CS W Community Shield

Leicester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 August 2016

Fingeredmouse

Pretty happy with that.

Would've been a clean sheet, but for Fellaini's inexplicable through ball to Vardy.

Bailly very good indeed, Shaw looking good (handled Mahrez very well), Blind & Valencia solid. Backline looks good.

Rooney's inability to control a ball or pass properly was horrifying. I am certainly not in the "Rooney is Satan" camp, but a composed passer in his position today and I think we'd have won comfortably.

I think Fellaini actually had a reasonable game, with the rather enormous caveat of the fact he directly cost us a goal.

Zlatan's class was clear, Lingered was very good but Martial still looks like he's lacking match practice.

The subs didn't have long on the pitch...but Rojo continues to look like a poor defender to me.

Think we'll be there or thereabouts.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
First half was a bit boring bar Lingard's Messi moment (pure luck). Second half it got better. Bailly looks really good. Really confident and assured and has great pace. Fellaini apart from his assist to Vardy was not too bad (wasn't too great either). Did the basics. Ibra's goal was precisely why he was brought in. If that was Rooney or Martial like last year, they wouldn't have been tall enough to score. Ibra wasn't too bad i thought. Posters saying he wasn't great but hes surrounded by defenders (like any striker), so what can he do. Some balls he controlled and held the play up good and some balls he lost. That happens as a striker. Rooney had a shocker though. I understand he is playing like Ibra in a position where he is basically surrounded by defenders and doesnt have time to think, but the amount of times i said, if that was Mata in the 10 he would have retained the ball or at least passed it to a united player. I would love to see the stats about how many times Rooney either lost possession or passed it to an opposition player.

Attacking wise you can kind of see that the players have a bit more license to try things. For example Valencia was taking on the full back trying to get a cross in. We have a really good squad of players. Arguably the best squad in the Premiership. Personally i would have started with Schniderlin over Fellaini, but with Pogba coming in it doesnt matter. Overall delighted that its back.

Reactions: Akshay

Irrational.

Also in the post match interview, Jose confirms that he was timewasting by bringing Mata off, and he had to bring the smallest player off.

I feel sorry for Juan - he's certainly not happy. No way to treat one of our most important players last season. Hope he doesn't leave.

iHicksy

Re: Michael Owen

Nothing to do with our performance. But did anyone else notice since Owen has become a Liverpool ambassador his scouse accent has become incredibly pronounced? I never noticed he had one before, but commentating on the match it was almost like he was making an effort to butcher the English language with that horrible lilt to his voice.

hbgreg

Pretty boring, good win.

Worried for Martial, the ball should be finding him way more often.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Re: Michael Owen

Nothing to do with our performance. But did anyone else notice since Owen has become a Liverpool ambassador his scouse accent has become incredibly pronounced? I never noticed he had one before, but commentating on the match it was almost like he was making an effort to butcher the English language with that horrible lilt to his voice.
I've noticed he's put on a bit of timber, his voice is still coma inducing.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Heard rumours about a "we got him" comment from Mourinho :drool:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Some good, some bad. I thought Rooney and Fellaini (not just for his mistake) were poor, while I like Bailly, Blind and Valencia (another assist for him, he could have a good season under Jose)

Andre Kagawa

Bailly is a fecking lunatic. I love him. Two great goals, especially Lingard's Messiesque slalom strike. Rooney was absolutely awful from the start until he went off. Would love me some Micky in that #10 role but that's probably too much to wish for. Pogba revealing will break the internet now, good times.

DevilRed

:lol:
Lingard, who scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final at Wembley last season, said: "He's given us a license to mix positions. You can do what you want on the pitch. He's a great manager. He lets us play freely."

SirScholes

The team going forward needs more games and time together, might be like the United of old that gets better as the season progresses.
Not surprising the comments in here Rooney didn't put in a motm so therefore was the worst player, he was no worse than martial fellaini, most the team put in a 5/6 out of 10 except for lingard, bailly and blind.

Mani

Certainly can see changes in teams approach ,the winning mentality. My biggest worry atm is Rooney,he need to pull his shocks and work in right direction.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think this team can do good things once places fall in order and they get used to one another.

I'm hoping that some of the starting XI were out there to prove a point. Get it on film and documented that this is why some of them are going to have to either be moved on or accept a much reduced role in the squad.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The team going forward needs more games and time together, might be like the United of old that gets better as the season progresses.
Not surprising the comments in here Rooney didn't put in a motm so therefore was the worst player, he was no worse than martial fellaini, most the team put in a 5/6 out of 10 except for lingard, bailly and blind.
This, I would say even Ibrahimovic is not in his good form as well but a bit better than Martial and Rooney. I mostly worried about Martial, recent games he looked he lost his confidence substiantially. Rooney if he keeps playing like this his time will be numbered.

SalfordRed1960

I like how Leicester were allowed to take the throw in a good 5 meters forward from where the ball originally crossed the side line just because it was one of those Delap throw ins.

On another note:

Positives: Bailly; Ibra (mostly because we now have absolutely zero reasons to play Fellaini as Ibra can score headers as well)
Negatives: Fellaini, Rooney, and that immobile midfield
Surprised you said the midfield. I think our midfield always make themselves available for the back four, some good interplay. However, our forwards spend most of their time static next to the players marking them and have no outlet. As soon as the strikers make themselves available, they get found by the midfield. Still crying out for a midfielder to go past the strikers, similar to how Shaw and Valencia go past the wingers.

ClosetDevil

You could see Zlatan look absolutely irritated when Rooney completely miscontrols a good pass from Zlatan direct to Rooney's feet. I'm worried he's really not the same player anymore.

Chip

I love how Mourinho, in the post match interview, blames the pitch for Fellaini's back pass. Of course we know that Mourinho will criticise him behind closed doors, but I like the fact that he's already "protecting" his players when speaking to the press. Doubt we'd have seen that from LVG.

Edit: The way he mentions that Bailly did will even though he did not play with Smalling really makes it seem obvious that our starting CB partnership is going to be Smalling and Bailly.

zeekey

So we need a decent experienced centre back to go alongside Bailly...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Mou's face when we were about to lift the CS was worth seeing. Didn't look happy at all, rightly. Won't be surprised to see more signings.
Also, I still don't get why he decided to bring Mata on for Lingard. I love Mata but getting him on flanks is too LVG-esque, and add to that you already have Rooney and Zlatan on the pitch who aren't the fastest players

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Confirms Pogba!

Blames the pitch for Fellainis mistake. Even praises LVG!

He's doing a good job protecting players at this stage though, not making them lose confidence but giving encouragement.

It's good he praises LVG too, shows humility I think he's developing and learning as a manager even now, if he can keep that mantra it could be longer than 3 years he stays.

Cathy Ferguson

It's a terrifying game in the sense that it looks like Mourinho is going to repeat LVG's mistake and insist on playing Rooney regardless of what he does on the pitch. Hopefully he'll be on the bench when the league starts, but ... you just know he won't. It's going to be that kind of season again.
Rooney will be given some special treatment in the next coming weeks since he is our captain. If he doesn't deliver then I don't think Mou will risk his tenure just to keep Rooney happy, he will be replaced by Mata, Mickey or Rashford.

Man of the Match

Eric Bailly image Eric Bailly 69% of 1049 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 713 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw