g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

EL W Europa League Group A

Manchester United 4:0 Feyenoord

Post-match discussion

Thu, 24 November 2016

prath92

The commentary today was just nonsense

First stream was FS1 from USA and have to say Alexi Lalas is quite clearly an abomination. The guy clearly hates United and add to that he says nonsense half the time

Then I switched to BT sport one and annoyingly the guy there was intent on saying 'mackitariyan'.

Are they competing to be bad?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good words from Rooney. Made it personal with the interviewer with the "people like you" comment. Good to see a player not bow down to the media and stick something back their way.
Absofeckinglutely. Brilliant from Wayne, Mhiki class, easier to think who was just ordinary. Well done lads. I deliberately avoided the match day thread like any sensible person. Took me a while to learn though.

prath92

Why is mkhitariyan MOTM? Pogba was quite clearly the best player on the pitch I thought

RedPed

Whatabouter.
A great team performance all round with even Romero doing a solid job. If only we'd put the chances away in the previous three home games. I just hope Mkhitaryan gets a run of games. He's exactly what we need.

jackofalltrades

We need a point at Zorya to get through, right?
We'll have to get a result just in case but it will depend on what happens in the Feyenoord/Fener game. If they draw, we'll be through no matter what and top of the group if we win or draw.

OldTrevil

Another good performance and this time the goals came. Rooney rolled back the years and Mkhi started and played well, he deserved a goal but that performance surely gets him game-time on the weekend. Rooney gets my MOTM for his crucial first goal and assist on the second, after that it was just a matter of how big the result would get. Mata, Pogba, Carrick, Valencia continue their good form and Romero came through with crucial saves in the first half. Lingard with a beautiful goal to finish off a good night. Overall huge confidence boost for the weekend.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Enjoyable performance! :drool:
The results will come if we continue like this.

Mkhitaryan is exactly what this team needs. Hope Jose realises that. Him for MotM, Rooney not too far behind.
When he was running direct at opponents he was very good. Reminded me of De Bruyne. He started the first half well but then the whole team sort of went into their shell. Second half was very good. Maybe trying too hard for a goal, but he looked dynamite.

On another note i would have taken off pogba and zlatan to give them rest. Pogba must be wrecked now after all the games he is playing.

Frank Grimes

The commentary today was just nonsense

First stream was FS1 from USA and have to say Alexi Lalas is quite clearly an abomination. The guy clearly hates United and add to that he says nonsense half the time

Then I switched to BT sport one and annoyingly the guy there was intent on saying 'mackitariyan'.

Are they competing to be bad?
Alexi Lalas, that's who it was. When he said that Mkhi was playing like a player who lacked confidence(in the second half) I thought I was hearing things. He's dreadful.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How much do Feynoord have to beat Fernabanche to go through assuming we get a draw?

TheReligion

Abusive
Right from the second half we started running direct at their defence. Shaw did it and Micky did it escpecially. Jose said something to them at half time. It was a much improved performance in the second half.
Yeah I noticed this. Especially with Shaw.

Something certainly said at half time.

Witchking

We'll have to get a result just in case but it will depend on what happens in the Feyenoord/Fener game. If they draw, we'll be through no matter what and top of the group if we win or draw.
Doesn't sound right. If they draw, Fenerbahce will be on 11 and with a United draw, we will be on 10 and second in the table.

The only way for us to top the group is for Feyenoord to win or draw and us to win as well if i am not wrong.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Doesn't sound right. If they draw, Fenerbahce will be on 11 and with a United draw, we will be on 10 and second in the table.

The only way for us to top the group is for Feyenoord to win or draw and us to win as well if i am not wrong.
No - if we draw and Feyenoord beat Fenerbahce we have a better head to head with both of them and so we'd win the group. If Fenerbahce equal or get a better result than us we can't overtake them but would qualify

OldTrevil

Why is mkhitariyan MOTM? Pogba was quite clearly the best player on the pitch I thought
Pogba has been the best player on the pitch for the last couple games, and his performance have flown under the radar. Given our lack of goals however I felt Rooney's contribution was crucial. Looks like people are giving it to Mkhitaryan because we all wanted him to play for so long and he had a good performance.

Gopher Brown

There were better players tonight, but I'm amazed how well Phil Jones has played since he's been back in the team. Shame we all know it's only a matter of time.

Chrissypop

There were better players tonight, but I'm amazed how well Phil Jones has played since he's been back in the team. Shame we all know it's only a matter of time.
I agree and I think it is real praise for him the fact that he was hardly mentioned today. Lets just hope he can keep going and show us why we thought so much of him whilst he was at Blackburn.

Josep Dowling

This, I just hope he doesn't fly into a unnecessary challenge as we simply can't have another injury at CB. He appears a lot more composed since he came back.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Jose's post match interview? He did it, right? Can't find it..
Btw, can someone explain: "Did not set foot in the wedding", thing! Don't get it, where was that picture taken from?

Raw

Went ahead and made a table of the permutations for the final game of the group. Green = won the group, yellow = 2nd, red = knocked out. Also takes into account all the tiebreakers.

Last edited:

The BlackGaijin

So I was getting ready to go to work while this was on so I didn’t watch. Was Mkhi that good or are we just happy he played that we had to rate him highest?

Raw

So I was getting ready to go to work while this was on so I didn’t watch. Was Mkhi that good or are we just happy he played that we had to rate him highest?
He was very involved today and one of our best players, there were quite a few good shouts for MOTM but I gave it to him for doing it in his first start in ages.

The Wanderer

Mikky looked a class act and the sort of player Real Madrid would buy. He needs a run in the team, no matter what.
Shaw again reminded me of a pub team player, rewind and watch at 14mins. No way on earth would a top team ever come in for him, in a million years. He is so limited, its incredible that he is the worlds most expensive full back.
Rooney rolled back the clock and looked great but he should of been putting that ammount of effort in for the last 3 years. I think he has finally had that kick up the arse from the press to make him try harder. The last time I saw him run so much was when he was trying to beat Sir Bobbys scoring record for England. Hopefully he keeps up the commitment and effort.
Overall we are looking like a team, albeit against shite opposition but looking good for the immediate future !!

The Wanderer

What about when he got skinned and ended up on his arse when they nearly scored in the first half.
If you mean he played well because he didn't do anything idiotic then I agree !

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Went ahead and made a table of the permutations for the final game of the group. Green = won the group, yellow = 2nd, red = knocked out. Also into account all the tiebreakers.

After a pretty underwhelming group stage we've ended up with a few aces up our sleeve. Obviously it's shit we didn't breeze through as winners, but we're guaranteed progression with a draw, will top the group by bettering Fenerbahce's result and can still get through even if we lose.

BIGbadBOO4

Mkhitaryan was excellent, we do pass it around very well. I think Zlatan may be the problem, we need a fast skillful forward to make little darting moves to free up the play. I would love to see Martial up front.

Man of the Match

Henrikh Mkhitaryan image Henrikh Mkhitaryan 47% of 704 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 492 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Feyenoord win
  • Draw