PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 August 2017

ChaddyP

I thought, as a team it was probably our best display today. Always knew that goal was coming.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Someone tell me who to pick as MotM. I'm not sure. No-one was bad but it was just a determined team effort, the tryers did as much as the boys who actually had some success. Pogba?

Part of me wants to pick Bailly for having Vardy so firmly in his pocket all night.
I picked Jones. He added great stability, won so many important challenges. Positionally sound, didnt give them a sniff. Showed true grit. Pogba was very very good too, adds a touch of class, but can be a bit wacky at times.

Carolina Red

Staff
His timing of tackles. His marshalling the area and reading of the game. All top notch.
Loved a couple of his runs up field. And that was foul when he got stopped.

Just stay fit Jones. Solid professional. The fact he is English makes me even happier. :)
I joked about it last week, but maybe SAF wasn't that far off when he said he saw a great defender in Jones. Here's hoping this will be the season where it truly begins to show in him.

ghagua

Great win. Good performance. Only down side was Lukaku missing the penalty. We really do need a wide right sided player with a little bit of pace and trickery. Anyone notice how long Fellaini and Pogba were talking to Mahrez at the end. Was it just because they speak the same language, or was there something else.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Lukaku did well. But the Leicester defence was solid and gave him little room.
This is where a solid squad makes a difference. Bring on the subs and change the game.
You can see the control and discipline.

We will take some stopping.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Great win. Good performance. Only down side was Lukaku missing the penalty. We really do need a wide right sided player with a little bit of pace and trickery. Anyone notice how long Fellaini and Pogba were talking to Mahrez at the end. Was it just because they speak the same language, or was there something else.
Mahrez is crap.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Lukaku wanted to score the penalty so he could break some record. Bad judgement from him, Pogba and Mata for letting. If we were already winning, then ok, not when it's still 0-0.

Dominos

Is it just me who thought we struggled to create chances against a packed defence, similar to Swansea for 80 minutes? No surprise the breakthrough in both games came from a set piece.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lukaku wanted to score the penalty so he could break some record. Bad judgement from him, Pogba and Mata for letting. If we were already winning, then ok, not when it's still 0-0.
He wanted to take it to score a goal. I wonder if he even knew about no player scoring in first 3 for us!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I joked about it last week, but maybe SAF wasn't that far off when he said he saw a great defender in Jones. Here's hoping this will be the season where it truly begins to show in him.
He's always been a good defender. People seem to have mixed up a lot of injuries with being crap.
But then Smalling suffers from massive swings in opinion too. Between the pair probably more than anyone else.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Couldn't see us signing him, as it'd in effect be the end of Mata, and all of Jose's signings are pacy, physically powerful players or both.

Alabaster Codify7

Happy with that, we showed resilience to keep probing away after the penalty miss and 5-0 wouldn't have been flattering.

PROS
- 3 x clean sheet from three games.
- Bailly and Jones look a formidable partnership.
- Midfield was dominant.

CONS
- Lukaku had one of his off-days, there will be a few of them.
- We could've easily scored more.

Onwards and upwards again, shame it's an international break next weekend.

AshRK

Our best victory . Missed a pen and it seemed we are having another draw coming our away but we look so composed and scoring goals for fun. We could have had 4 again today.

One area we must improve is crossing. Both our full backs are horrendous crossers. Cross properly ffs.

Very happy for rashford, he needed that goal. Great stuff from him. Lukaku was unlucky but he will score goals. He needs to be involved more in the game.

Mkhi was poor but he again gets an assist. He is making ozil and kdb look like chump at this rate. Mata was better than mkhi.

Martial was very good. Top performance, a goal could have been great but I hope jose gives him run of games.

Matic is a beast and so are our defenders. Really impressed with jones. Hope he stays fit and forms a long term partnership. He needs to stay fit. De gea was boss and just love having a world class gk like him.

Special mention to fellaini. Not his fan but he has been putting some real decent performance. Happy for him. Nice lad and deserves credit.

All in all things are looking really good. I know we won 3 out of 3 last time also but this season we are looking better. If only , we had fullbacks who could cross also. Excited to see Liverpool arsenal tomorrow. Hopefully Chelsea drop some.points too. Things are really looking good , now let us continue this good run and stay clear ahead of our rivals .

legball

It was a good game, in a strange way. Jones was outstanding, the other players were OK. We need top quality fullbacks (LB & RB) & a right winger.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Happy with that, we showed resilience to keep probing away after the penalty miss and 5-0 wouldn't have been flattering.

PROS
- 3 x clean sheet from three games.
- Bailly and Jones look a formidable partnership.
- Midfield was dominant.

CONS
- Lukaku had one of his off-days, there will be a few of them.
- We could've easily scored more.

Onwards and upwards again, shame it's an international break next weekend.
Not always a good thing when one of these dreadful breaks kills momentum.

But we've a strong squad now, in case there's any niggles going around.

Games will come round furiously when we're back, so we can take stock now.
The likes of Herrera, Smalling and Darmian to come in for some rotation soon.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I predicted 2-1 to us, so pleased to have a clean sheet. Don't know what we were doing for that last-minute chance that De Gea saved but IIRC it was their only real opportunity.

I'm pretty certain this would've been a 0-0 draw or a loss last season. The difference this year is that our bench is delivering and our quality is finding a way to win games. And we've also had some luck - Schmeichel wasn't far from saving Rashford's goal. That's also something we didn't have in similar games then.

Martial I thought put in a good 1st half. He seemed to fade from the game but he was a menace earlier on and played an excellent ball to Pogba that he should've scored with. Mkhitaryan didn't look at the races today and frankly, there have been stretches of the first 3 games where he's looked kind of listless. He seems to perk up when everyone around him is starting to get space to play in, which I think has helped to pad his record so far this year. I rate him highly, but he needs to put in a full 90.

Lukaku was awful. I don't expect the guy to score every time he touches the ball but how many times in the game did he lose the ball in his feet? He also kept holding the ball too long when he could've shot and I don't understand why he took the penalty - his penalty record has never been good and it gave me flashbacks of the FA Cup semi from a couple of seasons ago. It may be true that Schmeichel false-started but I don't think Lukaku took it particularly well.

Defence, I have no complaints about. Vardy was never a threat in the game and we did well to contain Gray after he came on. Everyone in the backline knew their job. Matic very good again, as was Fellaini.

So we're at an interesting point now. We won our first 3 matches last season when the international break came and then we had the City defeat...
This whole post was ruined by the Lukaku line.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Probably our most dominant performance of the season, just with less goals to celebrate this time.

Don't know about the rest of you but I saw a title winning team out there today. Relentless pressure from the get go, and although Leicester defended for all they were worth, you just knew we would score.

That feeling of inevitability has returned. No stopping us now, we are going to win the league.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We'd have 100% drawn that game last season, the fact that we didn't makes me very very happy

Also, pretty sure Damarai Gray is the fastest man on the planet

kotha

Don't think I have quiet enjoyed a match like today in the past couple of seasons.. Even though it was 0-0 till 70 mins, it felt like such an enjoyable match.. I was getting ready for the old days wherein Fergie would get the players to throw the kitchen sink at them after 85 mins.. Not the haplessness feeling during Moyes and LVG's reign..

We need to improve our home form compared to last season and we will be good place..

BIGbadBOO4

Martial had a great first half. He was the one most likely to score or create, looks like he got that arrogance back in his game. Jones was very good today, he needs to stay fit as he is an excellent defender. Lukaku don't take anymore pens please.

DMacgraw

So many comments about our crossing from the full backs not being good enough. Be that as it may, I don't think crossing into the box when the opposition has 9 players in and around the box is the solution that so many posters seem to think. I would point out the game during the Moyes year when we sent 89 crosses into the box with no effect, and all the draws we had last year, as examples of the general ineffectiveness of approach. The solution to opposing teams packing the area with bodies is not simply lobbing balls into the box, the defenders will just head it out all day. The surer way to break up packed defenses is to employ clever movement and passing angles to open up scoring opportunities, as Real Madrid showed us in the Intercontinental Cup, and as Barcelona has demonstrated for several years. Every team in the league, except perhaps Arsenal, Liverpool and City, would park the bus against us. We need to improve our movement and passing angles in the final third in order to break down packed defenses, and discourage teams from employing that tactic time and time again against us.

Lan

Philippe Jones motm.

Nice to see agent P at work again at the end of the match.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Bit of the old feeling that the goal was inevitable today.

Also very positive sub's and encouraging that we're going in to kill teams off rather than shit ourselves and try defend a one nil lead.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Happy with the win of course, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

I wish we still had the likes of Fabio and Rafael at the club.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Bit of the old feeling that the goal was inevitable today.

Also very positive sub's and encouraging that we're going in to kill teams off rather than shit ourselves and try defend a one nil lead.
And that's such a huge transformation vs the post SAF feeling of not knowing what response we would pull out at all.

Amazing that Mourinho has reinstalled our 'aura' in just 3 games. With a relatively easy run of goes through September before we play other top 6 sides, we could be way ahead of the pack.

Classic Mourinho start to a season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We scored 54 league goals during the whole of last season. This season we've already scored 10 in just 3 games. Lukaku, Pogba, Martial, Bailly, Rashford and Fellaini already have goals to their name too.

That's the biggest plus for me. Three clean sheets is also good. A GD of 10 already. How significant that could be next year! :drool:

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Give mourinho his 4th signing, spunk that money on the player he wants.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We'd have 100% drawn that game last season, the fact that we didn't makes me very very happy

Also, pretty sure Damarai Gray is the fastest man on the planet
And I wasnt concerned at all as I was totally confident our class would show through.

Even when Lukaku missed the penalty, I was certain we'd still go on to win

Riz

Delighted with that really, slow start at the beginning of the first half but utterly dominated them and as others have mentioned the goals felt inevitable. Not only would we have dropped points last season, as everyone has mentioned, but there was always that sense last year of it being "one of those days" watching, today was just so confident that we'd find the breakthrough. Could've easily been more.

Excellent start to the season, played 2 relegation candidates and dispatched them with ease hitting 4 both times then a slightly trickier test against a decent Leicester side and comfortably cruised it. Bring on Stoke!

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 703 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 3:1 Leicester
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Leicester