PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 February 2019

Redrich91

Today just highlights why we desperately need a left footed RW and a RB

fergieisold

People saying this was an awful performance seem to think we've played Cardiff away again. LCFC are no pushovers, especially against the big teams.

What I felt we lacked is that final decisive ball but our defense looked a lot more assured with Bailly (Leicester are tough to defend against, just ask Pool).

Sanchez was still nowhere good enough and Lukaku was not much better when he came on. They need to be sold and Young needs to go, together with Darmian and Valencia in the summer.

I don't know what's up with Fred but he seems to have gone down the Bebe route.
Yeh our defence looked decent, we limited them to half chances, decent efforts on goal. We never looked like we were cut through.

Our problem for me was in the middle. We couldn’t get a period of possession and we suffered because of it. Leicester are a good team, they beat city, drew at Anfield etc etc. We weren’t great today but we came away with a win.

Kag

What’s frustrating about today’s performance is that the first ten minutes are probably the best we’ve started a game all season. It’s up there, at least.

Then the players started pratting about and seemed happy to settle for a win after thirty minutes. I was almost willing for a Leicester goal so that we would try and play some football again.

Mentality was the issue today, I think.

Chippa62

Poor performance, but great win. Some sloppy passing all over the pitch. Probably not helped by that pigeon wearing the grey kit :). Still, a win is a win, on to the next.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pogba MOTM. Brilliant past for the winner, similar to some of his assists in the WC.

After that odd game. Both teams got into some good positions but seemed to lose composure as soon as they entered the box, Leicester especially.

Probably one of Man. United's overall poorer performances under OGS but then again Leicester is a tricky away game and three points all that matters when you're chasing a team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What’s frustrating about today’s performance is that the first ten minutes are probably the best we’ve started a game all season. It’s up there, at least.

Then the players started pratting about and seemed happy to settle for a win after thirty minutes. I was almost willing for a Leicester goal so that we would try and play some football again.

Mentality was the issue today, I think.
It's been the case for the past 3-4 games. I know it's hard to keep the focus 100% during the entire game but we keep alarmingly decrease in control match after match. It is worrying when you consider the crazy run of game coming

Gordon S

I wonder why we have stopped attacking the way we did before?
I get the feeling that Ole is more interested now in that clean sheet, that defensive shape, more than our attacking progress.

Would prefer if we tried to attack more, with more urgency, we always look better when we do.

madzo2007

We didn't look tired at all, it was a tight game with plenty of sloppiness from both sides. Pogba was running full pelt before being brought down, Young was running the length of the pitch during a counter towards the end. We can't play free flowing football all the time, we didn't under Fergie. Best teams win when they aren't playing well.

Don't get how a footballer can be tired for a game, they are paid to be highly tuned, fit footballers. Its not as if they are running full pelt all the time its all in short bursts. If people say we were tired then why weren't Leicester tired, they have played the same amount of games as us lately with a smaller squad.

manichester

Scrappy win, some sloppy passes but a great goal. We look short of numbers in midfield to give Matic a rest Hererra does so much work closing down and tackling. Keeper is fantastic.

SoCross

Matic looks knackered, lucky to stay on but made some crucial interceptions. Played well enough IMO, he’s incredibly important to us.

I feel for Young, puts in such a shift but christ, his crossing is awful.

Good win all things considered. Two points off a CL place! Haul Chelsea in and I fancy third too :devil:

Member 115509

I think that win most definitely comes under the "hard won" category, not exactly free-flowing attacking football, but a good result against a team that can be hard to break down at times and have had good recent results against both City and Liverpool.

GM K

Matic was quite good imo, did a lot of tidy defensive work tracking back on their counters.
Yeah. Matic is the type of player whose usefulness is easy to overlook at times. I suspect he did what his manager asked him to do today. Not pleasing to the eyes but effective defensively.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's nice how the glaring weaknesses in our squad have crystallised with Ole.

We can see we need a CB to partner Lindelof. We can see we need a first choice top right back. We can see we badly need an upgrade on Matic and we desperately need an upgrade on Lingard.
Was only a matter of time. I reckon we need more than you're saying though if we truly want you compete.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We were a Top 2 side last season. Ole has had them playing at a faster pace in previous games. Is now realising he has to play some players all the time. Now you can query the fitness regime that Jose was using and that he did not get the players into peak fitness. Lukaku is a lazy asshole though.
Look at us over the last 4 seasons, it's about our average. And I expect those fitness levels to dramatically improve next season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just wondering if Ole might consider using Greenwood as a sub for a game and leave Sanchez or Lukaku out? Surely we have nothing to lose if we try that?

AndyMUFC

Was a tired performance with a lot of sloppy passing but that is a very tough game and we've come away with three points. I didn't think either side were great really but we defended well with what they threw at us.

I'd definitely try and make sure that midfield three don't play 90 minutes against Fulham if we can help it though, so that they're fresh for PSG.

Irwin99

Special mention to Mike Dean who managed to find 8 yellow cards in that game
Glad someone brought that up, that was an absolute mess of a performance from the ref. Both sides were combative but it wasn't dirty.

Although Leicester didn't exactly play well they're a bloody horrible side to face. I'm just thankful we won.

It wasn't a great performance but every player gave it their all. Matic and Herrera might have made a few misplaced passes but their workrate was fantastic, and Pogba drove us forward as usual. I thought Young was ok for most of the game but he switched off for their last chance at the end of the match...could have been costly :nervous:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just wondering if Ole might consider using Greenwood as a sub for a game and leave Sanchez or Lukaku out? Surely we have nothing to lose if we try that?
Greenwood would put more of a shift in because he has something to prove. Not sure those two think they need to prove anything.

Jazz

Was a tired performance with a lot of sloppy passing but that is a very tough game and we've come away with three points. I didn't think either side were great really but we defended well with what they threw at us.

I'd definitely try and make sure that midfield three don't play 90 minutes against Fulham if we can help it though, so that they're fresh for PSG.
Or at least sub one or two of them as early as possible if we're well in control at Fulham. Matic especially needs a rest.

Shimo

Yay 3 points but, I don't understand how sometimes we can look so top class with the ball and moving it and other times we can't just make the simple pass to keep possession.

Pogba looked knackered at the end and did a bit to much moaning when things didn't come off - when things are not falling his way, he needs to not throw a hissy and get on with it, otherwise makes the rest of the team anxious. Think OGS got his subs wrong - should have taken out Lingard off earlier, was on a yellow and was not doing much going forward. The front 3 today were nowhere fluid enough which was surprising.

Got the 3 points but, now need to get back that speed and fluidity we are more than capable of.

KettleBlack

Young was really off today. He just never managed to disposess the Leicester attackers, and when he was on the ball he managed to lose posession again and again.

Generally I thought it was an interesting tactic to sit low. Leicesters strength is on the counter, and they struggle against an in-balance defensive line. But the execution was just embarassingly sloppy.

Drawfull

Leicester quite often raise their game against the Top 6 sides, so to get out of there with three points is something. Just be happy.
They can't be happy. Everything's a crisis without any perspective or reasoning.

Were we great today? Not by any stretch. Have Leicester caused trouble for all the top sides? Yes, yes they have.

We're 9-1-0 and people still moan at every little thing. it makes their comments today, which might be more justified, carry little weight.

Jazz

Greenwood would put more of a shift in because he has something to prove. Not sure those two think they need to prove anything.
I would honestly try it. Not getting anything from those two so no big loss either way.

Imagine we are stuck with such high earners not doing much.

SAFMUTD

We looked really tired as the game went on after a bright start, no standout performances really so I gave De Gea MOTM, lovely goal but we didn't create enough after that and it brings more spotlight on reliant we are on Pogba to craft an opening for us, he needs some help in that department.
This.

I think is becoming a problem due to the lack of options, specially in the midfield. As soon as Matic got tired we started to lay lower, ideally Ole should sub him for a fresh player but seeing the options on the bench I understand why he didnt.

OldSchoolManc

Ole proves he can win ugly.
It was never going to be a walk in the park for the rest of the season.
Hats off and realise where we were before Ole.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Jose would have been proud of that performance and result.
Thanks for your input, Bristol Rovers fan, but you are wrong.

Under Jose, we would have conceded at some point during the game, most likely in the last 20 minutes when he would have ordered the entire team to line-up on the 18-yard line.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The midfield looks tired.
I didn't think we looked tired but we were very scrappy and quite casual with our passing.

Before the start I would have gladly taken a scrappy win so poor performance but great result.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Now this is the kind of performance Mourinho would be very proud of.....

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Heavy legs. We have many players who are looking more and more sluggish. OSG has a tough job in the next few weeks with a heavy schedule and important games. I don't know how he is going to rest Pogba, Rashford, Matic and Herrera though.

Sanchez misplaced many passes just like last week. He really should have made that one near the end of the half with a through ball. His execution was a complete failure and it wasn't that hard.

Pogba is one of the best at the cushion pass. He is able to make the one-touch pass with just the right pace and accuracy so often. I think he is becoming the most fun-to-watch midfielder in the world.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
In the end they didn’t really threaten did they? But we were far far too careless. Some really poor performances today. Quality on show from Rashford and Pogba at certain moments saw us through. The goal was pure class from both.

GiddyUp

Just like to say again Herrera needs a new contract, right fecking now.

I dont care if he isnt a top quality centre mid, the poor guy has to play RB RCM and CDM by himself at times, when Young and Matic have stinkers.
It's a scandal that Young, Smalling and Valencia wear the captain's armband over Herrera.

Jazz

Pure anxiety today imho given how close we are to top four. It happens. I definitely believe this was half the problem.

We just need to keep plugging away.

minoo-utd

I don't care how we win as long as we do and climb the table. What worries me is that our midfielders and full backs looked very tired.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 470 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:3 Man Utd