PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Fri, 10 August 2018

kirk buttercup

I really hope Jose tries Sanchez on the right and lets him and Lukaku to swap around during games. Place Martial on the left and with finally competent midfield behind them in Pogba, Fred, Matic we might finally see some good football not to forget Dalot/Valencia instead on Darmian is going to make a hell of the impact on our right flank.
If I'm not mistaken that's what Belgium did with Lukaku. I thought he was pretty powerful running down the Right hand Side

Jericholyte2

I think there's a lot to be excited for from this:

Bailly and Lindelof looked pretty good. Keep them fit and the partnership could be great.

Shaw was sid even without the goal. Keep it going.

Pogba was a machine.

Fred looks like he could be our Essien.

Perreira looked class - this could be the changer, we now have someone who can be creative in the middle who can either start or come from the bench when Matic starts.

Sanchez, whilst kept giving the ball away, was trying to make things happen. This will click in time.

We also have Rashford to get fully fit, Lukaku, Martial, Lingard all to to come back fully. Valencia to come back from injury and Dalot to come through.

Seven Seas Sardines

Should at least try it, as i'm not sure we really have yet.
I think with Fred being deeper than Pogba, and Dalot hopefully proving his worth right off the bat, playing on the right will allow Sanchez to push further forward and closer to Lukaku. No-brainer to try it out really, but we don't seem to have much brains running the club at the moment.

Dalot-Fred-Sanchez could be a really good right side, with Shaw-Pogba-Martial on the other.

I'm willing to go as far as to say our starting XI could win the league if managed properly, unfortunately that's a big if. Annoying when the potential is there on every position.

Martial Lukaku Sanchez
Pogba Fred
Matic
Shaw Lindelöf Bailly Dalot
De Gea​

Last edited:

AndyMUFC

Just played in spells but got the job done. Leicester had far too much of the ball first half for a vising team at OT but we kept them fairly quiet and after that and will be a confidence boost for Luke Shaw to get his first senior goal.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
3/3 points, can't complain. Fred looked good, Pereira looked good, Pog turned up. Shaw scored...

Conceding the late goal really annoyed me because they hadn't done all that much. Martial should get his LW spot back and push Sanchez to the RW
What makes it "his" LW spot? If anything he should get the nod over Rashford if Rashford plays on the RW, only because Rashford seems to have seriously lost his way over the past half season.

Last edited:

shield

My only gripe is, we have a good bordering on great midfield now but Mourinho's tactics are too conservative to help them develop.

For them to progress they need to see more of the ball. Annoys me to see our players stand deep and try to chase and disrupt opponent moves. This is OK for people like Fellaini, McTominay but Pogba, Pereira, Matic, Fred can do much much better and really dominate games. We need to stop this off the ball domination nonsense.

tomaldinho1

What makes it "his" LW spot? If anything he should get the nod over Rashford if Rashford plays on the RW, only because Rashford seems to have seriously lost his way over the past half season.
Because he plays there for us...

Bestietom

Not a great performance but 3 points won. We still have players to come back and what I have seen in this first game gives me hope. There will be a big battle for places in Midfield now with Pereira and Fred added.

Forwards need to buck up and start scoring, but it's only first game, and they are not fully match fit. We still have plenty of funds for the January window and we should be on the lookout now.

downunder red

Just watched the game for the fist time and thought defensively we were pretty good. The last ten minutes were a bit dodgy due to a lack of fitness.
As for the forwards a lot of work is needed. I really think Sanchez is trying to hard; hopefully he settles in and starts playing like we know he can.

steffyr2

Has anyone thought that Rashford and Martial looked so good because the rest of the team sucked? And that now they don't look nearly so good because the rest of the team is better?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My only gripe is, we have a good bordering on great midfield now but Mourinho's tactics are too conservative to help them develop.

For them to progress they need to see more of the ball. Annoys me to see our players stand deep and try to chase and disrupt opponent moves. This is OK for people like Fellaini, McTominay but Pogba, Pereira, Matic, Fred can do much much better and really dominate games. We need to stop this off the ball domination nonsense.
How do you see a good / great midfield? We were outplayed in midfield on Friday by an average Leicester team. We have nobody who can actually control the game from midfield.

It was an abject performance, it was not a tactical decision to concede possession, our players were not good enough to win the ball back.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Has anyone thought that Rashford and Martial looked so good because the rest of the team sucked? And that now they don't look nearly so good because the rest of the team is better?
It's partially true of course, but I think the two have genuine talent. Rashford, when he broke into the first team, had great positioning in the box and a fine, instinctive finish. He demonstrated his ability to lead the line from time to time, culminating in a superb performance against Chelsea in Jose's first season, when he was described as more Diego Costa than Diego Costa himself by the commentators. He did well in the first half of last season as well. The second half was when his decision-making and finishing turned to shit. His finishes have lost their finesse - he just seems to strike the ball as hard as he can now. He attempts to shoot from ridiculous positions. I blame Cristiano Ronaldo for this. Hopefully he improves with maturity but I think he desperately needs a guiding hand now.

Martial just seems to have stagnated. Good dribbler, good finisher, but doesn't seem very adaptable to systems or positions that he doesn't favour. Less worried about him though, think his issue is more the lack of motivation, and he needs to up his workrate (a lot!).

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
How do you see a good / great midfield? We were outplayed in midfield on Friday by an average Leicester team. We have nobody who can actually control the game from midfield.

It was an abject performance, it was not a tactical decision to concede possession, our players were not good enough to win the ball back.
Does Leicester have a better midfield than us?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You already made your mind up before you posted this just admit it.

Not a full team
Pogba was gassed after half an hour
Darmian was on the pitch

But yeah lets forget facts.
It was against Leicester. At home.

BulgarianDevil91

With 8 days between our 1st and 2nd games and then another 7 between our 2nd and 3rd ones, I hope the players build fitness and confidence to take on Tottenham. Spurs might've not made any signings but they're still a hard team to play. 9 points out of 9 possible is more than achievable and it should give us a nice boost for the following 4 games against "lesser" teams.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh so Leicester are shite now? Okay!
Not saying they are shite, but they are not top team either. We were dominated by Leicester, who actually a counter attacking team, where ball possession shouldn't be their biggest strength. While playing at home.

But it's ok if you think our performance was acceptable and brought optimism. It's all just a POV, anyway.

haram

Pogba and Lukaku are probably our two most important players. Pogba only had 3 days training, Lukaku did not start.

Bailly and Lindelof have never started a competitive game together. It will take time to build a partnership.

Can argue that both of our first choice fullbacks were missing. Shaw did well though. Darmian is probably third choice RB.

Andreas starting his first competitive game as the deepest midfielder, I would imagine the others around him would have made an extra effort to help him with the defensive side of the game, which is obviously weaker than Matic’s. It was also Fred’s competitive debut.

We can do better but all things considered, it’s a good start.

RedTiger

Half mast
Pogba and Lukaku are probably our two most important players. Pogba only had 3 days training, Lukaku did not start.

Bailly and Lindelof have never started a competitive game together. It will take time to build a partnership.

Can argue that both of our first choice fullbacks were missing. Shaw did well though. Darmian is probably third choice RB.

Andreas starting his first competitive game as the deepest midfielder, I would imagine the others around him would have made an extra effort to help him with the defensive side of the game, which is obviously weaker than Matic’s. It was also Fred’s competitive debut.

Hear hear. The first game of a season is never an indication of how things will go. The fact we came out of this first game with 3 points is good enough.

Kag

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Lindelof Shaw
Fred Matic Pogba
Lingard Lukaku Sanchez

Lingard would make that more of a diamond in attacking phases (what even are they Jose?), ideally.

I don't really rate Lindelof but it's only right to give him a proper run at it. I'd also like to see Dalot and Pereira see genuine opportunities in place of Valencia and Matic as the season moves on. I think Martial is brilliant but I'm not daft either. He isn't going to get a regular run of games so, all in all, I think that's our go-to side.

It's a very good one, even in spite of lacking that extra 'star' player out on the right. We should, at the very least, be able to outscore Bournemouth, shouldn't we?

Krisp00

A good starting point. Hopefully we can start to see the midfield 3 get forward a little more.

The passing was very neat and tidy and we won the ball back quickly at times but I didn't see too many supporting runs from Pogba, Fred and Pereira.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
You already made your mind up before you posted this just admit it.

Not a full team
Pogba was gassed after half an hour
Darmian was on the pitch

But yeah lets forget facts.
Like I said a win is a win. If you think performances will improve then I guess we shall have to see. I’m sure there will be the odd good game. If you’re happy with what has been served over the last couple of seasons then good for you. I watch football to be entertained not bored half to death. I hope I’m wrong about the coming season and that we play some stellar games but I can’t see it.

Offsideagain

Was it a great save from Schmeichel or a glaring miss from Lukaku? Fred will be suspended before Christmas given the way he tackles. Thought we looked pretty solid in defence.

A good starting point. Hopefully we can start to see the midfield 3 get forward a little more.

The passing was very neat and tidy and we won the ball back quickly at times but I didn't see too many supporting runs from Pogba, Fred and Pereira.

You wouldn't see it much from Pereira - I was expecting Pogba do this

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not a great deal to be gained from over-analysis of this game. Half of the team were clearly not match fit - getting a win was all that mattered. Onwards we go.

However.....

Rashford seems to have lost his mojo completely. I'd give him a month out of the side personally. He's played too much football for a lad of his age

The right side of the team is as bad as ever. Its what made Leicester look half decent, and Chilwell the new Roberto Carlos. Its unfathomable that we haven't purchased anybody to play there. We'll have another season of that position being shared around a handful of very good players that just don't suit that role (Mata, Lingard, Rashford). For a club with our resources its difficult to understand.

Colombian Mancunian

We played good, specially considering our most important players came from teams who played the 7 matches of the World Cup.

I don’t know why people obsess about possesion, what matter are the goals! I’m actually angrier because of Vardy goal than for “possesion” stats.

I hope Sánchez gets to play as second striker coming from the right interchanging with Lukaku. Valencia, Fred and Sanchez/Lukaku can provide enough danger.

I also hope Martial man ups, and fights for his place as LW, and leaves the drama at home.

keener

My biggest complaint with our performance this game, and with most games, is after we scored early, we attacked for the first 10 minutes and then we went too defensive for the remainder of the half. I'm not convinced that it's Mourinho telling them to play this manner but he certainly could coach us out of it. We have the players to play attacking and aggressive football for 90 minutes but it's Jose's instincts as well as possibly some of our players to do so as well. Watch how we began dropping back and instead of pressing at 3/4 field, we began pressing more in the last 1/3. The 2nd half was far far better.

But too my point, the garbage I see on media and and sometimes on the Cafe makes me think that people either don't watch the game or don't remember the entire game. We played very fast and aggressive early in the game and for much of the 2nd half. I want it to become our DNA to press, run, attack and counter but we have some significant forces working against this idea and thus I'm sure I'll be disappointed in the end.

TheReligion

Abusive
We played good, specially considering our most important players came from teams who played the 7 matches of the World Cup.

I don’t know why people obsess about possesion, what matter are the goals! I’m actually angrier because of Vardy goal than for “possesion” stats.

I hope Sánchez gets to play as second striker coming from the right interchanging with Lukaku. Valencia, Fred and Sanchez/Lukaku can provide enough danger.

I also hope Martial man ups, and fights for his place as LW, and leaves the drama at home.
Agreed regarding the front players

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Total Touches in Opponents Penalty Area:
  1. Liverpool - 41
  2. City - 36
  3. Tottenham - 24
  4. Chelsea - 22
  5. Arsenal - 17
  6. United - 12
Total Shots:
  1. Liverpool - 18
  2. City - 17
  3. Tottenham - 15
  4. Chelsea - 13
  5. Arsenal - 9
  6. United - 8
Same warning signs as last season tbh. Not enough presence in the opponents penalty area. It's worrying.

Total Touches in Opponents Penalty Area:
  1. Liverpool - 41
  2. City - 36
  3. Tottenham - 24
  4. Chelsea - 22
  5. Arsenal - 17
  6. United - 12
Total Shots:
  1. Liverpool - 18
  2. City - 17
  3. Tottenham - 15
  4. Chelsea - 13
  5. Arsenal - 9
  6. United - 8
Same warning signs as last season tbh. Not enough presence in the opponents penalty area. It's worrying.
We can only hope Mckenna and Carrick can help us improve on this.

Hopefully yeah.

Fun fact, Sterling had 11 touches in the penalty area against Arsenal. Only 1 less touch than all of our players against Leicester. :eek:

Shaw and Rashford had the most touches for us, both on 3.
Can't say I'm surprised - it's such a poor show

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 42% of 1017 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 733 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win