PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 May 2023

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Fred just edges MOTM for me from DDG, Malacia and Sancho had good games as well, TBH no one really had a poor game

tjb

Few things to note.

The front 3 were very good pressing today. Really good. It really shows what we should be looking for. An athletic striker that can score goals. We already have Rashford, we just need to ensure one of Amad, Antony or Sancho can claim that right side. Kolo Muani would be really good here, but I'd also like to see Goncalo. One of the two would suffice imo.

When looking at ETH's Ajax teams, he used the width of the flanks a lot to get goals. Most goals came from out to in. We need our wingers to be able to take advantage of one on ones, but we also need a striker that can convert chances coming into the box with his head or feet. In terms of actually getting the ball into the box, a right back is a requirement. We need more width coming from that right hand side. Most of our goals this season have come from counter opportunites or moments of magic from Rashford or the midfield. Again, at Ajax, ETH had a lot of goals coming from out to in, so our flanks need to drastically improve this upcoming season.

Fred showed why he should still be in the squad. However, our midfield needs a player who is more active than Eriksen off the ball, but with a lot more quality than Fred. We have really good bones, but we need to structure it with quality. I doubt we are going to buy additonal wingers, so Antony, Sancho and Amad need to show something in preseason. Garnacho doesn't yet have the balance to be a regular, but hopefully that comes along over the summer as well.

Maguire and Mctominay need to go. I won't mind Sancho leaving too. He was ok today, but his lack of aggression on the ball doesn't fit the league or us. He still has some value. Martial is another one that needs to go. Rashford can be a back up for that striker position, plus we can always get an older player to be third choice. I trust Lindelof to back up Varane and Shaw to back up Martinez. Malacia was very good today and with a bit more growth could prove capable competition for Shaw.

RedIan

Very good first season for ETH. On wards and upwards..

FRED and DEGEA both motm contenders

Hester_manc

Good things from this season:

- We learned that Garnacho is the real deal.
- We ended in top 4 and are going to play CL-football next season.
- We won the Carabao Cup
- We are in the FA-cup final
- Martinez is a much better central defender than most of us thought
- We have a much better central midfield with Casemiro/Eriksen than we have had in a long time
- Rashford found himself again
- ETH is the best manager since Fergie
- AWB surprised many fans positive
- Liverpool did not end in top 4
- Leeds is going down
- The club is (maybe) going to be sold.

Bad things from this season:

- We were not good enough to compete for the first place in the PL
- The game against Sevilla
- Some big defeats in the league.
- Maguire was not able to find his best form.
- De Gea still loses his concentration is some games.
- We lack a number 9 more than ever.
- The club is still not sold.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

We should have scored more, and they should have scored more. 4-3 would have been a more appropriate scoreline. We need to start killing these games off next season.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Nice securing 3rd after CL qualification was assured. Although have to admit I wasnt expecting to be sharing the top 4 with Arsenal and Newcastle.

So, we gave everyone a 6 point head start on us, and ended up 9 points behind the team that had their best season for 20 years.
Its pretty impressive that we ended up where we did especially considering the 3rd game was vs Liverpool and could have been the end already at that point if we lost that. Feels like a very very long time ago now.

Kinky Melinky

3rd is the best we could do this season and we done it. Progress.
100%

It really was the absolute limit. I'd have swiped your hand off for 3rd and a Trophy at the start of the season so it's been a success. Now we just need to build effectively upon the success.

TomSkalle

All i can see is the same bad decision making on the ball, the same bad unforced passing errors.
Nothing new.
That said, a good result.

BorisManUtd

Thought we were poor until De Gea's penalty save and very good after that and until the end. Really good way to end the league season. Chelsea also got a result against Newcastle so we would have finished 3rd anyway but feels better that players did the job themselves.

75 points and that's 2nd best points tally since 2013. We also finished 4th only once since 1986 and that was in 14/15 season. All the other top 4 finishes lately tend to be 2nd and 3rd place.

Blood Mage

Our style of play needs to improve next season it's just been pure Ole ball since February. Hopefully a less disruptive pre-season and no world cup will help next season.

wangyu

I couldn’t see the game, why was Sancho good today? Just because he scored a goal or was his overall play very good as well?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Exactly. He's as close to a sure thing as it's possible to buy. And given the hundreds of millions we've paid on managing the fecking Glazer's debt over the last 18 years I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the money.
I do not get why people would not want him. He is as near a sure thing in the PL as you can get. Ones wanting cheap options from abroad hoping they will hit the ground running. The ones who want the Napoli lad. Not sure to be honest. He can look brilliant, but not sure about injuries.

caid

I couldn’t see the game, why was Sancho good today? Just because he scored a goal or was his overall play very good as well?
His overall play. Lots of clever passes, good movement, good interplay with Bruno and other around him. He was involved and present.

