PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 6:2 Leeds United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 December 2020

Borys

Statistics Wizard
4.78 xG for United on understat. One of the highest Ive seen.

Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbank seriously claiming that Leeds won the possession tonight on Sky.
fbref calculation might be different but they show highest xG in Premier League so far 3,9 (Aston Villa vs Liverpool). So very likely we'll top that.

Redfrog

Top match, could have easily scored more than 6. Still felt like there was a lot from us to be desired in both attack and defence, but absolutely no complaints from me.

When was the last time we scored 6 in the prem? I'll have it.
We never scored 6 or more since the 8-2 against arse in 2011!
Happy days. In the last 7 we have draw one and won 6 . We have the second best attack in the Prem as well with a striker who can't buy a goal at the moment.
Not bad for Ole, we are a work on progress with our very young team.

Great match. Great result. Would have loved Martial to have scored at least one.

Leeds are a very well coached team for the style they play and like I said several days ago they have mostly average to crap players. So it’ll be interesting to see what they do, either they need to sign better players or start being more pragmatic otherwise can see them going down, maybe not this season because Sheff Utd are so far behind.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Great result obviously. Not really an amazing performance against very naive oppo. Lots of good stuff, lots to improve on still. I would expect us to make a real go of the league though now given our squad depth and being out of the CL.

Shiva87

What a fantastic (TM) watch. Loved it from the first minute. We really set the marker on the team which came out to press us.

McT's first goal was clearly coached. Look at the tap Ole gives McKenna for that one. They knew Philips will go after Bruno to mark him out of the game, and Ole decided to keep Bruno in the wings for most of the half. Left loads of space for us in the middle and for McT to run into. Happened again and again in the first half.

At the start of the season, I really thought this would be a banana skin game with the way Leeds press, and our weakness on moving the ball slowly out of the back. Can't complain, the team really came out today to make a statement.

Things are looking good now. We are on a streak, and Ole's teams do tend to have these and then drop off. Here's hoping that the drop offs are a thing of the past. Very exciting season ahead if we can keep this up.

Two tough league games next - Leicester and Wolves. Need to win these and we might as well end the year very strongly.

Come on you reds!!

Cpt Negative

Really, you are honestly going to sit here and tell me that de Gea should have saved that shot from Dallas? Now i understand why de Gea gets so much critique on here.. peoples expectations are completely ridiculous. Get a grip.
Yes. I think he went with it with his wrong hand.

united for life

this is united. Scoring and going back for more! Fast pace, players running, proper passing, lots of belief, players enjoying themselves, winning by a big margin and still making attacking changes. Really enjoyed the game. We actually scored from a corner kick! A little disappointed we let in 2, but won’t allow this to bother me today. I’m happy. Well done Ole!

Dante

Average bang

Fantastic stats. 6 goals wasn't a fluke.

Just a bit worrying how weak we were outside our right post. AWB was being targetted. If we could somehow sort that out, I think we could have a chance at the title.

Redfrog

Great match. Great result. Would have loved Martial to have scored at least one.

Leeds are a very well coached team for the style they play and like I said several days ago they have mostly average to crap players. So it’ll be interesting to see what they do, either they need to sign better players or start being more pragmatic otherwise can see them going down, maybe not this season because Sheff Utd are so far behind.
Going pragmatic ? You don't know Bielsa. He will play like that even if his life depends on it. He will live and die by his idea of football. That is why he will never manage a big club but at least it is very entertaining.

Problem for Leeds is with Bielsa methods (triple training sessions, pressing like mads, playing the same team) his teams have a tendency to have a much harder second part of the season as the players are dead on their feet. So they will have probably less points in the second parts. It happened in every team he coached in France. When he was coaching Marseille, players went to him to ask if they can slow down the training a bit. He went mad and everything has gone in turnmoil there.

stu_1992

What a fecking game that was. A feast for the eyes. The attacking and goals on show by both teams was massively entertaining. Very open game that made this happen. I'm very glad we came out on top and by a lot of goals. Up to third now so going quite well in the league. Next game against Leicester feels huge.

So many good performances out there, Fernandes as usual. McTominay was superb. Martial was really good without threatening goal himself. James syroirse start paid off. Thought he looked good and the goal should give him some confidence. Fred very effective, although should have passed to Cavani/Martial in one big chance. Nice to see Cavani back on the field too.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Be nice to see the boys play like they give a shit more often. Those two McBanger goals were superb and killed the game off instantly.

