CL W Champions League Group H

Juventus 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 07 November 2018

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Liverpool just lost to Red Star, Spurs' comeback against PSV is basically the same, and Chelsea didn't qualify for the competition because they're too good for it. City though? Now you're taking the piss.
Dont mind him, he's one of those that has an overarching theory of all that is football and when something happens in the real world that contradicts it he has to get the gears turning and explain it away.

Its absolute nonsense to even include Spurs in that, they have been ordinary in the league and lost to Inter who are worse than Juventus.

Seven Seas Sardines

Juventus hit the post once from Khedira's shot mate.
Potato Po-ta-to. Cuadrado's open goal, Dybala's shot hitting the bar, Khedira hitting the post, Pjanic big miss in the area and his long drive from 40 yards. That's five occasions where they hit the woodwork or was milimetres from it. And that's just counting big misses from the top of my head. Juve had 23 fecking shots.
@Seven Seas Sardines didn't watch the match?

Did you see us hit the woodwork in the OT game?
Wtf are you on about?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Potato Po-ta-to. Cuadrado's open goal, Dybala's shot hitting the bar, Khedira hitting the post, Pjanic big miss in the area and his long drive from 40 yards. That's five occasions where they hit the woodwork or was milimetres from it. And that's just counting big misses from the top of my head. Juve had 23 fecking shots.
Sorry mate, my post was just about the post.

City also peppered our goal last season but we still won 3-2. I'll take that again.

MrBest

Martial has so much talent, I feel like Jose wasted 10 months of his career dropping him for Sanchez. He was as good this time last year right through till mid Jan.

RedDevilRoshi

That’s football for you.
They only have themselves to blame for not taking their chances. We took ours when they arose and rightly so won the game.

Similar to the 3-2 Man City game last season.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
No idea how we won that game. But we played a lot better than two weeks ago and there seems to be a team spirit in the camp the past few games.

Seven Seas Sardines

@breakout67 @RedDevilRoshi

Yeah, my point was that the ones praising this as a Mourinho masterclass and saying we'll do the same at Emptihad are fooling themselves. If we play the same this weekend we'll lose, we can't always rely on luck and poor finishing while parking the bus for 80 minutes and 25 shots.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Delighted we won but let’s be honest, we really really rode our luck.
At least we seem to have a bit of spirit and resilience which should stand to us as the season goes on.
Hope we put in a performance next Sunday now!

Brightonian

Yeah, we've seen Mourinho clinically create these kind of results before, especially at Chelsea, but this wasn't that. We played ok and kept going to the end, which is obviously important, but we were lucky not to be down by more. We'll need to play more positively than this to get anything against City.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
City, Spurs, Liverpool even Chelsea would turn this Juventus team over. They're a very good side but with the way some of our fans were talking you'd have thought we were playing prime Barcelona of 2011.
:lol::lol::lol:

Spurs lost to Juve just last season. You have to be a City fan.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yeah, we've seen Mourinho clinically create these kind of results before, especially at Chelsea, but this wasn't that. We played ok and kept going to the end, which is obviously important, but we were lucky not to be down by more. We'll need to play more positively than this to get anything against City.
Literally every team has been guilty of bad finishing. Is it unlucky if its so common? Just the other both Bournemouth and ourselves played a game where it could have ended 5-5. Its part and parcel of the game. If you're missing chances, theres no luck involved.

Willyswords

there are a lot of stupid fans in this forum celebrating the win. No doubt a win is a win. but do these guys see how bad we played?

Lingard in attacking midfield again? Matic continued his poor poor form and not being substituted? What an awful 80 minutes for Man Utd until funny Allegri used 5 centre backs and gave up midfield control that caused their game.

No fantasy. Again another game ruined by stupidity of both managers. You dare to watch these nights after nights ?

Brightonian

Literally every team has been guilty of bad finishing. Is it unlucky if its so common? Just the other both Bournemouth and ourselves played a game where it could have ended 5-5. Its part and parcel of the game. If you're missing chances, theres no luck involved.
I'm not having a go - as I said, I thought we played reasonably well. Just saying we can't expect to repeat the trick against City as this wasn't exactly a perfectly executed game plan, just a combination of luck, grit and good substitutions.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I have just noticed some of our fans questioning Lindelof defending for Ronaldo’s goal.
Jesus wept!
If any United player was at fault it was Pogba who stood off Bonucci and allowed him ping a beautiful ball into Ronaldo.
Nothing to do with Lindelof.

manunited1919

Genuinely, is Rashford a worse finisher than Welbeck? Is that even possible?
He is terrible at one on ones, but decent when he doesn’t have time to thin too much. We need RVN to coach him on one on ones. He needs to learn to be ruthless. It’s mental issue plus control.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I have just noticed some of our fans questioning Lindelof defending for Ronaldo’s goal.
Jesus wept!
If any United player was at fault it was Pogba who stood off Bonucci and allowed him ping a beautiful ball into Ronaldo.
Nothing to do with Lindelof.
He'd do well to keep Ronnie on the outside there, to be fair.

OldSchoolManc

there are a lot of stupid fans in this forum celebrating the win. No doubt a win is a win. but do these guys see how bad we played?

Lingard in attacking midfield again? Matic continued his poor poor form and not being substituted? What an awful 80 minutes for Man Utd until funny Allegri used 5 centre backs and gave up midfield control that caused their game.

No fantasy. Again another game ruined by stupidity of both managers. You dare to watch these nights after nights ?
You are 100% NOT a United fan and I claim my £5

Feedingseagulls

So did anyone else see significance in the way Mate celebrated his goal? Straight over to the bench to exchange congratulatory hugs. The latter often seems to indicate a move that has been worked on in training or a specific piece of advice/intelligence that had been shared.

Looking at it, the actual shot is much quicker following the dummy than you often see, which suggests practice on timing... I think that there may have been some work on angles of running and the effect on predictabil8ty and visibility from the keepers perspective.

Add it all up and it looks like some serious work was done to produce an attacking option that is fairly flexible, and this was the first fruit of that effort.

Or maybe I just feel over-optimistic tonight. :)

Denis79

Just enjoy a wonderful win. No team is going to outplay Juventus in Turin this season, so just enjoy the result.

SER19

So did anyone else see significance in the way Mate celebrated his goal? Straight over to the bench to exchange congratulatory hugs. The latter often seems to indicate a move that has been worked on in training or a specific piece of advice/intelligence that had been shared.

Looking at it, the actual shot is much quicker following the dummy than you often see, which suggests practice on timing... I think that there may have been some work on angles of running and the effect on predictabil8ty and visibility from the keepers perspective.

Add it all up and it looks like some serious work was done to produce an attacking option that is fairly flexible, and this was the first fruit of that effort.

Or maybe I just feel over-optimistic tonight. :)
I might be mistaken but i think it was the goalkeeping coach he went to so you may be onto something regarding keeper perspective

Cantonagotmehere

I get the feeling people are downplaying our performance actually. Sure Juve had good chances, they’re a top team at home. But we never looked inferior or out of the game which is the thing I was most pleased with- we were able to have a good match & not play cowardly- first half in particular I was really impressed with us.
For sure. If they can’t get today, they’ll never get it.

bdspeedy

Put your swords away Willy and enjoy the win. I thought we looked pretty good but were lucky to win. We've been unlucky far too many times the past few years. Maybe our fortunes are changing.

Last edited:

Terminator

Spotted the Liverpool fan.

Cantonagotmehere

Yeah, my point was that the ones praising this as a Mourinho masterclass and saying we'll do the same at Emptihad are fooling themselves. If we play the same this weekend we'll lose, we can't always rely on luck and poor finishing while parking the bus for 80 minutes and 25 shots.
Park the bus 80 minutes tonight? Hahahahaha. Delusional.

haram

Just watched the replay as I missed it live. Proud of the players :devil:.

haram

City, Spurs, Liverpool even Chelsea would turn this Juventus team over. They're a very good side but with the way some of our fans were talking you'd have thought we were playing prime Barcelona of 2011.
Bullshit. Liverpool couldn’t beat Napoli and Juve knocked Spurs out last year. Juventus have since added Ronaldo.

The crooked corner of his mouth gets me...ah feck that's hilarious.
Me too it’s hilarious :lol:

RedDevil@84

It is posts like these that make no sense. Even when the team does not play ultra defensively, the same old terms like "defensive methods" "park the bus" "playing for a draw" keeps getting thrown around.
It is as if some people don't watch any matches and just keep reading some kind of rhetoric about Jose in media.

The other day against Bournemouth, we were getting split open every few minutes and someone posted that Jose's defensive methods were causing it. Huh??

RedDevil@84

Yes. I was surprised how fast Mata took it almost immediately after Young stepped over the ball

Mr PG

The same Liverpool who got hammered 2-0 by Red Belgrade....

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Not the best way to make friends here! Enjoy the win, Willy it was a good one.

To be fair, I thought Utd played very well. No major stand out player, but you played as team brilliantly and it is clear that Mou has the confidence of the dressing room, the effort and performances they have been putting in recently are impressive.

Lingard was a bit off, but he's just coming back from injury. Lindelof who has had a lot of grief on these forums looks like he is maturing into the position really well. Matic even had a better game than he has recently, off the ball his positioning to drop back and help contain Ronnie was really effective on the ball he is still rusty but that will come.

From a neutral point of view in that first half you played pretty much toe to toe with Juve, you had a serious wobble after their goal (which was amazing) but then the structure and team ethic quickly came back and you kept pushing right to the end. Mata's free kick looked like it had been worked on in training and the second goal, well every team in the world needs some luck at some point.

The point is that that was a proper United performance against one of the best in Europe, where the vast majority of teams get beat. Players who people had thought had fallen out with Mou like Martial and Shaw were brilliant and everyone on that pitch worked for the team.

There are so many positives to take from that game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well fecking done. Juventus weren't all that and we didn't give them the undue respect they deserved. What I liked is that it always looked like a game we could win rather than one we hoped to be in.

Good job - Mourinho, players and all involved.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Not the best way to make friends here! Enjoy the win, Willy it was a good one.

To be fair, I thought Utd played very well. No major stand out player, but you played as team brilliantly and it is clear that Mou has the confidence of the dressing room, the effort and performances they have been putting in recently are impressive.

Lingard was a bit off, but he's just coming back from injury. Lindelof who has had a lot of grief on these forums looks like he is maturing into the position really well. Matic even had a better game than he has recently, off the ball his positioning to drop back and help contain Ronnie was really effective on the ball he is still rusty but that will come.

From a neutral point of view in that first half you played pretty much toe to toe with Juve, you had a serious wobble after their goal (which was amazing) but then the structure and team ethic quickly came back and you kept pushing right to the end. Mata's free kick looked like it had been worked on in training and the second goal, well every team in the world needs some luck at some point.

The point is that that was a proper United performance against one of the best in Europe, where the vast majority of teams get beat. Players who people had thought had fallen out with Mou like Martial and Shaw were brilliant and everyone on that pitch worked for the team.

There are so many positives to take from that game.
Nice to have a neutral viee on things and I agree with a lot of what you have said.

As I said earlier if that game had finished 1-0 to Juve I wouldn't have had any complaints. We battled for every ball and had the courage to have a go at them.

Compare that to a couple of weeks ago and the difference is huge and most definitely a step in the right direction. We also didn't have to wait until the second half to be able to see that sort of intent.

Moving forwards, Sunday is likely to be even tougher, but if we approach it with the same attitude then I'll be happy. The last thing we all want to see now is a revert to type performance and being scared to put a foot on the ball and play.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 411 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Juventus win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Juventus 2:0 Man Utd
  • 14% Juventus 1:1 Man Utd