PL D FA Premier League

Hull City 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 May 2015

yamo123x

Attitude has to be questioned today, Rooney on alleged 300k a week never broke sweat.

If we think this team can compete with the best in Europe then we are kidding ourselves.

We have injury prone players, players with no heart or fight.
We have many who are simply not good enough.

Positives- well Valdes made a few saves, Valencia used his left foot twice
Meh that's about it!

Kakeru

U-N-P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L

That's the only word to remember about today's shower of shite.

diarm

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that was up there with the poorest quality matches I've ever watched United involved in.

There may have been games where the opponent was worse than Hull were today. There may have been matches where United were worse than we were today.

But I can't remember watching a game where both teams were quite so sh!te. Woeful defending at times, only defeated by the least imaginative attacking play imaginable. Neither team strung more than a few passes together before a poor touch or shocking pass lost possession. Some horrible, nasty little pieces of thuggery and from us anyway, a fairly pathetic lack of effort all round.

Do some our players not think they have a fight on their hands for a future at this club? Have they been given some reassurances that they don't deserve?

Van Gaal needs to accept that at this level, his philosophy is only going to work with centrebacks who are comfortable and technically good on the ball, a dominant and technically superb midfield, top class fullbacks and a world class attacking 3.

Either he brings in players capable of carrying it out or he needs to change his philosophy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Valdes looked good apart from on crosses as most would have guessed really. Great reflexes though. Valencia, Herrera, and the center backs did well... The rest all looked like they were on holiday.

Rooney's always been one of my favourite players but there's always been this nagging feeling that he's a bit of a hinderance, as he will always start as he should, but then he's not at the top level as a striker anymore and he's not a midfielder.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This thread is not needed. There are zero things we can take from that game and the sooner we all forget it happened, the better.

stu_1992

Pretty shite match, not too surprising considering we had nothing to play for. Fellaini stamp was a disgrace. Deserves every bit of the ban he gets for that. What was he thinking, it's not like it was even a high emotion game. Shocking. That Abel Hernandez punch was a ridiculous too, how was that missed. Will surely get a ban, not that it matters now.

Only thing we learned from this game really is that Valdes looks a very good shot stopper. Did look a bit shaky on crosses into the box though, especially for that offside Hull goal.

LLMU

Deflated performance. We need to find a replacement for Carrick. Without him, we are a miserable team to watch

OneUnited24

Since we won vs City the players have effectively been on holiday playing each game like a exhibition match... I would be annoyed but given now our season has gone i'm just happy we're back in the UCL

marlowe78

If we had made a decent or very strong run in the last games of the season, I would just write today off but this is more of the same. Since beating City, we've scored 0 goals against Chelsea, 0 against Everton, 0 against West Brom, 2 against Palace, 1 against Arsenal, and 0 against Hull. This is quite simply relegation level stuff and it's no coincidence that we've had problems scoring ever since Morinho had the sense to park the bus. We had the good run against City, Liverpool, etc. because those teams happen to set up in a way that gives us space to create chances. The run of games since has shown our complete lack of ability to break defensive teams down and a gameplan that puts so much emphasis on possession that we don't take chances when they're obviously in front of us.

Everyone, outside of Valdes and maybe Januzaj on a few of his runs, was poor today. IMO we've done absolutely nothing this season to deserve treating a game like it's a training session. There are players on the squad who are competing for a place next season and no one seems to be assed about it. Our 'stars' were also bad in application. Rooney, TBF, wasn't getting much from the players behind him but he hardly did anything else to make himself noticed, other than turning over the ball. I can only shake my head at Fellaini, after he goes an entire season without doing something stupid, he completes the year with another red card. I can talk about our setup and ask why in feck Young was playing centrally but there are other threads for that.

I felt very optimistic after we beat City but that has been considerably sapped by these last few games. Our road form and our play against these poor sides is very concerning and needs to be improved tenfold if we're to have any shot of competing with Chelsea/City/Arsenal next year. DDG needs to be resigned somehow and middling players like Valencia, Jones, Evans, and all of the players on loan need to be gotten rid of. We're a club that spent millions last summer and to see us coming onto the pitch with such a deficient lineup is a joke.

Last edited:

m1tch

It meant nothing but it's disappointing to end with a performance like that.

facund

I can't help but doubt the character of the team, no drive or courage in any of our play and it is not the first time we have seen that. We look like a corpse of a team at times, structurally in tact but no life or heart.

What is the point of a captain if not to inspire the team and set an example, not just a dig at Rooney as I struggle to think of anyone more fitting from the current bunch.

We need to bring a few leaders in to the team or we will see this kind of game plenty next season.

Valdes the only genuine silver lining with some great saves, the aerial issues can be coached out of him, to an extent, if he sticks around. As we did with De Gea.

jeff_goldblum

Poor game in general, would have liked to see us go out in style but I guess this'll give the manager and players a kick up the arse. We're not out of the woods yet and we have go into next season stronger and more determined.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't know why everyone is getting worked up.

Sure, everyone but Valdes was utter shite but who cares? It's completely normal to switch off when there's nothing to play for.

Hit It

Just no confidence today. We seem to shit ourselves when the opposition come into press us. Show some bravery and enjoy playing the game. I see alot of fear in these players at the moment and some just do not have the quality to play LVG's system. I expect some changes for next season and Depay is a good start.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Nothing surprising today, Hull were fighting for their lives while we had nothing to play for. It was obviously a poor performance but on the other hand, i can understand why the Hull City players showed so much more urgency in terms of work rate on the pitch.

Fellaini's red card was disgraceful, a really bad way to end a season in which he proved to be quite useful to LvG's plans. Valdes had a couple of awkward moments when he had to deal with long balls but he also made two great reflex saves on his line. Young in the midfield was another failed experiment which showed that we need real strengthening there since the only functional midfield triplet we've got is Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini. Rooney summed up the season all our forwards had. All of them managed to score only 19 PL goals throughout the season (Wayne has scored only four goals as a forward).

One other thing is that with this draw we ended the season with only 6 wins in 19 away games this season (our record is 6-8-5). Except for the game against Liverpool, who have won eight away games, our performances in the other five games we won away from home (Arsenal, Southampton, QPR, Newcastle and Crystal Palace) were hardly convincing.

SoCross

Herrera came out with some credit to me. As did the back 5. Rest was shit on a stick

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nothing surprising today, Hull were fighting for their lives while we had nothing to play for. It was obviously a poor performance but on the other hand, i can understand why the Hull City players showed so much more urgency in terms of work rate on the pitch.

Fellaini's red card was disgraceful, a really bad way to end a season in which he proved to be quite useful to LvG's plans. Valdes had a couple of awkward moments when he had to deal with long balls but he also made two great reflex saves on his line. Young in the midfield was another failed experiment which showed that we need real strengthening there since the only functional midfield triplet we've got is Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini. Rooney summed up the season all our forwards had. All of them managed to score only 19 PL goals throughout the season (Wayne has scored only four goals as a forward).

One other thing is that with this draw we ended the season with only 6 wins in 19 away games this season (our record is 6-8-5). Except for the game against Liverpool, who have won eight away games, our performances in the other five games we won away from home (Arsenal, Southampton, QPR, Newcastle and Crystal Palace) were hardly convincing.
We need to be more adventurous away from home and turn some of those draws into wins.

Fully Fledged

Our form away from home has been atrocious this season. We don't look like creating chances against some of the worst teams in the league on their grounds. This is something that has to be addressed over the closed season if we are to move on and actually challenge for trophies next year.

WyoManU

Another poor performance. I would guess well over half of this seasons performances mirrored what we saw today. LVG has a lot of work to do in the summer.

Raw

Singing non stop for 90 minutes, how has this not been mentioned yet? One of the best away atmospheres I've been to in a long time. Was basically non stop George Best song.
It was fantastic, stupid commentators thought it was the Hull fans. I think near the end they were like 'Oh NOW you can hear the United fans'.

Gerald G

There's not much I take from this game. Poor performance but it's like the players weren't asked and looking at our team on paper it didn't look great.

I thought Smalling and Jones were good today, especially Smalling. My MOTM and coming out as a true leader. The squad clearly needs new players and we need to try and keep our best players fit next year.

We've achieved the bare minimum this year and hopefully next season we press on. Go for a trophy and challenge for the title.

Raw

Hull fans were shite. Considering the circumstances, they were poor.
Yeah it was more nail-biting and nervousness than actually getting behind their team.

There was one moment where it seems like someone tricked them into thinking West Ham had equalised though :lol:

Lentwood

Looked in real need today of a proper "target man" of a centre forward. I know when I say target man alarm bells might start ringing with some people but I don't mean some massive lump we aimlessly smash the ball up to. I think what we do need is somebody who can provide a goal threat from balls into the box but more importantly somebody who we can play the ball into early and for them to actually hold it and bring others into play. Every time we pass forward the inevitable result is that it comes straight back at us. Rooney is as guilty as anybody seems to be obsessed with trying to test his strength against the centre halves and loses every time.

Crashoutcassius

Victor Valdes is dodgy as feck, some nice snappy saves but jesus do we really need another spanish goalkeeper project under the crosses?

Actually thought the game was gonna liven up when we brought fellaini on, we can't play without the man. Pretty Dumb leaving the foot in on the challenge, can only guess he saw the punch on jones and was a bit hot under the collar. Niall Quinn on the commentary a bit over the time, it was a bit clumsy but not sure there was ever a question of fellaini kneeing him in the face on purpose. Still some nice ammunition for the fifa managers here to derate him

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 349 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Hull City 0:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Hull City 0:3 Man Utd