Rusholme Ruffian

I do not get why people would not want him. He is as near a sure thing in the PL as you can get. Ones wanting cheap options from abroad hoping they will hit the ground running. The ones who want the Napoli lad. Not sure to be honest. He can look brilliant, but not sure about injuries.
I know right?! Who cares about his value in 3 years time - if we buy someone who takes a year or two to adapt then the likes of Casemiro and Varane might be past their best. We need a top class striker NOW!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I know right?! Who cares about his value in 3 years time - if we buy someone who takes a year or two to adapt then the likes of Casemiro and Varane might be past their best. We need a top class striker NOW!
What we also need is to improve that away record. A few more points there we would have been right up there. A last minute loss at Arsenal, late loss at Brighton. Throwing away points at Spurs. Sometimes we might just have to dig in.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Good things from this season:

- We learned that Garnacho is the real deal.
- We ended in top 4 and are going to play CL-football next season.
- We won the Carling Cup
- We are in the FA-cup final
- Martinez is a much better central defender than most of us thought
- We have a much better central midfield with Casemiro/Eriksen than we have had in a long time
- Rashford found himself again
- ETH is the best manager since Fergie
- AWB surprised many fans positive
- Liverpool did not end in top 4
- Leeds is going down
- The club is (maybe) going to be sold.

Bad things from this season:

- We were not good enough to compete for the first place in the PL
- The game against Sevilla
- Some big defeats in the league.
- Maguire was not able to find his best form.
- De Gea still loses his concentration is some games.
- We lack a number 9 more than ever.
- The club is still not sold.
And some fans are still behind the times, 2012 was the last time we entered the Carling Cup!

Rusholme Ruffian

What we also need is to improve that away record. A few more points there we would have been right up there. A last minute loss at Arsenal, late loss at Brighton. Throwing away points at Spurs. Sometimes we might just have to dig in.
Late equaliser against Palace too. So many games we could and should have killed off that ended up in lost points. Genuinely think having a lethal striker will help in so many different areas.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I gave it to Fred too
But only because i forgot the penalty save somehow :lol:
I didn't forget that but Fred was involved in both goals and TBH DDG should have been claiming the ball that Maguire put out for the corner they scored from, that tipped it for me

Fully Fledged

Happy with the season as it stands. 3rd and a trophy was exceeding Expectations, add the FA cup would just add the cherry to the season.

croadyman

Pleased we have managed to finish best of rest,if I am being picky we could have given the likes of Marcus,Casa & Bruno more rest

windycityfan

I think Harry Kane would be a right daft purchase. Over 100 million for someone 30 years old would be madness.
1, this squad needs a striker. 2, we need a proven striker for Premier League level. 3, the striker market does not have the options we need to turn to next level.

That said, I’d rather splurge 100 million for Kane than 70 million for an import like Randal Kolo Muani.

Bertie Wooster

Unless it turns out there has been an injury, then that went perfectly!

Was very happy with the team selection and the use of subs - meaning none of the key players needing their minutes managed played 90 minutes and the likes of AWB, Varane and Shaw got a complete rest - and great to see Shaw fit enough to be named on the bench!

That was the perfect way to go about it while also giving us the best chance of getting the 3 points and securing 3rd place. The latter was achieved successfully, and it looks like - hopefully - we've also avoided any extra injuries.

always_hoping

Didn't get the chance to watch the game live (will watch this match later tonight) great to finish the league off with another home win that equals a club record 27 home wins in all competitions this season. Only 10 goals conceded at home in the league is very impressive also.

Fitchett

Such a short thread! A very enjoyable way to finish off a long, but successful season. Good to see how much better we are once the punishing two games a week schedule over several months had finished.

It was a really good atmosphere at Old Trafford. No need for score updates, as a chant of "Leeds are falling apart again" went up every time Tottenham scored.

We are in good shape for next Saturday!

atkar83

I'm guessing Sanchez is what scares people. Seemed a sure thing but just fell off when he got here. Mata was younger and he never lived up to the poty Chelsea player. It's far from a guarantee he won't be 2014 Rooney when he comes here on big money

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 37% of 161 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 129 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw