PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 August 2017

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Good result against a decent looking Leicester side but the performance left a lot to be desired for me.

- I wasn't aware that today's game was actually Manchester United vs Paul Pogba vs Leicester. He had what, 8, 9 hollywood shots on goal in the first half? Before presumably being told to grow up and start playing for the team at half time...and how many of these shots went into the goal or even forced a save? None! At one point he could also have played Blind in but instead he kept hold of the ball for an extra 2 seconds for literally NO other reason than to pose about like a complete prick, and THEN passed Blind the ball when it was too late. Showing off was genuinely more important to him today than his team winning the game of football. Even with someone like Gerrard, at least all the egotistical hollywood crap is with the intention of trying to in the game and take credit for it, rather than just aimed at the camera having time to show your shit haircut to everyone. When is he going to start growing up?

- Where did Blind go during that 10 minute spell where Leicester kept getting in down our left? Unless he was off the pitch getting treatment, it's time to stop playing him in any game where him vanishing into thin air for no reason might be an issue.

- Every time Lukaku got the ball he tried to do the right thing, and nearly every time it went wrong.

- Slightly concerning that we struggled to create a chance against a defence who left someone standing completely still on the penalty spot unmarked, from a corner...and then didnt stop the ball getting to him even though it arrived there at foot height. An organised team who are difficult to break down simply do not do this. Our issue was more that our attacking play was shite. It was 90% aimless balls into the box or in the general direction of Lukaku, and 10% Pogba thinking he was playing Fifa 18.

Still early days for me. I'll take that result. A lot of people saying it would have been a draw last season...but that performance and a missed penalty would have resulted in a draw a good percentage of the time today as well. Rashford was good when he came on...our defence despite being chaotic on occasion looks a lot more organised than the likes of City, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc. We do have a semi control on things which gives us a platform to win games even when we're not playing so well.
And yet his fanboi's pat each other on the back thinking his was a match winning performance. Even Sky got in on the act, giving him the MoM award.

I don't post my frustrations with Pogba much this season because I get accused of negative bias. Luckily his ego has yet to cost us points and that may remain whilst Matic mops up his mistakes behind him.

But he is still far far away from being the supposed world class player some other fans seem to see. I hope he makes it, as he seems to possess many of the requisite requirements. But I still wouldn't gamble my house on him, if I had to.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I am sure you can add West Ham's last game at Upton Park. He had a dreadful game back then.
Yes let's just concentrate on the negatives and forget all the positives Blind brings to the team.

Let's choose about 4/5 games where he made mistakes because he was largely played out of position, and sometimes played into difficult positions by negative tactics(LVG in particular)

At his best he is far the most intelligent player in the back 4/5. Has a great range of passing and reads the game better than most, only now that we have Matic do we have player who is a better reader of the game

Inigo Montoya

And yet his fanboi's pat each other on the back thinking his was a match winning performance. Even Sky got in on the act, giving him the MoM award.

I don't post my frustrations with Pogba much this season because I get accused of negative bias. Luckily his ego has yet to cost us points and that may remain whilst Matic mops up his mistakes behind him.

But he is still far far away from being the supposed world class player some other fans seem to see. I hope he makes it, as he seems to possess many of the requisite requirements. But I still wouldn't gamble my house on him, if I had to.
What game were you watching? Some fatuous posting going on here today!

It was a horrible Matic mistake that should have cost us a goal. I don't see after 3 games, where 'Matic mops up his mistakes.

You don't post your frustrations about Pogba because you have a negative bias, not because you get accused of it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What game were you watching? Some fatuous posting going on here today!

It was a horrible Matic mistake that should have cost us a goal. I don't see after 3 games, where 'Matic mops up his mistakes.

You don't post your frustrations about Pogba because you have a negative bias, not because you get accused of it.
Several times Pogba has gotten caught in possession this season, with Matic winning the ball back several seconds later. Happened yesterday a couple of times too.

I'm just stating facts.

AndyMUFC

Was all about breaking the deadlock and getting the first goal again as Leicester offered little going forward. Thought we'd fudged it with the penalty miss but kept going.

Inigo Montoya

Several times Pogba has gotten caught in possession this season, with Matic winning the ball back several seconds later. Happened yesterday a couple of times too.

I'm just stating facts.
3 games in!!!! 3 games! and you and some others in here are already finding negatives.You still didn't address the horrible Matic pass...but let it slide for the moment

Your'e stating facts as you see them, not objectivity but pure subjectivity. Matic has also lost the ball or failed to spot the break...shall we point that out too or as with me shall we concentrate on improved performances from last year but with obvious areas for development.

How about concentrating on posting about the full back areas where we are lacking real penetration

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
3 games in!!!! 3 games! and you and some others in here are already finding negatives.You still didn't address the horrible Matic pass...but let it slide for the moment

Your'e stating facts as you see them, not objectivity but pure subjectivity. Matic has also lost the ball or failed to spot the break...shall we point that out too or as with me shall we concentrate on improved performances from last year but with obvious areas for development.

How about concentrating on posting about the full back areas where we are lacking real penetration
3 deflections in 4 lines is quite impressive ;)

Inigo Montoya

3 deflections in 4 lines is quite impressive ;)
I'm sure you don't mean to come across as so arrogant but be careful; don't let your brains go to your head;)

On that note, I'll take my leave of this thread

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Overall we fans have to be delighted with the points, the score-lines and the difference Matic has made, not just his own game, but his presence and his input is making others play; in our first three games.

However yesterday we had certain periods in the game, especially up to the point where the subs came on in the second half where we were going back to playing 'statues'! i.e. standing still waiting for ball to feet! I looked across the pitch on several occasions when we were in possession and the only red shirt moving was the man with the ball. This usually occurred when either we ran out of ideas on how to penetrate Leicester's defence, or they 'second guessed' us because we had become 'predictable', at one point every time we went wide, the same 'rinse and repeat' cycle played out and they could have defended with blindfolds on.

Thankfully we jolted ourselves out of it when the reinforcements arrived, its no coincidence that most of our goals have been scored after the subs have arrived, 'good fortune', or master-planning from our manager?;)

Member 99369

We have our weaknesses but this place is just overly negative.

All our rivals have major flaws too, even City who are praised at the start of every season but are often very flawed.

Valencia's crossing was poor today, but having him in at RB allows us to play a non conventional winger on the right. He is defensively solid too which a lot of full backs fail at.
I think the negativity is borne out of our desire to be an elite club again, and recognising that right now our form is good enough against the decent Premier League sides - but there are still a few flaws (width, crossing, corner/free kick/penalty takers, etc...) which still prevent us from matching the top sides.

JohnnyKills

Totally agree with your comments. Too many people getting carried away with 3 wins. Today wasn't looking all that likely and alot of the crossing was totally aimless. Reminded me of the home games last year.

We have got to be more incisive and have more intricate play around and inside the box. Valencia was awful today, he seemingly lacked belief in his own attacking abilities at times.

Still think we're a full back and possibly a winger away from being considered favourites for the league at this stage.
Yeah. Would be a shame if we don't spend between now and deadline day. I think we'll be in the top three and to be honest I'd take that, but we're close to being a genuinely top team.

Robertd0803

Really thought it was going to be one of those games with Schmeiceal having a great game and the penalty miss. Luckily Rashford read the script and played the role of super sub. Wonder if anyone complained about Lingard and Fellaini combining for the second goal?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think the negativity is borne out of our desire to be an elite club again, and recognising that right now our form is good enough against the decent Premier League sides - but there are still a few flaws (width, crossing, corner/free kick/penalty takers, etc...) which still prevent us from matching the top sides.
Walk before we run.

Before the season started most of this forum thought we would struggle for top 4 ( we might still) but we've done much better than expected.

Look at our last 4 league seasons. A sense of realism needs to hit some of the people on here.

Pavl3n

Yes let's just concentrate on the negatives and forget all the positives Blind brings to the team.

Let's choose about 4/5 games where he made mistakes because he was largely played out of position, and sometimes played into difficult positions by negative tactics(LVG in particular)

At his best he is far the most intelligent player in the back 4/5. Has a great range of passing and reads the game better than most, only now that we have Matic do we have player who is a better reader of the game
Didn't mean to list all the negatives. Just supporting someone and his thesis. The guy has steadied the ship though, just like a lot of other players, since Mourinho came. But to me he's still a suspect at CB.
He's playing to the maximum potential of his abilities these few games. Helps the team, but still he's a level behind the others.

Klopp_De_Klown

He was exposed by Mahrez on saturday, the sooner Shaw is back the better. I dont care if he can drop a ball on a sixpence. I want him to do his job and defend. A better side would of punished us.

Was all about breaking the deadlock and getting the first goal again as Leicester offered little going forward. Thought we'd fudged it with the penalty miss but kept going.
Yep pretty much right.

We never really got out of second gear i thought. Won this at a canter, not that it was as easy as it sounds but we were not going full out. We looked solid and got our much deserved goals. We need to see if Matic can take pens because our conversion rate is not as good as we should have at the level we want to be at. Maybe if Shaw or Tony V can take them they might be a bit more cool under pressure.

These were no bad side, did Vardy get a sniff. Thought we did a lot right but its starting to look more and more you need to hit us down the left. We have no left winger and Daly Blind is not a long term solution. We miss Shaw and Rojo so badly. Pogs needs to get a bit of Keane in him and play the simple ball a little more often and he has bags of pace and power why is he not using it when he squares players up. Lukaku has also to up his game, in terms of breaking down buses. Should be dragging his marker ontop of the free center back and a bit more clever movent to start creating spaces for others.
It is good to see that two teams tried the bus and it didn't work. Last week and especially on saturday, would of been games we'd of drew last season.

It looks, at least to me, that we grind teams down. Soon as we bring on fresh legs, teams dont seem able to keep with us.

The main thing is that out of our first 7 very winnable games, its 3 down 4 to go. Add in to that a cup match and 2 CL games and we have 7 games in september. If we remain unbeaten and start rotating players to keep all the squad fresh we should be in good shape when we head to anfield.

So its off to Stoke we go in a few weeks time.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not the best performance but we dominated and ultimately came up with the goals.

For the first time in a long time I felt like it was just a matter of time for us to score, rather than squeaky bum time towards the end of the match.

Cantonagotmehere

Agree with pretty much everything, though Pogba trying shots when their defence is packed is not a problem imo. He's a good shooter nearly scored couple of times.

If this team had 2 great fullbacks it'd be amazing. Hope Shaw get his act together. With Valencia being 32yo and the similarly aged Young as back-up (and on the final year of his contract) we are due a new RB pretty soon.
This is very true, I want him to keep firing.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If this game showed anything, it's our need for full backs with a stronger offensive game. We don't need wingers who hug the byline, but fullbacks who can attack and cross the ball properly. They gave Valencia acres of space to cross the ball because they knew he wouldn't be dangerous with them just the way they didn't respect, knowing he wouldn't be able to beat them with the ball at his feet. As a result, they were able to pack the middle. As long as we don't have full backs who need to be respected going forward, the opponent can pack the box against us.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You must've watched some other game.

I agree about the Pogba bit, but as far as keeping possession and moving the ball quickly. 2 of his shots were very close and one was on target. Yes he had 6 shots in the first half, but with the time and space he found himself he should take shots.

Our defense looked really solid for the bigger part of the game. Of course they would push for an equalizer with 10-15 min to go and of course they would put us under pressure. They are a good team going forward. Jones was quite solid.

I think you're one of the few who are so disappointed with the team. Of course there are still areas to improve, but I think you're too harsh.
How many of these 30 yard efforts has he had since he joined the club, probably over 100 now? And so far none of them have managed to find their way into the goal. The long range goals he has scored have been from the edge of the area when the ball has been laid or broken back to him. i.e. when having a shot actually makes sense. Yeah a couple of them were close, but they didn't go in. The closest one was also as close to the keeper's hand as it was to the post so would have been saved anyway.

Our defending once they had the lead was o, and it was ok in general. We just had a spell where they seemed to have acres of spce on our left. They got in there twice. On another occasion they would have been clean through on goal if one of their players hadn't failed to spot a very simple pass. These are tings that can lead to losing a game instead of winning one, and which are preventable by players not going on walkabouts for unknown reasons.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed. I thougt it was an ok performance against a Leicester side who, to be fair, looked decent...but it wasn't a great performance either. We laboured in our attacking play, and we looked vulnerable on occasion on the break. We missed a penalty, and then when we did score it was down to basic defensive errors rather than s forcing it. It wasn't a game you can look back on and say we dug out a win in a way we wouldn't have 12 months ago, I don't think. It was a game that was drifting and then we scored.

Aspects of our performance were still very positive. We look very organised. We controlled the game well. Once we scored I thought there was little danger of us not winning...which IS a big differennce from last year. We look a lot more confident in ourselves and our gameplan than we did 12 or even 6 months ago. It's just early days and I thought Satarday was one of those days where we didn't really turn on the style or force the result. To be honest we could be the best team in the league by a country mile and there'd still be games like that, so after 3 league games it's difficult to read too much into it either way.

@noodlehair :lol: Come on, dude. How can you extract some many negatives from that performance?
I watched some of it back and I've no complaints about the effort, intensity, etc. I just thought we struggled to create openings and Pogba's performance was extremely irritating annd also disruptive to his own team. We'll play far worse this season for sure, but we'll also play a lot better.

He is weird as one week he'll cut out all the crap and look a superb player, then the next suddenly he's back to dallying around every time he picks up the ball, trying to score impossible goals and ignoring his team mates in the process, giving away the ball in the middle of the pitch due to daydreaming etc. It's like his brain hasn't yet figured out the difference between a good performance and a bad one.

I'm not saying I want him to cut out all the flash stuff, because I actually enjooy wwatching all that...but it's those times in games where he seems to decide he is playing for himself rather than the team. Where attempting to walk past 3 people on his own and thump the ball in from 30 yards seems more important to him than feeding the ball 6 yards forwards to his completely unmarked team mate. It's not a bloody school playground, and I'm not sure he's quite figured that out yet.

red_john

Another positive win. I wanted Lukaku to keep his scoring up. Disappointed with his penalty. Hopefully he takes the next ones and slots it.

Will Absolute

I'm not saying I want him to cut out all the flash stuff, because I actually enjooy wwatching all that...but it's those times in games where he seems to decide he is playing for himself rather than the team. Where attempting to walk past 3 people on his own and thump the ball in from 30 yards seems more important to him than feeding the ball 6 yards forwards to his completely unmarked team mate. It's not a bloody school playground, and I'm not sure he's quite figured that out yet.
Vanity. Some 'stars' start believing their own hype, while others keep their feet on the ground. I suspect being hailed as a football Messiah returning to Manchester to redeem the sins of the club isn't the very best thing for a 23 year old with a weak head.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Most importantly. In the last 3 matches we had total control of the matches. Dominance and power.
Of course we are not perfect. No team is. But we are getting there.
Its obvious Mourinho is serious about all the trophies.
keeping the powder dry for the CL by keeping Herrera fresh.

Cant wait for Stoke.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Most importantly. In the last 3 matches we had total control of the matches. Dominance and power.

Cant wait for Stoke.
Hope Mourinho isn't that serious about the League Cup and plays the second team.
Herrera not playing any game isn't exactly keeping him fresh.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not the best performance but we dominated and ultimately came up with the goals.

For the first time in a long time I felt like it was just a matter of time for us to score, rather than squeaky bum time towards the end of the match.
That's the biggest difference for me. The performance was alright but I knew we'd get a goal in.

World Game

The one negative for me:

IIRC the last 3 opening goals were scored were from 1 counterattack and 2 set pieces. While it's good to score in these ways, I would like to see the team prove they can break down a parked bus without these "shortcut" opportunities. All 3 games we looked poor until the opening goal which then obviously changes the rest of the game and allows us to finish strongly and people will always remember the last part of a game more than the first part.

SalfordRed1960

Cant wait for Stoke.
It is also worth pointing out that all 3 teams just parked the bus. We have yet to meet a team that likes to play or fancies there chance against us. We have scored quite a few goals this season once they open up to try and get something. What is it something like 3 shots against us, pretty p*ss poor from the opposition.

I expect Stoke to continue the park the bus trend, so expecting lots of frustration and possession.

Like to see Miki step up a gear or two, I was expecting him to be the creativity for a packed back line. I would like Jose to try a Rashford and Martial up front with a bit of freedom to allow Blind and Valencia to provide the width.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It is also worth pointing out that all 3 teams just parked the bus. We have yet to meet a team that likes to play or fancies there chance against us. We have scored quite a few goals this season once they open up to try and get something. What is it something like 3 shots against us, pretty p*ss poor from the opposition.

I expect Stoke to continue the park the bus trend, so expecting lots of frustration and possession.

Like to see Miki step up a gear or two, I was expecting him to be the creativity for a packed back line. I would like Jose to try a Rashford and Martial up front with a bit of freedom to allow Blind and Valencia to provide the width.
I agree mostly.

Think it is easier to play teams that actually want to come at us.
We have a team that can hurt such teams with the power and speed we have.

EDIT:
We need to be more clinical in our finishing. We are making enough chances.

Last edited:

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Think Herrera will play in the CL matches for sure.
We have a big enough squad to give a good showing in the LC and FA Cup.
If Herrera is playing the Champions League matches, then that would mean disrupting the current and eventual winning setup, 4-2-3-1. Anyway, it would be crazy not to use Herrera but in the Champions.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Vanity. Some 'stars' start believing their own hype, while others keep their feet on the ground. I suspect being hailed as a football Messiah returning to Manchester to redeem the sins of the club isn't the very best thing for a 23 year old with a weak head.
Yeah but that's exactly it. The really top players don't have weak heads. Even if they do have the vanity, they will turn it into a strength by realising how they can be most effective in a game.

Pogba doesn't seem to have that link in his head between wanting to be the main man, and realising what he should do to make himself the main man.

He is never going to be as effective as he can be by trying to score wonder goals 6+ times a game, or by trying to stroll through half the opposition team in slow motion just to prove he can. These things actually do the opposite and have a massive negative impact on his overall game...to the point last season where at times it literally meant he was the worst player on the pitch instead of the best.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 703 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 3:1 Leicester
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Leicester