PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 February 2019

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Hardworking scrappy win .

Sanchez and Lingard weak and ineffective. Matic caught in possession a few times
Defence was fine . Pogba and Herrera good. Excellent goal by Pogba/Rashford.
Other than the free kick DDG didn't have much to do and we didn't look in much danger.

Some weird comments on here, must be of a very nervous disposition who faint every time the opposition touch the ball. Comfortable win.

Not spectacular but fine with wins like that. Had plenty of wins like that under SAF.

Onwards and upwards.

E-mal

Very shite performance, alot of poor quality players in our team.

logan99

Poor game. Young only makes poor decisions {Herrera must be the captain}. Nobody tried to kick. There was no speed in the passes. The midfield looks tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky Buttons

So important to win on days like this, galvanizing our newfound winning mentality. But holy crap we looked knackered in the second half and couldn't string together more than a couple of passes before losing possession, our counter attacks were poor and we lost concentration in defence.

Al-T

Hard fought win. I'll take that and see Ole happy afterwards rather than Mourinho's torn face.
Players are clearly not fit enough to play the style Ole wants for the full match and his options off the bench are limited. Lukaku reminds me of the Governments 'Plant a Tree in '73' campaign so immobile is he.

Ciddy

Personally think Young is getting a rough ride in here today. He’s 33 and once again was up and down that right hand side because we don’t have anyone else seemingly capable to play on the right. Sanchez doesn’t have to defend at all and did nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Joseunited

We look tired but we take the 3 points and move on
How did we look tired? Pogba was busting a gut late in the game bursting through the middle of the park, Shaw and Young still found themselves high up the pitch too at the end.Second half was lazy but the boys were never tired.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I am not sure how much of Leicester did thode complaining watch, but they are very very very tough to beat.

They did not have any big chances apart from the Vardy overhead so this was a superb display in my opinion.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Typical. Game raising cvnts up their game for Anfield to nick a draw then go for early hollies at home against midtable sides when the cameras aren't flashing as brightly.

kundalini

Ridiculous number of sloppy short pass and long passes that went nowhere near the intended target. Matic, Herrera and Pogba awful in midfield, Young intent on giving the ball away.

Rashford needs to threaten the centre of the penalty area more, rather than drifting wide. Should have got his early header on target, super goal then not in the game enough.

Shaw started really well, then horrible last 15 mins, giving away stupid free-kicks, inviting more pressure. Bailly horrible back-pass conceding an early corner but improved after that.

De Gea played well, one worrying moment when he didn't take Vardy's over-head kick cleanly.

hobbers

What I will say is that Young playing absolute shit (and it was absolute shit) is more excusable than Lingard or Sanchez's total shockers today, given the amount of football they've all played.

Lingard had a rest against Burnley and Sanchez has had a rest all fecking season. No excuses for them. Young is definitely burned out and feeling the pressure from being 33 years old and our only decent RB.

Ivor Ballokov

Not sure if it was the pitch playing a bit slow but our passing was awful.

Lingard was lucky that Sanchez was somehow worse than him, both looked miles off the pace and it's hard to build any momentum when those two kept losing it.

We struggled to get Pogba in the game enough, brilliant assist and some good moments in general but not enough impact throughout.

Matic should have been off, was pretty woeful in general. too, a replacement in the summer is a must.

Still room for improvement with Lindelof but his progress this season has been hugely impressive, could be in with a shout for our player of the season if he keeps this up.

Mike Dean is shite, gave about a million yellow cards but missed two reds. Got in the way a few times too.

Love how people complain that the players look knackered, and last week they complained that Ole rotated players.

Caf logic is awesome!

Important 3 points, Leicester is a tough team.
There's nothing illogical about that, that's the whole point: Why do we look so drained when we rotated players last game?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And some still don't think we need a ready-made attacker, and possibly another back up. Rashford or Martial off, and we're fvcked.

Tony247

This was the match players collectively froze their brains. The match went to a ridiculous level of who is more shite? us or them?

- only DDG, Lindelof and Herrera had some sanity left.
- rashford lost himself after the knock in first half
- Alexis, Matic and Pogba all three gave up the game immediately after the goal.
- Young went AWOL
- Lingard was just a reluctant observer
- Shaw was good in first half but then entered the shite competition
- Bailly started with loose brain but after after receiving knock on head his brain kinda slotted in place. he was okay thereafter

Even Mendy tried so much to get that illusive red card but wasn't successful. He too had a off day with mike dean.

Today more shite team lost. That's it.

hobbers

It's nice how the glaring weaknesses in our squad have crystallised with Ole.

We can see we need a CB to partner Lindelof. We can see we need a first choice top right back. We can see we badly need an upgrade on Matic and we desperately need an upgrade on Lingard.

GM K

Last week, we could have lost but we drew. Today, we could have drawn but we won.
I am happy.

Only those who think we can sustain the level the team was for the first six weeks after Jose will be disappointed. News Flash: In the real world of football, the top teams are those who win even when they are playing poorly.

Let's hope the lads can step up their game next week while they keep winning.

OLLY ORANGE

How did we look tired? Pogba was busting a gut late in the game bursting through the middle of the park, Shaw and Young still found themselves high up the pitch too at the end.Second half was lazy but the boys were never tired.
I still maintain this utd side are not fit as other previous utd sides and most probably mid table table at best with the stat men out there for the prem. League.

