EL L Europa League Group A

Feyenoord 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 15 September 2016

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't think so. The performance was very poor, but we won't perform that bad on Sunday, considering how many changes will be made to the team. This just told me that our (mostly) second-string team can't win away to decent teams in Europe - that's how it would be with most clubs, in fairness.

---------------------------------------

I do think there is a big overreaction in this thread. We played Man City 5 days ago, in which Mourinho would have played more or less our strongest team possible. He made 8 changes out of 10 outfield players today, so it obviously wasn't our best side. I think most CL teams would struggle away to Feyenoord if they put out a side that had 8 changes from their squad on the weekend, assuming they weren't resting players (like Barca, for example).
That's a fair point but this is a side that brought in players like Herrera, Schneiderlin, Rashford, Darmian and Smalling who people have been crying out for starting places in the United team. They're not bit part players. They should have stepped up and took their chance to make an impression on the game. That team, regardless of the 8 changes was still good enough to beat Feyenoord.

But I agree, it is a bit of an over-reaction and will be like that for a while I guess.

kps88

I think the main thing this game has shown us is there's a real good chance a lot of our squad players aren't as good as we thought they were. A few injuries and all of a sudden our squad won't look all that strong.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Actually either he's not bothered about the Europa or he's genuinely got a bit more calm? :confused: His interview was pretty good - no blaming anyone - not even the ref and the offside goal..... Good.

Trizy

Only caught the first half due to training and honestly we played better football in our practice match than I watched.

MooseTheMooche

Needs our support to turn it around. No bed wetting this early in proceedings as it will add further pressure to him and the team - which we definitely don't need.
I thoroughly agree with this, but at the same time Jose set the bar really high for himself and the team. If we continue to play this way, I see us struggling for that top4 finish, let alone fighting for the title

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who would you start though, we can only really play how we do because De Bruyne and Silva are both very capable in the #10 role. How do you see a more attacking line-up at United? Who then plays as the one deeper midfielder like Fernandinho? It's probably a bit harder when a few players aren't on form. Weirdly everyone at City seems to be playing reasonably well so far.
Something like:
Ibra
Martial Pogba Mkhitaryan Rashford
????
Problem is of course that holding midfielder where we really have no stand out candidate who can control games. Carrick but hes old and lacks the energy, same with Schweiny. Schneiderlin lacks the mentality for it, fellaini lacks the talent, herrera probably not enough defensive thinking. Though I would say Herrera would compliment it best. Definitely our next signing though.

But on the front 5, we would have similar pace and quality out wide, with huge potential. Different type of striker but world class and immensely talented all the same. Then Mkhitaryan is actually quite similar to silva and de bruyne, he just needs to adapt to the league, but he is a very intelligent player, 2 footed, and really talented on the ball. Then pogba of course is also immensely talented and would be the other mid who can get forward loads. Gets both of them in their best position while also having the pace out wide. Mata is on the bench if we want too. So with the signings we made, the quality is there in attack, we just need to set it up properly to get the most out of it.

togg

I think Jose coming out before the game saying "we do not want to be in the Europa League" really got the players hyped up and in the right mentality to perform.
yep..said that twice already....if a manager isn't that bothered about a competition, don't see how his players can. I'm not actually blaming him, he's got a shite load of work on his hands to get us into the top four and it's true these Thursday night games are...well....not really ideal for preparation for the Premier League games.

U99ted

At least give the team a chance to play without Rooney. You can't jump all over the decision after one game -no matter how shit we performed.
I'm not jumping on the decision, I actually thought Jose made a good team selection tonight. To me, the players out there bottled it, when they should have grabbed a good chance to perform without Wayne in the team.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I do think there is a big overreaction in this thread.
But I agree, it is a bit of an over-reaction
I doubt the reaction is by any means 'over'. It was a shite performance and rightly so. If after spending so much money we still don't have depth for midweek games, I shudder to think how we'd fare in CL.

tomaldinho1

Very boring to watch but at least this was a second string. I think Jose couldn't give a hoot about Europa and is solely looking at the Prem.

I would expect Rojo to finally do one in Jan, Borthwick Jackson a much better option so why not recall him

Devil81

It was never an easy place to go with half fit players, I feared we'd lose if we tinkered too much with the line up.

We got what we deserved, we will improve.

GiddyUp

We have had plenty of weeks like these over the last twenty five years. Jose will build a solid squad over the next few seasons. Memphis, Young and Rojo have no right to be near this squad. Memphis has had literally two and a half good games for us, definately conned on this lad.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Do you think the posters who have crusaded against LVG are questioning themselves tonight?

Do you think the posters who spent all summer jizzing themselves over signing Pogba making it the biggest football thread on this forum are questioning themselves?

Do you think the posters who begged and pleaded for Mourinho,asking us to lose the FA Cup will be looking at themselves tonight?

Me neither.

togg

Do you think the posters who have crusaded against LVG are questioning themselves tonight?

Do you think the posters who spent all summer jizzing themselves over signing Pogba making it the biggest football thread on this forum are questioning themselves?

Do you think the posters who begged and pleaded for Mourinho,asking us to lose the FA Cup will be looking at themselves tonight?

Me neither.
nope...exactly right. And if they are....bloody hell....

GiddyUp

At the end of the day, I think these last two matches must have made Jose realise he has his work cut out. There is such a post Fergie disease, it's as if that guy had some sort of psychic power over middle of the road players to gel them into a winning minded team. It's early days for him, but shite on a stick, it's going to take the very best of him to turn this team into the same force that pretty much all Fergusons had. What was it about that guy!!
He emphasized the importance in having fun, positive and lightning fast attack. Away European games were very similar to tonight but home games we tore it up. I'm annoyed that we still have some shit floating around but relaxed in the fact that we have the right guy in charge.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I doubt the reaction is by any means 'over'. It was a shite performance and rightly so. If after spending so much money we still don't have depth for midweek games, I shudder to think how we'd fare in CL.
I think it's more to do with the 'end of the world' mentality rather than the anger at losing to an average team in such a manner. People are right to be pissed at the performance as it was truly bad but it was just a bad performance. It doesn't hold any lasting significance such as knocking us out of the competition and it's only Jose's 5th competitive game. We just need to keep things in perspective.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
22 fouls, one yellow.

Another weak refereeing performance meant that Feyenoord could get away with constant fouling without punishment and a LOT of fouls went unpunished.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Very boring to watch but at least this was a second string. I think Jose couldn't give a hoot about Europa and is solely looking at the Prem.

I would expect Rojo to finally do one in Jan, Borthwick Jackson a much better option so why not recall him
If he 'didn't give a hoot about Europa' he wouldn't have started Bailly, DDG, Pogba, Martial and brought on Zlatan!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Lot of players played with not match fitness and that was apparent. Players got kicked out of the first half. 20+ fouls from Feyenoord and only one yellow, they were allowed to do what they wanted.

Dull 0-0 match were neither side created anything but it ended 1-0 because someone didn't do their job.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
22 fouls, one yellow.

Another weak refereeing performance meant that Feyenoord could get away with constant fouling without punishment and a LOT of fouls went unpunished.
We'll beat them at OT. Hopefully we get a better referee or if same one he is as lenient with us as he was with them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm not jumping on the decision, I actually thought Jose made a good team selection tonight. To me, the players out there bottled it, when they should have grabbed a good chance to perform without Wayne in the team.
Agreed. Will just have to chuck some of those in the January window. Got to make the most of your opportunities.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
We'll beat them at OT. Hopefully we get a better referee or if same one he is as lenient with us as he was with them.
this is one of the key reasons they got away. Then he gifted them an offside goal.
I know this is written on here quite often but you just know if that was Fellaini, Rojo, Rooney, Zlatan etc. making any one of those fouls there'd have been an instant yellow card. Actually can't believe they were able to play like that for 90 minutes, Mata alone was hacked to pieces 5-6 times!

I'm fecking livid tonight. Sunday needs to hurry up ASAP.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agreed. Will just have to chuck some of those in the January window. Got to make the most of your opportunities.
Ashley Young is on a lot of money, Phil Jones is on a lot of money and always injured, Rojo is on a lot of money, is shit, doesn't appear to want to leave, Memphis the same. They will need to take a serious pay cut if they moved somewhere else. They are far too comfy here.

Mihai

Agree. He rested players in crucial positions, especially fullbacks. And I thought players like Rojo and Darmian will give all to impress. Especially Darmian, since he has a 30 years old winger ahead of him.

But I guess they can't be really bothered by getting millions every year for doing feck all.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 460 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Feyenoord win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Feyenoord 0:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Feyenoord 1:2 Man Utd