CL W Champions League Group H

Juventus 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 07 November 2018

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We were lucky and that is how some football matches go. However, I saw more improvement in our attack and this continues a trend for about a month. More and more, we are seeing quick combinations between 2, 3 and 4 players that is attractive and effective. Mou, please keep this trend and I will become a fan.

I'm not too confident going to City, but I expect a decent showing based on these trends.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Tbh, the whole “we were absolutely shat on and then got lucky” narrative is nonsense, and I’m firmly in the anti-Jose camp*, with no reason to twist anything to be needlessly positive. We gave a pretty good account of ourselves in the first half, where the only real chance they had was that Khedeira effot, and where Sanchez was only a whisker away from connecting to a Matic through ball for us too...

Then in the second there was 25 minute period where they completely dominated after their goal, which is often par for big teams tbf - momentum and all that - and a lot of which came on the counter attack as we pushed for an equaliser - which is also precisely how Rashford got 1 on 1, in what was easily the best chance of the whole game, but that apparently doesn’t count as much, because, reasons? - so the idea it was a complete shithouse is unfair.

We still didn’t play particularly well, or deserve to win per say, but we also didn’t do “nothing” and the fawning over Juve, who weren’t particularly incredible and haven’t even won anything important yet is a bit bizarre. *especially by our manager! Who literally can’t help himself in trying to present as the underdog in every situation.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Liverpool beat PSG who are stronger than Juventus. Spurs are stronger than any team juve have faced this season apart from us.
In a one off game of course they could win.
First of all PSG aren't stronger than Juve.

Secondly, in an one off game, anyone could beat anyone. However we are going by evidence and the evidence is that teams which are lower than Juve in Italian League easily defeated Spurs and Liverpool, so as usual you're making a stupid point.

Toddler

We were not the better team obviously but we nicked the win. Awesome. Solid play from us most of the game, without much penetration. We had our weak moments, especially after Ronaldos goal. They could have scored it to 3-0. But they did not and we fought back.

All in all I don't think we necessarily deserved to win but there was a good performance there considering everything.

Matic, Lingard and Young are not good enough.

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tbh, the whole “we were absolutely shat on and then got lucky” narrative is nonsense, and I’m firmly in the anti-Jose camp*, with no reason to twist anything to be needlessly positive. We gave a pretty good account of ourselves in the first half, where the only real chance they had was that Khedeira effot, and where Sanchez was only a whisker away from connecting to a Matic through ball for us too...

Then in the second there was 25 minute period where they completely dominated after their goal, which is often par for big teams tbf - momentum and all that - and a lot of which came on the counter attack as we pushed for an equaliser - which is also precisely how Rashford got 1 on 1, in what was easily the best chance of the whole game, but that apparently doesn’t count as much, because, reasons? - so the idea it was a complete shithouse is unfair.

We still didn’t play particularly well, or deserve to win per say, but we also didn’t do “nothing” and the fawning over Juve, who weren’t particularly incredible and haven’t even won anything important yet is a bit bizarre. *especially by our manager! Who literally can’t help himself in trying to present as the underdog in every situation.
That sums up how I feel. We were not brilliant but let's not pretend Juventus were either. They were nowhere near as impressive as I'd expect the best side in Europe to be, which I suppose they aren't yet. This notion that they battered is incorrect. They had a phase of domination due the swing the match took with the goal and us losing our concentration. For the rest of the game I felt we were comfortable.

Either way, that was a smashing result and I felt we played fairly well for good chunks of the game

fergieisold

there are a lot of stupid fans in this forum celebrating the win. No doubt a win is a win. but do these guys see how bad we played?

Lingard in attacking midfield again? Matic continued his poor poor form and not being substituted? What an awful 80 minutes for Man Utd until funny Allegri used 5 centre backs and gave up midfield control that caused their game.

No fantasy. Again another game ruined by stupidity of both managers. You dare to watch these nights after nights ?
Wow, some people have such incredibly low footballing IQs it's a wonder they can find the right channel to even watch the football!

moodyred

Don't jinx us man. :p

But I know where you are coming from. The mentality of the team is incredible. Such a shame that they did not fight harder in the OT-leg.
At the time, although we could come back against the likes of Newcastle, I think the players lacked belief that they could do Juve in the same way. After we played CFC and did it to them as well, I think the players (and manager) slowly grew their belief that they can do amazing comebacks, even against the top teams.

I'd like to see how our players respond if we are 1-0 down at HT, at the Emptihad. Do they have the ability to dismantle MCFC in the 2nd half? Do we dare to believe?
Agreed. It is amazing how different the team looks with confidence and belief. We dare to believe. :)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
But why the hell would you take one sentence (in fact, worse still, part of a sentence) and respond to it? Like, it’s quite obviously apparent they are superior to us. But that’s not what the post was about. So no real value in affirming it.

Anyway, yes, I was indeed lamenting that our players now feel like they’ve taken down a giant they aren’t in the same class with, and they are right. The fact they talk like that and the fact they are not wrong is what’s sad. Sad that it’s got to this point.
Well, because it's the part that stood out. Why else would i do it. The wording threw me off, that's all. It was you saying that the interviews made it sound like they are a superior side, as opposed to YOU thinking they were a superior side. I'm not saying you don't think that, just the wording of it that's all. No big deal.

I mean, whatever. We fecking won, that's all i care about.

Walters_19_MuFc

Which game were you watching?
Probably the game at Old Trafford.

We were by no means great, and had Juve finished their chances, it could have definitely been a different story, but I wouldn't say we were terrible.

With the win being the most obvious positive to take out the game, the fact that we kept the ball better, pressed higher up the pitch, looked better as unit and held our own against a very good Juve side are massive positives to take from the game.

Cantonagotmehere

I was listening to 'Grumpy Pundits' on US Sat radio this AM. Man the one guy hates Jose and United. No credit for anything and saying United parked the bus. We were defensive of course, being at Juve and all, but man all he could do was dig at Jose. The other guy, a City fan at least said: 'you have to give credit where it was due yesterday'.

Craig Ward

I'll take the win all day long, got to be good for morale and confidence.

I'd like us to Play Herrera in the Matic role and get Fred back in the team moving forward

Matic is looking tired and static, he's always been better suited to games we dominate. He's a superb player, just needs a rest

Greggs11

Bless you
Not the point though. You are right, it wasn't a final or anything but football is about these sudden bursts of excitement when the stars seem to align for your team, regardless of the fixture. We weren't watching it as an intellectual exercise.

Moriarty

I was listening to 'Grumpy Pundits' on US Sat radio this AM. Man the one guy hates Jose and United. No credit for anything and saying United parked the bus. We were defensive of course, being at Juve and all, but man all he could do was dig at Jose. The other guy, a City fan at least said: 'you have to give credit where it was due yesterday'.
Parked the bus? FFS. He might want to try forming his own opinions instead of parroting stock phrases. We played like an Italian team of old. Our defence played as a unit and, although we rode our luck and let Juve have the ball, they were taking quite a few long-range efforts. That told me that our defence was playing well and we always had an outlet in Martial, Sanchez, and Young.

Decomposing In Paris

Seemed to have ruffled a few feathers.
Listen juve are a good team but imo fans and media overrated them too much.
I watched them season many games and they struggled a few games even against some weak teams.
All of the teams I mentioned would take them all the way at the very least.
Ok, but these games they struggled in, did they lose any of them? They aren't struggling like Bayern Munich, or Real Madrid. Nobody is saying that we are better than them, but I don't remember your optimistic dismissal of Juventus prior to the game, or when we were drawn together. You didn't ruffle feathers, but you're one of several retrospexperts I've come across since the game that are downplaying many people's favourite for the competition right after we played really well, and still needed a bit of luck to beat them.

Bestietom

Couldn't believe my eyes, but we did play well. If we could bring in a couple of top players in January, you never know. Skriniar and Insigne would be nice.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That sums up how I feel. We were not brilliant but let's not pretend Juventus were either. They were nowhere near as impressive as I'd expect the best side in Europe to be, which I suppose they aren't yet. This notion that they battered is incorrect. They had a phase of domination due the swing the match took with the goal and us losing our concentration. For the rest of the game I felt we were comfortable.

