PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 5:1 Leeds United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 August 2021

Lj82

Saw Bruno and Greenwood doing the post match interview and the crowd was still raucous. What a wonderful atmosphere.

Greenwood looked physically imposing standing beside Bruno. Seems like he put on more muscles again during the off season. His center forward play really surprised me. Last season when he played there he was usually anonymous but yesterday he played really well. Looks like by next season he would be ready to take over from Cavani.

Tony247

Realistically - to get 4 assists is a much harder thing to do than getting a hat-trick. There have been over 400 hat-tricks in the Premier League - but it was only the 7th time someone managed 4 assists in one game. Ironically all the other 6 were Arsenal or Tottenham-players. (Adebayor, Cazorla, Kane last season against Southampton, Reyes, Bergkamp and Fabregas)
I know, but those 3 goals Bruno scored weren't straightforward. He had to do a lot. 2 with his left foot, 1 with right, first and third goal with exquisite first touch requires some skill. So IMHO bruno's hattrick trumps pogba's assists, and that too when a united player scored after a long time in PL can't think of him not to be motm.

Absolutely nothing to take away from Pogba. He had an amazing game too.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Excellent all-round performance by United. But to be truly able to win the PL, they are going to need to be able to produce relentless consistency over the remaining 37 games.
That is the real challenge.

Flanders Devil

Saw Bruno and Greenwood doing the post match interview and the crowd was still raucous. What a wonderful atmosphere.

Greenwood looked physically imposing standing beside Bruno. Seems like he put on more muscles again during the off season. His center forward play really surprised me. Last season when he played there he was usually anonymous but yesterday he played really well. Looks like by next season he would be ready to take over from Cavani.
I wonder if you or anyone at the ground can comment, but a lot of the time it seemed like Greenwood was still operating on the right, with Pogba more central and Bruno in a false 9 (furthest forward)?

I thought Greenwood looked great, just not sure exactly where he was operating from.
I hope this is just the bedding in process, as I’d love to see him thrive as the CF.

Raw

4-0 against QPR under Van Gaal? Dunno if that was the opener but we looked like a machine.
That was actually our 4th PL game of the season. We lost the first one at home to Swansea, then subsequently drew to Sunderland and Burnley before beating QPR. Pretty sure the 4-0 loss to MK Dons was before the QPR game too! :lol:

So important we get a good start to the season, we always seem to have a shit start and end up playing catch up for too long.

Kinky Melinky

A bit late to the party here. Thrilling game of football and just what the doctor ordered. Absolutely delighted

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
In the middle of all the praising of Bruno's hat trick and Pogba's double brace, Mason's goal has been overlooked. It was a world class finish. You can see why he's called the best finisher in the squad.

redmanx

It was a great game, and yes, this is the Pogba we need. The hard-working Pogba who is making an effort. I just hope he does not go back to his normal self if he is not providing assists.
I remember a time when a player was said to have "made a goal" rather than have "made an assist" which I imagine is a phrase taken straight out of the American sporting lexicon. Back then, midfield players were expected to provide passes for the strikers to convert, it was what they were there to do and multiple "assists" were not unusual. And just as today, midfielders, or Half Backs and Inside Forwards as they were then called were expected to defend and do their share of the spade work; of course there was always some who didnt want to but if they "made" a couple of goals all was forgiven. Likewise with Pogba; nobody expects him to play 100% brilliant every game, but when hes not on song he has to dig in and help out the others. Yesterday he was superb and did his share of running too and deserves every praise, but he has to keep showing that he cares. Im still suspicious of his motives and I hope yesterday wasnt just about him putting himself in the shop window.

Lights Out

My fave opening days:

1989: 4-1 against Arsenal. Knighton doing keepy-uppies in front of the Stretford End :lol:
1991: 2-0 against Notts County. Kanchelskis debut.
1996: 3-0 at Wimbledon. Becks wonder goal.
2003: 4-0 against Bolton. Ronaldo debut off the bench.
2006: 5-1 Fulham. Rooney and Ronaldo. 4-0 after 20 mins.
2019: 4-0 Chelsea. James debut goal.

I think yesterday tops the lot. Battering that lot with 5 quality goals and the Varane announcement. Perfect day.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Absolutely fantastic from start to finish. Leeds didn’t pose much of a threat at all. 2nd half, it just felt like every time we attacked, we were going to score and the crowd was making a proper good atmosphere which the players were feeding off.

An all-round top class day! :D

Maticmaker

Fantastic result, finally watched the game on TV, (had to rush the wife into hospital early morning) first time me (and the wife) have missed the opening home game of the season for 10 years (not counting last year of course) I am still walking on air though.

Wife's doing OK as well.

Lj82

I wonder if you or anyone at the ground can comment, but a lot of the time it seemed like Greenwood was still operating on the right, with Pogba more central and Bruno in a false 9 (furthest forward)?

I thought Greenwood looked great, just not sure exactly where he was operating from.
I hope this is just the bedding in process, as I’d love to see him thrive as the CF.
Greenwood shifted to the right after Martial and Sancho came on. Before that his starting position was in the middle, with him occasionally drifting to the channels. His goal came when he drifted to the left. The fifth goal you see him in the middle playing the ball to Pogba on the left, who set up Fred for his goal. I think for Greenwood as a CF, we shouldn't expect to see him stay in the middle throughout the game. That isn't how Utd play and it is actually a strength for Greenwood that he is able drift out and operate in the channels, opening up space for Bruno to attack in the middle.

Havak

Pokemon master
Something I didn't see many people talk about was Ole's tactical switch in the first half and for some of the second. Before we scored, Leeds actually started to get on the ball and control the midfield, Ole and the team noticed this quickly and shifted to a diamond in midfield with James and Greenwood split.

This continued in the second half and despite is conceding a goal (it was a worldie for one, and for two it was just a case of no one taking responsibility. Pogba left Ayling, Shaw couldn't cover as the winger was in, Fred and Maguire didn't push out when Pogba gave up). This led to Bruno getting late runs into the box and three goals.

Ole deserves a lot of credit IMO.

Flanders Devil

Greenwood shifted to the right after Martial and Sancho came on. Before that his starting position was in the middle, with him occasionally drifting to the channels. His goal came when he drifted to the left. The fifth goal you see him in the middle playing the ball to Pogba on the left, who set up Fred for his goal. I think for Greenwood as a CF, we shouldn't expect to see him stay in the middle throughout the game. That isn't how Utd play and it is actually a strength for Greenwood that he is able drift out and operate in the channels, opening up space for Bruno to attack in the middle.
Thanks - yes, I agree with what you said post the Martial and Sancho subs, but before that I got the sense that he was drifting out to the channels a lot, but didn’t know if that was just his preference or it was due to Pogba and Bruno both preferring to operate more centrally.

I think it’s interesting, as I do remember there was one break (can’t remember who was on the ball) and there was just no one in the middle to receive the cross. But I guess the counter point is the space that it opens up for Bruno to push in to.
Interesting times and interesting to see how Ole adapts to the personnel as Martial and Cavani both seem to stay more centrally than Mason.

Pavl3n

What do you expect? Pogba doesnt want to be here, hes made that obvious. The fans would have been chanting for him if things were different and he wanted to stay.
What's his chant by the way?

Gator Nate

Great match! Love the scoreline! :D

I can't complain about anyone's performance. I know a lot of folks are slating Dan James, but with Sancho not ready to start, it was a good decision, and he does play well from a defensive standpoint. We had plenty of firepower out there. Dan did what he's paid to do.

Also, as Leeds were arguably the most difficult opponent over the first stretch of games (maybe West Ham?) before a tough October run, I don't know that Ole wants to show all the cards just yet. There's plenty of time to work Sancho and Verane into the mix.

Match fitness was not in question. Leeds are always a fit team and we were well up to that aspect. As Bielsa admitted, we were just the superior team.

I gave MOTM to Pogba, knowing Bruno would get it. It's either/or for me. I don't want to separate them - they make this offense work. I can't wait to see Sancho, Cavani, and Rashford in this mix. The offensive firepower we now have at our disposal is ludicrous. But Pogba's four assists... wow... especially that last one, so unselfish. He saw Fred and served him up perfectly. And Fred kept it down.

Complain about McFred all you want, but they did well today. Scott was a really important part of the offense. I would say Fred was anonymous, but that also means he didn't have any monumental mistakes. And then he was there for that goal.

Leeds' one goal was a great goal. I don't want to blame our defense for that. We had five great goals.

We should go into the Leicester match in October at the top of the league on 21 points.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'm sure someone else has asked the question, but who was Ayling saying "F**k off you" to after Greenwood's goal?

Pavl3n

I'm sure someone else has asked the question, but who was Ayling saying "F**k off you" to after Greenwood's goal?
Most probably one of his team mates. They just equalised and probably were quite unhappy to go back goal down again so quick.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great match! Love the scoreline! :D

I can't complain about anyone's performance. I know a lot of folks are slating Dan James, but with Sancho not ready to start, it was a good decision, and he does play well from a defensive standpoint. We had plenty of firepower out there. Dan did what he's paid to do.

Also, as Leeds were arguably the most difficult opponent over the first stretch of games (maybe West Ham?) before a tough October run, I don't know that Ole wants to show all the cards just yet. There's plenty of time to work Sancho and Verane into the mix.

Match fitness was not in question. Leeds are always a fit team and we were well up to that aspect. As Bielsa admitted, we were just the superior team.

I gave MOTM to Pogba, knowing Bruno would get it. It's either/or for me. I don't want to separate them - they make this offense work. I can't wait to see Sancho, Cavani, and Rashford in this mix. The offensive firepower we now have at our disposal is ludicrous. But Pogba's four assists... wow... especially that last one, so unselfish. He saw Fred and served him up perfectly. And Fred kept it down.

Complain about McFred all you want, but they did well today. Scott was a really important part of the offense. I would say Fred was anonymous, but that also means he didn't have any monumental mistakes. And then he was there for that goal.

Leeds' one goal was a great goal. I don't want to blame our defense for that. We had five great goals.

We should go into the Leicester match in October at the top of the league on 21 points.
Attack, please. No offence.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Best opening day in a long time. Really enjoyed it as I enjoy any big win against Leeds.
That said Leeds at the moment are tailor made for us. They attack, we kill them on the counter.
Let's see how we are doing after 10 games.

Lj82

Something I didn't see many people talk about was Ole's tactical switch in the first half and for some of the second. Before we scored, Leeds actually started to get on the ball and control the midfield, Ole and the team noticed this quickly and shifted to a diamond in midfield with James and Greenwood split.

This continued in the second half and despite is conceding a goal (it was a worldie for one, and for two it was just a case of no one taking responsibility. Pogba left Ayling, Shaw couldn't cover as the winger was in, Fred and Maguire didn't push out when Pogba gave up). This led to Bruno getting late runs into the box and three goals.

Ole deserves a lot of credit IMO.
For sure Ole deserves credit. Was it truly a diamond though? At some point it probably did resemble a diamond, particularly our defensive- pressing shape. Was watching one of those tactics youtube video which mentioned that Utd started with only Greenwood pressing the Leeds central defenders. After around 20 mins we switched to have Dan James joining Greewood in the press, which resembles a diamond shape like you described.

But in attack, Pogba was given the license to drift as was Bruno and they didn't hold a distinct shape.

Again, I agree with your main point about giving Ole and his coaching team the credits for nailing the tactics though.

Thanks - yes, I agree with what you said post the Martial and Sancho subs, but before that I got the sense that he was drifting out to the channels a lot, but didn’t know if that was just his preference or it was due to Pogba and Bruno both preferring to operate more centrally.

I think it’s interesting, as I do remember there was one break (can’t remember who was on the ball) and there was just no one in the middle to receive the cross. But I guess the counter point is the space that it opens up for Bruno to push in to.
Interesting times and interesting to see how Ole adapts to the personnel as Martial and Cavani both seem to stay more centrally than Mason.
I think Martial also likes to drift, particularly to the left. It worked well when he played with Rashford as they have a good understanding of each other's game and they can swap position through the game. Cavani plays more central than both Martial and Greenwood, which provides very different tactical options. But more importantly I feel is his readiness to keep hanging on the shoulders of the defenders and making repeated runs in anticipation of through balls and crosses. This is something that I hope Greenwood would pick up. Martial did it more during project restart but seemed to lose it last season.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 56% of 502 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 504 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw