PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 September 2022

MegadrivePerson

The most enjoyable thing about this result is that it was built on being solid defensively and hard work.

Its the kind of game we'd have probably lost in recent years.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Leicester are trash defensively. With more confidence and Antony in the team instead of Elanga, we could have scored 4 here.
When has the current form of opponent ever relevant ? Watford who got relegated hit us 4 last year. We shipped 5 against the same Leicester last year. Come on, let's get some facts in to context.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Very like the Southampton game, job done but nowhere near the class of past United sides (and others today in the PL). Top sides would have put Leicester away - my guess is Halaand alone is likely to get at least three against them.

It's still glaringly obvious that we need a centre forward; someone who can hold the ball up to bring others in and sniff out half/less than half chances. We had no one of that description on the field (or really on the bench as I don't see Ronaldo as a centre forward, although we did look more of a threat when he came on). Rashford isn't - and never will be - that, and I strongly doubt Martial is either. We will pay for a lack of goals on a number of occasions this season (possibly starting on Sunday).

That said, there have been very obvious improvements. People look much more confident on the ball (although there is still room for this to get better), the defence looks much more solid and calm, players are biting into tackles and closing down much better (Vardy didn't get a sniff) and we look more suited to long balls out of the back rather than the disasters of the first two games.

I think the game proved that those calling for Ronaldo to commit hari kari or to be sacrificed to the gods are wrong. His commitment is clear and his class should never be doubted. As I said, thought, he is not a No.9.

Really plus points are those who some here doubted are starting to look the players I always said they could be: McT and Dalot are the obvious examples. Yes, we could get improvements but right now they are doing enough to be at least considered for starting positions. Meanwhile, Casemiro and particularly Martinez look very shrewd buys. I can see Martinez becoming as loved as Vidic, Rio and Staam if he continues like this.

I'd still like to see Garnacho given some time to show what he can do, but we need to score more goals to give him that chance and we don't look like doing that in games.

Finally, for the first time in ages I'm finding it hard to name a Man of the Match for a good reason

justsomebloke

Very like the Southampton game, job done but nowhere near the class of past United sides (and others today in the PL). Top sides would have put Leicester away - my guess is Halaand alone is likely to get at least three against them.

It's still glaringly obvious that we need a centre forward; someone who can hold the ball up to bring others in and sniff out half/less than half chances. We had no one of that description on the field (or really on the bench as I don't see Ronaldo as a centre forward, although we did look more of a threat when he came on). Rashford isn't - and never will be - that, and I strongly doubt Martial is either. We will pay for a lack of goals on a number of occasions this season (possibly starting on Sunday).

That said, there have been very obvious improvements. People look much more confident on the ball (although there is still room for this to get better), the defence looks much more solid and calm, players are biting into tackles and closing down much better (Vardy didn't get a sniff) and we look more suited to long balls out of the back rather than the disasters of the first two games.

I think the game proved that those calling for Ronaldo to commit hari kari or to be sacrificed to the gods are wrong. His commitment is clear and his class should never be doubted. As I said, thought, he is not a No.9.

Really plus points are those who some here doubted are starting to look the players I always said they could be: McT and Dalot are the obvious examples. Yes, we could get improvements but right now they are doing enough to be at least considered for starting positions. Meanwhile, Casemiro and particularly Martinez look very shrewd buys. I can see Martinez becoming as loved as Vidic, Rio and Staam if he continues like this.

I'd still like to see Garnacho given some time to show what he can do, but we need to score more goals to give him that chance and we don't look like doing that in games.
Had to smile reading and thinking about that. Just imagine Evans trying to deal with that pace and power. Just Elanga made him look like he was running in treacle on several occasions yesterday.

lex talionis

Apart from the free kick, De Gea was never bothered. Fantastic, but even though we all recognize we need to learn how to crawl before can walk, I’d like to see a little chance creation at this stage.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Had to smile reading and thinking about that. Just imagine Evans trying to deal with that pace and power. Just Elanga made him look like he was running in treacle on several occasions yesterday.
to be fair, it's the first time I've seen Evans struggle that much (and he wasn't the only one, he did a lot of covering for fullbacks left in Elanga's wake). I've said for ages Evans is better than Maguire but time might finally be starting to catch up with him and it might do it very quickly now that it has started (as it did to Gary Neville)

bond19821982

Sure, if you expect us to be trash again this year.
It has nothing to do with us being thrash. Even during Fergie days, we have had tricky banana skins . The point is away matches are always tricky. They could turn up any day .

Hughes35

Good win. Casemiro looks decent. Rashford was below his usual standard. Leicester might get relegated.
He really wasn't, he's been awful for about 2 years (apart from the Liverpool game)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It has nothing to do with us being thrash. Even during Fergie days, we have had tricky banana skins . The point is away matches are always tricky. They could turn up any day .
Except Leicester didn't turn up yesterday either. The defending for the goal was shambolic even for someone who watched his team ship 53 premier league goals last season.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm surprised with some of the comments here. After that match I have become very excited about the season because we played some sparkling football. The score could easily have been 2-0 or 3-0 and a very comfortable win. It was a little of a nail biter.

- One touch passing is back and it will get even better when Casimero starts. He and Eriksen are going to revamp our midfield and their play will be contagious to the whole team.
- Defense was very solid. Now I'm starting to believe all of you Maguire haters because it's obvious a agile and quick CB pair is so important. I've been a Maguire defender but I now see Varane and Lisandro are much better than anyone with Maguire.
- Bruno was much better than the last match. He still has room for improvement especially with the accuracy of his passes. He probably cost us at least 3 good opportunities to score when he missed his target by 10 meters.
- I'm anxious to see if ETH can coach Rashford into being a better hold-up striker.

Can't wait for Sunday. Arsenal should be concerned after that performance.

ChippyTea

Surprised by some of the complaints - The ship had to be steadied, we were in total freefall after the 4-0 to Brentford and ETH has done an unreal job to get us maximum points against Liverpool, Southampton and Leicester which is not to be sniffed at based on the horrible place the team was in. I would expect that the attacking football will develop but right now it's about getting the basics right and a solidity we have been lacking since at least the start of 21/22 season.

Maticmaker

I'd say that when you're a forward who created three quarters of the team's scoring chances, it would take some fairly spectacular failures in other aspects of the game to warrant being described as having had a bad game. Not sure he was that bad in his overall game.
As I said, we will have to agree to differ, if you consider 'creating' is his job, and not scoring to boot, is enough!
I think that not competing for the ball, always second to the ball, not having one shot on target, getting repeatedly caught 'back on his heels', etc. are all fairly spectacular failures for a player with the game time Rashford has under his belt.
If it was any other player, I might think he's in a 'want away mode'..." I am a distressed player get me out of here."
I've always liked Marcus and I do hope he can get out of this situation he is in but keep giving him a 'pass' on well below par performances doesn't in my opinion help, him, or the team.

As I said earlier if Martial had not been injured, I suspect Marcus would be warming the bench.

Westerkerk

Very good defensive performance, average offensive performance (bar the goal) - I hope Antony improves our wing play but the need for a decent striker is clear to see

I like the way the team felt like it was 'together' and the proverbial ship appears to have been steadied

We have to take it game by game at the moment

bond19821982

Except Leicester didn't turn up yesterday either. The defending for the goal was shambolic even for someone who watched his team ship 53 premier league goals last season.
Because we didn't let them. The goal came from a quick thinking pass from Eriksen and then, an interception from Dalot. So lets give the team some credit than putting everything on the other team being " shit".

RedorDead21

I'm surprised with some of the comments here. After that match I have become very excited about the season because we played some sparkling football. The score could easily have been 2-0 or 3-0 and a very comfortable win. It was a little of a nail biter.

- One touch passing is back and it will get even better when Casimero starts. He and Eriksen are going to revamp our midfield and their play will be contagious to the whole team.
- Defense was very solid. Now I'm starting to believe all of you Maguire haters because it's obvious a agile and quick CB pair is so important. I've been a Maguire defender but I now see Varane and Lisandro are much better than anyone with Maguire.
- Bruno was much better than the last match. He still has room for improvement especially with the accuracy of his passes. He probably cost us at least 3 good opportunities to score when he missed his target by 10 meters.
- I'm anxious to see if ETH can coach Rashford into being a better hold-up striker.

Can't wait for Sunday. Arsenal should be concerned after that performance.
We’ll be tired and doubtful impressive because of it. Takes longer than 5 games to come to terms with that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Because we didn't let them. The goal came from a quick thinking pass from Eriksen and then, an interception from Dalot. So lets give the team some credit than putting everything on the other team being " shit".
We played well, especially defensively but if you think the goal is some kind of blistering move, that's a bit deceptive. The entire defense followed the ball, forgetting Sancho was even on the pitch, only to see him walk onto an easy layoff from Rashford and finish with all the time in the world. Even Maguire and Shaw of last season were more attentive in defence.

The Irish Connection

Away fans were brilliant with the Glazers out chants!

We played well in patches only. Getting Casemiro and Antony in the lineup asap is a must.

steffyr2

This is what you would expect a really good manager should do to the team. Lots of players playing unrecognizably better (Dalot, McT, Bruno...) and as a whole more organized. Playing much faster, almost all players releasing balls really. The first two games of the season were a trainwreck but maybe they were a blessing in disguise as Glazers shitted their pants and made funds available for Casemiro and Antony. CR is also still here and he doesn't have any other option than to knuckle down get off his high horse and starts playing as instructed. We could be in for a nice season.
So you agree that the Glazers are great owners!

Witchking

Good progress and defensively we look great. I am just hoping that we win against Arsenal and also that this run of games is not seen as we see LvG's 4 game run where we were good :nervous:

Need to continue the progress.

steffyr2

Awwwwwwww. The truth hurts, huh?
What The Sporting News says for PL spending this year -- I'm sure someone can dredge up the PL spending for the last 10 years or so, but iirc, Utd is at the top of that list too.
ClubExpenditureIncomeNet spend
Chelsea£253.79m£49.32m-£204.47m
Man United£214.22m£10.35m-£203.87m
West Ham£163.80m£16.02m-£147.78m
Notts Forest£145.76m£6.30m-£139.46m
Newcastle£122.40m-£122.40m
Tottenham£152.91m£34.88m-£118.04m
Arsenal£118.86m£21.42m-£97.44m
Wolves£122.94m£51.39m-£71.55m
Southampton£59.76m-£59.76m
Brentford£45.45m£3.24m-£42.21m
Fulham£55.26m£18.81m-£36.45m
Everton£78.48m£52.20m-£26.28m
Crystal Palace£31.14m£4.91m-£26.23m
Aston Villa£63.0m£37.80m-£25.20m
Bournemouth£24.21m-£24.21m
Liverpool£81.27m£72.63m-£8.64m
Leeds United£99.13m£97.38m-£1.75m
Man City£125.55m£143.91m+£18.36m
Leicester City£15.30m£73.26m+£57.96m
Brighton£43.02m£102.51m+£59.49m
TOTAL£2.016bn£796.33m-£1.219b

Oluwaplumpie

Personally I think the assessment of Rashford on here has gone a bit overboard. Sure, he's not back where he was at his best, but he was good against Liverpool and he was good yesterday too. Not just an assist, he also created two good scoring chances with accurate, smart passes from the right after breaking through with good runs in cramped positions. Absolutely invisible against Southampton though.
How many attacks did he break down?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What The Sporting News says for PL spending this year -- I'm sure someone can dredge up the PL spending for the last 10 years or so, but iirc, Utd is at the top of that list too.
Lifetime ban

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
How many attacks did he break down?
A few did breakdown with him yes, but I think it is natural that would be the case, CF is somewhere he hasn't played regularly for us for quite a few years so it is a readjustment for him, but one I am sure he can make in time.

Last night wasn't great, but it wasn't all that bad either and if he is playing like that and still capable of goal creating actions/contributions then it bodes well for when he does adjust back.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Ah yes, good ownership is equal to high transfer outlay.

God tier analysis there mate. Absolutely nailed it.

dave2528

A few did breakdown with him yes, but I think it is natural that would be the case, CF is somewhere he hasn't played regularly for us for quite a few years so it is a readjustment for him, but one I am sure he can make in time.

Last night wasn't great, but it wasn't all that bad either and if he is playing like that and still capable of goal creating actions/contributions then it bodes well for when he does adjust back.
It's been almost an entire year since he had surgery on his shoulder. How long should that take to come back from and how does that excuse his errant passes straight to defenders?

I actually thought Rashford started out pretty well last night and while not great, it certainly wasn't his worst match overall in the last 12 months. That said, if his performances are suffering because of the lingering effects of the surgery or the underlying issues that necessitated the surgery in the first place, then that's not good. On the other hand, if he isn't crocked, then he just isn't reliable enough to be a nailed on starter.

For whatever reason this looks like who he is as a player and maybe he isn't going to get better than this.

Speako

Really nice to see us essentially grind out a 1-0 away win. After the effort we put in against Liverpool, I honestly thought we’d drop a point or two over the next two tricky away games. Fair play to the team for digging in and getting the results, and for ETH in using his squad effectively. If we can get a win on Sunday then that’s a brilliant recovery post Brentford. I just hope we don’t need to rest legs in defence against Arsenal and can maintain the same back four.

mshnsh

These are the type of performances that should be coming towards the end of the season for the title not at the beginning and not vs a poor Leicester City side. But on the positive side, a win is a win and it will inject confidence into the team. Hopefully we really get going vs Arsenal on Sunday.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's been almost an entire year since he had surgery on his shoulder. How long should that take to come back from and how does that excuse his errant passes straight to defenders?
Perhaps you could point to the part of my post where I excused said errant passes.

My point isn't one of fitness, which I feel is returning to him, but more feel for/how to orientate himself in a role that he hasn't played for a number of years. That is all.

The technical stuff is a mixture of that, learning a new system and poor play, most of which will get ironed out over the course of the year if he continues as a CF.

DSG

Great to get a win and a clean sheet. Coming together defensively.

But I’m nervous, truth be told.

Soton and Leicester offered next to nothing going forward. When I watch the intensity of Leeds and Newcastle pressing, and then I watch Rashford stroll around the pitch and lose every 50/50 challenge with no hold up play and mis control every pass, I want to pull my hair out. He’s not a striker.

I do think we’ve had the fortune of relatively easy fixtures.

Finally, for the first time in ages I'm finding it hard to name a Man of the Match for a good reason
Good post.

I think Casemiro and Eriksen in the double pivot will be excellent. You can already see Casemiro’s positioning and ball winning affecting the side positively. Also, one touch passing with Eriksen and Casemiro is now possible!!! McFred are woeful one-touch passers.

I have been on record as anti-Dalot because he was awful last season defensively and pretty bad this season so far. Yesterday was his best match defensively by a mile. I’ll say one thing for him, he has no problems fouling the opposition. If Ten Hag can make Dalot into even an average defender, that would be quite an accomplishment.

Scotty will hopefully move to his rightful place within the squad: rotation squad player and sub. I really think he can flourish in that role, he was never good enough to be in our first choice 11, but I’ve always seen him as a Darren Fletcher type, someone who has the mentality to perform in derbies and big games.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Rashford has 3 senior medals to his name. He also won both a FA Cup (2016) and a League Cup (2017).
Apologies regarding those domestic trophies, I stand corrected.

My point remains though. On this post-match thread, plus a dedicated thread on whether or not Rashford deserves a place in the starting lineup loads and loads have things have been said: back injury and continued to play, changes in managers and poor coaching, the impact of Ronaldo and its effect on the speed at which United play, got too involved in politics, the psychological hangover from Euro ‘21 etc. etc.

But at the end of the day with both Rashford and Raducanu it all comes down to one thing: too much too soon.

He needs someone to sit down with him (not his close associates who have probably been telling him he is great even when he isn’t) to tell him straight what he needs to do to fulfil his early potential. He can be a champion, he can be the best he can be & hopefully Erik Ten Hag can do this.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Top sides would have put Leicester away - my guess is Halaand alone is likely to get at least three against them.
Now I’m stuck with the image of Robot Head taking kick-off, passing back to himself, hoofing it upfield, and zooming into a perfect position to bullet-head it past the keeper.

sokol11

So you agree that the Glazers are great owners!
Why would that imply I support Glazers? They are leeches but our failures were not lack of investment but miss-investment. Dreaming that Giggs, Carrick, Ole have what it takes to modernize the team going forward etc. We will see what ETH will achieve but early signs look promising. Ne nonsense with so called star players, adaptability in tactic, improvements all across the team. I can live with that.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 378 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd