CS W Community Shield

Leicester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 August 2016

Van Gaalacticos

Anyone able to give a decent overview of the game for someone who wasn't able to watch. I've seen Leicester had more chances despite us having much more possession - what's that all about?

DevilRed

Tough match. Came through it and scored a late winner.

We never really looked too stretched. You can see the defending has improved without sacrificing goals and possession.

If it wasnt for a terrible individual mistake we should have kept a clean sheet. Real unfortunate that Jesse got hurt though. Playing so well and really staking a claim for himself in the first eleven. Second time this has happened to him now.

Hopefully we can rely on Zlatan to produce matchwinners and magic. He still looks off the pace a bit but thats understandable considering he has had no preseason basically.

Rooney and Fellaini were terrible. I think Fellaini really needs to be sold. We just have to stop using him. He doesnt fit into our style or what we are trying to achieve. Rooney just seems to have lost his first touch completely. He cant string a pass nor beat a man. Terrible and most of our moves broke down because of him. It doesnt help that he plays in such a pivotal position either.

Very odd team selection from Jose. Not playing Mikhitaryan until 30 seconds left? Taking Mata off? :lol:

Jacob

Frustrating that Fellaini always takes slightly too long to figure out his move, and that he always passes straight to the player rather than ahead of him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Decent performance. Clearly the squad still haven't fully expunged LvG's backpass 'philosophy'. Jose will have to look at what to do with Rooney, which will hopefully get resolved after Mkhitaryan starts playing and the likes of Rashford, Lingard, and Mata are too productive to drop.

Fener1907

Happy enough. Leicester looked energetic and like carrying on where they left off, although I don't remember them having too many opportunities. We shouldn't understate a victory over them, not when they're still the same awkward side to play against and it's still very early days.

Negatives? Rooney and that absolutely shite celebration. Makes me pine for boring ones like Shearer's.

Waywestofthere

Supports
three kids
Well, it's been awhile since I've watched a United game and thought, yeah, that makes sense.

Even Rooney, at this point, makes sense. How do you come in and drop him straight away? If he's still starting and playing like that in a couple of weeks I'll change my opinion.

WyoManU

Nice to get the win and hopefully convert that into belief and habit again. Not a great performance by any means, though.

Thought our defense was pretty good in open play but looked suspect on set pieces. Blind was quietly good. Bailly showed athleticism, pace and strength but needs to learn how to use it in the proper situations. Valencia was alright and got his assist. Shaw was also alright.

Lingard stirs mixed emotions in me. Great goal but in open play I just am not convinced he is good enough. Martial was absent which was a big negative. Fellaini has certain attributes that can be useful but if we want to be back at the top of world football again he is not the kind of player we want in our team. Horrible back pass that wasn't even close to being hard enough. Rooney was another big negative. I just felt like our build up play always broke down when the ball was at his feet. His first touch and passing were abysmal. The sooner our captain is benched and someone else gets a shot at that #10 role the sooner we move forward.

Ibra was mostly absent but showed that he can be counted on to deliver a game changing goal.

Really disappointed that Miki didn't get a proper amount of minutes. Mata, Herrera and Schneiderlin were less than convincing but no worse than anyone else really.

Hope we take it up a gear next weekend as this wasn't good enough. I don't think we will play the same starting XI.

mu4c_20le

Thought our new signings did well, the youngsters did well and we closed the show.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not the best performance but some good signs for me. No big deal to have lost but pleasing to have won. Liked Bailly and thought he deserved MOTM.

You'd think someone would have told Steve McManaman that it isn't the 'Barclay's' Premier League any more. Said it about 8 times

MrBest

Decent win, not a great game but we are a game or two away from match fitness.

Still signs of van gaal in the team, hopefully this can be coached out soon. Was pretty flat in general but lingard looked up for it, balley looks a solid buy and Shaw had a good comeback.

Ibra was okay, will need some time to integrate but typical goal of him at the end, Hope we will see more if that!

Rooney is now just a waste of a spot. Dont no what he offers to the team in terms of playing, MKH should be starting or Mata. Fellaini another waste of space in the squad,Pogba will replace him soon.

With a few tweaks here and there, i think we can work hard to comfortably claim a top 3 spot. That should be the minimum considering we have spent 500m+ on players in 3 years since Fergie (includes 100m on pogba).

Minimalist

Boring as hell I thought but two nice goals all the same. A lot of work for Jose - attacking end of the pitch is a total mess at times.

I dare Rooney to play worse than that all season.

Nik70

Good start to Jose's stint as United manager. Positives and negatives as you'd expect this early on.

Great work from Bailly, Shaw and Valencia. Lingard was lively and his goal was fantastic. Zlatan quiet but was a beast for the winner. Morgan didn't have a chance once that cross came in. Rooney was crap. Martial disappointing. Fellaini with a shocker to play Vardy in.

Van Gaalacticos

The very little of it I did see,we seemed on top - maybe the Van Gaal passing style will benefit us in the long run as an alternative option to smashing teams from wingplay and creative attacking haha.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Not much to say about how we played. Just happy we've won. Should give the team confidence to start with a win, even if it's just the C.S.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Oh yeah, Bailly impressed me, Blind was my man of the match though.

DevilRed

Boring as hell I thought but two nice goals all the same. A lot of work for Jose - attacking end of the pitch is a total mess at times.

I dare Rooney to play worse than that all season.
Rooney really needs to step it up. That was woeful. If we had a somewhat semi functional player in that position we would have scored more. So many moves breaking down because of him.

Martial was off the pace too, but probably because of match fitness.

Perrick Dubois

Chuffed for Zlatan. Didn't get to watch the game but I will watch the replay when I get home tonight. CS! A great start to the season, hopefully the lads kick on fitness wise and start the season well.

themoyesboy

It's a terrifying game in the sense that it looks like Mourinho is going to repeat LVG's mistake and insist on playing Rooney regardless of what he does on the pitch. Hopefully he'll be on the bench when the league starts, but ... you just know he won't. It's going to be that kind of season again.
He'll give him a chance but if his performances don't pick up then Jose won't put up with Rooney for long. Jose is usually ruthless when he's trying to establish himself at a new club and establish his authority. I'm not too worried about his decisions in today's glorified pre-season friendly game.

Lostie007

Against the league champions, think we did pretty well. Good performance from Bailly, horrible from Rooney.
Agreed we dominated Leicester City

Limited them to scrape and deserved to win the better side won

Red Bug

Good result. Hope we don't see Rooney start many games this season.

Bailly is going to be a very good defender.

Mkhitaryan was invisible.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Have to remember we have a new manager with a new philosophy, it was still pre season and we were playing the league champions who are very united and have confidence. In that context, great start to season. I liked several things:

1) With Po6ba still to come, we have amazing strength in depth and real quality on the subs bench. Its a good blend of experience, genuine talent and youth.
2) Team was always looking to get forward.
3) Bailly did very well. Of course we won't see his best for a few seasons, but he looks self confident, fast and very strong.
4) Ibra will always get goals. Just get him quality chances.
5) Most importantly, i felt confident seeing Mourinho on the sidelines. It feels very natural to have him in charge and Im delighted he is finally in public view.

siw2007

Community Shield is a bit of a glorified pre-season friendly, but it is still great to win in the Premier League curtain raiser. Thought it was a decent performance all-round, we were especially impressive in defence with Eric Bailly particularly standing out. there was good movement in the front 4, but I didn't think we saw the best of them which was down to still developing an understanding but also Leicester being solid too.

Great goal from Lingard. He gets a lot of stick because he isn't the most spectacular player but he is a good player and capable of scoring goals in key moments. We were relatively comfortable through out the game as Bailly and Blind had Vardy in check but Fellaini's stupid back pass put them back into the game. Good to see Ibrahimovic score the winner, he didn't do a lot in the game but you need your big name players to decide the big moments and thats what happened today.

It was mostly an even game, but we did well to beat the English Champions when we weren't as fit as they were. Leicester City look like they will be a tough team to beat again next year.

Man of the Match

Eric Bailly image Eric Bailly 69% of 1049 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 713 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw