LC W League Cup Semi-final 1st Leg

Manchester United 2:0 Hull City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 10 January 2017

Shimo

Valencia only one that ever showed urgency it seemed the whole match. Crowd was flat from the beginning and the players never gave them anything to really get them revved up. That said - a comfortable win and thank goodness for Fellaini and Darmian ! Glad Mourinho mentioned that the players and the fans need to take it up a lot for Sunday - we'll get tonked if we play at that lethargic pace.

Pogba just had to laugh, seems he is destined not to score from a freekick.

stu_1992

Pleased to see we got a decent result in the end, but I expected more. Could have really put it to bed, though it's highly unlikely they'll come back from that. Only saw some highlights, but we definitely had chances to score more.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pretty uninspiring pedestrian performance imo. More like a glorified training match than the real thing. We must improve if we are to do well at the weekend.

Nakhon Phanom

We won but it was a bit of a disjointed performance against a hard working Hull side.
Mata was MOM and Valencia and Jones did OK but there were too many average performances.
I thought Rooney was poor again and Pogba had one of those games when he looked like a loan player from Nancy,although it was an excellent free kick that hit the post.
But cant be too critical.We are almost at Wembley and the players should have plenty left in the tank for Liverpool on Sunday.

Carolina Red

Staff
When the match started it looked like we were going 4-4-2 with a Rooney-Rashford partnership. Was anyone expecting (or disappointed) that we didn't go 4-4-2 with a Rashford-Martial strike partnership up top when Anthony got subbed on?

I'd love to see those 2 work up front together.. Thought today would be the day when I saw the sub happening.

ti vu

When the match started it looked like we were going 4-4-2 with a Rooney-Rashford partnership. Was anyone expecting (or disappointed) that we didn't go 4-4-2 with a Rashford-Martial strike partnership up top when Anthony got subbed on?

I'd love to see those 2 work up front together.. Thought today would be the day when I saw the sub happening.
Not for today. We really need comfortable scoreline while Hull was damage controlling. The way Hull set up, Martial and Rashford would be lost among that many bodies. We need Martial to stretch the play on the wing (he did well for Darmian cross leading to Fellaini's goal). We also need to rest Mkhi and Mata for weekend.

I hope they can get their chance together in the return leg where Hull would need to come out more/ abandon the game altogether to focus on the league.

Carolina Red

Staff
Not for today. We really need comfortable scoreline while Hull was damage controlling. The way Hull set up, Martial and Rashford would be lost among that many bodies. We need Martial to stretch the play on the wing (he did well for Darmian cross leading to Fellaini's goal). We also need to rest Mkhi and Mata for weekend.

I hope they can get their chance together in the return leg where Hull would need to come out more/ abandon the game altogether to focus on the league.
Good point about Hull shutting up shop deep on the pitch.

Agreed about the second leg though. Draw them out and let those two hit them on the counter.

Roosney

Nice game, a bit slow tempo but still a good performance.
Hull were surprisingly good in the opening minutes, controlled the game for good bit there.

Havak

Pokemon master
Game went pretty much as expected. Damage limitation from Hull to keep it alive for the second leg. 2-0 is probably just enough for Hull to still think they're in the tie, but for us it was the minimum requirement that I believe has seen us through already.

Hull rarely keep clean sheets, so when they open up the game a little bit more you have to know we will score there. This means Hull need to beat us 4-1 to get through (although they would take the tie to extra time with a 3-1 win).

Just can't see them doing that, I don't fancy any team to knock more than two past us at the moment. Maybe Jose will now have to rest just 2-3 players in the away leg rather than 4-5, but as long as we win the trophy, who cares?

Job done. Momentum kept and onto Liverpool.

Alabaster Codify7

Didn't really enjoy that game. Just felt a bit 'flat' all round, really. I thought Rashford would be nailed on for at least one against a patchwork Hull defence but a win is a win. We were pretty wasteful in front of goal at times.

The game isnt really 'put to bed' now, so the second leg will be a bit of a slog but I can see us winning 1-0 there.

Onto the biggest game of the season. Gonna be a really tense game on Sunday, a win would be gigantic for us and a huge blow for them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not exactly are most exciting performance of the season (!) but not sure Hull ever intended to make a game of it which doesn't help. I think it reiterated (as if most of us here need that), how much better we are when Carrick plays and just why we need a marquee player up top at times. As promising as Rashford is, he has a long way to go before he beoome as Ruud/Ronaldo type goal scorer - or even a younger Rooney.

rpg

Rashford looked isolated during the first half, partly because Rooney playing behind him, and makes me realise Zlatan job wasn't easy at all so far. And can't Pogba just visualize the goal post half a feet narrower? How many times he hits the post this season.

Roosney

Didn't really enjoy that game. Just felt a bit 'flat' all round, really. I thought Rashford would be nailed on for at least one against a patchwork Hull defence but a win is a win. We were pretty wasteful in front of goal at times.

The game isnt really 'put to bed' now, so the second leg will be a bit of a slog but I can see us winning 1-0 there.

Onto the biggest game of the season. Gonna be a really tense game on Sunday, a win would be gigantic for us and a huge blow for them.
In what way you didn't enjoy it?

Jaxdan

It wasn't all that pretty, but I'll take 2-0 wins from here on out. Another match where we had 20+ shots, with a little better luck its easily 4-0. Rooney's near miss shot across the mouth and far post and Pogba's free kick clanger off the inside post that missed by an inch or two of going in. But it is what it is, glad to see we are getting results.

Jaxdan

Loved the Fellaini celebration.

Some of the abuse he has got throughout his United career has been unacceptable. Happy for him to score today.
I'm not a Fellaini fan in particular, though as long as he wears the badge I pull for him to do well like any of them. I was really happy for him yesterday. Great to see the positive response all around by most. Class.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- Didn't really get the point in making a point of fielding a strong team, if the team was then going to play as if the game was too important for them to be playing in. Glad Jose politely called them up on it in his post match comments. Probably means he not so politely called them up on it in private.

- Was Pogba drunk?

- Do we actually practice finishing in training at all? How come we're so bad at it? How do you manage to pass the ball wide from the edge of the six yard box? How do you somehow turn two people being through on goal at the same time into the ball rolling into the goalkeeper's hands and the offside flag going up? It's almost like a comedy show at times.

- Looked like we were more focused on conserving ourselves for Liverpool really. I mean fine as we got the result but if it hadn't been for the late goal it would have looked a bit silly.

- Who would have thought that bringing on Fellaini to head crosses into the goal (the one thing he's actually undeniably good at) and not just run around looking useless, would result in him heading a cross into the goal and not looking useless?

- Can't actually complain too much when it's 9 wins in a row. It still could have been 4-0 if we could actually finish.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
- Didn't really get the point in making a point of fielding a strong team, if the team was then going to play as if the game was too important for them to be playing in. Glad Jose politely called them up on it in his post match comments. Probably means he not so politely called them up on it in private.

- Was Pogba drunk?

- Do we actually practice finishing in training at all? How come we're so bad at it? How do you manage to pass the ball wide from the edge of the six yard box? How do you somehow turn two people being through on goal at the same time into the ball rolling into the goalkeeper's hands and the offside flag going up? It's almost like a comedy show at times.

- Looked like we were more focused on conserving ourselves for Liverpool really. I mean fine as we got the result but if it hadn't been for the late goal it would have looked a bit silly.

- Who would have thought that bringing on Fellaini to head crosses into the goal (the one thing he's actually undeniably good at) and not just run around looking useless, would result in him heading a cross into the goal and not looking useless?

- Can't actually complain too much when it's 9 wins in a row. It still could have been 4-0 if we could actually finish.
Something we've heard a lot this season. Our inability to put away really good chances will come back to haunt us. Amazing how few goals we're scoring considering the number and quality of opportunities in every game.

Jaxdan

Something we've heard a lot this season. Our inability to put away really good chances will come back to haunt us. Amazing how few goals we're scoring considering the number and quality of opportunities in every game.
It already has haunted us early on. Still, 6-0 score line over last two games while resting our main striker and others, I'll take it. More goals will come if we keep getting that many shots on goal.

unitedforeveral

I think we were a little shaky in our game against Hull because our midfield changed. We moved from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1. We pushed Pogba back and played with a more creative front 4. For some reason Rashford was not so good leading the line. MkhiT and Mata did a lot of work in the first half. Zlatan could have done a lot for us but if you remember Zlatan from 10 games ago, even he was shocking with his finishing. I'm just thrilled because we are still able to grind results even after all those missed chances and mistakes. Jones has really impressed me, he has worked so well with all his partners (Bailly, Rojo, Smalling) and that's something Fergie anticipated when he signed him. This team is gonna go places and there is no doubt about it. We have game, we keep possession well and in the opponent half. Sometimes i feel we are as good as Barca/Madrid. Tempo is our only problem right now and soon we're gonna impress in European levels. Cheers. #ggmu

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
unless it ended 4-0 I don't think Mou would play a weak team away from home against a team with nothing to lose in a semifinal cup competition.
The same team that is battling for relegation and is riddled with injuries? They have PL to worry about and would rather save their players than chasing 0-2 result against us without much hope of doing anything. I'd feel pretty confident with resting key players, and it's not like we'll field a weak team in that case anyway.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I hope everyone shuts up and stop counting the damn successive wins.
Why?
For the last 3 years we have seen so many mentions of negative records. Now that we are doing well, I want to see the positive stats/records being mentioned.

I have had 3 years of negativity. Now lets have some positivity.

Mihai

It showed how important Zlatan is to our attack.
Was thinking the same.

We've had some dangerous crosses and I'm sure Zlatan would've put at least one of those in the back of the net. Like the one when Pogba left it to Micky.

ChaddyP

The same team that is battling for relegation and is riddled with injuries? They have PL to worry about and would rather save their players than chasing 0-2 result against us without much hope of doing anything. I'd feel pretty confident with resting key players, and it's not like we'll field a weak team in that case anyway.
I'm confident Jose will put out a very string team despite what you just typed

noodlehair

"It's like..."
What are you on about?
I lost count of the number of times he played a pass up the pitch to absolutely no one or lost the ball in the middle of the pitch by just fumbling aimlessly around as if he'd lost control of his limbs. There was the occasional moment where he did something really good but his overall performance was oafish and baffling.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I lost count of the number of times he played a pass up the pitch to absolutely no one or lost the ball in the middle of the pitch by just fumbling aimlessly around as if he'd lost control of his limbs. There was the occasional moment where he did something really good but his overall performance was oafish and baffling.
Disagree totally. Think that's an unfair judgement on his game. He was our stalwart in midfield, showed good vision and provided some exquisite passing. Struck the post with his free kick.

Came second with 19% for MOTM on here behind Mata, and was second highest rated player post-match also...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Disagree totally. Think that's an unfair judgement on his game. He was our stalwart in midfield, showed good vision and provided some exquisite passing. Struck the post with his free kick.

Came second with 19% for MOTM on here behind Mata, and was second highest rated player post-match also...
He played like an oaf. The free kick was good and there were a few excellent passes, particularly the one to Rooney...but everything else was oafish and drunk like by his standards. This place isn't the most reliable when it comes to things like this.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think Pogba was in second gear. Wasn't too bad and should have had a goal and an assist, but I think he was saving himself for Sunday.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
He played like an oaf. The free kick was good and there were a few excellent passes, particularly the one to Rooney...but everything else was oafish and drunk like by his standards. This place isn't the most reliable when it comes to things like this.
Oafish and drunk like..okay then. Agree to disagree.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 427 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 42% Man Utd 3:0 Hull City
  • 21% Man Utd 2:0 Hull City