Khalifa711

Poor game overall but it's a good win in the end. Had to grind out that result but a good defensive performance.

Lingard was awful today, woeful performance, should have been the first one off.

Sanchez also poor. Hes certainly becoming an enigma, where is the Sanchez of old, the Sanchez of Arsenal? Hes not that old ffs, he couldn't have regressed this much or maybe he has. Maybe is time for him and the management to realise that and if we want to keep him at the club we should address it. Sanchez is no longer a winger, he just doesn't have the pace for it but nevertheless hes still a top top player. We need him to adapt to new role/position, I believe he would be more effective behind the striker as SS/#10.
Now obviously this would require a change in system at the expense of a CM, let's say Herrera but it offers us something completely different. Ole needs to have more in his bag, we can't win every game playing 4-3-3, we need to change the system when we're finding it difficult to break down teams like today.
With Lingard being woeful today, at 60 mins in i would have like to see him being withdrawn along with Herrera and Martial and Lukaku coming on, moving Rashford to the right wing, Sanchez behind Lukaku and Pogba deeper.

Lukaku
Martial..........Sanchez.......Rashford
Matic............Pogba​

Seanus

Was pleasantly surprised that Mike Dean gave us the benefit of doubt in the last 10 mins or so- he had had a shocker till then.

Cockney Phil

That looked like an LVG win, played at the tempo of the Sacked one, and with Moyesian impact subs!

Great goal by Rashford then we stopped the movement. Not sure we can keep carrying Sanchez, perpetually hoping he will do something, and then watching him fail miserably. Once Rashford was hurt our forwards slowed and Lingard was making runs for no one. The defence kept their lines but looked very square and slow at critical times. Bailly and Lindelhof is a better option than Jones, who came on and immediately headed across the area! Matic and Ander kept going, covering errors and trying to hold the middle, at times overwhelmed but kept going. Pogba drifted in and out especially after he was injured. Subs were not at all effective. Rom was utterly useless proving he’s not an impact sub. Martial in the middle might have been a better move. We robbed the foxes, best news of the day.

automaticflare

I thought we played ok.
They were limited to one chance they create themselves from maguires knock down to Evans. Free kick wasn’t really a clear chance but a great attempt and good save all the same.

Sanchez was terrible again I thought
Lukaku when he came on wa shocking at one point in last minute young had the ball on the right and was screaming at him to move and he stood there like a plum. Was just terrible.

Defense was pretty solid I thought.

We need to figure out a way to rest some of our midfield but last day at home to burnley we tried and were caught out.

Delighted with a win. Tough place to go away to Leicester. Super goal as well.

King.of.Red

Well, at least we got 3 points. Relieved.. Happy. Hopefully, Ole can solve our problem today. We definitely can perform better..

JustinC00

This is just the kind of game you get going against Leicester, just in the last month or so

Drew 1-1 with Liverpool (at Anfield)
Lost 4-3 to Wolves (at Molineux) (Wolves needed a 90+3 winner)
Beat City 2-1
Beat Chelsea 1-0 (at Stamford Bridge)

Wasn't out best play our best under Ole but still came away with the win against them in their stadium. Could have been worse, could have been like last year there when we couldn't hold a 2-1 lead and they equalized in stoppage time

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We have really poor replacements in midfield.

Solskjaer clearly doesn't trust Fred, and McTominay just runs about. If we manage to avoid injuries to any of starting midfield 3, they'e going to burn out fast.

*Edit - Very good result given how the game panned out today.

Cpt Negative

This was the match players collectively froze their brains. The match went to a ridiculous level of who is more shite? us or them?

- Alexis, Matic and Pogba all three gave up the game immediately after the goal.
- Young went AWOL
- Bailly started with loose brain but after after receiving knock on head his brain kinda slotted in place. he was okay thereafter

Even Mendy tried so much to get that illusive red card but wasn't successful. He too had a off day with mike dean.

I thought Matic was one of our better players

edgar allan

- Young went AWOL

Anyone seen the Mod's today?

Tony247

I request don't take this performance too seriously. Everyone had a off day, still we won. Shite happens. Take three points and off to next game.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Awful. Just awful.
But you cant say the didnt work hard. They worked hard as hell for this win, and that alone is something i always love to see. Sometimes you can try and try but simply not succeed. Clearly today was one of those days. I am not looking forward to seeing the statistics on how many missed passes we had today.. close to a record?

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

- Young went AWOL

It's certainly a game of opinions isn't it.

Pogba certainly didn't "give up". He was the one who despite taking a heavy knock, still put utterly everything in, making that huge run in the 92nd min that really ate time up.

Meanwhile I don't think Herrera was anywhere near his most effective, with Matic more on it to me. He also had the thankless task of trying to mark one of the best players in the air in the league.

I think that says it all about our centre backs weakness in the air.

All of our best centre back combos would have taken the main threats themselves.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We are barely a top 4 side for a reason.
We were a Top 2 side last season. Ole has had them playing at a faster pace in previous games. Is now realising he has to play some players all the time. Now you can query the fitness regime that Jose was using and that he did not get the players into peak fitness. Lukaku is a lazy asshole though.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 470 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:3 Man Utd