HarryRedCrumbs

Really entertaining game to watch. Would have been an amazing game to be at. My biggest worry of this season was getting hammered by the scum, so this was a massive relief. McTominay bossed it... he’s heading in a very good direction, had a real head on his shoulders and could be captain one day. Fred did well also. The whole team turned up today, but defending is still an issue.

Very happy for Ole. Leeds stuck to their tactics and didn’t hold back, but clearly Utd had done their homework.

RedChisel

I imagine some so called fans on here will be as gutted as Gary Neville sounded.

Alek M

Da manic one
Thrilled for Scotty. I rate him high a d he will be a beast. Physical, technical, local lad. Him and Fred bossed the midfield.

We need a proper striker or shift Rashford there but then we need a lw. Imagine Haaland up top and Rashford on his side.

Spark

That was great. Hilarious having Tyler giving so much praise to Leeds at 6-2 down. They got battered playing like morons, United had an outrageous number of opportunities to score.

Do think we need to be more clinical though - weird thing to say having just scored six, but no other team will be that insanely open and suspect at the back. In a tighter game, those Martial chances plus the flurry of shots on target at the end could have been more decisive (e.g. Leipzig).

Satisfying Sunday! Great game and buzzing to watch the highlights already.

Superunknown

Thrilled for Scotty. I rate him high a d he will be a beast. Physical, technical, local lad. Him and Fred bossed the midfield.
I knew he could do the dirty work in midfield, but those plays for his two goals and then for the James assist are what pleased me. Looked like a real box-to-box midfielder today, or as close to that as we've seen him so far.

Him and Fred in midfield just seems to work. It's not a nice midfield to play against.

RedDevilRoshi

Excellent game and one of the best in a long time! Just so thoroughly entertaining!! Fantastic start which is something that's not been the case in many of our games so far this season. We could so easily have scored double figures today if it wasn't for the Leeds Utd gk who pulled off some brilliant saves. Overall so pleased with the team and I hope it just isn't a one off in terms of creating and taking chances. Only gutting thing that I have about today is that I hope McTominay's groin injury isn't that bad as we've got a busy schedule coming up now with that busy Christmas & New Year fixture schedule

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
That was good old football from the 90s right there. Much better spectacle than what we're used to. Refreshing.

RedChisel

I didn't see the end of the game. Why did Nev sound disappointed. You would think he'd want Ole to do well.
Because now he doesn't get to rant and rave about how terrible Man Utd are which has become his raison d'etre these last few years. All he was banging on about was how wonderful Leeds are.

They have the worst defensive record in the league. That isn't the sign of a well coached team.

Yes they've produced some entertaining games so far, but the cult like behaviour surrounding Bielsa is ridiculous, any other manahge would get slaughtered for playing thst way today, and not having the sense to change it when it was clearly a disaster.

Revan

Assumptionman
The best performance under Ole IMO. Could have easily scored 10 if we weren't so wasteful in front of goal.

Very happy with both the performance and the results.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Great stuff altogether. I wasn't in for the weeping and gnashing of teeth when the team was announced but I can imagine the reaction that James' inclusion got. I'm glad for him, contributed well throughout and it should give him a boost. What a contrast to the City game. No doubt the knockers will focus on the openess of Leeds but at some point, Ole has to get a bit of credit for his set up against the master tacticians. Notable successes against Bielsa, Nagelsman, Tuchel, Hasenhüttel, Pep, etc in the recent past. There have been reverses too but these results can't be ignored completely when talking about his alleged tactical incompetence.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
6 goals scored and not one from Rashford, Martial or Greenwood

Imagine when those 3 finally get their season going

December_16

I read a stat somewhere that Liverpool is the first team that scored 7 and conceded 7 goals in a season. Wondering if we are the only team with that similar record, but 6 goals.

littleman

What a fantastic (TM) watch. Loved it from the first minute. We really set the marker on the team which came out to press us.

McT's first goal was clearly coached. Look at the tap Ole gives McKenna for that one. They knew Philips will go after Bruno to mark him out of the game, and Ole decided to keep Bruno in the wings for most of the half. Left loads of space for us in the middle and for McT to run into. Happened again and again in the first half.
I've actually heard that McKenna is one of the worst coaches in recent history, Ole was ribbing McKenna by telling him he was wrong. Remember like how LVG looked over at Giggs when Hernandez missed?

Genius coach we did not get, he's a little shite, plenty to learn

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 92% of 398 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win