EL L Europa League Group A

Feyenoord 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 15 September 2016

Silverman

Awful performance and result but genuinely not that worried. Onwards and Upwards.

RoyH1

Not good enough. Not after all that investment. Feyenoord is a classic, well run team and certainly no pushovers, but we should be playing much better against a team like that.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Blame Rooney. It's all his fault. Without Rooney all of our players would be world-class and we'd win all games 5-0, isn't it so?
From the match thread to here, Why do you keep ranting about rooney and making these useless contributions?

togg

I think we understand why Jose loves Rooney....love him or loath him...he fights and understands and remembers the old united under Ferguson. We missed him...seriously.

3KDré

Actually a fecking dreadful performance. That was absolute shit.

hobbers

The lack of pressing in the first half is on Mourinho, again.

Everything else is on the players. Best system in most peoples' eyes. Great players in said system. Almost all of them were fecking diabolical.

Dobba

Competition wise, couldn't give a feck. Me not giving a feck isn't ideal, but I'm just someone watching the game. The problem is the manager and team looked less arsed about the result than me and everyone else.

Which begs the question, why play the team we did?

DevilRed

Not surprising. Completely new team with some players having played zero football prior to this.

Not too down about it. We will improve and gel as a team. It will take time however.

Still think Mikhitaryan is key to us playing on the counter effectively. He has got to be in the team once back from injury.

Theonas

Scout
Not bothered about the Europa one tiny bit. This game has shown the glaring weaknesses in the squad. Still lots of players to shift, namely Smalling, Darmian, Depay and Young.
Barcelona have won a treble with bloody Mathieu and Vermaelen as squad players. City have the likes of Fernando, Clichy, Sagna and Delph. Our own successful teams had players like O'Shea, Smith and Evans as squad members. This myth that we need established world class players filling the bench for us to legitimately expect some semblance of dencet football really needs to stop.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We beat United. I'm over the moon. I don't care about the EL at all since we dont have the means to win it, but perhaps this will give us confidence to win the league? At least it will help our cause in the psv game this weekend.

Feel sorry for United fans. They were terrible. EL or not, offside or not. You have Martial, Zlatan and Pogba. We have Kuyt, El Ahmadi en Jan Arie van der Heijden.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
At best, we can hope Mourinho rages on these guys privately. Total lack of effort when even a little bit more would have been enough to get the 3pts. Didn't like the subs all at once like that, didn't let us address things as the match progressed.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Same old shit. No quality on display at all.

All despite playing 4-3-3 and with no Rooney.
At least give the team a chance to play without Rooney. You can't jump all over the decision after one game -no matter how shit we performed.

Sp00ks11

Don't want to hear any more talk of title challenge, Rooney being the reason we are poor or Memphis being in the team. So far this season we have been poor. We have made Feyenoord defense look world class today, just a few weeks after Hull doing the same to us. We have beat nobody of note this season, and don't say Leicester because we struggled against them! Liverpool just thumped those mugs a few days ago.

Why are Herrera and Schneiderlin both sitting so deep all game but being nowhere to stop their goal? Rojo is an imposter of a player, total shite.

Also has a team ever had so many poor crossers of the ball for so long. 9 out of 10 of our deliverys are hit at the first defender or miles over. Its been like this for atleast 4 years now!

jetlee

I feel like Depay is a very cruel practical joke by LvG that's meant to haunt us long after he's gone.

Beyond that, I could not be less fecked about the whatever League. As long as we keep form in the premiership, we can lose all we want here.

Visible that the players today couldn't care less about this competition either.
Yeah, let's pretend this competition is below our level, shall we?

Hed Zitin

Seen that clueless performance so many times in the last three seasons it makes me think we are a broken club.

It's just putrid football. Not a single shred of quality. Pressing and movement off the ball are non existent here.

Playing as badly as that, spending the type of cash we do. It's disgraceful.

the hea

I hope this was the last time I had to see Mata playing as a right winger. I don't think I have seen anything more pointless than him trying to play on the wing.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think we understand why Jose loves Rooney....love him or loath him...he fights and understands and remembers the old united under Ferguson. We missed him...seriously.
Yeah I'd agree with this. He can often offer the bit of composure that we lacked tonight towards the end. (See Hull away)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really poor.

Herrera and Schneiderlin are the only positives for me. Pogba wasn't great, but he was trying to create at any opportunity.

Everyone else can do one.
What game did you watch? Schneiderlin is both talentless and couldn't even be arsed running.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
Yep pretty poor game. 1 yellow for 20 odd fouls didnt help. Herrera was best player, would have been better with Carrick behind him instead of Morgan. Pogba shows glimpses but had large patches where he dissappeared. Memphis was terrible also, completely off the pace.

Oh well, at least it was an early game so can get on the division and get my supply drop for another holster.

AkaAkuma&

United got fecked by an Erdivisie side in a Europa league match. Almost a deja vu of last year, just that last year it was in the Champions league. So this looks like a step backward from last year.

Fully Fledged

Some of them are turning on him already

Me and you were by far in the minority of not wanting Jose, but now that he is here both willing to give him more than 5 fecking games
I agree. I'm not a big fan and was against him coming but we can't keep sacking managers.
Now he's the manager we need to give him some time.

SalfordRed1960

Total bullocks, same indiscipline by the same players leads to another defeat.

We are a boring side because the players have no winning mentality and players not willing to take control of a game.

Only player with credit was Herrera.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Pogba and co getting shredded to bits on dutch tv. Laughing at English football quality and hype. Lolz. They're saying we look like pub players.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Awful, from start to finish, no intensity, no ideas, no shots, a nothing performance.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I don't think Mourinho is throwing this competition per se, but he has made it clear he doesn't want us in this competition.

Maybe he's sneakily trying to get us knocked out early, by picking shit players such as Rojo and Darmian - he may have even flat out said before the game "take it easy tonight lads - don't tire yourselves out, just give it 50%, remember the Watford game is more important", etc. etc...

Count Orduck

Really poor.

Herrera and Schneiderlin are the only positives for me. Pogba wasn't great, but he was trying to create at any opportunity.

Everyone else can do one.
Schneiderlin was fecking useless! Offered absolutely nothing. And Herrera wasn't much better. Pogba was trying to run that midfield on his own.

Womp

idiot
Blame Rooney. It's all his fault. Without Rooney all of our players would be world-class and we'd win all games 5-0, isn't it so?
It's one game, I guess using that logic we can blame Rooney for the absolute shit show we put on in the first half against City, since he was playing and all. Get a grip.

Poor performance with a fair few players who haven't played all season yet against a fired up team playing at home, unacceptable but not unexpected.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just too many average( and/or off form) players playing at the same time. Morgan, Herrera, Mata, Young, Smalling (yes even him), Rojo, Darmian, Depay... They're just not good enough anymore.
This is without mentioning the better players who are underperforming (Martial, Pogba)

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Shit game. We failed to cope with their physicality and it resulted in a garbage display, especially in attack.

Annoyed with the loss, but I'm sure we'll still top the group.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I really don't mind that we lost, shite competition. I said that in the prematch thread. Sooner we're out of it the better.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 460 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Feyenoord win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Feyenoord 0:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Feyenoord 1:2 Man Utd