford, Martial, Memphis, Young and Ibra were all very poor which is a shame but the slim majority of that list simply aren't good enough anyway.
Mourinho certainly hasn't picked an easy job with us.
Herrera did well though, I'd start him and Fellaini on Sunday.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 460 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Feyenoord win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Feyenoord 0:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Feyenoord 1:2 Man Utd