CL D Champions League Group A

Galatasaray 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 November 2023

redmanx

How in any way, shape or form can Onanna be considered as an "upgrade" to DDG? Each goal was down to him due to his poor positioning, poor handling and poor reflexes. Yes he saved a few, but thats what hes there for! He was signed because he was supposedly very good at distributing the ball, and certainly better than DDG at it, but Ive seen very little that says he is that much better at all!

tomaldinho1

Wasn't it Torreira that upended Lindelof? That should have been a yellow. The head on head foul to Garnacho early on should have been reviewed for possible red. It was clear Gala wanted to get dirty and the ref did not control it like he should have. There must have been at least 20 late fouls on our players from behind.
Also hacked down Antony when he was on the break with no punishment. That Garnacho incident was ridiculous as well. Lots of late tackles from them and very few cards.

redmanx

Also hacked down Antony when he was on the break with no punishment. That Garnacho incident was ridiculous as well. Lots of late tackles from them and very few cards.
And very few points for us. City would have buried the Turks before half time despite being kicked all over the park, but thats their mentality, a mentality we havent had since the day SAF retired, our lot prefer to whine about fouls, VAR and bad luck when, 99% of the time we lose because we fail to make our own luck, fail to concentrate, fail to take our chances, fail to defend and fail to play well. Uniteds wretchedness is all down to the players; Ten Hag cant hold their hands all the time or play for them...they need to man up!

tomaldinho1

And very few points for us. City would have buried the Turks before half time despite being kicked all over the park, but thats their mentality, a mentality we havent had since the day SAF retired, our lot prefer to whine about fouls, VAR and bad luck when, 99% of the time we lose because we fail to make our own luck, fail to concentrate, fail to take our chances, fail to defend and fail to play well. Uniteds wretchedness is all down to the players; Ten Hag cant hold their hands all the time or play for them...they need to man up!
I think you'll find City would have just kept the ball and then made a meal of any challenge, got a couple of the Gala players on yellow and frustrated, then dominated.

Maticmaker

Onana has a strange way of going down for low balls, anything within his body-line/shape seems to squeeze through or under him, if its high up or away from his body he saves most of them, but straight at him and it finds a way through... very strange!

Lets face it, the two saves he fluffed lost us the advantage and let them back in!

Matt Varnish

I must be a bit of a sadist because I've re-watched the game, and then watched the goals several times.
It has to be said that as a team we played well, you could tell at the end of the game that the players had put their all into that game, and were emotionally shocked at the final whistle.
They were let down by two mistakes from a keeper I've not been impressed with before he even kicked a ball for us.

Why is he stood behind the wall for the first, surely he knows that the two Gala players in the wall are going to move, giving a clear shot to his right ?
For the second he just completely fumbles it, he's actually diving away from the ball.
I was willing to give him some leeway on the third, it was a well struck shot, then I watched some video's of Neur, De Gea and others stopping shots like that.
the bloke isn't consistent enough to be a top keeper in the EPL or CL, he's Championship level at best.

After all the effort the team put in, I'm wondering what the morale will be like if they see him pulling on the #1 shirt against Newcastle, it's telling that after the final whistle that only one United player went up to him to console him, if we fail to qualify for the knockout stages it's on his shoulders.
I doubt very much anyone sat next to him on the way home.

Matt Varnish

Onana has a strange way of going down for low balls, anything within his body-line/shape seems to squeeze through or under him, if its high up or away from his body he saves most of them, but straight at him and it finds a way through... very strange!

Lets face it, the two saves he fluffed lost us the advantage and let them back in!
I would argue the opposite, he only manages to stop shots that are right at him.
After about six minutes he's seen to make what Savage called a "reflex save", it's such thing, he doesn't save it, he just happens to be stood in the way and the ball hits him!

He was supposed to be a "sweeper keeper" we've seen none of that, his distribution is terrible, nine times out of ten his long balls come straight back at us, although lately thats been stopped and he now more often passes it to a player only a couple of yards outside the area.

lex talionis

Sorry to break the news, but we need to start scouting another keeper. Keep playing Onana of course, but he maintains this “form” we need to bring in a new keeper this summer.

doomy20

Sorry to break the news, but we need to start scouting another keeper. Keep playing Onana of course, but he maintains this “form” we need to bring in a new keeper this summer.
Yes, we have to. At this rate he will have 12-15 goals on his own fault when the season ends. And even without the howlers, he looks 6.5/10 as of now. Find your form or get sold, that’s how the club needs to be run.

Matt Varnish

Yes, we have to. At this rate he will have 12-15 goals on his own fault when the season ends. And even without the howlers, he looks 6.5/10 as of now. Find your form or get sold, that’s how the club needs to be run.
6.5/10 that's generous
He's on 2.7 on my ranking
12-15 goals his fault, he'll surpass that no problem, he's on 10 for the season so far!

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Shaw flying forward at 2 up and 3 1 up, it was because of this Bruno had to track back and give 2 stupid fouls away, also the wall for the 1st goal was horrible, the 2nd goal defenders to deep, keeper was horrendous, some might say cause of the 3 definitely 2, at times it looks like he spills every shot. Thought team did wellish but winning nothing with this team. Lack of leadership is a major concern
You don't necessarily need a leader to do that, you need a manager to step up and tell the fullbacks to stop bombing like maniacs when we have 2 goals lead in a CL tie.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I can't believe how bad, in order from worse, AWB, Garnacho, Hojlund and Shaw were. I think AWB and Hojlund might still be carrying injuries.

I'm really starting to doubt ETH now. Surely, he could have switched tactics being up 3-1, but nothing changed.
What gave it away?

Lee565

Is it me or is bruno getting away with not getting criticism for his role in the second goal, he was the one that gave away a really unnecessary free kick that led to the blunder and every fan pundit was thinking the last thing we need to do after going 3 - 1 up was to give a needless freekick away outside the box after the doubt was already there about relying on onana to not fluff it up after question marks over the first free kick he let in.

It sums Fernandes up really, for all the good he can do for us, he can also be a gift to the opposition all too often as well.

Maniron

Can't add a lot to what has already been said, but nobody can complain about the entertainment we dish up on a regular basis. Any neutral watching must have been captivated by the game in comparison to some of the dross served up elsewhere

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Galatasaray 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Galatasaray 0:2 Man Utd