PL D FA Premier League

Leeds United 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 April 2021

MrBest

Well we had a lot of the ball, but no substance as usual. Not sure why McFred started together, I really feel for DVB, this would have been a good game for him. What is the point in bringing Cavani on in the 85th minute, i think its more offensive. James was useless and I think Rashford needs to be told he needs to pass the ball and he can't just shoot from anywhere, all of the time.

northernfan

Too many finesse players up front for this team. Rashford, Fernandes, Greenwood, Pogba, James(small) and Martial are great in space. Cavani is the only player inside the 18 that has some grit. The rest get pushed of the ball to easily.

bk1991

A frustrating day at the office we had more than enough chances to win the game but our attackers not quite on song today. Still onward and upwards to Roma!

Giggsy13

Nope, rightfully trying to rest them for Roma.

Having 16 attempts at goal isn't too bad, unless you're one of those who think we have a God given right to win every game.
I don’t expect us to win every game but expect our manager to put us in the best position to win at the very least. The in game management was poor today even though Ole has shown signs in that he was getting better in this department. In the grand scheme of things not a bad draw however, an earlier Pogba substitution may have changed the outlook of the game.

Guapa

Bronco needs to pull his finger out and stop gesturing to everyone else

Giggsy13

Leeds also helped trigger my hate for them again. A lot of dirty tackles and fouls. I can’t believe Phillips escaped a booking. Their only response to getting mauled at OT was to play dirty.

Teja

So I guess since everyone's still rambling on and on about not playing Pogba / Cavani.

McFred ran through their midfield in the reverse fixture.

Leeds work like they're on drugs, Pogba would've been done in like 45 mins tracking their midfield. Probably would've lost concentration and let atleast one run beyond him.

Rashford, James, Greenwood offer pace on the counter. We expected Leeds to go full on gung ho like they did at OT and they were a lot more reserved today. For all of Biela's talk on them knowing how to play only one way, they showed us a lot of respect.

We were pretty good in the second half. The ref called their fouls but they really need to get some more yellows for their play. I think if he showed a couple more yellows, the game would've been a whole lot different.

Red_Aaron

Disappointed with Leeds. All season they've received plaudits for their attacking play and refusal to compromise their approach. They're safe from relegation and facing their hated rivals at home in the top flight for the first time in god knows how long.
And yet today is the day they decide to go man-for-man and focus purely on not losing. Constant tactical fouls, zero attacking intent.

From our pov we didn't push the centre backs up early enough, it was clear what Leeds were doing after 10mins and yet it was until 3/4s in that they consistently pushed up. I love Rashford but his biggest issue for me is his lack of ability to get his shot away quickly enough, he needs to work on those short backlift strikes because you can see his shots coming a mile off. Cavani and DvB given too little time to impact.

Not the worse result in the world. If we win well against Roma it'll be worth it

Stevondo8

Game with nothing riding on it played like a game with nothing riding on it. Dull. Expect better on Thursday and next week.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What did people make of Kalvin Phillips ?
I say this as he's likely going to be a England starter in midfield.

Bogga

I don't think it was a question of rest. If you expect the same kind of game we had last time, starting James and Greenwood over Cavani and Pogba makes some sense.

What, VDB on the right wing?
I get what you mean, but it shouldn't have taken him 97 minutes to see that it wasn't the same kind of game...

And yeah VDB on the left, cause why not? Couldn't have been much worse than James, especially how the game played out where speed didn't seem to be of much importance

George the Cat

Can see us losing 2nd place.
As Roy Keane said, second is the first loser, who cares.
We got a champs league spot, I’d like to pretend that I don’t want that because it’d hurt the Glazers but then I’d be lying.
Here‘s hoping Chelsea or West Ham make sure the Dippers play in the Europa next season.

Doracle

Thought we played well against a very negative Leeds team. Unlucky not to come away with a routine win. No damage really done though and looks like all fit for Thursday.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No issue with today. Defensively we were fine. Harrison, Phillips, Bamford and Costa were always on the periphery of the game, most of the game there touches were in their own half.

Offensively I think were naive upfront. Rashford still looks like he's not sharp and James had a game to forget. Clearly one eye on Thursday night with Pogba, Cavani on the bench.

Giggsy13

What did people make of Kalvin Phillips ?
I say this as he's likely going to be a England starter in midfield.
If it’s southgate’s intention to put out an anti-football line up based on cheap and dirty fouls then Phillips is his man and captain.

Shiva87

Why Cavani and Pogba didn’t start this game is beyond me. They were in the best form they’ve been in pretty much all season respectively, we had an entire week off, our next game is on Thursday.

Why?
Because we have a tough midweek game which has a lot more hanging on it. This result will be quickly forgotten if we win against Roma mid week.

Also, I rather beat Pool next weekend and end their top 4 challenge than win tonight (if we had to prioritise resting players today v next weekend).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm aware that Leeds have held other "big" sides at Elland Road this season but there are times we are so lacking in creativity and quality that it makes you want to scream. Just not enough in midfield to open up well-prepared teams - although they do the defensive side of the game pretty well.

We need to find one top-class defensive midfielder so that we don't need to play two (Scotty and Fred). That would free up one place for a top-class creative one.

But most of all we need width - United's greatest teams have wingers. We need someone who can get behind teams and pull the ball back to someone wearing the same colour shirt! Of course we also need someone to latch on to half chances and turn one point into three: we've have seven goalless draws this season. Seven...

Frankly, I can't remember a United vs Leeds game that was so dull and that had 0-0 stamped all over it from really early on. Yes some decent performances but not good enough - and sorry, Ole still doesn't have the guts to make changes early

RuudTom83

Run out in the sun before Thursday.

Have to remember the season this squad has had, and with 2nd (or Top 4) tied up, there will be a few flat-ish performances until the season ends. But don't take too much from it as far as talking points.

Bobski

Type of match that makes me hope for this season to end, and by some miracle when we start again it can be with crowds and the added energy and focus they bring.

Augustus Gloop

In the context of the run-in it’s a really frustrating, disappointing result - but in the context of the season, especially when you look at the fixtures at the beginning, it ain’t bad.

Hopefully in hindsight this will be seen as good exercise in prep for Thursday.

Wing Attack Plan R

Surprised that many on here didn't enjoy that match. We had some great attacking play and some incredible defending.

I kept imagining what our side would be if Grealish were in instead of Fred or McTominay.

Greenwood has to work on his 1v1 direct play. Every time he runs at a defender he loses the ball.

I would have started Pogba and Cavani, but oh well.

RedDevil@84

Had no intention to desperately win this. Else Pogba and Cavani would have come on immediately in second half.

Foxbatt

We certainly need an upgrade on the midfield. We need to replace Fred and McTominay.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Surprised that many on here didn't enjoy that match. We had some great attacking play and some incredible defending.

I kept imagining what our side would be if Grealish were in instead of Fred or McTominay.

Greenwood has to work on his 1v1 direct play. Every time he runs at a defender he loses the ball.

I would have started Pogba and Cavani, but oh well.
I am with you and the genral feeling about the match. I think it had the desired intensity and we added an extra gear in the second half but simply the two teams cancelled each other today. We had some chances and failed to score/do better in the final third.

Strongly disagree with Fred and McTominay, I mean you want Grealish to play a CDM/CM, not exactly what he play does he? But really Scott is just strength and nothing else. Fred adds much more cover and intensity to the game, shifting the ball way faster and he showed some good passes today while McT is just average at evrything. You would think we could use that slot for a more creative midfielder but perhaps Ole hoped he would rediscovered his 3 match good spell from the first half of the season, where he showed he could provide anything else than running slowly around doing nothing.

No but really noone expects you to score goals every game but at least use your biggest strength - strength to make some space for yourself and your teammates. He should do better then losing the ball every time he attempts that. For a player of his height he's so bad in the air too..

kidbob

Tough game and good result for me as long as we follow it up against Roma and Liverpool. Leicester is the big game for us that will ultimately decide second place I reckon especially as they have Chelsea away to play too.

Leeds may have caught us by surprise today by completely changing their style, which if anything points towards Biesla really respecting our strengths as a team. I never understand the belly aching after games like this. Look we all know the issues we have and I'm sure Ole does too. He wanted Sancho last summer. So this isn't the final iteration of what he ultimately wants from the team but its what we have right now. The management know we need more quality and for the first time in ages I'm confident that we have a management that will make the right transfer choices more often than not. Its over to the owners now to enable it.

They are a very decent side and we were well on top for the most part but fluffed chances that we'd score on another day. They also did an incredibly good job of making the game very stop start with consistent small fouls.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We certainly need an upgrade on the midfield. We need to replace Fred and McTominay.
Yeah and noone mentions how poor Fernandes again was, can't remember when was the last time we could call that some sort of form, just flashes of brilliance in other than wasteful performances.. but keep mentioning the double pivot who at times at least Fred looked like creating more than our supposed main attacking threat.

TheMitz

I thought we were solid today, Leeds is a tough place to go especially considering the games we have coming up.

Phillips did a good job snuffing out Brunos creative threat, and with Pogba on the bench we struggled to create many chances.

the away record is still in place.

big week coming up.

OrcaFat

Can see us losing 2nd place.
Yawn. We just won give on a row and drew away to a team who defended very well. I’m not sure if you’re the type who said we’d be lucky to make top 6 this season but these kind of posts are pointlessly negative.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yawn. We just won give on a row and drew away to a team who defended very well. I’m not sure if you’re the type who said we’d be lucky to make top 6 this season but these kind of posts are pointlessly negative.
It was a joke. :D

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 193 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Leeds United 1:3 Man Utd