PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2019

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah, looked like the plan was to protect the back four as much as possible, and they succeeded in that. Attacking wise, we were poor. It does not help that Matic was crap, and Mata and Periera could barely hold on to the ball.
And we had Martial missing, don't forget

Hammondo

Defensively it was our best perfomance of the season. Did anyone notice Jamie Vardy or Demirai Gray ? Going forward we were poor - but we have a thing squad and without Martial and Pogba...well
We have been poor going forward every game but the Chelsea game.

DevilRed

Play Fred, Pogba and McSauce in the next PL game ffs. Keep Matic and Mata in the stands
Couldn't agree more. Give that trio a go because it looks the most balanced, mobile and hard working of any we have right now.

Fred looked half decent coming on today. At the very least he is the type of player that fits in with our pressing style.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pretty comfortable win considering all the injuries we had.
I don't like seeing that kind of football, but sometimes it works, like today.

mav_9me

We seem to be unable to pressure the opposition midfield properly. Much too easy for them to get through us and to take possession off us.

We need to work on this and actually then can we start creating meaningful chances on the other end.
Direct result of having Mata and Matic in there.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
And people actually think this Leicester City team is better than ours and will finished above us this season :lol:. They're fecking shit and create nothing apart from the 1 shot that De Gea saved. 3 points, clean sheet, and a small step to build from here. Onwards and upwards
Nevermind that, people were saying they wouldn't mind Rodgers as our manager!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Great second half performance from McTominay...first half he looked after Madison well but gave away the ball too cheaply. Second half it looked near impossible to get it off him.

Maguire and Lindelof had their best game together by a long way. James is a massive bonus seeing as we signed him as a "gamble". We looked better when Fred came on for Matic though possibly mainly because it gave us a bit more energy.

Wasn't a great game but I felt fairly comfortable that we'd see it out. Without Pogba and Martial that was a big win because we're so stupidly stretched as soon as we lose a couple of attacking players. Leicester played Chelsea off the park at Stamford Bridge only a couple of weeks ago.

Wasn't like a Mourinho performance at all. Not enough quality on the ball but we were pressing them in their own half right until the last minute. Under Jose the entire last half hour no one other than Rashford would have crossed the halfway line...and it'd have been Fellaini and Jones on, not Fred and Chong.

Though am guessing half of redcafe turned the game off in a fury fairly early on due to Rashford scoring and Matic being in the team.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
A win so bad that you would think that a loss would be better so fans won’t assume we are better than we are at the moment :lol:. This is just papering over the cracks.

Our defense looks solid though, but that is what you should expect after spending £130m to fix it last summer

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
McTominay was very good in midfield, and that defence did very well as a unit and offered very little to a dangerous Leicester team. Attack looks toothless, but we know without Martial the attack is light, and the absence of one of him and Rashford actually diminishes the other players around the attack as well.
What utter crap!

Vardy and Rashford were pretty much nullified. One took his chance and scored, the other was well marshalled.

I'm off. Posts like these when we win, make me depressed

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We scored the PK, kept a clean sheet, and Andreas, Young, and Scott were not terrible.

That stands as a good day for us currently.

BlahRules

Lucky? How?

See above

What team doesn't waste a bit of time in added time protecting a 1-0 lead? Errr. all of them

Oh and you, can do one!
We didn’t create one clear cut chances and if it wasn’t for the penalty we would have scraped a draw or loss.

If Leicester had scored, do you think we would had scored a goal? I don’t think so.

ExoduS

Damn who shit in your cornflakes?
Manchester United did with this performance. I get up every damn morning (I live in United States) to watch this team and support them. I don't expect titles, it's ok to be second/third. I expect fight, performance that looks like I am supporting a team, not bunch of discombobulated individuals. Is that too much to ask for? I might be a bad fan, and should just support this team no matter what. I mean off course I will continue to support them, but man I want to see a fight. I want to see desire, grit, I want to see a damn team out there trying to represent the colors of Manchester United. We have two legends as our coaches, we have decent group of players to give us performance much better than this.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Caf says...

Fluke win. Ole is clueless.
Leicester forum says...

Rodgers beaten by a 3rd team coach. The team beaten by a 3rd string team. Rodgers completely outsmarted today. No doubt about it.
This is why fans are often the worst judges of their own teams! :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Early pen was a massive booster, as that calmed us from the off.

Never looked in much difficulty, but didn't really create more than a couple of long range punts.

However, with two very key players out, also include Shaw in that, a very key win.

So much for all that stuff about how Leicester have a better team and we'd get smashed!

DevilRed

Great second half performance from McTominay...first half he looked after Madison well but gave away the ball too cheaply. Second half it looked near impossible to get it off him.

Maguire and Lindelof had their best game together by a long way. James is a massive bonus seeing as we signed him as a "gamble". We looked better when Fred came on for Matic though possibly mainly because it gave us a bit more energy.

Wasn't a great game but I felt fairly comfortable that we'd see it out. Without Pogba and Martial that was a big win because we're so stupidly stretched as soon as we lose a couple of attacking players. Leicester played Chelsea off the park at Stamford Bridge only a couple of weeks ago.

Wasn't like a Mourinho performance at all. Not enough quality on the ball but we were pressing them in their own half right until the last minute. Under Jose the entire last half hour no one other than Rashford would have crossed the halfway line...and it'd have been Fellaini and Jones on, not Fred and Chong.

Though am guessing half of redcafe turned the game off in a fury fairly early on due to Rashford scoring and Matic being in the team.
Lindelof is ok as long as there is no physical aerial threat against him.

But he looks the weak link in our back four. I wonder how long before Axel takes his place? Tuanzebe looks like an absolute unit.

Irwin99

A bit of a painful watch but you’d take anything after our sluggish start to the season. Also having Pogba and martial out is a huge miss so the three points are all that counts.

Usual balance issues- team looked more solid defensively without Pogba but struggled to create anything besides giving the ball to James. Rashford was poor again. Mctominay, Young and Maguire played well, lindelof recovered after an early error with a decent display.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
  • Very important win for us.
  • Defence was very good
  • Mctominay gave us much needed energy
  • Periera is the most pointless player ever. Must be a very nice bloke to get so much game time.
  • James was excellent in the opening half hour.
  • Second half peformance was terrible at times. In general we really don't look a well coached team.
  • Good to see Chong come on. I thought he did well.

DevilRed

We scored the PK, kept a clean sheet, and Andreas, Young, and Scott were not terrible.

That stands as a good day for us currently.
I've figured that Young is decent for a maximum of 3-4 matches on the trot. Also you MUST play him on the left side.

When is Shaw back? :nervous:

Esquire

Let’s get ready for plenty of games like that where we do not look fluid and have to eke out wins or settle for draws. We simply don’t have good enough players to be any better than that. But it was a good win nonetheless.

meamth

The state of the caf is disgusting to be honest.

When we lose, sack Ole.
When we draw, season is over.
When we win, boring.
When we win 4-0, luck.

We've been really unlucky for the past 3 games, we needed to get that 3 points first. Today is the day.

Under Fergie there were dull games like these, I couldn't even bothered. At least this wasn't as bad as LVG's boring football.

We won after international break, ugly or not, its the 3 points what matters.

Amerifan

I think most will agree with McTominay as MOTM. The absolute chasm that exists between the top 6 PL teams and us in terms of passing, movement and creativity isn't closing but widening.
What? Chasm between the top 6 teams and us? Did you even read what you wrote?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
great win with those injuries, but let the moaning commence
I don't think half the people in here actually really pay attention to the game or the circumstances. THey just get annoyed at any United player who doesn't put in a solid 10/10 Messi performance.

Because when we were winning titles we never ground out 1-0 wins against dangerous opposition when we had key players missing.

That was our best performance of the season for me. It was a boring game to watch but we looked organised, composed, worked hard. Some of our players seemed to grow when the game got more difficult rather than shrink. Also the only game this season where we haven't just switched off for part of it.

We all know we need better players so I really don't get the point in slagging these ones off when they actually go out and do a decent job of it.

DoomSlayer

What utter crap!

Vardy and Rashford were pretty much nullified. One took his chance and scored, the other was well marshalled.

I'm off. Posts like these when we win, make me depressed
RedCafe depresses me in general lately so I've stopped posting, to be honest. Some of the things people say are unbelievable.

And the worst part is noone wants to actually do something if they are fed up of the club, players, owners or whoever else. Only moaning to no end but then we see fans at OT do nothing to try and change our situation. Either fully support the team or put pressure on the board, we are just staying in the middle and prefer to do nothing. It's crazy to me, absolutely crazy.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We completely shut Leicester down today. Everyone grafted and we dragged ourselves to a one nil win despite us missing two key players.

Anyone criticising our players today can frankly feck off. Yeah we weren't setting the world alight in attack, but we did enough to win the game with what we have at our disposal

haram

Missed the second half but 3 points and a penalty scored with players missing! Could be much worse.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Haven't seen any highlights yet so can't comment on the game but I do remember SAF's first season: we were pretty much as shite as we are now. what I hope is Ole goes all out to win the Europa (I'm not sure he will - I think he thinks we can get into top four). A couple of years ago, Jose knew the score and definitely set his sights on europa. Only by winning that do we have a realistic chance of attracting the top players we need (the likes of Sancho) to mount a challenge. What worries me is Ole reportedly talked about playing Sanchez in the Europa (before the loan deal) which means it's secondary to him...

Axle17

A win but by God...there is honestly barely any improvement from previous years.

Boring going forward with the same tactics of just utilising the left. We've been doing this same attack for years and our opponents know this (poor Dan James}.
Our counter attack play is embarrassing.
We are still hesitant on early subs even when we are only 1 nill up.

Pereira is not upto standard. Mata is finished. Rashford needs a head shake.

Chong and Fred come on and the game opens up...duhh!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Shocking performance but three points mattered more than anything else today. We could do with grinding out a few 1-0s to get the confidence of the team up. No point in outplaying the opposition but giving up s-t goals and walking away without wins.

Esquire

The stats show who we are.

This squad is incapable of retaining the ball & consistently creating chances.

If this squad is as it is by design then I pray the Saudi’s hurry up & buy us because it is a chore to watch us.
It’s a chore but I think this is actually an accurate reflection of where we are. From a team cohesion standpoint I thought we were better especially in midfield where we didn’t have to carry Pogba’s laziness but of course lost out on his creativity. It will definitely and up and down year mate and I still won’t we will make top 4.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Caf says...

Leicester forum says...

This is why fans are often the worst judges of their own teams! :lol:
I'm liking the Leicester forum comment:drool:

Objectively though, they were beaten by a team riddled with injuries. They were in a strong position and made nothing of the opportunity.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Game would have felt very different if we weren’t 1-0 up all the way, but we were. I’m glad we didn’t need to score a second, as weren’t looking likely.

Thankfully, we were very solid today and gave away very little aside from the early chance. Best defensive performance in a long time.

The manager also got his subs right, but they could have been a tad sooner. Chong was very lively and Fred looked terrific, grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

Dinghy

Good result and the best we could hope for with these players. The lack of technical ability in some of them are laughable to witness at a club of this stature. Watching a player like Mata "running" around doing nothing and being incapable of receiving the ball under any sort of pressure while Leicester's number 10 is dominating the game just makes you realize how shit we've been on the transfer market for years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Also people keep going on about Leicester being this excellent team full of players who would walk into our team. They really aren't. Teilemans is the perfect example. Plays a few decent passes every and gets hyped up as some incredible CM we missed out on. I genuinely can't see what people have seen in him. He's competent I guess but not much more than that as of now in his career.
Maddison is the one player in that team that stands out for me, and did so today as well. But it didn't come together for him.

We had our two best players in Pogba and Martial out. Our starting left back Shaw was injured. And we still won with then creating sod all. I felt our peformance was pretty poor but Leicester are very overrated. I suppose it's nothing in comparison to the nonsensical hype over Wolves.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 438 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester
  • 16% Man Utd 1:2 Leicester