Either way, that was a smashing result and I felt we played fairly well for good chunks of the game
Yeah. IIRC all the talk at HT was of how much more encouraging and positive we’d been compared to the reverse. Even during their dominant period 2nd half they created maybe, what, 2 more proper chances than us? I’m watching the BT YouTube highlights just now and it doesn’t seem one sided at all (anymore than any big clash home tie at any rate) and Martial got behind and put one straight across the face just before we scored that hasn’t even made it into their 'reel'.

And of course, that’s without taking into account that apparently goals from free-kicks don’t count as created chances now* But cool looking long range efforts seemingly do

If we seriously shithoused this, I’d say so (it’s apparently all us tentatively Jose-out lot live for, I hear?) but we didn't. Not really. We were very much in the game for well over an hour, then rallied after a set back to get back into it again. That’s not jammy shithousery where I’m from (and I’m from trendy gentrified South London, where shithousery is basically frequently outrageous rent and semi-regular stabbings, so....)

* Along with counter attacks when Juventus lose the ball in their own half (jammy) as opposed to counter attacks when United lose it near their own box (super-smashing-great!)

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Seemed to have ruffled a few feathers.
Listen juve are a good team but imo fans and media overrated them too much.
I watched them season many games and they struggled a few games even against some weak teams.
All of the teams I mentioned would take them all the way at the very least.
Alright.

Mitser

Still enjoying the feel good factor from this win.
All these late goals and wins must be doing wonders for the squad. Bring on Sunday!

Ban

Sad times at the Cafe.

We win and you get depressed reading what's being written.

haram

:D
Wonder what he would say if City had beaten Juventus.
Oh trust me, if City had beaten Juventus a bunch of so called United fans would have wanked themselves to sleep about it.

Willyswords

Believe me or not. There’s nothing we should be happy about except the win and our effort to fight back.

Our clueless manager doesn’t know how to rotate the squad, create no attacking style, large gap again between defenders and midfielders, lingard still not told to go right flank, Matic tired and less coverage on the pitch etc. Don’t you guys see all these problems in this match?

We won because of mata brink of brilliance, luck and players’ effort.
To be honest, we should have lost by 3 to 4 goals if Juventus took one or two more chances in the first half.

Mark my words. In the coming derby, pace and midfield efficiency is vital. If Fred and Rashford are not in the starting eleven, if we should till use lingard as attacking midfielder, we will be screwed in the first half again, then we’ll wait for subs to try to overturn things. This conceding first cycle keeps going.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Enjoy your work today:devil:
Oh I did, still am today.:D Little bit more than a lot.
Let us know what happened pal?
I walked into office like I own it, they rolled their eyes knowing that fun is over. They said: " you were lucky", I put my hand to my ear and pulled Jose: "whaaaat,can't hear you" In front of my Liverpool fan college I shouted "Zvezda, Zvezda" (means Star from Red Star) million times, wonder why he is not talking to me today. Hmmm. I also wonder why some of them are avoiding me today, hmmm.
:lol:
Anyway, good days of o fun, but I fear I will have to call in sick on Monday, if we lose on Sunday.

sergiosigurvinson

Believe me or not. There’s nothing we should be happy about except the win and our effort to fight back.

Our clueless manager doesn’t know how to rotate the squad, create no attacking style, large gap again between defenders and midfielders, Lingard still not told to go right flank, Matic tired and less coverage on the pitch etc. Don’t you guys see all these problems in this match?

We won because of Mata brink of brilliance, luck and players’ effort.
To be honest, we should have lost by 3 to 4 goals if Juventus took one or two more chances in the first half.

Mark my words. In the coming derby, pace and midfield efficiency is vital. If Fred and Rashford are not in the starting eleven, if we should till use Lingard as attacking midfielder, we will be screwed in the first half again, then we’ll wait for subs to try to overturn things. This conceding first cycle keeps going.
The first hour was great and the gap between defenders and midfield wasn't that large as you might think, they did a terrific job. The problem is that too many players couldn't maintain the efforts (the organisation)on the pitch. We played against a very strong team away.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 411 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Juventus win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Juventus 2:0 Man Utd
  • 14% Juventus 1:1 Man Utd